![]() |
|
|
#1 |
|
Disgusting
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outer Heaven
Posts: 12,231
|
Does anyone else feel disillusioned with their fandom?
So, I don't make a lot of posts here anymore. I still browse, but I don't engage as much as I used to, or like to. I'm not sure what it is, but I've been disinterested and disappointed with the recent handling of the TMNT, and I think its effected my interest.
I've been a lifelong fan. The 2k12 era was a shining beacon of hope for a lot of us here, myself included. The new show was passable, the IDW comic (at the time) was excellent, and there seemed to be actual interest in the property again. Now, the Platinum Dunes movie absolutely killed all chances of a full blown TMNT renaissance, but we were pretty damn close. Still, it's all over now. The public has- for the most part- moved on. I should say that I love what I've seen from Rise. It's new, different, and beautifully animated. Rise is what I've been asking for out of new incarnations for years- something different. Unfortunately, most of the fandom has rejected Rise (probably because they're missing the point of that show entirely), and Nick doesn't seem to care too much about it either. It's disheartening to see this happen to a show that has so much heart put into it. IDW, I've personally felt was in decline following #50. The bloated cast, lack of outlets to tell stories, and overall "eh"ness of the recent arcs have basically reduced by interest in the book. I haven't even read 90-100 yet. It's a shame, because I really enjoyed everything up to #50, and can reread that any day. They've already cemented themselves in my head as classic comics. Jennika is cool, and makes me want to pick up the book again, but I'm afraid she'll just get lost in the character shuffle, like the Turtles themselves have been. The chances of a new film are in the realm of "not happening", new video games is a joke, and I doubt Nick is going to make another show anytime soon after Rise bombed. It seems that the only area of the fandom that is getting anything are the array of cool toys coming out from Super7 and NECA, among others. Thank god Playmates opened up the license. Unfortunately, I don't have the space or cash to collect these, but I'm happy they're being made. Though, this all leads to one startling conclusion. The future of the TMNT will forever be the past. Tied to that godforsaken sh*tty cartoon from the 80s, we will never get something innovative and new again. They tried, and Rise failed. Expect whatever the next incarnation is to be a full on remake of the "retro" TMNT, because that's what sells, and that's what the public knows and likes. Such is the sad state of TMNT from it's inception- so much potential, but hindered because no one outside this forum even cares enough to do anything about it. The people who care about this franchise outside of being a Hot Topic T-Shirt or a wacky fixture of the 80s and 90s are a minority. In fact, they're all probably here, and that's how it's going to be in the future as well. I give IDW a quiet death at 150, and then it's nothing but OT shilling until it doesn't sell anymore. I'm not sure how it got to this point, but I just don't care anymore. I realized this entire franchise is now a corporate vehicle for recreating the toy sales in the 80s and 90s, and that's all it will ever be. Does anyone else find their interest dwindling? Would any of you actually care about the TMNT if not for this forum? |
|
|
|
|
|