The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2017, 03:53 PM   #41
AquaParade
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
Great interview and awesome cover! Thanks for posting.

I absolutely love reading these interviews and getting a peek behind the scenes with Bobby, Tom, or Kevin. Please keep doing these guys, I find them fascinating.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:17 PM   #42
old_hob88
Foot Soldier
 
old_hob88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Baltimore, Marlyand
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
If I remember, Eastman started a fan club where subscribers could get advanced peeks at his various drawings and cover concepts. I'm guessing some subscriber decided to share the wealth on that French fansite. International immunity, I guess?
Nah Kevin leaked the info at the con he was at in Belgium this weekend
old_hob88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:32 PM   #43
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
This was definitely not meant to be shared! Cat is out of bag, but yeah: this was meant to be secret, so consider yourself spoiled.
Great interview! Sorry stuff got spoiled... I'm sure it annoys the team.

That said, I'm definitely excited for #71-72. But first... BACK TO BISHOP.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:34 PM   #44
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 14,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
So Jagwar and Mammoth are going to appear in #71/72. Jagwar like Nill has been gender flipped. That is fine, but what would Null and Jagwar of Archie say in response? Friend or foe? Pantheon members? Mutants? Something else?
I wonder if they are gonna make Jagwar a mutant, and they will borrow the idea from the archie comic of him being born of a human mother, and jaguar spirit.
__________________

Follow me on my Tiktok
https://www.tiktok.com/@tygerclaw305
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:36 PM   #45
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,798
Hard to believe after this and the Trial of Krang, IDW TMNT will be at nearly 80 issues. After that just 20 issues till the big 100. They're probably going to wrap up a lot of the major plotlines by then, most obvious one being the Pantheon finally, so I hope they take care of a lot of the groundwork now.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:00 PM   #46
AquaParade
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Hard to believe after this and the Trial of Krang, IDW TMNT will be at nearly 80 issues. After that just 20 issues till the big 100. They're probably going to wrap up a lot of the major plotlines by then, most obvious one being the Pantheon finally, so I hope they take care of a lot of the groundwork now.
It is pretty impressive what they've manage to do, especially given the current state of the comic book industry and it's struggle to keep readers hooked without a new #1.

That said, I wouldn't mind a fresh start after issue #100/150. By that I mean a new main writer and set of artists to shake things up and give a fresh direction. I'd still love to see Kevin involved in whatever capacity.

I'm blown away by what the current team has been able to achieve in regards to keeping things consistent over such a long period of time, but I do think it's nearly time to see what another team can do with the reigns.

That said, I'd never wish anyone out of a job, the current book is something special, and "the grass is always greener...", so I look forward to whatever comes next for this book.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:05 PM   #47
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,798
Well all the specials and Universe have different writers already. I prefer they continue with the same continuity until whenever the series ends or gets canceled, which hopefully won't be for a long time.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:30 PM   #48
ChosenOne
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,951
I've repeatedly stated that I feel like this book can go to #150 and possibly even further beyond. There's just so much history to mine, and new original directions to take, that a reboot/relaunch wouldn't really be bringing anything worthwhile to the table. How would it start? Another feud with Shredder? Nope, much better they stay the course and keep building on the world and its characters. IDW TMNT can go up to #200, if it keeps up this level of quality.

Last edited by ChosenOne; 02-27-2017 at 07:40 PM.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:36 PM   #49
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
That said, I wouldn't mind a fresh start after issue #100/150. By that I mean a new main writer and set of artists to shake things up and give a fresh direction. I'd still love to see Kevin involved in whatever capacity.
No way, man, the main comic industry (DC/Marvel) is nothing BUT new starts, restarts, refreshes, reboots, retreads... all plot and character developments are overwritten or undone in a couple of years.

I'd MUCH rather see this build to Issue #300. Just keep going and going. Then, if Bobby, Tom, and Kevin run out of ideas, build to an epic climax and end.

