The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 09-25-2021, 04:32 PM   #841
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

With the casting for the Super Mario Animated movie that happened this week, I hope the casting for the TMNT CGI movie is just as insane.
Old 09-25-2021, 04:34 PM   #842
AquaParade
Banned

One of them will be an up and coming musician, dipping into the acting world. Random speculation. Say, MGK as Raphael. I’ll give you stupid.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 06:09 PM   #843
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
With the casting for the Super Mario Animated movie that happened this week, I hope the casting for the TMNT CGI movie is just as insane.
Is it really insane though?

Granted my head canon will always be that Mario is a scrappy Italian-American from Brooklyn. I've gotten used to the stereotypically Italian version but I've never been married to it so I'm more open than most to change in this regard but did people really think we were going to get a Charles Martinet inspired Mario in a full length movie? Chris Pratt would not be my ideal choice but I'm glad we're not getting over an hour or "woo hoos" and "mamma mia".

As for TMNT I'm sure they will try celebrity stunt castings as well as trying to work out which TMNT characters could be this franchises answer to the Minions and just how much should Donatello act like Sheldon Cooper.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 06:26 PM   #844
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Is it really insane though?

Granted my head canon will always be that Mario is a scrappy Italian-American from Brooklyn. I've gotten used to the stereotypically Italian version but I've never been married to it so I'm more open than most to change in this regard but did people really think we were going to get a Charles Martinet inspired Mario in a full length movie? Chris Pratt would not be my ideal choice but I'm glad we're not getting over an hour or "woo hoos" and "mamma mia".

As for TMNT I'm sure they will try celebrity stunt castings as well as trying to work out which TMNT characters could be this franchises answer to the Minions and just how much should Donatello act like Sheldon Cooper.
I love the casting though, Since they are heading to a more comedic direction, So hopefully they get a good voice cast for this movie too.

There will obviously be some big names for this one, and I'm sure Seth Rogen will voice a character on it.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:53 PM   #845
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Nightwalker View Post
I agree with this. All of this. We've seen what happens when they go for comedy. It's not funny.
It can work if done right, but there needs to be a balance between light-hearted and serious. Having Michelangelo constantly crack jokes in the 2003 series got old fast, as did him being a complete space-cadet in the 2012 series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I think going forward, each new iteration will have its own brand new origin to go with it.
Well I hate to say it, but pretty much every adaptation since 1987 has pretty much done this already. It's all about trying to come up with a compelling variation of the story, while paying respect to what came before.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:06 PM   #846
Leo656
The Franchise

No, I don't mean small, incremental changes such as leaving Oroku Nagi out of it, or tweaking April's career. I mean they're gonna start going completely off the reservation and doing whatever they think is cute at any given moment. Because "Why Not".

We'll definitely be getting a version where they were aliens and not mutants (or maybe they'll be "Alien Mutants" but still extra-terrestrial). And another where they were human kids who turned into turtles and not turtles who became humanoid. And so on and so forth. Put money on it.

We've had a couple of failed reboots in a row; this is the point where the brand managers decide "The 'traditional' way of doing things with this property no longer works; therefore, we have to start changing anything and everything until we find something that sticks."

TMNT "traditionalists" and "purists", all may as well abandon ship. In the very near future, the only TMNT properties which will exist in the present-day sense will bear little to no resemblance to the TMNT you/I/we grew up with. Although they'll all probably resemble FW with regard to very obvious and one-dimensional "humor" that ages poorly, because for some reason that was the only thing anyone ever took away from this franchise; the bad jokes. THAT stuck as being "the bedrock" of the brand, everything else is up for grabs, go figure.

"Rise" failed specifically because they already took way too many liberties and changed way too much, to the point where MOST fans of TMNT said "Nah, this isn't TMNT, or at least not the type I want to see", but if nothing else you can always expect the people who work on these types of projects to take the exact wrong message from a show or movie's failure. In their eyes, they most likely think it failed because they didn't change ENOUGH, and that it was TOO similar to what we previously had (despite already being pretty much "TMNT In Name Only" already).

So if the only thing a person cares about is, "It's called TMNT and therefore the brand continues on", future projects will likely still hold something for them. Some people legit do not care what the product is, so long as it says "TMNT" on the label. I don't personally understand that, because I liked very specific things about the characters and the brand and all of those things are now gone, ergo so am I. BUT, some people only care that there are indeed turtles who occasionally do ninja-like things a little bit, and everything else can be altered at will.

