The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2015, 08:15 AM   #701
zaktheneutrino
Stone Warrior
 
zaktheneutrino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Sadly it's a trade off between cost and quality. You get what you pay for (though barely in this case!)

On one end of the scale you have companies like Hot Toys. Their products look better and better with every release but the price is constantly creeping up to reflect that. More comparably Hasbro's 3 3/4 black series Star Wars figures are now $13 when they used to be $10 and for an even more direct comparison their Rebels/Saga Legends "kids" line is $6 their paint apps blow TMNT out of the water but they're also much smaller and limited to just 5 points of articulation. For all the flak Toyguru used to get over MOTUC he was telling the truth about the cost of paint apps (and making figures in general) and how it's ultimately a compromise to bring a figure in on budget.

Which would we rather have? Paint, articulation or price increase? To be honest if we got paint apps like the prototypes/card back pictures I'd be happy for these to go up to $12-13 but could that hurt Playmates target audience of kids (more specifically the parents buying for the kids who most likely don't care about the paint but do care about that extra $2-3).

Do I think Playmates has cut corners on the Mystic TMNT? Absolutely, they are not the quality they should be and they have quite rightly been called on this both here, in Pixel Dan's review and in other places online. But this line hasn't had a price rise since it started back in 2012. Costs will have gone up in that time so without a price rise to offset that then the quality will go down. Especially when you think that (variants aside) TMNT is pretty much all unique sculpts so they can't reuse parts the way a line like MOTUC can.
Actually, that's not true. The figures were $7.77 at Walmart when they first came out and now $8.88. Quality has gotten worse since the dollar increase.
__________________
"We strike hard and fade away.....into the night."

Check out my TMNT website for news, reviews and more!
http://www.thewhitefootsoldier.com

Instagram: The White Foot Soldier
zaktheneutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:16 AM   #702
Chris
Mad Scientist
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 1,898
Might be wrong about this but isn't that the Wal-Mart price not the RRP? I know here in the UK they've been the same price since they launched. Like I said, I'm in the UK so might be wrong but I thought the official RRP has been $9.99 since the line launched?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:36 AM   #703
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
The Boston Ninja Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 2,440
they where 8.88 at TRU when they first came out too, i remember cause i found it super cheap and grabbed all 4 at once


also i dont think its fair to com[are Hot Toys to Playmates..Hot toys is a very strictly adult collectors toy..you wouldnt buy a hot toys figure for a kid just because its a doll (then again some may), but in reality a Hot Toys fig is not meant for play

NECA would be the closer thing to playmates or even Diamond Select
__________________
I didn't choose the ninja turtle life. The ninja turtle life chose me.


https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle

Last edited by The Boston Ninja Turtle; 02-07-2015 at 10:17 AM.
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:25 PM   #704
Chris
Mad Scientist
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 1,898
The Hot Toys comparison was more to say that Hot Toys has improved in quality but has also increased in price (quite significantly) in recent years. The Playmates line has remained roughly the same price (give or take a dollar depending where you shop) but the quality has dropped over time.

Hot Toys is a adult collector focused niche line. Playmates is a mass market kids line. Hot Toys can increase their prices to maintain/improve the quality of the product they put out, there's enough demand for them to do that (look at the price of their past pieces, pretty much all of them only go up in value). Playmates, for whatever reason, has chosen to maintain the lower price at the expense of quality (likely because, as many have pointed out, they need the price to appeal to parents who don't really care about things like paint apps). That was the comparison I was trying to draw.

The Star Wars example was better. The 5 POA Saga Legends line was brought in to be the kids line as the super articulate figures grew more expensive ($13 now I believe). The paint apps are great but the figures have only 5 POA. It's a compromise to produce a line that parents will buy for their kids.

All I'm trying to say is that if Playmates don't want to raise the price of the line then something, either paint or articulation, has to give. Sadly it's just economics. Personally I'd rather have both and pay $12-13 per figure but maybe Playmates think parents wouldn't be willing to make that leap. They may gain/regain a few adult collectors but if they risk losing too much of their core market then it isn't worth it for them.

That said, even taking that into account the Mystic TMNT just scream corner cutting in the worst way. Less paint apps is one thing, practically zero is another. Even just casting the coloured belts in white or grey would have made a huge difference.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:41 PM   #705
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
I'm already paying $13 at the cheapest, some stores sell TMNT figures for $17-$19.60.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:45 PM   #706
weizie
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I really don't think it's fair to assume adults into counter-culture & geek sh*t are "following the crowd" in any sense of the phrase. Nerds don't need to fit in, let alone on forums.
yet we see it happen all the time.Like where several collectors, usually younger, also make outrageous stories about what they would do or say to scalpers, cashiers who make comments, or people who tease them. The stories that we all have read and automatically call BS. They do it to look "cool". Plus we have also seen several people here comment how they are done and wont buy anymore since the line started, yet they then post pictures of their recent haul. I'm not saying everyone, but there are quite a few who do.
__________________
weizie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:55 PM   #707
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by weizie View Post
yet we see it happen all the time.Like where several collectors, usually younger, also make outrageous stories about what they would do or say to scalpers, cashiers who make comments, or people who tease them. The stories that we all have read and automatically call BS. They do it to look "cool".
I don't see what that has to do with anything. Speaking out of anger or ego doesn't equal trying to impress people.