THEN a new take.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:43 AM   #50
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor
 
ProphetofGanja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dub Side of the Moon
Posts: 3,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
That said, I wouldn't mind a fresh start after issue #100/150. By that I mean a new main writer and set of artists to shake things up and give a fresh direction. I'd still love to see Kevin involved in whatever capacity.
Nooooooo. We already have a rotating stable of artists for the main ongoing and TMNTU and other minis have different writers all the time. It would be dumb as hell to say "hmm we've got a phenomenal team that has reached an incredible milestone, let's fire them all and bring in a new team". That's just my opinion though. I'm super stoked that this series is well on its way to an issue #100, something other TMNT comics haven't achieved.

That being said, I could understand if the team decided to restart their numbering after #100, without rebooting. Call it a jumping on point for new readers, whatever, it'll probably be a new and interesting status quo anyways. The Turtles will likely have laid to rest some of their foes for good and have a whole new batch of enemies to fight. Those of us who have been here since the early days will know that that #1 is really a #101.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:26 AM   #51
ChosenOne
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Nooooooo. We already have a rotating stable of artists for the main ongoing and TMNTU and other minis have different writers all the time. It would be dumb as hell to say "hmm we've got a phenomenal team that has reached an incredible milestone, let's fire them all and bring in a new team". That's just my opinion though. I'm super stoked that this series is well on its way to an issue #100, something other TMNT comics haven't achieved.

That being said, I could understand if the team decided to restart their numbering after #100, without rebooting. Call it a jumping on point for new readers, whatever, it'll probably be a new and interesting status quo anyways. The Turtles will likely have laid to rest some of their foes for good and have a whole new batch of enemies to fight. Those of us who have been here since the early days will know that that #1 is really a #101.
I'd still prefer it being numbered as #101 and onwards. It's a silly notion that every successful comic needs to relaunch constantly, IDW TMNT is consistently the best book(s) on the market right now and I'd love to see it go on without resorting to such fanbase-alienating gimmicks.

Making it past 100 issues and counting should be a badge of honor, not something to be ashamed of.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:47 AM   #52
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor
 
ProphetofGanja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dub Side of the Moon
Posts: 3,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
I'd still prefer it being numbered as #101 and onwards. It's a silly notion that every successful comic needs to relaunch constantly, IDW TMNT is consistently the best book(s) on the market right now and I'd love to see it go on without resorting to such fanbase-alienating gimmicks.

Making it past 100 issues and counting should be a badge of honor, not something to be ashamed of.
While I agree that a series reaching issue #100 is a badge of honor and a sign that the creative team definitely knows wtf they're doing, it seems to me that with the state of the comics industry as it is, as a series' issue numbers go up and up and up, it can become more and more intimidating for new readers to jump in.

Think about it like this: if you could choose between getting another 100 issues, guaranteed, with no reboot and all plot threads being continued, but with the issue numbering starting over, or another 100 issues starting at #101 but with only a, let's say, 50% chance of sales staying strong enough to get through another 100 issues without getting canceled before then, which would you choose?? I know I'd go for the sure thing! Of course things aren't nearly that simple in real life, but just as a simple thought exercise I would much rather IDW do what is best for the series' longevity than get caught up on something as trivial as issue numbering.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:50 AM   #53
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
While I agree that a series reaching issue #100 is a badge of honor and a sign that the creative team definitely knows wtf they're doing, it seems to me that with the state of the comics industry as it is, as a series' issue numbers go up and up and up, it can become more and more intimidating for new readers to jump in.

Think about it like this: if you could choose between getting another 100 issues, guaranteed, with no reboot and all plot threads being continued, but with the issue numbering starting over, or another 100 issues starting at #101 but with only a, let's say, 50% chance of sales staying strong enough to get through another 100 issues without getting canceled before then, which would you choose?? I know I'd go for the sure thing! Of course things aren't nearly that simple in real life, but just as a simple thought exercise I would much rather IDW do what is best for the series' longevity than get caught up on something as trivial as issue numbering.
If it's only a matter of branding/numbering, then I don't care. Do what makes sense for the property.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:15 AM   #54
AlessandraDC
Thug
 
AlessandraDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 95
I agree. I'm sick of re-launching! TMNT is doing great right now. They have good writing and artistic talents. I say keep it up! TMNT Universe definitely allows for them to try out other things and types of stories. In the future, there may be something that works really well on Universe that can be carried over. But I for one, am happy with the continuity of the main book!
AlessandraDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:16 AM   #55
AquaParade
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
I can understand why I am in the minority on wanting a "fresh start". It's a breath of fresh air, what IDW is doing with their numbering.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:18 AM   #56
ChosenOne
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Think about it like this: if you could choose between getting another 100 issues, guaranteed, with no reboot and all plot threads being continued, but with the issue numbering starting over, or another 100 issues starting at #101 but with only a, let's say, 50% chance of sales staying strong enough to get through another 100 issues without getting canceled before then, which would you choose?? I know I'd go for the sure thing! Of course things aren't nearly that simple in real life, but just as a simple thought exercise I would much rather IDW do what is best for the series' longevity than get caught up on something as trivial as issue numbering.
Honestly? I realize this may be an unpopular opinion, but if the cancellation left them enough time to wrap things up with one big bang of a final arc (like what Invincible is doing), I'd rather things just kept going as they are. Even if sales dip, they won't believably dip that far and that fast that the cancellation can't be seen coming in time to properly end the series. But this is just me. I blame Marvel and DC for giving me an aversion to all things reboot and relaunch.

You have to realize that the jumping-on point notion wouldn't afford them that much extra leeway if things were really that bad... It's a temporary fix, 10 issues or so into the relaunch and sales would be the same as they were in a post-100 landscape. That's almost always the case.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:37 AM   #57
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,798
Honestly issue count going on past #101 is just a number. IDW TMNT ALREADY has 100+ issues when you count all the specials/mini's/Universe combined.

If they feel starting over at #1 after issue 100 comes out will increase sales and keep the series around, that's for the best. It'll likely keep the same continuity and I doubt Tom or Bobby will quit anytime soon, so we'll have the same creative team.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:46 AM   #58
ChosenOne
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Honestly issue count going on past #101 is just a number. IDW TMNT ALREADY has 100+ issues when you count all the specials/mini's/Universe combined.

If they feel starting over at #1 after issue 100 comes out will increase sales and keep the series around, that's for the best. It'll likely keep the same continuity and I doubt Tom or Bobby will quit anytime soon, so we'll have the same creative team.
It is and it isn't just a number. Imagine if, for instance, The Walking Dead comic had started over after issue #100. Same exact continuity, same exact characters, same exact creative team. Would it have worked? Would it have been well received? Would it have boosted the sales any more?

Now, I'm not gonna comment on the quality of that comic post-All Out War, but for such a great series as IDW TMNT, and all things being equal, I'd rather they kept pushing the envelope as far as they can on the numbering. Counting past 100 says to the readers, both current and potential: "Look, here is a confident long-running comic that isn't afraid of its own history, it's good and we know it, why don't you come find out too?"

How often are readers hooked solely on relaunches, anyway? Isn't that a bit too 90's speculative boom-ish? Personally, I've often picked up new comics (Afterlife with Archie, Manifest Destiny, etc) several issues in and only because someone told me about them, or I read something about them online that made me curious. Word of mouth can have a much more positive impact than seeing a new #1 in the stores.

Last edited by ChosenOne; 02-28-2017 at 11:52 AM.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:53 AM   #59
AquaParade
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
Anyone else curious as to what Tom is hinting at when he mentions having a bigger reveal than the reincarnation aspect?

The reincarnation idea really was fantastic, so I'm definitely curious to see what other big plans he has in store before issue 100. Any hints, Tom?
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:57 AM   #60
ChosenOne
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Anyone else curious as to what Tom is hinting at when he mentions having a bigger reveal than the reincarnation aspect?

The reincarnation idea really was fantastic, so I'm definitely curious to see what other big plans he has in store before issue 100. Any hints, Tom?
I definitely am, and I got the impression he has more than one big reveal up his sleeve. Considering the recent focus on the Pantheon, it's likely (but not 100% guaranteed) to be something that involves their machinations.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
concept art, kevin eastman


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.