The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2015, 11:56 AM   #681
nellyp
Stone Warrior
 
nellyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Moncton, NB, Canada
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
True in the sense that it is real, yes, but not true in that the toy will look the same. Surely it'll have no paint. I imagine the sewer lid foot will be green, even.
All the white bone detail shown will no doubt be green too sadly
nellyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:57 AM   #682
Reigner
Thug
 
Reigner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 95
So is anyone allowed to say that while they can't forgive the cost cutting they can still enjoy the prodcut without the entire board showing up and telling them how wrong they are?

No?

Oh ok carry on.
Reigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:45 PM   #683
nellyp
Stone Warrior
 
nellyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Moncton, NB, Canada
Posts: 545
My kids still enjoy them. It is the person spending the money that it bothers. I'm sure my parents wondered what the big deal was 25 years ago but as someone who enjoyed the originals it is sad. With the nick line the original wave had the best articulation that playmates ever put out so there are some pluses here. Compared to the 2003 line the accessories are a step back though. I wonder what the people working the assembly lines think as they surely would be shown the prototype and know the final product doesn't come close.
nellyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:47 PM   #684
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrokuYoshiFilms View Post
Pixel Dan Vision Quest/Mystic Turtle Review

http://youtu.be/hfRcefd8IbY
Yeah, that's the last nail on the coffin. I'm not buying the Mystic Turtle figures, they simlpy aren't worth the retail price.

At least Leo had wrist swivels, but it looks like Playmates have stopped making him a wakishazi and it's all twin katana again, major bummer if that's the case.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #685
Metalhead 2.0
Stone Warrior
 
Metalhead 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by nellyp View Post
My kids still enjoy them. It is the person spending the money that it bothers. I'm sure my parents wondered what the big deal was 25 years ago but as someone who enjoyed the originals it is sad. With the nick line the original wave had the best articulation that playmates ever put out so there are some pluses here. Compared to the 2003 line the accessories are a step back though. I wonder what the people working the assembly lines think as they surely would be shown the prototype and know the final product doesn't come close.
They're probably thinking, "Stupid kids and their dumb turtles, I'm ready to take my $1.35 an hour and take my ass home."
Metalhead 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #686
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
The Boston Ninja Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by nellyp View Post
My kids still enjoy them.
this is all it comes down to, honestly you want change, then the kids have to be the complainer but i mean really how much are kids going to complain about a new toy

that or the parents have to find some sort of dangerous part of the toy but that could back fire


i know as a kid i didn't care for paint apps, or articulation...size between figures i did care. i always like giant villains to tiny heroes

but really how many times as kids did you actually need your Leonardo to be in a kick pose to kick? or where you like me and lift the whole figure up only making "enemy contact"

and dont give me that crap that you always noticed because you didnt, i hear this amoung the power rangers fandom...4-6 year olds dont care a toy is a toy
__________________
I didn't choose the ninja turtle life. The ninja turtle life chose me.


https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:05 PM   #687
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
I know that I would often pose my figures to kick or do any actions when I was playing alone. I would move leo's sword arm to do the individual cuts and turn his joints to do so while still standing properly.

But, when I played with friends, things had a faster pace.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:51 PM   #688
zaktheneutrino
Stone Warrior
 
zaktheneutrino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrokuYoshiFilms View Post
Pixel Dan Vision Quest/Mystic Turtle Review

http://youtu.be/hfRcefd8IbY
I love how he lies through his teeth by saying "cool" five hundred times in the 12 minutes of review because he doesn't know what else to say. These figures suck...plain and simple.

I wasn't buying them anyway but they even look worse after seeing the review! Too bad Playmates didn't go under before the 2012 series premiered. It would have been interesting had that happened.
__________________
"We strike hard and fade away.....into the night."

Check out my TMNT website for news, reviews and more!
http://www.thewhitefootsoldier.com

Instagram: The White Foot Soldier
zaktheneutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:01 PM   #689
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer
 
Autbot_Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 9,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrokuYoshiFilms View Post
Pixel Dan Vision Quest/Mystic Turtle Review

http://youtu.be/hfRcefd8IbY
I have to give Dan Credit that was one of his most honest reviews I have seen he nailed it on the head with the paint problems. I thought he might be a bit more biased since he gets a lot of toys sent to him from playmates.
__________________
I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:08 PM   #690
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
The Boston Ninja Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaktheneutrino View Post
I love how he lies through his teeth by saying "cool" five hundred times in the 12 minutes of review because he doesn't know what else to say. These figures suck...plain and simple.
part of the reason i dont really like him...i mean i am sure he is a great dude in person but you can tell he writes off alot of stuff and is afraid to be really honest...i feel like 99% of reviews end in approvals


I prefer Shartimus Prime
__________________
I didn't choose the ninja turtle life. The ninja turtle life chose me.


https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle

Last edited by The Boston Ninja Turtle; 02-06-2015 at 03:15 PM.
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:32 PM   #691
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer
 
