The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
JakeSully
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 782
Raphael's attitude

Is that what makes him the coolest member of the team? even with his Sais?
JakeSully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
I dunno, I suppose his attitude translates to some as "badass."

Although if you ask me, who the coolest is is a matter of opinion. And in my eyes it ain't him.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
Shark_Blade
Emperor
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,909
He's basically the "Hulk-mad-Hulk-smash" member of the team imo.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:48 PM   #4
TechnoJerome
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 16
I've always been a huge Raphael fan so maybe its just me, but to me what makes him kool isnt just his attitude it's his outlook on life. He views the world as one he cant ever relate to or fit in with and it makes him angry, but it's a world fights for anyway. He throws the first punch and has no problems doing these things on his own. If anyone on this forum watches the show Walking Dead then I'd definitely consider him the Daryl Dixon of TMNT.
TechnoJerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:09 PM   #5
Shark_Blade
Emperor
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,909
Funny I thought he's more of Merle Dixon.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:18 AM   #6
JakeSully
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
He's basically the "Hulk-mad-Hulk-smash" member of the team imo.
Now that's a good observation
JakeSully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #7
THGhost
Puppet Master
 
THGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 2,825
Unless you're talking about the 80s Raphael, then he's more like Michelangelo - cracking jokes and breaking the fourth wall. That's what makes him my favourite version of Raphael.
__________________
-
-
-

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #8
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
He's basically the "Hulk-mad-Hulk-smash" member of the team imo.
Yes and no. I think he's popular because people recognize the duality of his nature and relate to it. He's capable of great rage, but he's also capable of great kindness and loyalty (how he protects his brothers, that moment in 2k3 when he gave the old lady a briefcase full of money so she didn't have to move out).

Everybody has darkness and lightness inside of them - I think that draws people to Raph a lot more than simply having a sarcastic quip ever at the ready. His anger and aggression and "attitude" are part of his defense against feeling like a freak, alone and that he's stuck in a world where he'll never really fit in. I really think a lot of people connect with him because of that.

It's easy to dismiss Raph as the Wolverine or the Hulk of the team. There's really a melange of emotions beneath the surface; you just have to look past the anger and think about where it comes from - primarily, insecurity and loneliness. Those are fairly common traits for most people - as I said, I think people tend to be drawn to that.

I think it's less viewing him as "the coolest" and more the fact that he's probably the least optimistic of the team. In real life, optimism is very hard work. Raph generally deals with problems by getting angry at them, which is what a lot of people do (albeit then we have to bury it inside). We wish we could deal with life's irritations by punching them in the face and delivering a pithy one-liner. Because he does what we wish we could do, it ends up making him "the cool one", but it's because of the reasons behind why he does what he does, not simply just the fact that he's violent.

Or perhaps I'm completely full of twaddle - I'm sure Warhorse or someone else can definitely put forward a better analysis of this topic than me; I'm just spitballin' here.
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #9
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
Yes and no. I think he's popular because people recognize the duality of his nature and relate to it. He's capable of great rage, but he's also capable of great kindness and loyalty (how he protects his brothers, that moment in 2k3 when he gave the old lady a briefcase full of money so she didn't have to move out).

Everybody has darkness and lightness inside of them - I think that draws people to Raph a lot more than simply having a sarcastic quip ever at the ready. His anger and aggression and "attitude" are part of his defense against feeling like a freak, alone and that he's stuck in a world where he'll never really fit in. I really think a lot of people connect with him because of that.

It's easy to dismiss Raph as the Wolverine or the Hulk of the team. There's really a melange of emotions beneath the surface; you just have to look past the anger and think about where it comes from - primarily, insecurity and loneliness. Those are fairly common traits for most people - as I said, I think people tend to be drawn to that.

I think it's less viewing him as "the coolest" and more the fact that he's probably the least optimistic of the team. In real life, optimism is very hard work. Raph generally deals with problems by getting angry at them, which is what a lot of people do (albeit then we have to bury it inside). We wish we could deal with life's irritations by punching them in the face and delivering a pithy one-liner. Because he does what we wish we could do, it ends up making him "the cool one", but it's because of the reasons behind why he does what he does, not simply just the fact that he's violent.

Or perhaps I'm completely full of twaddle - I'm sure Warhorse or someone else can definitely put forward a better analysis of this topic than me; I'm just spitballin' here.
You just had to bring me in this one, didn't you!
Yeah, you pretty much nailed it on the head. The other three are too gooey sweet/goody two shoes for most people to relate to. Raph is that particular balance of good guy/bad guy that does fit most personalities. More than likely though, it's the bad boy image that has made him the cool one of the group! IMO of course!

This pretty much sums up Raph for me.





-

Last edited by Warhorse; 10-03-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
The other three are too gooey sweet/goody two shoes for most people to relate to.
Wait, was I just indirectly called a... Fine, I accept my role in life, after all, the world shouldn't be without the counter balance to the Raph sorts.

More on topic, good descriptions, and always nice to see the perspective of fans of characters that others, who are fans of one or another Turtle brother, might not identify with much and find a bit of a mystery.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
Raph generally deals with problems by getting angry at them, which is what a lot of people do (albeit then we have to bury it inside). We wish we could deal with life's irritations by punching them in the face and delivering a pithy one-liner. Because he does what we wish we could do...
There may be a lot of nonsense out there that has no valid truth, but "what your favorite TMNT says about you" surely has some truth in it. If that's how a lot of people feel, then I guess that helps me understand some people a bit more.

