The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 03:31 AM   #61
NYShell
Stone Warrior
 
NYShell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Long Island, NY - Dallas, TX
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazi View Post
If they're really making this based on the Fred Wolf cartoon, it's kinda makes sense to turn the foot into an army, and Shredder into a colonel. But I don't think we need a "gritty reboot" of the Fred Wolf series at all, and I don't think they should change Shredder that much. Seriously, Ninjas was one of the coolest things about TMNT, who the hell thought it would be wise to erase it?
It seems similar to the Fred Wolf show but it's not about making a gritty reboot of the Fred Wolf version. It's about making a gritty movie like the first one and the comics. (or should be about)
I hate whitewashing. This movie is seeming to be dumbed down. Just attaching big name actors in random/wrong roles.
__________________
"All fathers care for their sons."


** LOOKING FOR 2016 SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES EXCLUSIVE TMNT STATUES (LEO, MIKE, RAPH) **
NYShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:45 AM   #62
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
I love all the "He never says Schrader in the interview, so he's totes The Shredder." reasoning.

In this film Schrader IS Shredder. Just because he's a radical reinterpretation of the character doesn't mean that in this universe that's not what we get as Shredder.

Can't say I'm happy with this, but than again, very little about this movie has me excited. Kinda glad I don't have the disposable income to see many (read: any) movies ATM.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:48 AM   #63
Tazi
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyt2u View Post
It seems similar to the Fred Wolf show but it's not about making a gritty reboot of the Fred Wolf version. It's about making a gritty movie like the first one and the comics. (or should be about)
Yeah it should be, and I'd love that, but to me it seems like they're going with a blockbusterized FW cartoon.
__________________
Tazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #64
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,798
The movie sounds nothing like a Fred Wolf story other than April being a reporter (which she was in Movie 1 and it hardly changed the Mirage tone), or Vernon.

Because we really had whitewashed Colonel Shredder in the original cartoon, right?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #65
Vi11AiN6
Foot Soldier
 
Vi11AiN6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
I'm not liking this simply because I don't like seeing black or asian characters from other source materials such as books or comics turned into white characters for the film versions. There's a long history of this and it's really not necessary with the wealth and breadth of talent that's out there.

It's not just his skincolor though, obviously Shredder's ethnicity and country of origin do tie into the plot in non-trivial ways. It's definitely a big departure. They'd better have a good reason for this. But judging by Platinum Dune's previous work I have very low expectations.

Maybe it's a Ducard/Ra's kind of thing? O.o

I agree 100% with you. There are enough actors out there to cast someone in a real of authentic ethnicity.

Funny thing is I always get mad when Hollywood cast some in the role of a redhead and the a non redhead gets the part and they die her hair
Ala Jean Grey in X-men, or April O'neil in the new movie.
Why not cast a real redhead like Alicia Whit or that redhead from Mad Men who is gorgious.

I know hair color is 't an ethnicity, but hollywood has some pretty crappy casting
Vi11AiN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #66
CinematicESP
Thug
 
CinematicESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 50
Ugh, how disappointing. I hope they're going a Darth Vader route and covering up his entire face.
CinematicESP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #67
Tazi
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The movie sounds nothing like a Fred Wolf story other than April being a reporter (which she was in Movie 1 and it hardly changed the Mirage tone), or Vernon.

Because we really had whitewashed Colonel Shredder in the original cartoon, right?
Yes, basically we had. He was more of a scientist (he built Krang's android body, Chromedome, etc.) and a military leader there, than a ninja. The foot was also an army of robotic soldiers with guns, instead of ninjas.
Plus as you mentoined, reporter April with the whole Channel 6 crew, which she at least don't have in Movie 1, and her boss from Movie 1 actually appears in Mirage Comics later on.

I don't know if Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady are still confirmed for this version of the script, but if yes, they are all FW characters.

So there's definitely a strong vibe of FW there, so as a strong vibe of blockbusterisation.
__________________
Tazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #68
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,798
Shredder was still Japanese and had the backstory with Splinter.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #69
zodiac brave
Stone Warrior
 
zodiac brave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: san antonio, tx
Posts: 822
ugh. dunno how to feel about this. i honestly wonder now if all the "reassurances" we've been getting about the turtles not being aliens is just a shield of semantics and they're still just going ahead with some form of the sh!tty leaked script.
__________________
what we were after, was lashings of ultra-violence.

zodiac brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #70
Galactus
Foot Elite
 
Galactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
As much as I don't want this to be what's happening, I'm actually not sure which is worse: yet another rehash of The Man Behind The Man trope or the whitewashing of TMNT's most iconic villain so yeah, either way it's a loss to me.
Odds are we're getting both. Remember Schrader was just a patsy for Krang I'd be suprised if that is not the case to some degree in the upcoming movie.

Quote:
I'm not liking this simply because I don't like seeing black or asian characters from other source materials such as books or comics turned into white characters for the film versions. There's a long history of this and it's really not necessary with the wealth and breadth of talent that's out there.

It's not just his skincolor though, obviously Shredder's ethnicity and country of origin do tie into the plot in non-trivial ways. It's definitely a big departure. They'd better have a good reason for this. But judging by Platinum Dune's previous work I have very low expectations.
This is it exactly. There are characters were it doesn't really matter if they change their ethnicity but for Shredder it's not only intrinsic to his whole character but to that of the titular characters. Not only is it why they are ninjas but in most cases why they are mutants too.