Autbot_Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 9,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boston Ninja Turtle View Post
part of the reason i dont really like him...i mean i am sure he is a great dude in person but you can tell he writes off alot of stuff and is afraid to be really honest...i feel like 99% of reviews end in approvals


I prefer Shartimus Prime
I half to agree with you Pixel Dan is kind of in good with Playmates he gets a lot sent to him from them and he always interviews them at Toy Fair.
__________________
I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:02 PM   #692
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimajneb View Post
for all the protests against i'm sure you'll all continue to buy


You're quite wrong. There's a whole thread 3 pages long (so far) full of people who have spoken with their wallets.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:53 PM   #693
weizie
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post


You're quite wrong. There's a whole thread 3 pages long (so far) full of people who have spoken with their wallets.
question is, how many of those people are just saying stuff because they are following the crowd, but still buying everything they say they aren't. Lets face it, that happens a lot.
__________________
weizie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:15 PM   #694
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by weizie View Post
question is, how many of those people are just saying stuff because they are following the crowd, but still buying everything they say they aren't. Lets face it, that happens a lot.
I have all of 1 Nick Turtle...and he was a gift. *Thanks Carl!*

I've debated buying the Swapable Mutations for my son, because they look OK...he's 2 and a half...and the "Play value" is a real selling point for me. Otherwise....nah.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:22 PM   #695
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master
 
Zulithe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 6,418
i'm glad pixel dan isn't afraid to highlight the real problem playmates has with paint these days. the quality of the figures coming off the line is at an all-time low.

be sure to e-mail playmates if you feel the same way, or leave feedback on e-retailer listings, social media, whatever you can.

There have been some badly painted figures in this line for a while now, and people have mostly been silent about it. But this time I think it's pretty insulting
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:31 PM   #696
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by weizie View Post
question is, how many of those people are just saying stuff because they are following the crowd, but still buying everything they say they aren't. Lets face it, that happens a lot.
I really don't think it's fair to assume adults into counter-culture & geek sh*t are "following the crowd" in any sense of the phrase. Nerds don't need to fit in, let alone on forums.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:19 AM   #697
DVD
Mad Scientist
 
DVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 2,066
I can't see why people would say one thing and do another, to follow a crowd.
I sure couldn't. As I've said, I've turned disappointment into an advantage.
I've just myself another Katai and RockSteady.
I'm going to set up up the second Karai as a snake, and work a way to build human Karai with the head and a spare April.
RockSteady, I want to have fully detailed. So he's getting the painting done big time.
DVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:33 AM   #698
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by weizie View Post
question is, how many of those people are just saying stuff because they are following the crowd, but still buying everything they say they aren't. Lets face it, that happens a lot.
Well I for one don't really have a bunch of cash to waste on pieces I'm not that interested in. Will save those meager funds for when I do see something I want.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:04 AM   #699
Chris
Mad Scientist
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 1,898
Sadly it's a trade off between cost and quality. You get what you pay for (though barely in this case!)

On one end of the scale you have companies like Hot Toys. Their products look better and better with every release but the price is constantly creeping up to reflect that. More comparably Hasbro's 3 3/4 black series Star Wars figures are now $13 when they used to be $10 and for an even more direct comparison their Rebels/Saga Legends "kids" line is $6 their paint apps blow TMNT out of the water but they're also much smaller and limited to just 5 points of articulation. For all the flak Toyguru used to get over MOTUC he was telling the truth about the cost of paint apps (and making figures in general) and how it's ultimately a compromise to bring a figure in on budget.

Which would we rather have? Paint, articulation or price increase? To be honest if we got paint apps like the prototypes/card back pictures I'd be happy for these to go up to $12-13 but could that hurt Playmates target audience of kids (more specifically the parents buying for the kids who most likely don't care about the paint but do care about that extra $2-3).

Do I think Playmates has cut corners on the Mystic TMNT? Absolutely, they are not the quality they should be and they have quite rightly been called on this both here, in Pixel Dan's review and in other places online. But this line hasn't had a price rise since it started back in 2012. Costs will have gone up in that time so without a price rise to offset that then the quality will go down. Especially when you think that (variants aside) TMNT is pretty much all unique sculpts so they can't reuse parts the way a line like MOTUC can.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:20 AM   #700
MST3KFan
Hench Mutant
 
MST3KFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 485
If we're talking Pixel Dan reviews, I had to laugh at his Party Wagon review when he brings up how 'similar' it is to the 2014 movie van a couple of times.

"That's because it IS the 2014 movie van!!!"

The movie symbol is on the side of the van, the vehicle is REVERSED from how it is on the show with the red door being on the side the movie van had an opening door. The top part is the movie van with all the weird beams instead of shell-like design the Party Wagon has. It even still had the spot where the movie radar dish went.

What's sad is that Playmates did remold some of the movie van body for the Party Wagon with the hockey sticks and vents at the back of the van, which is odd.
MST3KFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.