(Myself on the other hand, I'm more inclined to step back from a problem, think it over and have my plan of attack for how I'm going to deal with it. Suppose that sounds like one of Raph's brothers... heh KEEP CALM and BLUE MASK ON)
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:03 PM   #11
TechnoJerome
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
Yes and no. I think he's popular because people recognize the duality of his nature and relate to it. He's capable of great rage, but he's also capable of great kindness and loyalty (how he protects his brothers, that moment in 2k3 when he gave the old lady a briefcase full of money so she didn't have to move out).

Everybody has darkness and lightness inside of them - I think that draws people to Raph a lot more than simply having a sarcastic quip ever at the ready. His anger and aggression and "attitude" are part of his defense against feeling like a freak, alone and that he's stuck in a world where he'll never really fit in. I really think a lot of people connect with him because of that.

It's easy to dismiss Raph as the Wolverine or the Hulk of the team. There's really a melange of emotions beneath the surface; you just have to look past the anger and think about where it comes from - primarily, insecurity and loneliness. Those are fairly common traits for most people - as I said, I think people tend to be drawn to that.

I think it's less viewing him as "the coolest" and more the fact that he's probably the least optimistic of the team. In real life, optimism is very hard work. Raph generally deals with problems by getting angry at them, which is what a lot of people do (albeit then we have to bury it inside). We wish we could deal with life's irritations by punching them in the face and delivering a pithy one-liner. Because he does what we wish we could do, it ends up making him "the cool one", but it's because of the reasons behind why he does what he does, not simply just the fact that he's violent.

Or perhaps I'm completely full of twaddle - I'm sure Warhorse or someone else can definitely put forward a better analysis of this topic than me; I'm just spitballin' here.
Yup everything I wish I couldve said in my post, you just did.
TechnoJerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:14 PM   #12
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
I fell for Raph in the OT where he wasn't the one with anger issues...as much... He was just very sarcastic. I swear my sense of humor was shaped by FW Raph...so blame that guys.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #13
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Wait, was I just indirectly called a... Fine, I accept my role in life, after all, the world shouldn't be without the counter balance to the Raph sorts.

More on topic, good descriptions, and always nice to see the perspective of fans of characters that others, who are fans of one or another Turtle brother, might not identify with much and find a bit of a mystery.



There may be a lot of nonsense out there that has no valid truth, but "what your favorite TMNT says about you" surely has some truth in it. If that's how a lot of people feel, then I guess that helps me understand some people a bit more.

(Myself on the other hand, I'm more inclined to step back from a problem, think it over and have my plan of attack for how I'm going to deal with it. Suppose that sounds like one of Raph's brothers... heh KEEP CALM and BLUE MASK ON)
Sadly, with me and my friends/family that like the Turtles, our favorites are almost synonymous with our favorite colors. My favorite color is pink, next closest to it is red, so Raph started out as my favorite when I was kid because of the color red. My cousin is a big TMNT fan, and her favorite is Donnie, because of the purple. Her little one now, I'm not sure why Mikey is her favorite. She just told me because she thinks he's funny and cute and is always nice to everyone. But lately, since the finale, I think she's starting to like Leo a little bit more.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #14
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Well to be fair I'm sure it was probably originally the same way for me when I was young. Liked blue and the original series Turtles didn't really have overly distinct personalities anyhow. Just serendipitous I guess that years later I find he's still my fave yet again and he's grown up, in terms of collective development after 30 years, into a kindred spirit in many ways.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #15
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Well to be fair I'm sure it was probably originally the same way for me when I was young. Liked blue and the original series Turtles didn't really have overly distinct personalities anyhow. Just serendipitous I guess that years later I find he's still my fave yet again and he's grown up, in terms of collective development after 30 years, into a kindred spirit in many ways.
Hilarious truth here. Pink, Red and green are my favorite colors, but if you were to look at the color schemes for my farms, vehicles and houses, you'd swore it was blue. It's not, it's just, blue is cheaper to insure than red is! But, the interior of my house is green walls with red furniture!
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #16
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
But, the interior of my house is green walls with red furniture!
Well if Raph ever showed up in our universe and needed a place to hide, he'd be camouflaged well at your place then.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #17
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Well if Raph ever showed up in our universe and needed a place to hide, he'd be camouflaged well at your place then.
Damn straight. I even have a really adorable Raphael dressed like Santa doll as a throw pillow on one of the love seats.

Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:14 AM   #18
Necrotique
Thug
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 98
I personally love Raph from the new Nickelodeon series, as I was too young to remember the original cartoons. I just love how he's actually pretty sensitive but always plays out with the bluster and acting.
Necrotique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:26 AM   #19
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist
 
Refractive Reflections's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,371
I would say the maybe part of the "coolness" is the outspoken and rebellious aspect of his character, which superficially, can be alluring since it appears he's defending himself immediately against an idea/concept or threat, but its fruitfulness highly depends upon the circumstance (his impetuous response to a situation), and admiration of it, depends on where exactly that outspokenness and rebelliousness is coming from (what he's fighting for, or what's behind the rage).

For example, if there's a genuine heart to "do what's right" behind all the fury and rage then he'll be appreciated (as with Raph's character), but if any type of selfishness or malice slips into those deep-seated intentions, and since his emotions can easily rise to the surface, the character would then be perceived to be a self-centered, contemptible jerk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I fell for Raph in the OT where he wasn't the one with anger issues...as much... He was just very sarcastic. I swear my sense of humor was shaped by FW Raph...so blame that guys.
...So I'll assume you have a sharp sarcastic streak that can be just as brutal as Raph's fighting? ...right Jester?

Last edited by Refractive Reflections; 10-04-2014 at 01:01 AM.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:27 AM   #20
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeSully View Post
Is that what makes him the coolest member of the team? even with his Sais?
well, it's not the sais that matter, but how he uses it.

Really? No one came up with this by now?
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.