The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 07-21-2020, 06:12 AM   #41
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
If you watch 6 episodes per day (roughly 2 hours), you'll be done in about a month. It's not really that daunting
In Theory.

I personally don't think I could commit to that, frankly, although it sounds reasonable on paper. For one, I don't think I could manage six episodes per day of FW TMNT after the second or third Season, I just don't think I could stomach it, it would be a chore at multiple various points. For two, I have too many other hobbies demanding my attention, so even the idea of "I'm gonna watch TMNT every day for 2-3 hours for the next few weeks" sounds like a bad marriage with no upside.

I can easily clear an entire week to do the entire run of "Twin Peaks" and then bang the whole series out in like four days in 6-10 hour chunks, despite that being emotionally exhausting. But still... that's GOOD television. Kinda easier to get up for that exercise.

Which reminds me... we're on Month 4 of "lockdown" and I haven't done another "Twin Peaks" run since before it started. WHAT THE F*CK HAVE I BEEN DOING WITH MY LIFE IF NOT THAT?!?! Now I'm annoyed.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:11 AM   #42
mikey0
Foot Elite

The best episodes of the FW cartoon to watch are the ones with new characters and machines that were made into toys. My cousin always thought the FW cartoon works best as a 30 toy commercial. He did not like the silliest episodes that weren?t toy commercials.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:40 AM   #43
Leo656
The Franchise

Because THAT'S the way people pushing 40 wanna be entertained.

Meh. Rather watch Laura Palmer get murdered again.

........Or maybe she DIDN'T? I'unno, the ending of "The Return" series was confusing. Either way... this is some damn fine coffee.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:11 PM   #44
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
The best episodes of the FW cartoon to watch are the ones with new characters and machines that were made into toys. My cousin always thought the FW cartoon works best as a 30 toy commercial. He did not like the silliest episodes that weren?t toy commercials.
The entirety of the 80s in general felt like a decade-long commercial as far as kids shows went.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:12 PM   #45
Leo656
The Franchise

Great to have ya back!

Old 07-21-2020, 12:20 PM   #46
Sumac
Banned

I marathoned FW TMNT in 2010 - one episode per day. Took me from January up to October, i think.

And then I marathoned 2k3 series and the movies.

Damn, it was almost like yesterday.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:45 PM   #47
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
In Theory.

I personally don't think I could commit to that, frankly, although it sounds reasonable on paper. For one, I don't think I could manage six episodes per day of FW TMNT after the second or third Season, I just don't think I could stomach it, it would be a chore at multiple various points. For two, I have too many other hobbies demanding my attention, so even the idea of "I'm gonna watch TMNT every day for 2-3 hours for the next few weeks" sounds like a bad marriage with no upside.

I can easily clear an entire week to do the entire run of "Twin Peaks" and then bang the whole series out in like four days in 6-10 hour chunks, despite that being emotionally exhausting. But still... that's GOOD television. Kinda easier to get up for that exercise.

Which reminds me... we're on Month 4 of "lockdown" and I haven't done another "Twin Peaks" run since before it started. WHAT THE F*CK HAVE I BEEN DOING WITH MY LIFE IF NOT THAT?!?! Now I'm annoyed.
Which is kind of my point. If a show really is worthwhile, why skip out on more than a third of it? It's not like the Simpsons where you have this show that completely ranout of creative steam after 200+ episodes and then slowly turned into an unwatchable mess. We're talking about a show here that did not quite last 200 episodes, numerous flaws have been pointed out over the years and the fan recommendation is to skip out the middle 74 episodes?

Plus the fact that if you're really not feeling a show, you can just drop it. Right now I'm trying to watch all of the Battlestar Galactica reboot (halfway through season 2) but I'm taking a break because I don't really feel it and might drop it entirely, which is OK.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:49 PM   #48
Leo656
The Franchise

Eh, I'unno, lots of good shows had a rough patch. The last couple seasons of Real Ghostbusers after Slimer became the focus were pretty dreadful, but its overall batting average still puts it among the best cartoon shows ever.

Just because you can have a large chunk of episodes that are no good doesn't mean the entire show isn't any good.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:52 PM   #49
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
The entirety of the 80s in general felt like a decade-long commercial as far as kids shows went.
True. Some of the 90s, also.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:11 PM   #50
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Eh, I'unno, lots of good shows had a rough patch. The last couple seasons of Real Ghostbusers after Slimer became the focus were pretty dreadful, but its overall batting average still puts it among the best cartoon shows ever.

Just because you can have a large chunk of episodes that are no good doesn't mean the entire show isn't any good.
Sure, that's true. The example I brought up, The Simpsons, started of with about 200 good episodes and the almost 500 (...wow...) that came after tend to suck really hard.

But the bigger the chunk of terrible episodes are in proportion to the series as a whole, it does drag the series whole down ever lower. In fact, it feels kind of weird saying "The Simpsons is one of the greatest cartoons of all time" if I don't also add "But only the first nine seasons", because by now about 70% of the show sucks ass.
Hahahaha!
Old 07-21-2020, 01:14 PM   #51
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, but at least Marge smokes pot now.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:39 PM   #52
CyberCubed
Overlord

I've seen the entire original cartoon in full 10-15 times, but probably more than that since when I was a kid I'd always watch it on TV whenever it aired. But since the DVDs probably 10-15 times.

The original TMNT cartoon is a show similar to Simpsons/Spongebob/Pokemon,etc. where it could have theoretically run forever. The original TMNT cartoon could have gone on for 500+ episodes or even 1000+ episodes and it would be fine.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:50 PM   #53
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
If you watch 6 episodes per day (roughly 2 hours), you'll be done in about a month. It's not really that daunting
Depends, If anyone does have the time, I would definetly encourage them to watch the entire FW series, since there are many good episodes in seasons 4 and 5 despite them being the show's lowest points imo.

That being said, I certainly couldn't manage watching 6 episodes per day now as there simply isn't enough time after other commitments and other hobbies which are higher on my priority list.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:48 PM   #54
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post

That being said, I certainly couldn't manage watching 6 episodes per day now as there simply isn't enough time after other commitments and other hobbies which are higher on my priority list.
What do you do other than watch TV?
Old 07-21-2020, 03:56 PM   #55
Leo656
The Franchise

More reasonable would be, "Why does anyone even bother watching TV when there's a million better things to do?"

Age and perspective sure can change a person. When I was a kid I would literally fight for my right to watch as much TV as I wanted; right now, my wife's not even home and I could watch anything I want, I just seriously can't be bothered. It's boring. It's the single least-productive thing a person can do besides Nothing.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:29 PM   #56
MrAustin
Random Punk

Quote:
In Theory.

Watching roughly six episodes a day was how I was able to marathon the show so quickly; it definitely melted my brain and I would never recommend that to anyone.

I also haven't re-watched Twin Peaks during 'lockdown' and I don't know how.
MrAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:42 PM   #57
Leo656
The Franchise

I think for about or less than $50 you can get all of Twin Peaks on Blu-ray. Both the Original Series (plus "Fire Walk With Me" and "The Missing Pieces"), as well as "The Return" season, are usually around $30 each for either set.

See, THAT show, I have to watch at least 6 episodes at a time. Sometimes more if we start early in the day. Can't take breaks or you forget the little details that turn out to be huge later on! Plus it's just so much fun.

You know you're on a roll with something when your wife says to you, "Put on one more; we can stay up until 5am, it's not like we have to get up early."

But again... that's a GOOD TV show.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:52 PM   #58
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
More reasonable would be, "Why does anyone even bother watching TV when there's a million better things to do?"

Age and perspective sure can change a person. When I was a kid I would literally fight for my right to watch as much TV as I wanted; right now, my wife's not even home and I could watch anything I want, I just seriously can't be bothered. It's boring. It's the single least-productive thing a person can do besides Nothing.
There's also the fact that literal TV sucks compared to almost any other way you can get programming.

No ad block, no pausing, it literally runs on a schedule, there are very few niches, bonus content is rare and if you to keep personal copies at... ahem, "a very cheap cost", you'll have to painstakingly record it.
Hahahaha!
Old 07-21-2020, 10:39 PM   #59
CyberCubed
Overlord

I haven't watched live TV in about a decade, maybe even more. Everything I watched is streamed or on blu-rays. I can't imagine sitting through commercials anymore.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:44 AM   #60
Leo656
The Franchise

I'd just rather Do Something than Watch Something at this point, unless it's something REALLY good.

At this point in my life, the TV's always on because my wife pays attention to it, but I'm usually reading or doing crafts or if she's not watching anything I'll play a video game. I generally can't just sit still watching stuff on a screen unless it's something either really good or at least semi-informative; like if I'm bored I'll binge a few videos about wrestling history or video game history, but even then I might be more listening while I read or do something else, it depends.

If I'm going to "really" watch something then I kill all other distractions, but at some point, I'm guaranteed to have the thought "I could literally be doing anything else right now except just sitting here". Unavoidable at this point.

Some people are gonna realize right before they die that when they weren't sleeping or at work, they spent 95% of their life staring at a damn screen, and the last thing they ever think is gonna be "Man, what a giant waste of time THAT was" and wish they could do it over. Life shouldn't be about watching other people pretend to do things.

Its not that I hate TV or anything, it's just that as entertainment goes it's entirely too passive.