& I have not seen those kinds of collectors here, though I realize it's totally possible. But with that being said, I don't believe anybody in the thread about being sick of Playmates falls under that category, so it stands to reason that a LOT of people stick by their word when it comes to this stuff.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:17 PM   #708
atreyu2112
Foot Soldier
 
atreyu2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 236
I disagree with the need for a price increase just to have a decent paint app as the other new figures (Bebop, Rocksteady, Footbot) all have decent paint apps. I would assume the corner-cutting would extend to the whole wave then. But it didn't, it's just the Mystic Turtles.

If they do increase the price, I will stop buying them. I did see one Target have a $11.29 price point for the new carded turtles figs. I'm not paying that much. If that trend continues, I am out. I think $9 is the max value for these. There comes a point in expense where I'd rather get something like a Revoltech figure or a unique collectible like the Loyal Subjets/Funko Pop! Turtles over more Playmates basic figures.

The Star Wars price increase on the 3.75" Black Series has spawned huge conversations among collectors. At what point is it too much? And I have to say that at least 2/3 to 3/4 of collectors will NOT purchase those figures at that price point. I simply cannot justify $12-15 for a single 3.75" standard figure.
atreyu2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:43 AM   #709
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
There is also a differnce of saying someone is done with Playmates because the figures are too expensive compared to what you get, and then buy figures when you find them for a lower price or clearance.

If I could find the Mystic Turtles with a severe price drop, I'd might get them. There are figures that haven't arrived yet where I live, since the LARP figures just recently surfaced at one store, and there are some figures that I still would like to own as their quality is still somewhat decent.

IM still interested to get Classics Bebop and Rocksteady since the Nick Basics was a disapointment in scale and paint. But I'm not paying retail price for those "collectors" figures. So I can wait.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:28 AM   #710
kungfufrogz
Thug
 
kungfufrogz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: In a house
Posts: 53
Well lets all enjoy the new Bebop and Rocksteady. Because they look like the last acceptable products in the line.
__________________
KUNGFUFROGZ Your friendly neighborhood punk
kungfufrogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:30 AM   #711
Mew
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: In an apartment
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfufrogz View Post
Well lets all enjoy the new Bebop and Rocksteady. Because they look like the last acceptable products in the line.
Yes.
Baxter Fly is just HORRIBLE!
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:47 AM   #712
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored
 
***First of Two Latin Kings***'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Farm That Time Forgot
Posts: 8,841
I like the BaxterFly design. Is the figure out yet? How do you know it is horrible?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets



International shipping assistance: [email protected]
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:49 AM   #713
Mew
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: In an apartment
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Doo Doo Acureds*** View Post
I like the BaxterFly design. Is the figure out yet? How do you know it is horrible?
The UK website Smyth's toys you can see it.
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:49 AM   #714
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Read the thread, mate.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:02 AM   #715
kungfufrogz
Thug
 
kungfufrogz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: In a house
Posts: 53
It would have been ok if they had at least painted the teeth...
__________________
KUNGFUFROGZ Your friendly neighborhood punk
kungfufrogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:06 AM   #716
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist
 
Ninturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfufrogz View Post
It would have been ok if they had at least painted the teeth...
And his mustache.
Ninturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:09 AM   #717
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
Yeah, not painting his mustache seems odd since its a big character trait, but then again. We are talking about the company that didn't bother to paint the arm and leg wraps on the Mystic Turtles.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:13 AM   #718
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist
 
Ninturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Yeah, not painting his mustache seems odd since its a big character trait, but then again. We are talking about the company that didn't bother to paint the arm and leg wraps on the Mystic Turtles.
At least he has painted ..... eyes .
Ninturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:15 AM   #719
kungfufrogz
Thug
 
kungfufrogz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: In a house
Posts: 53
Look on Smyth's toys. http://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/t...cel&trigger=ac It really says "Most detailed Stockman-Fly figure ever!"
__________________
KUNGFUFROGZ Your friendly neighborhood punk
kungfufrogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:54 AM   #720
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer
 
Autbot_Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 9,168
I really hate playmates false advertising showing the fully painted figure on the box and we get the not so painted figure.
__________________
I respect what FW cartoon did for the turtles franchise but it is the most overrated and hard to watch of the 3 turtles cartoons.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.