The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 01-05-2017, 07:06 PM   #1
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

Moving collectables?

Moving for the first time in ages and needless to say my TMNT collection is vastly larger than when i moved here. Tons of MOC, loose, chase variant vinyls ect. How do you generally store your stuff moving your collection if you've had to?
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:14 PM   #2
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I've moved a few times in the last ten years, and I've put the majority of the figures into Ziploc bags and carefully layered them in archive boxes. I try to trap a little air inside the bags, and put bubble wrap between each layer if I think I need to. This seems to prevent paint rub and friction related breakage, but don't leave the figures in the bags for months on end or they could get sticky plastic syndrome.

The bigger stuff like play-sets, I put into boxes if they'll fit, and stuffed them with clothing or towels. I'll dissemble them if possible; careful not to break any plastic tabs and such. I only have a handful of big ticket items like a Sideshow Shredder statue, a couple of Hot-toys and some Masterpiece Transformers, which I put back into their original retail boxes. If I didn't still have the boxes, I'd probably wrap them in bubble wrap and carefully put them in archive boxes. I'd keep track of which ones too, so as not to put them in danger.

Framed pictures with glass are fairly straight forward - wrap them in paper, or towels, and keep track of where you put them. Comics and books are no problem at all really - just put them in boxes with other books and comics.

Honestly I was more worried about breaking toys than I probably should have been, especially Turtles stuff which is pretty durable for the most part. Having said that, I'd be especially careful of any NECA stuff. McFarlane and NECA use really hard plastic to get max detail out of the casts, but it can be very brittle. (I'm reattaching a McFarlane Predator's foot right now).

Lastly I'd say, don't stress about your toys to the point that you forget your furniture. I transported my collection a few times with minimal damage, but I've messed up a piece of furniture almost every time.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:25 PM   #3
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

great stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
I've moved a few times in the last ten years, and I've put the majority of the figures into Ziploc bags and carefully layered them in archive boxes. I try to trap a little air inside the bags, and put bubble wrap between each layer if I think I need to. This seems to prevent paint rub and friction related breakage, but don't leave the figures in the bags for months on end or they could get sticky plastic syndrome.

The bigger stuff like play-sets, I put into boxes if they'll fit, and stuffed them with clothing or towels. I'll dissemble them if possible; careful not to break any plastic tabs and such. I only have a handful of big ticket items like a Sideshow Shredder statue, a couple of Hot-toys and some Masterpiece Transformers, which I put back into their original retail boxes. If I didn't still have the boxes, I'd probably wrap them in bubble wrap and carefully put them in archive boxes. I'd keep track of which ones too, so as not to put them in danger.

Framed pictures with glass are fairly straight forward - wrap them in paper, or towels, and keep track of where you put them. Comics and books are no problem at all really - just put them in boxes with other books and comics.

Honestly I was more worried about breaking toys than I probably should have been, especially Turtles stuff which is pretty durable for the most part. Having said that, I'd be especially careful of any NECA stuff. McFarlane and NECA use really hard plastic to get max detail out of the casts, but it can be very brittle. (I'm reattaching a McFarlane Predator's foot right now).

Lastly I'd say, don't stress about your toys to the point that you forget your furniture. I transported my collection a few times with minimal damage, but I've messed up a piece of furniture almost every time.
Thanks a lot. really helps!
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote