The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2016, 08:28 PM   #41
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia
 
DestronMirage22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I remember seeing that when they announced the first PD movie.
Reminds me a lot about Null.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:03 AM   #42
Wesley
Mad Scientist
 
Wesley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 1,597
Didn't realise it was the 29th anniversary Anyway, the Fred Wolf cartoon isn't as good as I remembered it as a kid, but I think it's still a good enough cartoon. It's alright in small doses. I think half of the episodes are still fun to watch. I'm actually surprised that it still holds up better than other 80s/90s kids shows to me and parts of it are more enjoyable as an adult, as a lot of the humour went over my head as a kid.
__________________
Donatello: The tracker! It might work.
*Donatello goes to the back of the Turtle Van*
Raphael: Shrewd move, Donatello. If we ignore the problem, it might go away by itself. (from The Mean Machines)
Wesley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:46 PM   #43
Lisardo
Stone Warrior
 
Lisardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 702
Oh yeah it did premiere in Dec. 1987 didn't it! I was a mere 7 years old back then. I don't think I first saw it till 1988 or 1989, but I forget.
__________________
"Look I'm not gonna stop doing what's right just because it's not appreciated." -Leo

Lisardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:04 PM   #44
ABrown
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
What, are you sh*tting me?
Nope. I was just watching the Phineas and Ferb "Mission Marvel" episode today. And I was thinking to myself: THIS is what Nick's TMNT should be. Nickelodeon does fun a lot better than it does serious. They should stick to their strengths.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:49 PM   #45
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
As much as I love the original cartoon, there were a lot of problems with it; Continuity blunders, animation errors up the rear end and don't even get me started on the replacement voice acting in the later years. Still, it had potential. David Wise did some of the best episodes, especially in season 7. I wish he had continued to do the show in season 9 instead of handing it over to whoever the hell thought Dregg and Carter were good ideas.
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:53 PM   #46
Vegita-San
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,089
as i recall..

the animation switch over was to compete with batman.

and dregg and carter where ideas of some cbs executive. my guess is they whre trying to drive away viewers, and it almost worked in my case. bad animation, annoying new hero who was useless.....power rangerl ike villain..

tmnt was cbs's only animated show at that point. but even that couldn't kill it.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:54 PM   #47
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
As much as I love the original cartoon, there were a lot of problems with it; Continuity blunders, animation errors up the rear end and don't even get me started on the replacement voice acting in the later years. Still, it had potential. David Wise did some of the best episodes, especially in season 7. I wish he had continued to do the show in season 9 instead of handing it over to whoever the hell thought Dregg and Carter were good ideas.
Or the time they retcon the Turtles origin with Mondo Gecko.
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:50 PM   #48
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
Mondo wasn't a retcon though. He was an ADDITION to the origin, one that could easily have been there all along, but was simply not known until Michelangelo's dream. Mondo was taken before Splinter found the turtles in the mutagen. The only real question was why they were not taken as well.
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:27 AM   #49
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 10,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
as i recall..

the animation switch over was to compete with batman.

and dregg and carter where ideas of some cbs executive. my guess is they whre trying to drive away viewers, and it almost worked in my case. bad animation, annoying new hero who was useless.....power rangerl ike villain..

tmnt was cbs's only animated show at that point. but even that couldn't kill it.
The changes began during season 8. Dregg and Carter appear during seasons 9-10.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:32 AM   #50
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,412
I have a theory. Pretty much everyone outgrew or simply tired of FW TMNT, ratings dropped and toy sales were down, so they panicked, uprooted a lot of the old guard (David Wise, etc.) and tried to do... something new. Largely inspired by the other things out there that were working for kids (Power Rangers and so on).

I'm not sure why that's so hard to fathom.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:40 AM   #51
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,805
The original cartoon aired over the course of 10 years. Of course the earliest kids would have already been teenagers by the time it was halfway through. And being in the 90's most teens at the time didn't watch cartoons, people were told to outgrow cartoons and videogames back then.

Its a lot different than today, where many adults do still watch cartoons and play videogames. Its so weird to see how different things are from the 90's, where back then people were told to leave comics, cartoons and videogames behind....and now all the current 20-30 year adults still love this stuff and never dropped it.

I guess society has changed. Now we can embrace being manchildren.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 12:02 PM   #52
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 10,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The original cartoon aired over the course of 10 years. Of course the earliest kids would have already been teenagers by the time it was halfway through. And being in the 90's most teens at the time didn't watch cartoons, people were told to outgrow cartoons and videogames back then.

