The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2015, 08:40 PM   #21
Cipher
Foot Elite
 
Cipher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
You guys do realize in 1984 the internet did not exist, right? I think a lot of you are forgetting that most people had no idea what was going on in the outside world outside of the local news and newspapers.

Its not like Peter Laird could go on google and type in Japanese names back in 1984.
That's exactly what I just said.

Still, it should've been possible to find some, though likely not an entire baby book, with a library visit or two. Worth the effort for the kind of comic they were making? Maybe, maybe not.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:45 PM   #22
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
They could have gone to the library.
If they were serious about making an accurate portrayal of Japanese feudal culture, and not a white guy 80s parody of it, they could have.
We went to the moon with less computer power than the average person has in their smartphones today.

Please stop perpetuating the notion that the world was a desert of knowledge prior to the mainstream access to the internet.

Hell, I found Mirage Studio's address via the card catalog at my local library, back when most Apple IIEs needed a cartridge to load a CD ROM.

They didn't do the research because they didn't felt they had to.
Because this was a joke between two white guys who didn't know any better.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.

Last edited by plastroncafe; 07-01-2015 at 08:52 PM.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:47 PM   #23
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
Did libraries even have that kind of foreign information though? Even then what you would find in the 80's was probably outdated encyclopedias from a decade ago or whatever.

Granted I haven't been to a library since I was like 13 because god bless the internet, so I have no idea what's there anymore.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:48 PM   #24
Cipher
Foot Elite
 
Cipher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,454
Perhaps it should be pointed out that these guys also managed to misspell f*cking "Michelangelo," so let's not make too many excuses for them on the research front.

Re: Cubed, a little MA library probably wouldn't have had an entire book of Japanese names, but it almost certainly would've had some text they could pull three names from.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:56 PM   #25
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
Cyber, just when I think you can't possibly shock me with your ignorance...you do and then some.

Yes. Yes it would have been possible to find information about Japan, and about Japanese Culture, and Japanese names at the public library. And yes in the 1980s. You know we did have Japanese people living in the United States in the 1980s too.

They were lazy, stoner, slacker Art Students dicking around while watching television.

Just as a point of order Cipher, it would have been a New Hampshire library, because they were living in Dover at the time.
And secondly, North Hampton has some really freaking famous universities around it.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:57 PM   #26
Xav
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
They were lazy, stoner, slacker Art Students dicking around while watching television.
I don't know if they were lazy, stoner, slackers, they did put a whole comic together, and Eastman claims there were no drugs involved.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:07 PM   #27
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
Eastman and Laird did a very poor research of Japanese culture, yes. They gave Shredder a girl's name(although some Japanese names are gender-neutral, dunno if Saki's the case...) and inaccurately depicted Ninjas. I don't thin kit's much of a farfetched excuse that it wasn't that easy to access data back then... but Hergé, a Belgian author, was pretty accurate with his depictions of different people and cultures(except for Tintin in Congo and The Blue Lotus which are quite racist...). And he was drawing comics back in the 40s, 50s and 60s. I bet it was waaaaaaay harder for him to do some proper research back then than it was for Eastman and laird in the 80s.

It doesn't bother me much, anyway, since I've never seen the TMNT as a guide for Japanese culture; but if I was an author, I'd try to do some proper research. Especially if I want to depict something accurately. I guess Eastman and Laird just didn't care much about an accurate portrayal of the Japanese culture and Ninjas in their work. And I can see why some people would be disappointed and upset about it. One of my least FW episodes was the one they went to Lisbon, Portugal. Nothing in it was accurate. It's like they initially wanted to set the episode in Pamplona, Spain; but for some reason decided to switch location in the last minute. Inaccurately representations of culture in the media can be pretty damaging considering the media is a powerful force that can really shape people's minds.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:13 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
Kevin Eastman didn't know anything about Japan beyond Bruce Lee films. I mean these were two white men in the mid 80's, what did anyone know about Asian culture back then beyond karate, sushi, and Chinese take out?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:21 PM   #29
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
Sweet Mother, Cubed, it's NOT that hard to do a little research! My local library has SEVERAL books on Japan and it's history and culture, which all include REAL Japanese names- and most of those books are older than TMNT. Not to mention there are books on martial arts, too. In fact, it's not hard to find books on either subject. It would've been even easier back then, given that libraries devoted more of their space and budgets to actual BOOKS, unlike today where nearly half the space is for computer use.


