The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Should the new movie be rated PG-13 or PG?
PG-13 49 96.08%
PG 2 3.92%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #21
LH
Leatherhead
 
LH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Munroe even indicated directly that their deal with Playmates was such that it was contractually obligated to be PG...
Really? That's interesting...
LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #22
snake
Disgusting
 
snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outer Heaven
Posts: 12,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
The Bay production's history toward a PG-13 rating gives one hope... however that all 4 previous TMNT movies have been PG and Munroe even indicated directly that their deal with Playmates was such that it was contractually obligated to be PG... doesn't instill me with a great deal of confidence. But as I've said before, I would be willing to forgive a lot of crap in the movie if it somehow manages to deliver truly memorable "ninja action" as we have never been allowed to see in a Turtle movie before. That said, the apparent complete lack of any kind of martial arts weapons of the Foot Soldiers still makes me scratch my head in terms of what sort of fighting we're actually going to even be able to see... just a series of grappling moves, blocks, weapon removals and "quick takedowns"? Boring.
Interesting...I never knew playmates had to have the movie pg.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #23
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeweed101 View Post
Interesting...I never knew playmates had to have the movie pg.
As of the last movie they did. If Platinum Dunes/Paramount has somehow managed to either be "above the law" on that with Playmates on Turtles Part Five or just doesn't care and is soldiering on without a toy deal (unlikely, and pretty much impossible), that's unrevealed as of yet.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #24
snake
Disgusting
 
snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outer Heaven
Posts: 12,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
As of the last movie they did. If Platinum Dunes/Paramount has somehow managed to either be "above the law" on that with Playmates on Turtles Part Five or just doesn't care and is soldiering on without a toy deal (unlikely, and pretty much impossible), that's unrevealed as of yet.
Even if it is Pg-13, there's still going to be a toyline. Although Playmates might have to bend their contract a bit.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #25
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeweed101 View Post
Even if it is Pg-13, there's still going to be a toyline. Although Playmates might have to bend their contract a bit.
Possibly. But historically Playmates has held all of the cards over the studio/director/producer(s), not the other way around. And at least as far as the last movie goes, they were not willing to bend one millimeter.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #26
NYShell
Stone Warrior
 
NYShell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Long Island, NY - Dallas, TX
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeweed101 View Post
Even if it is Pg-13, there's still going to be a toyline. Although Playmates might have to bend their contract a bit.
Hopefully the turtles look realistic. And I mean really realistic. Like ILM or Weta CG. The 2007 movie art style was over-hyped. The turtles looked decent but still bad, and the human characters were just terrible. Really goofy looking. It was like watching the incredibles. I hope all these turtles look badass.
__________________
"All fathers care for their sons."


** LOOKING FOR 2016 SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES EXCLUSIVE TMNT STATUES (LEO, MIKE, RAPH) **
NYShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #27
snake
Disgusting
 
snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outer Heaven
Posts: 12,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyt2u View Post
Hopefully the turtles look realistic. And I mean really realistic. Like ILM or Weta CG. The 2007 movie art style was over-hyped. The turtles looked decent but still bad, and the human characters were just terrible. Really goofy looking. It was like watching the incredibles. I hope all these turtles look badass.
Trust me, playmates recent " Cheap" streak has been going on since 2006, expect 8 POA, figures with terrible paint jobs.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #28
chrisdude
Foot Elite
 
chrisdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,708
I wonder why. Why would they insist on PG after seeing all the toys Marvel and Transformers have sold. Perhaps they'll have a change of heart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherhead (2012) View Post
Does TRON: Legacy count?
Holy crap! I'm a huge TRON fan, so I was in, no matter what. I hadn't even considered that it was PG. Maybe that's part of why it underperformed...
__________________
PSN/Miiverse: MikeFarber
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #29
Shreddhead
Mad Scientist
 
Shreddhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdude View Post
I wonder why. Why would they insist on PG after seeing all the toys Marvel and Transformers have sold. Perhaps they'll have a change of heart...

Holy crap! I'm a huge TRON fan, so I was in, no matter what. I hadn't even considered that it was PG. Maybe that's part of why it underperformed...
Could they have made a pg13 tron film?
__________________

Shreddhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,426
I like the TRON duology but I don't think those are movies that would benefit from a higher-than-PG rating. Movies about teenagers (read: MAIN CHARACTERS THAT ARE 13+ YEARS OLD!!!) that are ninjas (assassins, basically) with cutting weapons and shuriken that regularly engage in combat other ninjas trying to kill them... yeah, those should probably be PG-13. Just going out on a limb there.

