Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 10-17-2018, 03:09 PM   #1
Shargor
Thug

January 2019 Solicitations

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #90

Spoiler:

Tom Waltz (W), Kevin Eastman (W/VC), Michael Dialynas (A/C), Nelson Daniel (VC)

The Turtles and their allies take stock in the wake of a tragedy. Little do they know the greatest conflict is about to come!

• Repercussions strain relationships and a looming threat makes itself known!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder in Hell #1

Spoiler:

Mateus Santolouco (W/A/C), Kevin Eastman (VC), Rafael Albuquerque (VC)

Abandon all hope… The Shredder returns in this brand-new mini-series! Oroku Saki’s death is just the beginning, and his journey through the depths of the underworld proves to be anything but a divine comedy. How much of Shredder’s soul will remain after he’s faced the horrors of hell?

• Fan-favorite artist Mateus Santolouco returns to the world of TMNT as both writer and artist!
• The most infamous villain in the TMNT universe gets his own mini-series.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: IDW 20/20

Spoiler:

Paul Allor (W), Dave Wachter (A/C), Gabriel Rodriguez (VC)

IDW 20/20 kicks off IDW’s year-long 20th anniversary celebration! An all-new weekly event giving a glimpse of your favorite characters 20 years into the future—or past! What made them into the heroes you love… and what twists does the future hold…?

Meet the Turtles of tomorrow in this adventure set 20 years in the future! The Utrom Civil War rages across Earth. When news of a backup Technodrome threatens hundreds of millions of innocent lives, it’s up to the Turtles to do what they do best—save the world.

• Celebrate 20 years of IDW with your favorite Turtles!
• The Turtles are all grown up in this one-shot set 20 years in the future.

Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #5

Spoiler:

Matthew K. Manning (W), Chad Thomas (A/VC), Andy Suriano (C)

Welcome to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Reunion! With featured guests Raph, Donnie, Leo, Mikey, April, and... a whole host of angry villains?! Watch as Warren Stone’s quest to reclaim his glory puts the Turtles in a spotlight they don’t want to be in!

• Overseen by show-runners Andy Suriano (Cosmic Scoundrels) and Ant Ward!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Urban Legends #9

Spoiler:

Gary Carlson (W), Frank Fosco (A/C/VC), Erik Larsen (VC), Kevin Eastman (VC)

When a plague of giant bats leads Leo to Midway City in search of Master Splinter, he finds help from a most unlikely source… the local vigilante known as the Knight Watchman! But will they be able to cure Splinter before it’s too late?!

• The entire TMNT Volume 3 run-all 23 issues-reprinted in full color for the first time!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Bebop & Rocksteady Hit the Road

Spoiler:

Dustin Weaver, Ben Bates (W/A), Cory Smith (C)

Everyone’s favorite mutant warthog and rhino are on a road trip back to NYC, but can they make it before they become completely human again? As their journey across America begins, Bebop and Rocksteady run into a crazy old enemy that’s bent on derailing their trip before it can even start. Plus, the duo is forced to do the unimaginable: get real jobs! Throw in appearances by time-traveling menace Savanti Romero, the Army, and ultimately a brand-new unbeatable foe that stands in their way, and you’ve got all the action you’d expect from a trip with these two!

• Advance solicited for February release!
Shargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:11 PM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Gonna be a good month.

That #90 description is cryptic as all hell.

And speaking of hell... can't WAIT for Shredder in Hell!

