The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 08-17-2009, 07:58 AM   #1
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Old Toon Discussion Thread- Beneath these Streets

Ah yes, the very first episode of the most popular season, season 3. I kinda forgot what of all this episode was all about except that it introduced the famous transport modules Shredder and co. would always get away in for many episodes to come.

Last edited by Coola Yagami; 08-17-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Beneath These Streets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Ah yes, the very first episode of the most popular season, season 3. I kinda forgot what of all this episode was all about except that it introduced the famous transport modules Shredder and co. would always get away in for many episodes to come.
It's "Beneath These Streets" and here's more about the episode on the TMNT website http://www.ninjaturtles.com/cartoon/guide/cart019.htm.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
themaxonline
Hench Mutant

I always found this to be a pretty boring episode. Not much action or anything.
themaxonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:19 AM   #4
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Earth's core

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxonline View Post
I always found this to be a pretty boring episode. Not much action or anything.
But it at leasts starts one of the longest seasons of the show, with the Technodrome near the Earth's core.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

Rewatching this recently this was a great episode. Splinter attacks Shredder and co and gets zapped, the Turtles feel guilty for going off to see a movie and turning off their Turtle Comm's, and we have a pretty good battle in the sewers at the end to get the ray gun back.

Oddly enough before I watched this episode I forgot everything that happened in it too.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I am not sure why its called Beneath The Streets,but I disagree with the three year old post above here saying it lacked action. I thought it was one of the more character driven episodes. The turtles battle thier dedication to thier call by wanting to watch B-movies all night instead of patrol. They are a unique hero and don't usually patrol but thier dedication to fighting the good fight for justice and stopping Shredder was reflecting that. The suspense with Splinter and the serious yet humorous approach of the villains are shown in this episode. Shredder is serious but in a lighthearted cartoon while seriously wants to kill Splinter at the same time. Bebop and Rocksteady are their typical goofy selves and begin about this time to be incompetent goofs used for the comedic relief. Its the first of two STRONG episodes to start this episode set.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I am not sure why its called Beneath The Streets,
This is the first episode that the Technodrome and Shredder/Krang are trapped under the Earth's crust, hence, "Beneath these Streets."

Quote:
but I disagree with the three year old post above here saying it lacked action. I thought it was one of the more character driven episodes. The turtles battle thier dedication to thier call by wanting to watch B-movies all night instead of patrol. They are a unique hero and don't usually patrol but thier dedication to fighting the good fight for justice and stopping Shredder was reflecting that. The suspense with Splinter and the serious yet humorous approach of the villains are shown in this episode. Shredder is serious but in a lighthearted cartoon while seriously wants to kill Splinter at the same time. Bebop and Rocksteady are their typical goofy selves and begin about this time to be incompetent goofs used for the comedic relief. Its the first of two STRONG episodes to start this episode set.
Agreed. Not really sure what the post about "not much action" means, this episode had numerous fight scenes compared to other episodes that have very little or no fighting at all.

My only gripe is they used a B-animation team for this episode.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
This is the first episode that the Technodrome and Shredder/Krang are trapped under the Earth's crust, hence, "Beneath these Streets."

Well,if you want to be technical that was Turtle Tracks that it was underground and yeah I have always known it was the first at the Earth's Crust...I guess I just overlooked the obivious!

Agreed. Not really sure what the post about "not much action" means, this episode had numerous fight scenes compared to other episodes that have very little or no fighting at all.

My only gripe is they used a B-animation team for this episode.
Well,I chalk it down to two things. 1.Animation was choppy back then and 2. this season more than any other was rushed with 47 episdoes ordered to reach 65 for a syndication package. Rushing episodes caused for voice subs to the point of making us cringe. That bothers me more than the wrong tutle voice coming from the wrong turtle or incorrect mask coloring.Though atleast there were not two Donatellos or two turtle vans.

I don't know what it is,but of all the villian hideouts and weapons over the decades nothing is cooler than the Technodrome and having it at the Earth's Crust? Epic! It just fits nicely! Better than Dimension X,the Ocean,or Artic! Only place better would have been stuck on a crater on the Moon.Maybe its the MMPR and JLA influence but its the only place cooler to locate the Technodrome(pun unintended).
Old 11-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

There are animation or bandana/voice errors in every season though, even the ones with only 13 or so episodes.

Season 2 had a lot of voice/error mistakes, when you see Raph talking but its Leonardo's voice, etc. That just happened throughout the entire show.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I thought that it was a good ep because they really acted like kids/teens being defiant of their parent. How many of us can relate to that.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
pannoni1
Foot Elite

For the first time in the series, for a good portion of the episode, the Turtles show what its like without Shredder being a threat, since before it was usually either Splinter would "sense something going on" that would lead to trouble. This time Splinter said that he simply had no proof rather than sensing trouble, so he told the Turtles to not let their guard down. It also presence the dangers of guilt since the Turtles express guilt for pizza over checking on Splinter. Of course the guilt is nothing compared to "Splinter No More" and the episode doesn't show the individual pursuits of "Splinter Vanishes", but in this episode, it seems to just be a more tame way of expressing such guilt, plus there is the sewer battle that ends in a Shredder retreat, thought it was one of the better ones of the season.

Also, it would have been funny if the entire REX movie theater was operated by REX-1 and his robots or was playing Robocop.

Overall, an slightly above average episode, but not as good as the premieres "Return of the Shredder", "Rock Around the Block", "My Brother the Bad Guy", and "Get Shredder".

TMNT FAN CLUB LINK: http://sot.ag/gCjK/

30 years of Turtle Power!
pannoni1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
episode discussion, fred wolf series