It's always been a little alarming to me that more people haven't been up in arms about that to that regard for, I don't know, the last four movies.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #31
LH
Leatherhead
 
LH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyt2u View Post
Hopefully the turtles look realistic. And I mean really realistic. Like ILM or Weta CG. The 2007 movie art style was over-hyped. The turtles looked decent but still bad, and the human characters were just terrible. Really goofy looking. It was like watching the incredibles. I hope all these turtles look badass.
I really hope Weta is behind the Turtles. They're a great company, and they're digital effects department is phenomenal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdude View Post
Holy crap! I'm a huge TRON fan, so I was in, no matter what. I hadn't even considered that it was PG. Maybe that's part of why it underperformed...
Me too! I have to wonder if Disney will step it up to PG-13 for the next film.
LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:08 PM   #32
chrisdude
Foot Elite
 
chrisdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,708
I don't think TRON: Legacy would have been better at PG-13. But maybe it would've sold more tickets.

But if we can't get a PG-13 TMNT, now, in the heyday of PG-13 superhero movies... The word is that the budget is $120. It's big enough for PG-13, I'd think. And why wouldn't a toy company see it's selling toys for everyone else? I'll just keep my fingers crossed, I guess.
__________________
PSN/Miiverse: MikeFarber
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:08 PM   #33
Shreddhead
Mad Scientist
 
Shreddhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherhead (2012) View Post
Me too! I have to wonder if Disney will step it up to PG-13 for the next film.
I kind of doubt Tron will get a third movie.
__________________

Shreddhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #34
chrisdude
Foot Elite
 
chrisdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddhead View Post
I kind of doubt Tron will get a third movie.
It's moving forward. They barely made the cut, I suppose.
__________________
PSN/Miiverse: MikeFarber
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #35
NYShell
Stone Warrior
 
NYShell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Long Island, NY - Dallas, TX
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeweed101 View Post
Trust me, playmates recent " Cheap" streak has been going on since 2006, expect 8 POA, figures with terrible paint jobs.
I'm not talking about the toys. I'm talking about the art style and CG in the actual movie
__________________
"All fathers care for their sons."


** LOOKING FOR 2016 SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES EXCLUSIVE TMNT STATUES (LEO, MIKE, RAPH) **
NYShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #36
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior
 
sgtfbomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Internet
Posts: 830
This movie will be PG-13, but for what it's worth, PG-13 is the new PG, which is now the new G.

Quote:
Could they have made a pg13 tron film?
I actually didn't realize Tron Legacy was PG. I think it got by because the violence of the film doesn't involve blood by pixels shattering to pieces and there isn't really any profanity. Death is death, but the MPAA isn't known for consistency. Films have been known to avoid higher ratings by simply changing the color of blood (the klingons in Star Trek VI), but back in the day, before PG-13, the PG rating wasn't so infantile and spineless, and actually got away with stuff you might not even see in a PG-13 today (like Quint squirting blood out of his mouth in Jaws, the melting heads of Raiders of the Lost Ark, and the face rip of Poltergeist; ironically, PG-13 was formed because of this kind of violence, which at the time wasn't gory enough for R but too heavy for PG)
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #37
Sanjuro
Stone Warrior
 
Sanjuro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 598
It should be rated G. No poop jokes.
Sanjuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #38
LH
Leatherhead
 
LH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdude View Post
It's moving forward. They barely made the cut, I suppose.
I'm pretty sure it's due to fan demand they're moving forward. It didn't do incredible, but it made back its budget and then some. I just hope they market the film and not treat it like they did TRON: Uprising.
LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #39
turtletoons81
Foot Soldier
 
turtletoons81's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: in the wonderful land of awesomeness
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherhead (2012) View Post
I'm pretty sure it's due to fan demand they're moving forward. It didn't do incredible, but it made back its budget and then some. I just hope they market the film and not treat it like they did TRON: Uprising.
*thinks about the tron rap that disney advertiesed* ugh.
__________________
COWABUNGA/BOOYAKASHA DUDES!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDCVP1Ls18A
this music is awesome by the man himself jake "virt" kaufman
turtletoons81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #40
chrisdude
Foot Elite
 
chrisdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherhead (2012) View Post
I'm pretty sure it's due to fan demand they're moving forward. It didn't do incredible, but it made back its budget and then some. I just hope they market the film and not treat it like they did TRON: Uprising.
I have a few friends who liked TRON: Legacy, but wouldn't check out Uprising, no matter how much I encouraged them to...
__________________
PSN/Miiverse: MikeFarber
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
live action films


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.