![]() |
|
|||||||
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Display Modes |
|
|
#21 | |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#22 | |
|
Hench Mutant
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 444
|
Quote:
(.....psst.. as long as we don't say anything negative about the first cartoon series, the kids let us play here. Nostalgia is Nostalgia regarless of age. Music, movies, tv shows, comics, roleplaying games, video games, sci-fi. Whatever we loved in our mid to late teens is going to be the most special and well regarded, whether that happens to be the mid 80s, 90's or 2000s. My mirage comics are the next guy's 4kids cartoon. It's all relative. If you haven't already, which I'm sure you probably have, grab the 1st volume of the Ultimate Collector's edition and try and read it as if you have never experienced TMNT before ; like you've never read any of the future comics and have never watched a single cartoon or movie. Every incarnation and every medium has it's own feel and everyone has their favorite. This just happens to be my mine. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#23 | |
|
Stone Warrior
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 715
|
Talk about a worthwhile thread. I went from bored to heartfelt after reading these posts.
The first time I gave my full attention to the Turtles was with the 2007 film. I was flipping through the channels one day (I was 14 at the time) and I stumbled across a close-up of a tense turtle with a blue bandana over his eyes, saying, "Don't do this, Raph." Then one with a red bandana: "I'm done takin' orders." And it had me. What's so great about the Turtles is that it goes further than the comics; it goes further than the shows, the toys, the merchandise, the movies. There's something inexplicably relatable that resonates within those guys. Beyond those kid-friendly faces of theirs, there are themes that we unconsciously connect with, and we can see bits and pieces of ourselves within them - some more so than others. I have an older brother who no longer speaks to me or my family (it's been that way for some time now), and I don't know what's become of him. When I see the Turtles interacting as brothers, there's that inkling of gratification, that feeling that I still share a brotherly bond with someone. Maybe the reason Raph's my favorite is because he's almost exactly like mine used to be. Not something I realized until much later, because after watching the last 30 minutes of that movie, I didn't revisit the Turtles until seeing the 2012 iteration. The crazy thing is, those relatable themes aren't directly intended for them to portray - they come about through sheer chemistry. It's unbelievable, really, that the Ninja Turtles, of all things, can do that so remarkably effectively. So I can certainly relate to your disappointment that they're fictional. I've actually never pondered on that until now. Looking forward to what more people have to say about this. Quote:
(Your entire post was phenomenally written, by the way.)
__________________
Jason Biggs was the best Leonardo. Last edited by Gunpowder; 09-10-2014 at 01:46 PM. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#24 | ||||||||
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
|
Thanks again for the great posts. I will reply to as many as I can, as succinctly as I can, over a few posts.
Quote:
Yeah, I think there's something about it being the 'first' thing you care for - the first thing is often the thing which makes most impact. It didn't work that way for me but it has for others I know. Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's a fantastic point - we are alone as species. I think often about how we're really the only sentient species - evolved apes. So to see animals who can talk and walk like us is something which is intriguing. Unfortunately in the turtles' universe they know they have to hide as they would be persecuted for this, rather than celebrated. The fact that they know this before even trying to go public is a great social commentary on humanity - a damning indictment of our species. Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
|
||||||||
|
|
|
|
|
#25 | |||||
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
|
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
|
|||||
|
|
|
|
|
#26 | |||
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
|
Quote:
Quote:
I too wish to see this thread go on as I think it's great to hear people's thoughts and stories. Quote:
...................... Apologies for any typos in my responses, and thanks again for all the replies thus far. I know this has been a massive reply (split over three posts due to word limits), but seeing as people took the time to reply so fantastically, I felt that I as thread creator had a responsibility to acknowledge their comments and make some effort to reply in kind. That's not necessary for many threads, but I feel that this is an important topic which deserves some care. Last edited by Davetello; 09-12-2014 at 09:18 AM. |
|||
|
|
|
|
|
#27 |
|
Random Punk
![]() ![]() Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 30
|
These replies make me smile a lot.