And the 20/20 thing will be interesting... probably non-canon, though.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:17 PM   #3
ChosenOne
Banned

What a way to kick off 2019! #90 being a breather issue before City at War doesn't surprise me in the least, considering the current trade format of five issues apiece. I suppose someone doesn't leave Burnow alive, then? Or maybe it's the island itself that doesn't survive the conflict? Hmm...
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:28 PM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
What a way to kick off 2019! #90 being a breather issue before City at War doesn't surprise me in the least, considering the current trade format of five issues apiece. I suppose someone doesn't leave Burnow alive, then? Or maybe it's the island itself that doesn't survive the conflict? Hmm...
Slash. Ol' boy can't catch a break.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #5
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Slash. Ol' boy can't catch a break.
Well, he's already lived a lot longer than I would've imagined... Never thought he'd make it past Desperate Measures.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:10 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

The last 10 issues till #100, and the Shredder in Hell mini makes it obvious he'll make his grand return to life by issue 100. I just wonder if he'll come back to life with dragon god powers or not as part of the Patheon. An immortal Shredder with powers would be even harder to stop. Will Kitsune get her wish?

City at War is obviously where Karai will finally make her return so Splinter/The Foot will have to go up against them and likely more Bishop/EPF monitoring how everything goes down. I guess we should also see the aftermath of what happens with Ch'rell and the Utroms/Triceratons, it would be odd to leave that plot hanging too long.

Besides that I wonder if Null will still be put on the backburner till post issue 100, would probably make sense given what's going on. Probably involving making a deal with Maligna to come to Earth, if they loosely adapt the Archie story.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:18 PM   #7
hypered1
Mad Scientist

So does this mean that Shredder in Hell is being spread over five months? I kinda prefer that as it builds better momentum towards #100.
hypered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:20 PM   #8
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
So does this mean that Shredder in Hell is being spread over five months? I kinda prefer that as it builds better momentum towards #100.
Yep, January through May! Which conveniently leaves just enough time before #100 for another mini. Hmm...
Old 10-17-2018, 05:30 PM   #9
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Yep, January through May! Which conveniently leaves just enough time before #100 for another mini. Hmm...
I wouldn't have thought so - it would be too much of a distraction from the "main event". On the other hand - Free Comic Book Day special anyone?
hypered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:34 PM   #10
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypered1 View Post
I wouldn't have thought so - it would be too much of a distraction from the "main event". On the other hand - Free Comic Book Day special anyone?
It wasn't a distraction during City Fall... And the Mutanimals mini was released alongside Vengeance, IIRC. I can only imagine there will be loads more of story to tell than the ongoing can fit, especially now that Universe is gone.

But yeah, a FCBD issue should be a given. "Prelude to City at War" to fit in with the others, probably.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:37 PM   #11
CyberCubed
Overlord

There will probably also be another 5 week issues during July or August like the last 2 years. Hopefully it covers an important plot.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:47 PM   #12
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
There will probably also be another 5 week issues during July or August like the last 2 years. Hopefully it covers an important plot.
Yep. If that happens again this year, and there's no reason it shouldn't, my money's on June like the first B&R mini.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:16 PM   #13
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Gonna be a good month.

That #90 description is cryptic as all hell.

And speaking of hell... can't WAIT for Shredder in Hell!

And the 20/20 thing will be interesting... probably non-canon, though.
Translation :Slash dies! Only other thing is Chr'ell takes over Burnow Island after killing peaceful Ma'rell which subjigates everyone.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:21 PM   #14
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Translation :Slash dies! Only other thing is Chr'ell takes over Burnow Island after killing peaceful Ma'rell which subjigates everyone.
Oh, that last bit would be delicious! Why am I picturing Ch'rell sitting on some sort of throne, telling the Turtles to leave and never come back under penalty of death, and then finishing with his version of "Don't ask me about my business"? Hey, where did all these shivers down my spine come from?
Old 10-17-2018, 07:31 PM   #15
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Unless Sally Pride puts aside her pride and brings Lady Null into the Burnow Island pushback this ends with Chr'ell taking the island. Since #90 speaks of tragedy what key minor character's death could change the story going forward? Perhaps hers would be bigger than Slash's as she is the lenchpin holding two alien species together.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:54 PM   #16
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Unless Sally Pride puts aside her pride and brings Lady Null into the Burnow Island pushback this ends with Chr'ell taking the island. Since #90 speaks of tragedy what key minor character's death could change the story going forward? Perhaps hers would be bigger than Slash's as she is the lenchpin holding two alien species together.
Maybe both Zom and Ma'riell die, and Ch'rell takes over completely unopposed. He could even garner Triceraton support to his side, after all, they seemed to follow him gladly into battle in #88.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:42 PM   #17
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Eh, I'm betting on Slash.

