The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2017, 11:14 AM   #341
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: what is going on..........
Posts: 5,318
HarmonQuest is a whole new level of improv and I love it...
__________________
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:49 AM   #342
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Something I've thought for quite a while: Why do a number of CNN (and former CNN) people have names that sound like other things?

Poppy Harlow - Definitely the name of a porn star. (Actual birth name seems to be Katharine Harlow. )

Candy Crowley - an expensive decadent desert, probably of foreign origin. Though may also relate to a slightly easier form of "eating crow."

Wolf Blitzer - football tactic. (Probably by an athlete with surname Wolf.)

Reynolds Wolf - a wolf species studied in depth and named for a guy with the last name Reynolds.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
I think some of the tales of unicorns originate from goats born with mutations, giving them a single horn in the center of their head rather than two on either side. Don't have time to find the article just now though.
I'm sure that must have gone over real well with some people long ago.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:08 PM   #343
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor
 
ProphetofGanja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dub Side of the Moon
Posts: 3,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
HarmonQuest is a whole new level of improv and I love it...
YES. It's great. I need to catch up on season 2
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:33 PM   #344
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: what is going on..........
Posts: 5,318
Ah man...I get a little bit sad watching The Ringing of the Bell episode of Over the Garden Wall.

I named a kitten after a character in that episode (Lorna), but she was one of the ones that got adopted. I absolutely would have kept her if I could have.


I also just realized that Meerkat Manor would be a totally different show in the BoJack Horseman universe...and it would be glorious.
__________________

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 10-26-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:18 PM   #345
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor
 
ProphetofGanja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dub Side of the Moon
Posts: 3,491
This is all your fault, Papenbrook

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:


ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:54 PM   #346
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773

There were cave paintings of them if memory serves. Probably one of the original sources of the legend.


Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
But
https://i.imgur.com/JJeUSVR.png?1

What would be awesome would be is if ancient people had some kind of belief in its meat or other parts having some kind of power if used or consumed (certainly wouldn't be the only time that would happen), then managed to carry over into stories of magical horned beasts.

You probably are not far off the mark. Ancient shamanic practices included consuming or wearing parts of animals to gain their attributes. Both healers and warriors would wear or eat certain animals for courage, strength, toughness, agility, ect. Hearts, horns and claws especially had healing or empowering properties. A "unicorn" might well have arisen from supposed properties of the horns of one of those prehistoric creatures. (Relative of the rhino if I am not mistaken....)


Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
I think some of the tales of unicorns originate from goats born with mutations, giving them a single horn in the center of their head rather than two on either side. Don't have time to find the article just now though.

You are perhaps referring to a rare recessive trait or to goats BRED with horns that were slowly made to grow together and twist into a single horn. The practice was revived in the early 80's with the initial resulting animal being exhibited at the Ringling/Barnum&Bailey circus. His name was Lancelot. Several other "living unicorns" have been raised since then.
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #347
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: what is going on..........
Posts: 5,318
So, I play Gardenscapes on Facebook and it astounds me that there have been TWO extinct varieties of plants just laying around in the mansion as seeds. What in the world was my in-game great uncle doing with his time???
__________________
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:42 AM   #348
Vegita-San
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,089
so im watching the world series and they are playing everything from legend of zelda to star wars on the organ.

what song is this? sounds so familiar..

https://soundcloud.com/videoguy565/world-series
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:32 PM   #349
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: what is going on..........
Posts: 5,318
Pffff! Best. News title. Ever.
__________________
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:38 PM   #350
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
OMG!! Just read the article and apparently Mr D might have known the victim or his family- his parents were from Madisonburg and his grandparents still live there. He spent a year there after graduating high school to stay with his grandparents. He said the name was familiar. Small world. Weird!
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:49 PM   #351
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: what is going on..........
Posts: 5,318
Huh...small world indeed...
__________________
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:38 PM   #352
sdp
Detoxed Member
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 11,186
I know it's dumb but when I'm in the TMNT mood I like to eat pizza since it helps with the "mood" of the moment, right now I'm marathoning the Nick show and I enjoy eating Pizza while watching.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:10 PM   #353
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia
 
DestronMirage22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,723
Since when has the word “fire” become a word used to describe something that’s cool???
I hear the kids at work use that word like that all the time.
Examples: “Man, that’s fire”, “this wrap’s fire”, “this sh*t’s fire”.
It sounds so weird when they talk like that.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:09 AM   #354
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Fire? Well that's an odd one. Doesn't feel like one that will catch on long. Or maybe I'm just old. lol
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:40 AM   #355
Cure
Y'all need Jesus
 
Cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,938
Fire has been in use for a while; that's why people like using the fire emoji a lot. Jesus Christ, you people ARE old. Nothing ages someone quite like being critical of modern slang.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:59 AM   #356
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
Or maybe, y'know, it's not in WIDESPREAD use. A niche thing. I work and hang out around teens all the time, and have NEVER heard that used until just now. So either it is a "thing" only in a small region, or among certain "cliques". Have never heard it used here at all. So it must not be in wide usage.
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:56 AM   #357
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor
 
ProphetofGanja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dub Side of the Moon
Posts: 3,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Fire has been in use for a while; that's why people like using the fire emoji a lot. Jesus Christ, you people ARE old. Nothing ages someone quite like being critical of modern slang.
Yeah for real lol

It's definitely pretty widespread, at least in certain circles
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:04 PM   #358
TurtleWA
Foot Elite
 
TurtleWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: WA
Posts: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
Since when has the word “fire” become a word used to describe something that’s cool???
I hear the kids at work use that word like that all the time.
Examples: “Man, that’s fire”, “this wrap’s fire”, “this sh*t’s fire”.
It sounds so weird when they talk like that.
The first thing I think about is NBAJam video game back in the day. I think it said “fire.” Also reminds me of Paris Hilton saying everything is “hot.” I’m very disappointed in myself for knowing that second one.
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:43 PM   #359
Glitter Wand
Thug
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 70
You know, nowadays, people don't have to work that hard to become billionaires. All you have to do is create a silly video or internet meme that instantly becomes a cultural icon, and there you go. This wouldn't be possible fifty years ago.
__________________

"You need a recon flyby? I'm the birdman for the job! Pigeon Pete's ago!" - Pete
Glitter Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:51 PM   #360
FredWolfLeonardo
This ***** used to be Fun
 
FredWolfLeonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Aotearoa New Zealand
Posts: 5,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitter Wand View Post
You know, nowadays, people don't have to work that hard to become billionaires. All you have to do is create a silly video or internet meme that instantly becomes a cultural icon, and there you go. This wouldn't be possible fifty years ago.
I'm not rich myself but I'm pretty sure its much harder than one video.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.