What everyone said is relatable, and I can't seem to get my own feelings down in type. Short and gruff version, ditto to all. TMNT/BTVS are my adoptive sibling series. I grew up with these characters, first TMNT circa 1988/89 to BTVS in 96. In every aspect of myself, I find myself able to connect, attach, de-attach with frustration, tear apart quietly, and re-attach with understanding or tolerance, much like a deep sibling attachment. They are relatable, hence connective, to their core. Even in their most fantastical and extraordinary adventures and later lifestyles, they are still fighting a never ending struggle to find a place and meaning, still screwing up and then sometimes getting things right. What isn't awesome about that? You can count me in as a lifer for TMNT.
__________________
"You already have a bow tie collection." "And your lizard stuff!" "I know, but every lizard has a bow tie and lizard stuff collection." |
|
|
|
|
|
#28 | |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#29 |
|
Mad Scientist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,948
|
This is a great topic and one my brother and I were talking about the other day. Out of all the things I've loved over the years pop culture wise...it's only really been Batman and Ninja Turtles that have stayed with me since I was little. Even my Batman appreciation is slowing down more than TMNT lately.
I don't remember why I loved the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles at a young age, but I know I was obsessed with it. I loved the cartoon, I adored the film and I HAD to have all the toys. There was just something about the Turtles themselves and their legion of villains that just appealed to me. It's so easy to see how they influenced many generations of kid's franchises later as well. There's something about those designs of the Shredder, the Turtles and the Foot Clan that will just never leave my mind. As with many franchises, once you dig deeper into the long history and rich stories of the TMNT you become even more immersed. I love film and I've always wanted to create movies that found a balance between Alejandro Jodorowsky, David Lynch and Spike Jonze...I always joked with friends that if I ever became a successful and critically acclaimed director that won all of these awards and Hollywood buzz that my "I MUST MAKE THIS" director project would always be a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film. I just always liked the idea of someone taking the franchise seriously and making a damn good movie in the tone of the original 1990 film. I still stand by that. =) All in all, my obsession may not be as strong at certain times but nothing will ever take how important the TMNT has been to me.
__________________
![]() |
|
|
|
|
|
#30 | |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
|
Quote:
There's something about the turtles, Shredder and the Foot which just really appeals to me as well. I enjoy all the sci-fi stuff immensely too, but the turtles fighting the Foot and Saki at street level has always been my favourite part of the property. I love the way ninjas look - cloaked in black like the Foot or red like the Hand. On that topic, I also credit the turtles for me getting into Daredevil, for obvious reasons. Stories set at street level really appeal to me. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#31 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
|
The TMNT forums have been a little slow, so I decided to bump this for anyone who may not have seen it yet. Anyone have some thoughts they wish to add? Anyone wanna explain why the turtles grab their attention?
|
|
|
|
|
|
#32 | |
|
Mad Scientist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,292
|
Even they are ninjas, the series had stay away from the supernatural ninja. Also it helps that there's no character that are "I'm so hard because I don't smile" like Sasuke.
__________________
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#33 |
|
Team Blue Boy
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,289
|
Really, what other heroes are so badass and dangerous yet you could might wanna hug them to death, too? Nobody, that's who.
When superheros are like "Come! We shall go to this fill in the blank place! I'll use my powers to get there fast! See you in, oh...in about an hour? When you get there." You and Turtles: "Well...I guess we're walking." But I wouldn't want it any other way. |
|
|
|
|
|
#34 |
|
Foot Soldier
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 181
|
Do I have to apologize for getting into the turtles late? I mean they've around for a while and I've only just been a fan since August of this year rofl. I appreciate the turtles for their awesome personalities and how they help save the world.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#35 |
|
Disgusting
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outer Heaven
Posts: 12,231
|
Honestly? It was Ray Fillet who got me hooked. An old Ray Fillet toy that my uncle had. That design was so original and he looked so cool. I took him home and eventually got the rest of his collection. I love the idea and that's kept me staying. You can do so much with it and it's really fun to see different people make stories with the characters.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#36 | |
|
Team Blue Boy
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,289
|
Quote:
Glad you found your Turtles awakening. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#37 |
|
I Married a Duck!
