The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 01-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #41
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammy85 View Post
I agree too. I never liked "The Grybyx" at all, and it was the only episode in the third season to feature the Neutrinos. "Hot Rodding" was the best.

I wonder how they partnered up too, or why, when Krang was banished to Earth, that they sent him in his heavily armed Technodrome as well? Not too bright! I guess Saki was spying on Yoshi in the sewers and was kidnapped by Krang. Saki begged for Krang's help and Krang gave him his armor, technologically enhanced Foot Soldiers and "experimental mutagen".

I also wonder why they never bothered to bring the Technodrome to the surface at all. Maybe Krang was waiting until he finally had a new body before doing so, then the Turtles interfered.
As for the Grybyx episode it had convient plot points like Kala's pet becomes a predator when he eats. How else is the little guy going to live and be healthy? That didn't make much snese and doused with water and he reverts to normal? So food makes him big and scary and drink makes him revert.

I don't know about the kidnap part or giving him his armor. I always imagined Saki furnished that on his own,but the rest I agree with. I believe you are right in Krang biding his time with the Technodrome underground at the sewer level until Shredder did his end of their deal.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #42
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Krang had to stay underground during the first season until he could complete the dimensional portal and summon reenforcements. This is established in "Hot Rodding Teenagers..."

Heck, one of the first things Krang did once he brought The Technodrome back to Earth in season two was go underground again, although that was mainly to begin the Earthquake attacks on the city, it made good tactical sense to keep a low profile and replenish their energies since it had worked so well for them in the first season.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #43
cammy85
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Krang had to stay underground during the first season until he could complete the dimensional portal and summon reenforcements. This is established in "Hot Rodding Teenagers..."

Heck, one of the first things Krang did once he brought The Technodrome back to Earth in season two was go underground again, although that was mainly to begin the Earthquake attacks on the city, it made good tactical sense to keep a low profile and replenish their energies since it had worked so well for them in the first season.
Haha, once again you're right, Zarius. In the preceding episode "A Thing About Rats" he was in the mansion as well but I can ignore that.
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #44
TMNT_2010
Thug

This is my least favourite episode from the first season. It feels like it was just made so they could have enough episodes for a whole week. The things that happen in it aren't really important to the story and I find it to be boring actually.

I actually like the Neutrino characters but I hate all the episodes that they appear in.
TMNT_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #45
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT_2010 View Post
This is my least favourite episode from the first season. It feels like it was just made so they could have enough episodes for a whole week. The things that happen in it aren't really important to the story and I find it to be boring actually.

I actually like the Neutrino characters but I hate all the episodes that they appear in.
This episode establishes Dimension X, General Traag and the Rock Soldiers. How is it not important?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #46
TMNT_2010
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
This episode establishes Dimension X, General Traag and the Rock Soldiers. How is it not important?
But then they are just dropped. If you look at the continuity of that first season this episode just doesn't fit. The other 4 all feel like they belong together, this one not so much.
TMNT_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #47
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
But then they are just dropped. If you look at the continuity of that first season this episode just doesn't fit. The other 4 all feel like they belong together, this one not so much.
General Traag and rock soldiers appear in "The Shredder Is Splinter'd" after he appears alongside Lt. Grantior so it has to take place before this episode. Also, it has to take place after "A Thing About Rats" which Krang references his failure to eliminate Splinter with robots in "Hot Rodding Teenagers From Dimension X". It fits perfectly!
Old 01-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #48
Coola Yagami
Overlord

No, they all had importance.

The first ep introduced the characters and gave the general backstory and origin and jazz.
The second featured more of the Technodrome, Krang and mutated Bebop and Rocksteady
The third had Mike encounter Krang, as well as have the workshop where Don would get the Van and Blimp from.
The 4th would introduce more about Dimension X, the Stone Warriors, and the dimensional portal, plus the rest of the gang sees Krang
the final, would of course wrap everything up as we see Kran'g plans to invade Earth, and then have them all be sucked into Dimension X.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #49
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I agree with TMNT_2010 completely on this.

Quote:

sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #50
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
What in the world? We see General Traag and the Rock Soldiers in the finale of the season marching through the portal.

On top of that virtually every season has a Dimension X themed story and General Traag/Rock Soldiers reappear throughout the show. I could never find any Season 1 episode boring, and I always loved the part where they go after the Neutrinos both inside and out of the Technodrome.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #51
sdp
Megan Fox = April

The characters became regular recurring characters and somewhat semi-important though really the rocksoldiers never got a time to shine from what I've seen. But how can you look at the 5 part pilot and say it belongs there, it feels clearly out of place, all the other episodes have some clear connection/arc going on. They obviously connected it but it doesn't fit like the other episodes do.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:32 PM   #52
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
The characters became regular recurring characters and somewhat semi-important though really the rocksoldiers never got a time to shine from what I've seen. But how can you look at the 5 part pilot and say it belongs there, it feels clearly out of place, all the other episodes have some clear connection/arc going on. They obviously connected it but it doesn't fit like the other episodes do.
It belongs there because it establishes where Krang comes from and why he's a warlord.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #53
Killer Moth
Hench Mutant

When compared to the past three episodes, the episode comes off as surprisingly straightforward, albeit with bizarrely-designed guest characters. It would have to be, with the Turtles becoming aware of Krang's existence. It also would establish the tropes that would be with the series until the Red Sky era.

