The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2006, 01:03 PM   #1
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter
 
Raph's Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Jakku
Posts: 10,831
Tales of the TMNT 19

The preview for the Archie-ish drawn Tales of the TMNT 19 is up!

In this issue Splinter and the turtles go to Japan and his old home he shared with Master Yoshi. Only to encounter a vengeful ghost and 2 young girls (one of which looks like Rogue from the X-Men! )

http://www.ninjaturtles.com/comics/m...vol2/19/19.htm
__________________
Raph's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:29 AM   #2
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
wow I hate to say this but his art leaves allot to be desired in black and white...and those kids...wow they look bad...
-Putrescent
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:39 AM   #3
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter
 
Raph's Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Jakku
Posts: 10,831
I just thought of something.

According to the plot the ghost is supposed to be familiar to Splinter. What if the vengeful spirit is Oroku Nagi?

It would make sense! Oroku Nagi WAS killed by Master Yoshi in his house.
__________________
Raph's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:39 PM   #4
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,676
Hey, the art looks very similar to some of the later issues of the Archie TMNT series. Looks cool, except for those kids, their heads are too big.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 05:02 PM   #5
Aztec General
Mad Scientist
 
Aztec General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raph's Girl
I just thought of something.

According to the plot the ghost is supposed to be familiar to Splinter. What if the vengeful spirit is Oroku Nagi?

It would make sense! Oroku Nagi WAS killed by Master Yoshi in his house.
That would be AWESOME! Here's to hoping.

It comes out this Wednesday (25th), FYI.
__________________
Aztec General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:00 PM   #6
darthsmozers
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,277
YEEEAAAHHHH for Chris Allan TMNT!!!!

And look! in that first page, one of the turtles has pupils Just like in the Archie series haha.
darthsmozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 02:46 PM   #7
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
Alright, the issue came out today.

And, no surprise, it was the BEST issue of Tales in a very very long time.


SPOILERS!!!



Alright, so I've never even heard of Chirs Alan or even read a single issue of the Archie comic, but DAMN is this art goody. I hope to see more of it (any break from Lawson is a good thing).

The story was also very good. It ties right into Splinter's origin and gives us some closure on Oroku Nagi's end. That was a big surprise, I have to say. But I really love these Tales issues that actually tie into other issues of the older comics. This is probably my favorite issue right after the Worms of Madness arc.

So we got great art and an actual story that means something to continuity (much better than fighting giant spiders for no good reason). I am pleased.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:36 AM   #8
TheShowstoppa
Stone Warrior
 
TheShowstoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 629
Damn... something is compelling me to stay awake and travel to Kokomo to pick up my comic now...

Nah. I can wait until Monday. But the front looks very good, and the art on the inside from the preview on the site looks great too.
__________________

Courtesy of LUCKFF
"I don't know what bothers me more; That this actually worked, or that Don carries around a pigeon puppet." - Mikey: Search for Splinter Pt. 1
TheShowstoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:58 AM   #9
R-iZZy
The Long Con
 
R-iZZy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: G'ville, FL (Gator Country), USA
Posts: 3,007
Well, Chris Allan is really showing us why we loved the Archie Adventures series so much, his art was splendid. Wow, does Lawson have so much catching up to do with his art, when you look at Allan's. I loved looking at his designs again. The only gripe I had was the Turtles without their pupils. But not too many panels had that problem, at least.

The story was great! I love how Ross tied the very first issue of TMNT into this issue. Who would've thought that Nagi would return, considering Laird nor Eastman really ever put focus on him? And I laughed at Leo's comment: "What's with this family and sharp objects?" Hilarious!

I actually would've liked to see a more extensive fight with the Turtles and Nagi's ghost. It would've made Nagi seem even more of a challenge. But still a good fight scene, nonetheless. And is it me or does Naoko look like the one girl on the Cartoon Network show with the talking pug with a Scottish accent (don't watch the show, so forgive me for not knowing the name).