Every version has had the Yoshi vs Saki rivalry in some form. For all the flak the '87 series gets from fans of the original Mirage comic it did keep that aspect and even highlighted it by having Splinter actualy be Yoshi and wasn't it kinda cool when they did face off? Even the 2003 show which gave drasticaly different origin for Shredder still had Ch'rell masquerade and seemingly channel the actual Oroku Saki, a Japanese ninja. Right through to the current IDW comics and Nickleodeon series it's always been there.

Unless (as I theorised) he's supposed to be Japanese and steps are taken to obscure Fichter's features like say facial scars or he has a backstory of being an American (or alien...don't think we should be discounting that one just yet) but spent a long time in Japan training in ninjitsu while Yoshi was there then it's difficult to imagine a how they can do a TMNT vs Shredder story. Why would Col. Shredder want to fight the turtles or turtles fight him? I know they are probably crime fighters but the whole reason he's their primary villain is because it's personal for Splinter and the turtles.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #71
NYShell
Stone Warrior
 
NYShell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Long Island, NY - Dallas, TX
Posts: 581
The last thing we need to make this film more unbelievable is Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady. Let's work with the mess that we already have on our hands. Ugh.
__________________
"All fathers care for their sons."


** LOOKING FOR 2016 SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES EXCLUSIVE TMNT STATUES (LEO, MIKE, RAPH) **
NYShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #72
drewizzle88
Stone Warrior
 
drewizzle88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 573


If this picture is in fact of Shredder/Fichtner, and I believe that is him on the left, then I guess he will dress the same as his (foot) soldiers? This is all very odd.
__________________
drewizzle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #73
Tora
Hench Mutant
 
Tora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 254
Well he could just be the voice of the Shredder and someone else is behind the mask. Fichtner has a good voice to play a villain and with a lot of the 87' series nods showing up he might be hamming it up a bit like the 90s Shredder which could be fun!
Tora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #74
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tora View Post
Well he could just be the voice of the Shredder and someone else is behind the mask. Fichtner has a good voice to play a villain and with a lot of the 87' series nods showing up he might be hamming it up a bit like the 90s Shredder which could be fun!
An actor of his pedigree wasn't chosen just to be a voice actor. They chose him because of his face and acting skills.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #75
Welmanshire
Hench Mutant
 
Welmanshire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I love all the "He never says Schrader in the interview, so he's totes The Shredder." reasoning.

In this film Schrader IS Shredder. Just because he's a radical reinterpretation of the character doesn't mean that in this universe that's not what we get as Shredder.

Can't say I'm happy with this, but than again, very little about this movie has me excited. Kinda glad I don't have the disposable income to see many (read: any) movies ATM.
I would LOVE to know jow you KNOW that in this film Shradar IS Shredder. Really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewizzle88 View Post


If this picture is in fact of Shredder/Fichtner, and I believe that is him on the left, then I guess he will dress the same as his (foot) soldiers? This is all very odd.
That is Daniel Bernhardt on the left. He is cast in the film, he's a martial artist actor known for his role in the Mortal Kombat tv series. It's definitely not Fichtner.
Welmanshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #76
Galactus
Foot Elite
 
Galactus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welmanshire View Post
I would LOVE to know jow you KNOW that in this film Shradar IS Shredder. Really.
In the leaked script Col. Schrader was named 'Shredder' by the turtles.

A fair amount of that script is still clearly intact not least of which a very militaristic looking Foot and now an American actor claiming he's playing Shredder. It certainly leads to the conclusion we're getting Schrader. They may have changed his name and/or dropped the alien angle but without any evidence to the contrary I think it'll be fair to assume the version of Shredder we're getting will be very inspired by Schrader.

Certainly without any needlessly complex ways such as facial scars or adoption to justify how Fitcher could play a Japanese man I think it's also fair to assume he wont be Oroku Saki.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #77
Welmanshire
Hench Mutant
 
Welmanshire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
In the leaked script Col. Schrader was named 'Shredder' by the turtles.

A fair amount of that script is still clearly intact not least of which a very militaristic looking Foot and now an American actor claiming he's playing Shredder. It certainly leads to the conclusion we're getting Schrader. They may have changed his name and/or dropped the alien angle but without any evidence to the contrary I think it'll be fair to assume the version of Shredder we're getting will be very inspired by Schrader.

Certainly without any needlessly complex ways such as facial scars or adoption to justify how Fitcher could play a Japanese man I think it's also fair to assume he wont be Oroku Saki.
I find it hard to believe that with Nick producing, that they will let it get that far from the source material they are currently airing.
Welmanshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #78
Desslok
Hench Mutant
 
Desslok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 393
All of these developments are certainly odd... I'm not sure how I feel about it, I don't want to pass judgement when we still know so very little.

Eastman knows much more than we do and has continued to insist that it's going to be respectful of the source material. Just going to have to anxiously wait and see...
__________________

Watch Episodes | Latest Updates | More Fun
Desslok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #79
Welmanshire
Hench Mutant
 
Welmanshire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 415
The editor from Movie.com was on set and said this -

https://twitter.com/ErikDavis/status/347856180787421185

https://twitter.com/ErikDavis/status/347857199055376384

Hopefully it is as he says
Welmanshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #80
IMJ
Emperor
 
IMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Midwest, U.S.A.
Posts: 8,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So Shredder is white and not Japanese confirmed. I'm done with this movie.
Iron Man 3's Mandarin was a rich white guy thanks to Shane Black. You can't win with these guys.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
movie casting


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.