Also, Bruce Lee was not Japanese, nor did he use karate. Geez, at least get THAT part right, would ya?! (And AFAIK, his movies were mostly set and/or made in China or Hong Kong, not Japan.) Gah, now I'm correcting Cubed- how did it come to this?!
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:22 PM   #30
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Kevin Eastman didn't know anything about Japan beyond Bruce Lee films. I mean these were two white men in the mid 80's, what did anyone know about Asian culture back then beyond karate, sushi, and Chinese take out?
Well, ye, like I've said, they could have put more effort into it, but I don't really blame them either since it wasn't that easy to make some deep research back then as it is today.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:56 PM   #31
Cipher
Foot Elite
 
Cipher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Just as a point of order Cipher, it would have been a New Hampshire library, because they were living in Dover at the time.
And secondly, North Hampton has some really freaking famous universities around it.
Fair points, but I disagree because this is the Internet and I will not concede!
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:44 AM   #32
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
and Eastman claims there were no drugs involved.
There was probably a couple off sandwiches involved

Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:33 AM   #33
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 7,926
If this thread has shown us anything, it's that you can have home access to the internet and STILL not know anything about Japanese Culture and Heritage.

Maybe...visiting a library might help. Where one could go up to any librarian and say:
Gosh, I'm writing a story about three Japanese people and need help finding names.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:43 AM   #34
HotJuicyBurgers
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,023
As was mentioned before, I don't think Kevin and Peter bothered doing much research because they really didn't think much of the "future" of the book. I'm sure if they had planned on making a whole series they would have done more research, but I also don't think the first book would have been as awesome as it is if they had done so much planning. If they were creating the a series, in the first issue, almost certainly no action would have occurred, just setting up story and characters.
__________________
A small blog that a friend of mine and I started reviewing some games of all genre's. Stop by if you have a second.

http://bootd.wordpress.com/
HotJuicyBurgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:44 AM   #35
Wolfie65
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 182
To their credit, Eastman & Laird have admitted that everything they 'knew' about martial arts, Japanese culture/language/mythology, Ninjitsu, etc. came from Kung Fu movies, so why should the 'Japanese' names they came up with be any more authentic?
And yes, verifying how real a made-up foreign name is would have been difficult in the pre-internet 1980's, so they just wrote something that sounded cool to them, the end.
Hollywoodland is chock full to the gills of German, French, Chinese, Scandinavian and other non-Anglo words and names no one in those respective cultures would even recognize.
Wolfie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:54 AM   #36
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist
 
Panda_Kahn_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,715
I know this is an old thread, but...

Personally, I'd just make shredder's name actually be Oroku Sawaki, like they did in Japan. The TMNT just call him Saki just to annoy him over the 'delicate flower' bit. As for Tang Shen, I've said in other threads that she could either be in Japan as a migrant worker, or be the daughter of a Chinese merchant (depending on if she's feudal or modern). There are ways to work around this stuff.
__________________
My TMNT fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1266176...n-a-Half-Shell

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:03 AM   #37
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
I know this is an old thread, but...

Personally, I'd just make shredder's name actually be Oroku Sawaki, like they did in Japan. The TMNT just call him Saki just to annoy him over the 'delicate flower' bit. As for Tang Shen, I've said in other threads that she could either be in Japan as a migrant worker, or be the daughter of a Chinese merchant (depending on if she's feudal or modern). There are ways to work around this stuff.
Good ideas.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:49 PM   #38
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
I know this is an old thread, but...

Personally, I'd just make shredder's name actually be Oroku Sawaki, like they did in Japan. The TMNT just call him Saki just to annoy him over the 'delicate flower' bit. As for Tang Shen, I've said in other threads that she could either be in Japan as a migrant worker, or be the daughter of a Chinese merchant (depending on if she's feudal or modern). There are ways to work around this stuff.
The recent Nick ep did a decent job regarding Tang Shen. At least they acknowledged that she was part Chinese or whatever.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:54 PM   #39
Bombshell
Thug
 
Bombshell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 73
No wonder Shredder has an angry
__________________
Bombshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:18 PM   #40
Xav
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
Personally, I'd just make shredder's name actually be Oroku Sawaki, like they did in Japan. The TMNT just call him Saki just to annoy him over the 'delicate flower' bit.
What about calling "Hamato Yoshi" "Hamada Yoshi"?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
saki, yoshi


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.