![]() |
|
|
|
|
#1 |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 11,019
|
Generational gaps
So when the subject of the new movie came up in a conversation with my sister, she was not only surprised to find out that there was a TMNT cartoon before the 2003 one but also that there was a new one out. She did already know about the comics before this conversation though, but only because I had showed them to her.
Have you ever had a similar experience? |
|
|
|
|
|
#2 |
|
Team Blue Boy
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,290
|
Not really, being older most of the people I know grew up with the original series like I did. I find it a little strange though that some younger ones now seem to be entirely unaware of the older series, esp considering that it's logo and character design on merchandise, esp clothing, has pretty much always been around. Have they never wondered where that particular 'vintage' version came from?
Likewise I imagine many youngsters might be surprised to hear the Turtles are, despite their depictions, 30 years old. Maybe we need weekend TMNT 101 classes for all ages. Both fun and educational! Sorta. It's similar I suppose with other old franchises as well; like speaking to the young son of a then-employer back after he and his mother had come back from seeing the first Transformers movie. It was fun being able to chat with this kid about it since my age group grew up with it. He was surprised and seem to think it was pretty cool that they existed when I was his age and that somewhere around still had a couple old ones. Almost feel bad having to break it to these kids that, no, a bunch of this cool stuff did not originate with their generations... lol Can't say I've had any such conversations with any kids about TMNT yet, don't really know any of that age group right now. Tell you what though, for those of us that were kids in the 80s, we sure as heck like to keep these things around that we grew up with. |
|
|
|
|
|
#3 |
|
Thug
![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 51
|
Yeah, I mean there are definitely gaps. My little nephew would be really confused if I showed him the Mirage comics. He would ask why there are 4 raphaels lol.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#4 |
|
The Agenda of Existing
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
|
I don't strike conversations with random kids on the street about Ninja Turtles, but. With my kid brothers, I introduced them to the 203 show as it came at a perfect time with them being very young, tried with the 2002 He-man as well, but the toys vanished too quickly.
also taught them about the FW show, the various Mirage and Archie comics, anime etc and etc. |
|
|
|
|
|
#5 |
|
Thug
![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Gorilla City
Posts: 65
|
TMNT doesn't come up in conversation all that much but a few months back I did meet a 23-24 year old that had almost no exposure to any iteration of TMNT. Never saw the OT, never saw the movies, and only knew a little about the 4Kids show since they had seen it on while flipping channels and stuff but never took the time to watch it.
I felt very old.
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#6 |
|
Spooky ghost
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 2,266
|
A lot of people I know are/were unaware that the Next Mutation, 2k3 series, or Nick series exist. Try explaining Utrom Shredder to these people and watch their eyes glaze over.
My friends know that the Turtles pre-date the OT, but they don't know anything about the comics, so they get shirty when newer adaptations don't include Bebop & Rocksteady, and all that stuff.
__________________
ProactiveMan!
|
|
|
|
|
|
#7 | |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 11,019
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#8 |
|
tactical blackquill
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
|
Only slightly offtopic, but I distinctly remember being the only kid in my class that watched the Next Mutation when it was airing.
Generally most of the people I talk to knew about 2k3 [since it aired alongside Sonic X, which just about ALL of my friends watched when it came out] and most of them know about the 87 show. But not much else.
__________________
![]() |
|
|
|
|
|
#9 |
|
Spooky ghost
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 2,266
|
They don't read comics I guess.
__________________
ProactiveMan!
|
|
|
|
|
|
#10 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
|
One thing that was really cool was, I didn't see my niece much for a few years, and then when she was about 10 I found out she had gotten into TMNT all by herself during the last couple seasons of the 2K3 show. Like she had gotten really into it with no prodding from me or her mom (my sister kinda liked TMNT when she was younger but not a ton). She even took the initiative and had gotten familiar with the OT on youtube, although she preferred the 2K3 show. She hadn't seen the movies, so we had a great time watching those together for the first time. She hates to read so comics were never gonna be a thing for her, but I was impressed she had gotten so deeply into the shows and video games all on her own.
Then she turned 13, remembered she was a girl, and stopped liking everything cool. |
|
|
|
![]() |
| Tags |
| comics, movie |
|
|