Don is the only one of the whole group that would personally care about Ma'riell getting killed. He's the only one who's developed a relationship with her, and he's also the one who's put the most effort into Burnow Island's stability. Also, with Ma'riell gone, Ch'rell would take over unopposed and have no one to truly challenge him - thus the apparent "Civil War" probably wouldn't happen. Sure, Ch'rell is angry at Ma'riell, but I don't think he's angry enough to kill her.
Don be the only one emotionally affected. His brothers would be more concerned with keeping Ch'rell under control and the Mutanimals just wouldn't care; they don't know who the weird alien lady is or why her brother is such a big deal. The turtles alliances would never fall apart over someone only one of them had some degree of closeness with. April might care a little more, if only because Ch'rell drama has potential to get in the way of whatever her plans with Stockman are.

Slash, however, is the only one that everyone has some sort of emotional investment in. The turtles have known him longer than the Mutanimals have, were the first ones to make breaks in getting him settled, was their first big test in making decisions in morality, is family to the Mutanimals; the emotions of that are combined with the situation where he left them because of disagreements with Hob. Speaking of Hob, he's the one who first took Slash under his wing; Slash was his first real friend and basically was his second-in-command until Ray came on the scene. The Mutanimals have a lot to lose emotionally over Slash's death and that will absolutely ripple down to the turtles. Probably originating from Michelangelo. April and Lindsey were there from the very start when he was just a tiny suffering lab animal. Mike was closer to Slash than any of his brothers were.

Another thing to consider is that the Slash storyline began close enough to the beginning of this first big story arch. So I see sense in closing it nearing the end.

Besides, Slash has basically been doomed for a very long time. Maybe from the beginning.

The emotions of Slash's death would spread like a virus to those who knew him. Ma'riell's death would be more of a "Stop crying Don, let's figure out stopping Ch'rell" situation. While the Mutanimals just roll their eyes and participate.

And finally, there's Tom Waltz's own cryptic comment about #88 being a big deal. Being an even distance from #44. and Slash being the only character on the cover, blood soaked and tormented. That boy ain't gonna be tormented anymore.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 10-17-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:47 PM   #18
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Besides, Slash has basically been doomed for a very long time. Maybe from the beginning.
The sad truth. He really is a tragic character through and through.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:19 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

Seeing Slash die after being brainwashed for months and not have his real character since way back whenever he first got captured is kinda sad however. The "real" Slash hasn't even been in the series for a long time.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:30 PM   #20
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Oh, it's devastating. And perfect for having an implosion within the Mutanimals themselves.

Hob blaming himself for Slash running away and becoming inconsolable, Seymour going into "it should have been me!" mode, Sally, Lindsey, and Ray trying to keep things under control without dealing with their own grief, Herman literally going into his shell to escape it all, Pete shutting down over all the stress, Mondo turning into a teenage Antifa again (...please don't) as his own way to process...and then dumping that all on Mike, who brings it over to the turtles and April. And then it spreads further from there. Eventually it might just boil down to the turtles dragging that dirty laundry to their individual friends who didn't get involved with Slash, but end up being dragged into it. Raphael to April and Angel. Mike to Casey and Jennika (apparently he's friends with them now?). Leo would probably just be processing alone in Northhampton and then have to fight Karai and her mutants on top of that. Don would just have Harold and Libby; maybe he'd have Ma'riell if he remains in communication. Ma'riell, who would already have her arms full with her own emotional disasters.

It would be a great big mess, and Slash dying without ever really being "himself" again would be a capstone in all of it.

Seems fitting that the last thing he did before losing himself was read a fricken' John Steinbeck novel. Which have a reputation for ending in utter misery.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 10-17-2018 at 09:52 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote