![]() |
|
|
#1 |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 11,041
|
On the subject on "Nostalgia pandering".
I noticed it got some discussion in another thread, so it might as well have it's own thread, The "pandering".
Personally I don't think it should be a problem in theory, the show is still based on characters and stories that have benn produced during a period of thirty years, no matter how much you try and make the show "for a new generation" it will still have to use some old concepts. And old concepts can always be presesnted in an elegant way for a new generation, the 4Kids managed to take the old comics that were pretty enjoyable but kind of amateurish and created a comprehensive well structured storyline with some new twists and turns to make it feel fresh, arguably one of the best animated shows of the 2000's (it still has some fundamental flaws that I admit exist). The problem is when it does not really fit with the new vision, when it's just shoehorned in without any regard of how it looks in relation to the story or what just plain works. I have been on some sites that accuse me hating the "pandering" because it does not appeal to me in particular as a fan of the 4Kids series, even though I got a little giggly when they announced Hun that's not really the case at all, I just don't think anything should shoved into the show just because some adults have fond memories of it including myself. Some examples here. Should a new character like Dogpound be turned into an old character like Rahzar when it changes nothing important about the character? Should Baxter Stockman really turn into a fly when it doesn't change his role? Should Bebop and Rocksteady really show up when Shredder already has four mutant henchmen? And then there's the controversial Fred Wolf scene, after already giving the Fred Wolf versions of the Turtles, April and Casey a gag cameo, the same two-parter ended with a scene of them that served no purpose other than to give a few lines to a bunch of old voice actors. |
|
|
|
|
|