![]() |
|
|
#21 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
|
Nothing that evil is the work of just one guy.
But seriously. Leo's arms and hands look like he just got finished taking a horse's rectal temperature. I'd definitely be curious as to what brought that on. |
|
|
|
|
|
#22 |
|
Samhain
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,277
|
So much leather.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#23 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
|
The awful paint job on those things really highlights the "Shell Abs", too.
If anything they're even more humanoid than the last time. That's awful. It's convenient that C42's sig pic is at the bottom of Page 1. My wife and I were looking at the picture up top of the cake toppers, and I was able to conveniently scroll between the pic of the "Classic" TMNT at the bottom of the screen and this abomination, and I said, "If you didn't already know, and I told you that both of these pictures were technically of the same thing, you would NEVER believe me in a million years." Other than being green, they have not a single thing in common. Comparing them, the new designs don't even look a thing like "Ninja Turtles", they look like four bodybuilders, painted green, wearing army gear backpacks. I mean their "shells" literally look like they're being held in place by all those straps. "That's still good enough!" - PD's art department and a million delusional apologists. F*cking trash. |
|
|
|
|
|
#24 | |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,954
|
Quote:
Crams' Shredder design Spoiler:
https://www.artstation.com/artist/jaredkrichevsky He's also one of the guys who had "ideas" about how to "improve" Spiderman's costume. He's also the same guy who designed the angels for Noah's ark https://www.artstation.com/artwork/OyoGy Are we seeing a pattern yet? |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#25 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
|
After a quick skim:
To be fair, I could never do anything like that in a billion years. Kills me what people can do with computers these days. On the other hand: My, someone's a real fan of "busy" designs and clutter. That "Shredder" is the drizzling sh*ts. Yeow. |
|
|
|
|
|
#26 | |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: In an apartment
Posts: 3,159
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#27 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
|
I'm not convinced that's even awesome. Awesome as what, exactly? It's just a jumbled-up, over-designed mess, some army guy with blades stuck to him in a bunch of odd and impractical places.
Maybe as a sub-boss in a video game or something. I mean video game characters are over-designed on purpose. Come to think of it, yeah, I definitely get a "Rejected From Metal Gear Solid V" vibe off of that guy. |
|
|
|
|
|
#28 | |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,954
|
Quote:
Basically lots of these guys start with a photo, then add "stuff" till it looks different. It's not art. Some guys use a 3d tool, that, again, takes a bit to master, but definately does a lot of the heavy lifting. NONE of these guys are sitting down with raw materials and starting from scratch. Once you know how they do it, it's far from impresive. Short answer? yeah, if you took the same classes, for two years, you couldn't do worse. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#29 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
|
I still draw with a pencil. On actual paper. No foolin'. I'm living in caves compared to these mooks nowadays.
![]() Bad design is still bad design, though. |
|
|
|
|
|
#30 |
|
Samhain
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,277
|
And just for fun, here are the original 2014 cake toppers
Spoiler:
The new ones are vaaastly different from the old ones, but also exactly the same somehow. The whole loin cloth thing is gone, but now they all just wearing pants. Leo is significantly MORE covered, now both arms are. Minus the chest thing and shoulder pads. Raph is also more covered now. Pants and one long bicep length glove and a shoulder thing on his left arm, and one lone Michael Jackson glove on his right hand. Full bandana mask remains because reasons. As you can see on the old cake topper image sunglasses weren't there either so they may still be included because that's apparently what makes him cool but rude. Gimme a break. Donnie also no longer has a loin cloth thing but now full pants and JUST suspenders, because nerd. Still has glasses or goggles AS WELL AS the ecto goggles on his head. His shell looks considerably bigger and more detailed than the others, indicating that he's still got sh*t all over it. Might just be the angle but I doubt it. He also looks slightly bigger/bulkier because Bay wills it I guess. Mikey looks mostly the same. Still got the stupid glasses which I assume will mean he's still got the stupid necklace. He's still tying a sweater or jacket around his wait even though he literally still has pants. There you go. They're mostly different but in a worse way, still retaining all the things they shouldn't. This is probably definitely how they'll look in the movie. |
|
|
|
|
|
#31 |
|
Hench Mutant
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 492
|
Eh ok I guess
|
|
|
|
|
|
#32 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,954
|
See Mew, the thing Leo is getting at is this: art is about more than just blending up awesome stuff to get more awesome stuff.
I love lobster, and I love Nutella spread, and I love fresh orange juice. I also enjoy brushing my teeth. Guess what doesn't go together? Art can be driven by discord, but most often, in the natural world, there's a harmonious balance to living things. When you design said things, for the audience to buy that they exist, you need to understand more than just how the tool works. This is why young "rockstar" designers in the artworld are RARE, and also why modern art is easy. The reason I use this sig in particular, is that it's an example of great design. No they don't look like turtles, and yet, you know they are turtles. They're bodies are vastly out of proportion, and yet, it looks plausible and functional some how. GOOD design. Last edited by Commenter 42; 11-30-2015 at 09:06 AM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#33 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
|
"More straps! More claws! More guns! GIVE HIM A JETPACK!" - The Rob Liefeld/Image Comics School of Art & Design.
Literally. That's the entire curriculum. |
|
|
|
|
|
#34 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,954
|
Problem is, this goof has been hired for almost every single "creature" show going. He must have other "talents".
|
|
|
|
|
|
#35 | |
|
Samhain
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,277
|
Quote:
Donnie will have an entirely robotic shell. Raphael will carry two large guns with his sais strapped to the bottom of them like bayonets. At the end of the movie he'll blow Krang away and say "Cowa-mother f*cking-bunga, bitch." |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#36 |
|
Banned
![]() Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#37 |
|
Mad Scientist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,110
|
WTF IS THAT ****. I WANT MY TURTLES. NOT THAT. THIS IS A WORSE REVEAL THAN THE COSTUME FROM THE FIRST MOVIE!!
(This is a Photoshop prank isnt it?)
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#38 |
|
Like, stupid rich.
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Rawkzone
Posts: 2,808
|
I'm going to guess the bottom halves aren't painted yet. Mikey's still wearing shorts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#39 |
|
Mad Scientist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,425
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#40 |
|
Mad Scientist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,994
|
I'd put more of the blame on Bay and the higher ups. I'm sure they're giving him the crappy direction but I'd say he's also guilty to an extent as well.
Last edited by Sabacooza; 11-30-2015 at 09:40 AM. |
|
|
|
![]() |
|
|