One example would be the first line of villain dialogue in the episode has Krang outright insulting Shredder, and in turn Shredder insults Bebop and Rocksteady once again.

I'll go ahead and do my mini-rant, so skip the next paragraph underneath the Spoiler tag if it isn't your cup of tea:

Spoiler:
It is a personal pet peeve, as why do writers think villains or characters insulting one another constantly is funny? It's one thing when the characters are in equal standing, or semi-equal as shown in the mini-series. And yet, the constant stream of verbal abuse is rather irritating whenever Baxter comes along as Shredder's assistant and the two punks fully become the comedic relief man-children we all grew up with. No wonder Baxter did what he did in "Curse of the Evil Eye."

Or the better question in later seasons is "why didn't Shredder, Krang and the two punks just disband, if they all did is to insult or to be insulted?"

Granted, Shredder started the insulting trend from the first episode on, but this episode is where it becomes the most prominent among all the antagonists in Season 1. Speaking of which, it's curious how the first villain scene began with Krang speaking to Shredder in front of Bebop and Rocksteady. Which begs the question from "Enter the Shredder": were the punks aware of Krang's existence? Or, did Krang finally deign to reveal himself to the punks in between "A Thing About Rats" and this episode? It doesn't much matter, except it's a puzzling detail, especially if one ignores off-camera events. The likely explanation could be a plothole, or Wise dedicing not to flesh out such an introduction for time or pacing reasons.

On a slightly more positive example, the episode appears to be the origin of the running gag line, "I thought we were weird-looking." As said by Bebop and to be said many times over (by Dirtbag and others). Which should make for a cute trivia question, should anyone want to view it that way.

I'll focus on the Turtles, the Neutrinos and the Stone Warriors in the next post. I figured to start with the main villains, as it is the most villain-centric episode of Season 1, so far.

Last edited by Killer Moth; 03-23-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Killer Moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #54
Neutrino
Mouser

Quote:
They had the Starcruiser in the following episodes. I really love this episode it is probably my favorite. I agree the animation is breath taking!
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #55
Tora
Hench Mutant

Anyone ever wonder what became of the other Punk Mutants? I know thw bat got changed back but I wonder what became of the Dog, Snake and the Mole Rat thing?!?

Tora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #56
blindturtle02
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tora View Post
Anyone ever wonder what became of the other Punk Mutants? I know thw bat got changed back but I wonder what became of the Dog, Snake and the Mole Rat thing?!?

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2.../7/71/Gang.jpg
Good question! I got nothin though. I guess they could have started some sort of recently mutated punks support hotline. They must have raked in allot of cash and moved out of NYC. Or those cyberpunks from season 2 might have killed and eaten them. Huh, wonder what mutant snake tastes like? Gotta be better than some of those weird pizza toppings!
Old 08-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #57
rickwj324
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The first thing aliens learn when they arrive on Earth is to speak English, you should know this already.
Or they just borrow a 'universal translator' from Starfleet.
rickwj324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:53 AM   #58
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindturtle02 View Post
Good question! I got nothin though. I guess they could have started some sort of recently mutated punks support hotline. They must have raked in allot of cash and moved out of NYC. Or those cyberpunks from season 2 might have killed and eaten them. Huh, wonder what mutant snake tastes like? Gotta be better than some of those weird pizza toppings!
Last I saw of the other mutants, they were locked up. Rewatch The Shredder is Splintered towards the end before The Rock Soldiers march out into the control room and start firing at The Turtles, the mutated punks do a 'final farewell' while being locked up in a cell in the control room.

~ John Adams
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #59
BlindFaith
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post

On a lesser note, it is possibly the single best animatied episode of anything with the TMNT name on it. The scene where the Rock Soldiers' missile blasts through the pizza parlor is gorgeous.
Very much this. This was my favorite scene in this episode as well Excellent animation! Those eyeball missiles smashing through the windows and the subsequent fight with the Rock Soldiers.

Overall, perhaps there was a bit too much going on in this episode. I understand that they wanted to give some back story information on Krang but the introduction of Dimension X and some new, (very colorful!) characters sort of breaks with the intimate setting and story-line of following the Turtles and April around in the big city looking for the Shredder!

Last edited by BlindFaith; 11-22-2014 at 02:48 PM.
BlindFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #60
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindFaith View Post
Very much this. This was my favorite scene in this episode as well Excellent animation! Those eyeball missiles smashing through the windows and the subsequent fight with the Rock Soldiers.

Overall, perhaps there was a bit too much going on in this episode. I understand that they wanted to give some back story information on Krang but the introduction of Dimension X and some new, (very colorful!) characters sort of breaks with the intimate setting and story-line of following the Turtles and April around in the big city looking for the Shredder!
When Random House adapted the pilot season episodes in their coloring book series, they skipped "Hot Rodding Teenagers" completely but gave the other four episodes a 48-page book each. Maybe you're onto something about there being TOO much craziness in that episode!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
episode discussion, fred wolf series