Great issue! They need more issues that tie-in with the first volume of TMNT or first volume of Tales.
__________________


R-iZZy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:33 PM   #10
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Turtle Nincompoop
And is it me or does Naoko look like the one girl on the Cartoon Network show with the talking pug with a Scottish accent (don't watch the show, so forgive me for not knowing the name).
Heh. That would be Juniper Lee.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who made that connection.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:56 PM   #11
BartAllen
Banned
 
BartAllen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 922
Yeah, i got my comics late today. and that one little japanese girl totally looked like juniper.
BartAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:45 PM   #12
cowabunga14
Lover of Weird Things
 
cowabunga14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: CA
Posts: 4,014
I sorta wanna wait to get this one mainly cuz I went to the comics shop last Friday and I really don't wanna go again this week. I know they hold my comics for me and I figure the new Army of Darkness will be out when I go the shop a week from Saturday. That way I'll get two comics instead of goin' two weeks in a row. I pick up my comics from Space Cats twice a month anyways.
__________________


How can something so beautiful shine on something so dreadful?
cowabunga14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:46 PM   #13
Aztec General
Mad Scientist
 
Aztec General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,437
Spoilers: No Whining!

I really liked this issue. It's nice to see someone address the character of Oroku Nagi a little more. There were several great throwbacks to issue #1. This is easily the best Tales issue released in quite some time. Although I will say that the two Japanese girls were almost completely unncessary.

Issue 20 looks pretty cool too. We get more "fish people" action!
__________________
Aztec General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 01:24 PM   #14
TheShowstoppa
Stone Warrior
 
TheShowstoppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 629
I just picked up my issue today and immediately started reading. I would also like to ask if anyone has found out the clue to the titles on the back? I already sent in my e-mail saying what the answer is. Took me all of like 5 minutes to figure it out.
__________________

Courtesy of LUCKFF
"I don't know what bothers me more; That this actually worked, or that Don carries around a pigeon puppet." - Mikey: Search for Splinter Pt. 1
TheShowstoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:41 PM   #15
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter
 
Raph's Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Jakku
Posts: 10,831
Just got this issue.

I was right about the ghost being Oroku Nagi!

Now those girls...Im wonder if they could be of the Hamato clan? Splinter said that when Hamato Yoshi killed Nagi they might have killed the rest of the Hamato clan. That seems harsh. I hope more of the clan survived and Im thinking the reason they showed the girls was several things:

1: They needed an excuse to find Tang Shen's house

2: They could easily have been members of the clan Hamato but this unfortunaly wasn't dealt with.

This was a good issue all the same.
__________________
Raph's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:43 PM   #16
raphaelprime
Hench Mutant
 
raphaelprime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Caniac Nation, NC
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShowstoppa
I just picked up my issue today and immediately started reading. I would also like to ask if anyone has found out the clue to the titles on the back? I already sent in my e-mail saying what the answer is. Took me all of like 5 minutes to figure it out.

just got mine yesterday, first time i've been able to grab my Tales issue within 2 weeks of it comming out since issue 4 lol. I too figured out n sent in already.

I thought Chris Allen did a nice job on this issue, the artwork was great, brought back a few memories of the old archie series for me thats for sure.
__________________
"Welcome to the south, plan to lose in our house, GoCanes, Carolina is back, and we're all Caniacs, GoCanes, We want more, shutout score, let's go Ward, GoCanes"....the new and improved version of Clapton's classic Cocaine


Courtesy of Sliced...Thanks Sliced.
raphaelprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:05 PM   #17
cowabunga14
Lover of Weird Things
 
cowabunga14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: CA
Posts: 4,014
I picked up this issue on Saturday and I enjoyed it very much. I liked the artwork and how Oroku Nagi's mishap was explained on how he became a ghost. I'm glad Chris Allan worked on this issue cuz we don't see too much if his stuff any more which kinda sucks. I also like how this issue was wrote and I thought the frontispiece looked great. I've only read two of the Archie comics mainly cuz I didn't know about the comics when I first got into Turtles. I felt that Allan's artwork was reminiscent of his Archie days.
__________________


How can something so beautiful shine on something so dreadful?
cowabunga14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:23 AM   #18
Cascadia
Oregonian in heart & soul
 
Cascadia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,731
I just picked up an issue Friday...it takes this town a long time to get what I want.
__________________

Formally known as Scientific freak
Cascadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 03:12 AM   #19
Sewer Bull
Devil's Advocate
 
Sewer Bull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,768
Am I the only one who thinks this story is rather Usagi Yojimbo-ish?

But yeah, it's always nice to see Chris Allan's work again.
__________________

Soooo... THIS is how you spend your free time now?!
Sewer Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.