The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 08:03 AM   #1
fridaynightdestination
Banned
 
fridaynightdestination's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 553
I think we are all gonna like the movie because it is TMNT on the big screen

My other #1 fandom that I'm into besides TMNT is Godzilla, I'm a huge Godzilla fan as well. I think Godzilla (2014) is the best movie of the year so far, but I think the reason why I enjoyed it so much is because I wanted a new Godzilla movie for a long time. I followed the movie to the full extent up until it's release for two years, and to finally see it, to finally see the movie that I was just thinking about and wanting to see for two years, to finally see it, and to see Godzilla on the big screen for the first time, was EXTREMELY satisfying for me.

However, I think if a casual moviegoer that isn't passionate about Godzilla and just wants to see a movie and goes to see Godzilla and gives it a 7/10, I understand that. It was just so satisfying for me to see because I love Godzilla and I waited really long time. Also, my friend is the same way with Planet of the Apes. He is a HUGE Planet of the Apes fan (I still haven't seen the original and he practically hates me for it, lol) and he was AMPED for DOTPOTA and followed the movie throughout it's whole production, like me for Godzilla, I walked out of Apes, as a casual fan, thinking it was good, 8.0/10, he walked out giving DOTPOTA a 10/10 and calling it the best movie of the year. I get that, he's an Apes fan, he has his movie, I'm a Godzilla fan, and I have my movie.

I think that all of us are gonna like this movie, because this is our movie. It's a movie made for us, that we are gonna enjoy because we enjoy the Ninja Turtles more than anyone. And I don't think anyone can deny that seeing these four guys on the big screen again is gonna be satisfying. I think all the casual moviegoers will walk out of this movie giving it a score of 6 or 7 out of 10, and I think most hardcore TMNT fans like us will give it an 8 or 9 out of 10.
fridaynightdestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:15 AM   #2
Warboss74
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 230
I'm definitely going to disagree with this sentiment. I'd like to think I'm a hardcore TMNT fan, but this film looks like a train wreck of a TMNT film. Like I've stated before, I might have seen this film in theaters if it were say a Battletoads movie and might be entertained. As a TMNT film, I have no interest in financially supporting this film.
Warboss74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:04 AM   #3
Slade
god status
 
Slade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 3,291
Don't think everyone will like it just cus it's turtles. There's other parts of this franchise people don't like already.
__________________
Do not concern yourself with what I've already done: rather tremble at the thought of what I am about to do.
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=48140
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
Sanjuro
Stone Warrior
 
Sanjuro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warboss74 View Post
I'm definitely going to disagree with this sentiment. I'd like to think I'm a hardcore TMNT fan, but this film looks like a train wreck of a TMNT film. Like I've stated before, I might have seen this film in theaters if it were say a Battletoads movie and might be entertained. As a TMNT film, I have no interest in financially supporting this film.
Great copy and paste job!
Sanjuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:20 AM   #5
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime
 
Whatswiththeheadbands?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: The Shadow's Sanctum
Posts: 3,007
I wouldn't be sure. Just because it's TMNT, doesn't mean that we will alll go to see it, let alone like it. Personally, I'm going to see the movie because it looks good.
__________________
Who knows what Evil lurks in the hearts of Men?
The Shadow knows...
Whatswiththeheadbands? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
NinjaPug
Foot Elite
 
NinjaPug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,390
Don't agree with this line of thinking at all. Putting a property you like on the big screen doesn't automatically mean you're going to like it.

I've hated plenty of movies based on properties I like (Batman & Robin, TASM2, The Last Airbender, X3, etc).

Also don't agree with the sentiment that it was a "movie made for us"
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:25 AM   #7
Puddinpop
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 864
I think there are going to be a TON of people that will go in pessimistic and end up leaving very satisfied. But not everyone. You cant make everyone happy. But I think the overall consensus will be positive

Btw.. I can almost guarantee that we will see the " opinions " speech posted in this thread very shortly
Puddinpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #8
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
The Boston Ninja Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddinpop View Post
I think there are going to be a TON of people that will go in pessimistic and end up leaving very satisfied. But not everyone. You cant make everyone happy.
agreeing with this a little..every franchise has its parts some fans dont like...hell even turtles

bring up venus and see the division

if just liking something because it was turtles would work next mutation would constantly be praised
__________________
I didn't choose the ninja turtle life. The ninja turtle life chose me.


https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #9
sethmartin
Stone Warrior
 
sethmartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 706
So because I am a hardcore TMNT fan, I should love Turtles 3 too, right? Dont think so. I have been neutral on the film. I don't really care if they changed things as long as it's entertaining. Looks to me like it will be. I might like it a lot, but that's going to depend on whether or not I think it's a good movie. Not that I HAVE to like it because it's TMNT.
sethmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #10
Puddinpop
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boston Ninja Turtle View Post
agreeing with this a little..every franchise has its parts some fans dont like...hell even turtles

