![]() |
|
|
#1 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Seventh Layer of Hell
Posts: 1,929
|
What is it about the TMNT that makes them so unappealing?
For too long now this question has been floating around my mind, and I really need to know. Why is it that when it comes to characters like Spider-Man and Transformers, people can say things like "Oh these guys are so cool" or "I can relate to them so much". But when it comes to the turtles, the best people can say is, "I remember them from that 80's cartoon".
The Turtles are treated as nothing but kid stuff, mainly because of the concept. But I never understood that, the concept is no goofier than Spidey's or Hulk's. The point is to look past the silly orgin, and enjoy the stories. Another thing I've found is, people say they would like to see a more grown up TMNT, but when the TMNT try to deliver on that, all of a sudden, all of a sudden you got a bunch of people saying it's raping they're childhood. Alot of times, people don't really know what they want with TMNT. Some want it all goofy, some want it completley hardcore, and anything less is unacceptable. I thought it could be that maybe the general public don't think the characters are relatable. That they're not socially relevant. But even that doesn't make sense. If people would just let down they're gaurds they would see that they can relate to at least one of the Turtles. If you're somewhat of an older brother figure, someone that has to be resposnsible for others. Or just someone that strives hard for perfection, you can relate to Leonardo. If you're generally easy going, you like to have fun, you avoid conflict, rarely get angry, and you have a strong creative side, you can relate to Michelangelo. If you have a curios mind, or if someone who tends to get really wrapped up in your work, so much so that you sometimes inadvertantly alienate people close to you, you can relate to Donatello. If you're the kind of peorson that tends to take other people's problems on your shoulder, and alot of times get frustrated that you can't do much to help. Or if you're a loner, who solves they're own problems alone and doesn't like asking for help, you can relate to Raphael. But still, there's no law that states you have to relate to a character to like them. How many of us can honestly say we can relate to Batman, yet we still like the character. People will say they have such fond memories of the Turtles, but when it came to TMNT, no one would even go see it They say that this movie is tainting they're childhoods, but how exactly? This movie had nothing to do the orginal cartoon. The people who loved the 60's Batman series didn't complain when Tim Burton made Batman back in 1990. Or maybe they did, I don't know. Point is, people looked past the differences and accepted the movie for what it was. Why couldn't people do the same with TMNT? All the idiots that said it wasn't goofy enough, are being totaly unfair. Why didn't anyone say the same about Superman, or Hellboy, or the Transformers. If TMNT had gotten a PG-13 ratting, would that have changed people's tunes. I think it would, seeing as how the PG ratting Warner Bros forced upon the movie didn't help it one bit. I'm posing this question to TMNT fans and non TMNT fans alike. I need to know, what is it that makes the TMNT so different that it can't be accepted like Spider-Man and Batman? |
|
|
|
|
|