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
|
Well, it was the 90 movie that originally got me into them. I was vaguely aware of the cartoon before that, but never got "into" it until I saw the movie and just fell in love with them. Just seeing these four outsiders who didn't fit in and were alone in the world touched something in me that has never left. I loved their personalities, their family bond, and their willingness to stand up and fight for others, even though they had little reason to. It made me want to be more like that, too. And like others have said, I felt like I could connect with them as friends, if they were real. Even got interested in genetics as a side effect, wondering how it might be possible to create something like them whether by design or accident. I have my theories on that.....
But the funny thing is that even though I moved away from them for a long time, it is still my first REAL love in terms of comic/hero franchises and fandoms. Even Spider-Man (my other big love) takes a back seat to my boys! And there's a few quotes (from one of my fics) I want to share that explains a lot of why/how I see them, and what I think it means to love something even though you can't explain it. “No, you’re not. Don’t ever think that- just because you’re different, it doesn’t make you freaks. You’re just- original. Special. To be honest, I’m not even sure there’s a word yet for what you are. But that’s not a bad thing, Mikey. It just means you’re unique. Something the world’s never seen before. Maybe it’s the start of something new and wonderful.” "Most people would freak out just at the thought that we’re not the only intelligent beings on the planet anymore. It’s just- hard to accept, that’s all. But if you boys were human, and as beautiful on the outside as you are on the inside, Splinter would have to beat off the girls with his walking stick. And THAT’S the honest truth.” He still didn’t seem convinced, so I decided to settle his doubts the only other way I knew how- I leaned in and wrapped my arms around his neck, and kissed his cheek. “Ignore what those idiots back there said. They just don’t see how amazing you are.” "I mean, our whole lives, we’ve been taught that humans would never accept us, and never see us as anything but monsters. But then we actually met a few. April, Casey, Irma, Angel- they don’t treat us like freaks. Even that scumbag Hun respects us, because we’ve kicked his butt so many times. Splinter was wrong, Raph. He said humans could never understand about us- but it’s not true. Some of ’em do. Maybe not many, but enough." "Life is about chances, making our own choices and doing the best we can with what we have."
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs" "Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491 My various stories and fan-fics are now here- https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end |
|
|
|
|
|
#38 |
|
Foot Soldier
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 181
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#39 |
|
Random Punk
![]() ![]() Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: 彰化
Posts: 28
|
For me, the first show got my attention is 2007 movie, and what keeps me going deeper is 2k3 series. But I didn't get into 87's show, believe me, I tried. So I apologize for that if you think I should have watched the entire show already.
I don't exactly know why the Turtles is so important to me, because it all happened in one night when I saw it on TV(and the year is 2010 btw). Looking back, is probably this scene that got me into this franchise. After that, I start to search TMNT on the internet,. Try to find it,but end up found the 87's version(which I do enjoy the few episode from the beginning, because I'm eager to know more about the turtles). And 2k3 series saved me from being the zombie, or I should said "It change my life". Because that's the time when I realize, Taiwan is surrounded by Japanese manga and anime. In that case, some people think Japanese style is better.(The worst thing is, I could be one of them.) But I keep finding things that against that. The story involved so many element. Not just the "Ninja" but also mix the sci-fi and the family bond plus mythology...well, I can go on and on but let's just stop here. Suffice to say, it opens the New World to me. And I had a painful time to adjust my mind to believe the thing I like(TMNT). As 2k3 TMNT keep amaze me, I finally overcome the situation. Nowadays I become out of touch to manga or anime. Sometimes I watch it with my brother because he wants to share it. And I keep trying to telling people that Japanese style didn't take over the world. |
|
|
|
![]() |
|
|