The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 05-27-2015, 09:06 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Was Tatsu just a male version of Karai?

The first TMNT movie came out in 1990, and Karai wasn't created until 1992 in the comics. Since Karai didn't exist at the time the first movie came out, they obviously came up with the character of Tatsu to be Shredder's "second in command."

Looking back now, had Karai existed in the Mirage comics earlier, do you think she would have been in the first movie instead of Tatsu?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:08 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The first TMNT movie came out in 1990, and Karai wasn't created until 1992 in the comics. Since Karai didn't exist at the time the first movie came out, they obviously came up with the character of Tatsu to be Shredder's "second in command."

Looking back now, had Karai existed in the Mirage comics earlier, do you think she would have been in the first movie instead of Tatsu?
Given the first movie's... respect, at least, of the comic books, I'd be very surprised if they'd used Tatsu instead of Karai had she been created prior to it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:09 PM   #3
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I don't think there was much chance of Karai ever being in the old movies as a 2nd in command figure, even if she had been around. Mirage Karai was never Shredder's assistant or lackey, so E&L probably wouldn't had permitted her to be used as such in those early days.

Also, Tatsu was always good for getting violently manhandled by the heroes at the end of the film, and it just wouldn't have gone over quite the same way if Casey Jones was slamming a golf club into a woman's head...

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:12 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Also, Tatsu was always good for getting violently manhandled by the heroes at the end of the film, and it just wouldn't have gone over quite the same way if Casey Jones was slamming a golf club into a woman's head...
Imagine Casey swinging the golf club into Karai's stomach, then yelling "Fore!" when he knocks her across the room like he did to Tatsu.

Just imagine the outrage from feminists and soccer Moms back in 1990 if they showed a woman beaten up with a golf club like that.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:17 PM   #5
Leo656
The Franchise

Depends. Lots of characters in movies get away with roughhousing with chicks simply because the chicks in the scene are "Bad Guys".

By being the "hero" in a movie, you can get away with a ton of stuff that people would hate you for in real life. The audience will even applaud. It's madness.

A golf club may be a little excessive, but still.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:19 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I don't think there was much chance of Karai ever being in the old movies as a 2nd in command figure, even if she had been around. Mirage Karai was never Shredder's assistant or lackey, so E&L probably wouldn't had permitted her to be used as such in those early days.
That's a good point. I retract my earlier post. If anything, though, she might have been a "shadowy presence from Japan" kind of boss character, sweating Saki to hurry up and deal with those pesky Turtles and if he can't, she would need to come there to handle it herself (further motivating him to get that done).
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:24 PM   #7
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
The would have just had April do is instead, as was the style at the time. Not that this is a good example of the following practice, but I've noticed that there were a lot of henchwomen written into 90s movies, solely to give the female lead someone to beat up in the third act.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:30 AM   #8
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Yes, a bit of tight suit, cleavage breast plate and a feminine hair-do, Tatsu can be like Karai.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:40 AM   #9
THGhost
Puppet Master

When I hear Tatsu, all I can think of is Tatsu Yamashiro, AKA Katana.

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:20 PM   #10
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
The would have just had April do is instead, as was the style at the time. Not that this is a good example of the following practice, but I've noticed that there were a lot of henchwomen written into 90s movies, solely to give the female lead someone to beat up in the third act.
That would almost certainly have been the case. So typical of films of that era!
I wonder if that plot cliche has its own TV trope designator?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:54 AM   #11
Coola Yagami
Overlord

No. Karai was never shredders second of command. She led the Japanese foot and was practically his superior.

Shredder never had a right hand man. Tatsu was his first. I guess the movie ppl felt he just needed someone to talk to.

If anything the modern day versions of Karai are the female versions of Tatsu/Hun.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:29 AM   #12
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
No. Karai was never shredders second of command. She led the Japanese foot and was practically his superior.

Shredder never had a right hand man. Tatsu was his first. I guess the movie ppl felt he just needed someone to talk to.

If anything the modern day versions of Karai are the female versions of Tatsu/Hun.
And now Kitsune is closer to the original Karai... in that she at least does not SERVE Oroku Saki.

Can we get an IDW Pimiko who takes the place of the Mirage Karai? Badass Japanese Foot ninja leader sick of the NYC branch's mutant feud?
Old 05-29-2015, 09:40 AM   #13
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

It's funny people keep saying over and over that the creators of TMNT never would have turned Karai into shredder's lackey, yet Peter Laird is the person who did just that in the 4kids series, and Eastman has, more then once, called her 'Shredder's Daughter.

That being said, after her 2k3 version, Karai came to fill the 'second in command' role in many turtle's series that Tatsu filled in the first film. I could see them adapting her into shredder's second in command, had she existed at the time.

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:27 AM   #14
CyberCubed
Overlord

The woman who played Princess Mitsu in Movie III could have made a good Karai I say.