bring up venus and see the division

if just liking something because it was turtles would work next mutation would constantly be praised
I've tried and tried to make it threw an episode of TNM and I just cant do it lol.
There are just some things that people just wont like. And TMNT is no exception.
Even some of my favorite bands since I was a kid have come out with some really terrible stuff.. Luckily there are other things to enjoy with TMNT for the ones that don't like the film. That's one of the great things about this franchise, it has so many different flavors.
Puddinpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #11
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
OP, what are you, 7? Only explanation as to why you think people here haven't already SEEN a big-screen TMNT.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #12
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
Being an Avatar: The Last Airbender fan did not make me like "The Last Airbender."
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #13
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
The Boston Ninja Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Being an Avatar: The Last Airbender fan did not make me like "The Last Airbender."
same for me and DRAGONBALL EVOLUTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddinpop View Post
I've tried and tried to make it threw an episode of TNM and I just cant do it lol.
There are just some things that people just wont like. And TMNT is no exception.
Even some of my favorite bands since I was a kid have come out with some really terrible stuff.. Luckily there are other things to enjoy with TMNT for the ones that don't like the film. That's one of the great things about this franchise, it has so many different flavors.
exactly.

its funny you arnt the only one that ive heard that from..and i admit past the whole east meets west arch..the show gets really rough to watch..thats usually the only thing i suggest to people
__________________
I didn't choose the ninja turtle life. The ninja turtle life chose me.


https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #14
Xiewin
Stone Warrior
 
Xiewin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warboss74 View Post
I'm definitely going to disagree with this sentiment. I'd like to think I'm a hardcore TMNT fan, but this film looks like a train wreck of a TMNT film. Like I've stated before, I might have seen this film in theaters if it were say a Battletoads movie and might be entertained. As a TMNT film, I have no interest in financially supporting this film.
Wow people are being REALLY harsh on this film. Not saying you have to watch it, which you don't. But a train wreck of a movie?? :/
Xiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:21 AM   #15
Vicky82
Emperor
 
Vicky82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dunstable, UK
Posts: 5,804
I find it funny when i'm reading people's tweets on this movie, They say they don't like anything about this movie,The turtles designs, Megan Fox, Michael Bay ect but they say they still going to see it.
__________________
My heart!!!! One of my favourite moments.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:07 PM   #16
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
I find it funny when i'm reading people's tweets on this movie, They say they don't like anything about this movie,The turtles designs, Megan Fox, Michael Bay ect but they say they still going to see it.
It's called "giving it the benefit of the doubt!".
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:10 PM   #17
Warboss74
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiewin View Post
Wow people are being REALLY harsh on this film. Not saying you have to watch it, which you don't. But a train wreck of a movie?? :/
I said train wreck of a TMNT film. It could be an entertaining film, but bulletproof turtles with super strength fighting Mecha-Shredder isn't TMNT in my book just because they slap the TMNT name on it. If this is what we were getting for a Battletoads film, I might have checked it out.
Warboss74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #18
Cipher
Foot Elite
 
Cipher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,454
I'm a huge Godzilla fan and I thought the new movie was pretty mediocre; great cinematography, but a little disappointing. Major scripting problems.

It probably won't be my favorite movie of the year. Hey! I guess you can be more predisposed to like something than other people for including the elements that drew you into the property on some level, but still be critical of it and judge realistically as a stand-alone piece of art and maybe even not super-duper enjoy it on the whole.

It's crazy to think about, but it might just be true.

Quote:
I think all the casual moviegoers will walk out of this movie giving it a score of 6 or 7 out of 10, and I think most hardcore TMNT fans like us will give it an 8 or 9 out of 10.
I'd also like to point out that the "fan" angle can cut both ways depending on the person and why they like the property in the first place. Especially for most long-running franchises that have seen multiple tones and interpretations. I think generally tends to either inflate positive assessments because they're overlooking flaws or just enjoy it so much on principle, or heighten a negative assessment because they're hyper-critical of what it could have been in terms of expectations/the best of the property, rather than how it might be serviceable as a stand-alone piece.

In general I put a lot more stock into non-fan opinions. Most of the time. I find the only real danger you run into with those is walking in with a pre-determined sense of dismissal (this happens a lot with Western critics and giant monster movies, for example), but those are pretty easy to suss out and disregard.

Last edited by Cipher; 08-02-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:32 PM   #19
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy
 
TurtleTitan97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Speed Force
Posts: 7,043
Not gonna happen. Just because it's TMNT, doesn't mean I'm gonna automatically support it. If it looks like trash to me, then I won't support it. Simple as that.

I'll just stick with the Nick cartoon, and all the good previous versions before it. I'm pretty much done with getting worked up over this film.
__________________



TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:44 PM   #20
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Quote:
I think we are all gonna like the movie because it is TMNT on the big screen
Well, I mean nothing against anyone's perspective who is that all accepting, though personally it's just in my nature to look at it with more scrutiny. Just because it's TMNT isn't gonna do it for me. Maybe back with the first movie when I was 11, but now... Think I'd need to borrow a mind switching device from whatever random episodes might have had them and borrow some kid's mentality. Damn that adult thinking I acquired 20ish years ago.

At this point, with the amount of footage we've seen, I do think I will probably like it well enough and hopefully there appears to be plenty of good stuff to make up for what I'm iffy on.

All I really want is for them to have done the Turtles justice enough and not to have been used as an easy summer cash cow for the makers.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.