Its a lot different than today, where many adults do still watch cartoons and play videogames. Its so weird to see how different things are from the 90's, where back then people were told to leave comics, cartoons and videogames behind....and now all the current 20-30 year adults still love this stuff and never dropped it.

I guess society has changed. Now we can embrace being manchildren.
That change is great. Because if you're told to outgrow, what comes instead once you become a teenager? Maybe gangs and vandalism walking through the streets of town breaking streetlights and smashing cars instead of going to the lessons at school? Maybe tobacco? Maybe alcohol? Maybe drugs?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:50 PM   #53
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold
 
TheCanadiandrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Posts: 19,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Today marks the 29th anniversary of the Fred Wolf series, It premiered on December 14, 1987.
damn i feel old
__________________


Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:42 AM   #54
neatoman
Overlord
 
neatoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 11,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I have a theory. Pretty much everyone outgrew or simply tired of FW TMNT, ratings dropped and toy sales were down, so they panicked, uprooted a lot of the old guard (David Wise, etc.) and tried to do... something new. Largely inspired by the other things out there that were working for kids (Power Rangers and so on).

I'm not sure why that's so hard to fathom.
Pretty much a no brainer.

But I wonder when the ratings dropped? Any ideas of when that happened? Was it during season 7 or had the ratings already been dropping for a while by that point? Considering how they produced 3 (albeit short) seasons after season 7, I'm willing to bet the ratings dropped before season 7.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:01 AM   #55
cammy85
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minnedosa, MB Canada
Posts: 772
IMO (and I'm sure here were reasons for this), it had to do with the fact that Season 4 was a full 13 week/26 episode season but Seasons 5-7 were shorter and used older episodes to run out the time. That got old quick.
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:10 AM   #56
pferreira
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
It would be pretty awesome if they released a blu-ray for the original cartoon. I wonder how many it would take to fit the entire show.
I'm sure it could be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
4Kids is just as wacky and campy as FW in many ways.
I have never heard anyone refer to the 4Kids series as 'wacky and campy'. The 4Kids series from what I've seen is all about the seriousness. Please explain, I'm curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
I wish he had continued to do the show in season 9 instead of handing it over to whoever the hell thought Dregg and Carter were good ideas.
As mentioned before CBS executives felt they knew better and got rid of Wise after Season 9. Realising their mistake when writer Jeffrey Scott ran into trouble with the scripts CBS brought Wise back to rewrite one or two of Scott's scripts for Season 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I have a theory. Pretty much everyone outgrew or simply tired of FW TMNT, ratings dropped and toy sales were down, so they panicked, uprooted a lot of the old guard (David Wise, etc.) and tried to do... something new.
As mentioned above they kept Wise for a couple of seasons and then got rid of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
But I wonder when the ratings dropped? Any ideas of when that happened? Was it during season 7 or had the ratings already been dropping for a while by that point? Considering how they produced 3 (albeit short) seasons after season 7, I'm willing to bet the ratings dropped before season 7.
I would say around Season 6 the ratings started to drop. Season 7 was a huge continuity season in 1993 to try and bring in the fans but that didn't work while the third Turtles movie failed to do big business at the Box Office.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:23 AM   #57
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 10,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I have never heard anyone refer to the 4Kids series as 'wacky and campy'. The 4Kids series from what I've seen is all about the seriousness. Please explain, I'm curious.
I guess those saying that only know the 1987–1996 animated TV-series and the 1988–1996 Archie TMNT Adventures comics, juding everything after that.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:25 AM   #58
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I have never heard anyone refer to the 4Kids series as 'wacky and campy'. The 4Kids series from what I've seen is all about the seriousness. Please explain, I'm curious.
Because every moment that could be remotely construed as "serious" is counterbalanced by tons of camp characters and/or vehicles and slapstick and inherent goofiness.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:39 AM   #59
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 10,480
At least, 30 this year and in 2018, the Archie TMNT Adventures will celebrate 30 too!
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:23 AM   #60
pferreira
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Because every moment that could be remotely construed as "serious" is counterbalanced by tons of camp characters and/or vehicles and slapstick and inherent goofiness.
The one thing that always puts me off slightly about the 2003 series is whenever we get a battle sequence the show has to go into widescreen. It's totally unnecessary and I find it cheesy.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.