But regardless, that's the way the wind is blowing. "Total reinvention". Wait and see.

As to whether those reinvented versions will "Pay respect to what has come before"... by definition, the very idea of "total reinvention" cancels out that possibility. A reinvention suggests, or sometimes even outright states, "My New Ideas are way better than your crappy Old Ideas." Whether true or not, that smacks of disrespect. A reinvention cannot by definition pay respect to what came before because it assumes - rightly or wrongly - that it's doing something Right that the previous one did Wrong.

Which is incredibly presumptuous, and usually turns out to be wrong in the long run. Which is why most "reinventions" ultimately fail.

The only time a "total reinvention" actually works out, is when the thing being reinvented is something that started out so bad that anything would be a major improvement. A case in point would be the original MLP compared to "Friendship is Magic"; FiM might not have been AS big of a deal if the original version (and all the ones after it) weren't total crap.

When your source material is already really good or really popular, though, more often than not your "reinvention" fails. In TMNT's case, whether your bag is Mirage or whether it's FW, either of those things would be hard to top. And they won't be. New versions will be very different, but not "better".

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 09-25-2021 at 10:28 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:23 PM   #847
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
As to whether those reinvented versions will "Pay respect to what has come before"... by definition, the very idea of "total reinvention" cancels out that possibility. A reinvention suggests, or sometimes even outright states, "My New Ideas are way better than your crappy Old Ideas." Whether true or not, that smacks of disrespect. A reinvention cannot by definition pay respect to what came before because it assumes - rightly or wrongly - that it's doing something Right that the previous one did Wrong.
To me there is no right or wrong way to depict any fictional character, because everybody has there own view on them. Take Peter Pan for example, Remember the 90's cartoon that aired on Fox? It was way different than the Disney movie for obvious reasons and there have been other animated adaptations since with varying degrees of staying close to the original novel. As far as I know, the only time people were in an uproar over a remake was when they white-washed Tiger Lily.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:44 PM   #848
Leo656
The Franchise

Nobody's ever paid any attention to non-Disney Peter Pan material besides "Hook", is why. And frankly, nobody ever will. That property is very rapidly becoming the champion of "Most Reboots and Reinventions That Not One Person on Planet Earth Ever Asked For, Watched, Remembered, Or Cared About At All." A great example of companies having the "It made a lot of money Exactly One Time, so surely we can squeeze a little more milk from the tit! We have Modern Technology now! So surely, our version of this property will be better, and make even MORE money!" And then they do it for the 80th time and for the 80th time nobody cares. Go figure.

There are definitely Right and Wrong ways to interpret and present ANY fictional franchise or character, but it's not a One Size Fits All thing and there's a certain intangible in knowing what's Right and what's Wrong. It takes a certain kind of intuition to where you just plain know it when you see it; "Oh, yeah, THAT is dead wrong." And they're things that shouldn't need to even be explained as to WHY they are bad, but rather, it should just be implicitly understood.

I mean, if you need it EXPLAINED to you why Electric-Powers Superman With Blue Ice Skating Suit in the late-90s was awful and never even should've been pitched let alone attempted, you shouldn't be handling Superman. If you need it EXPLAINED to you why Every Single Thing about "The Last Jedi" was godawful, you shouldn't be handling Star Wars. And likewise, if you need it EXPLAINED to you why Shredder being a white guy named Eric Sacks is terrible, or why the Turtles being aliens is terrible, or why them being human kids who turn into mutant turtles is terrible... you shouldn't be handling TMNT, period.

There are definitely, positively, absolutely Rights and Wrongs. For ANY thing. "It's all fake anyway" doesn't wash. But it's not something one can teach and it differs from brand to brand, so it becomes very complicated. The fact that the exact wrong people get brought in to make the Big Decisions on this kind of stuff definitely doesn't help things one bit.

Like, you CAN reinvent the Frankenstein mythos so that he ends up working for some Top Secret government program and then he gets sent to Jupiter to fight space monsters. Or something. You CAN do that. But you shouldn't. Not every single dumb idea anyone ever farted out of their brain hole deserves a budget and a release date just because they had the idea.

Or, as Carlin once so eloquently said (while speaking to an altogether different topic), "Not every ejaculation needs a name."

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:59 PM   #849
Diorm
Hench Mutant

The title of the movie might be: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- The Next Chapter. For 2023.

Last edited by Diorm; 10-14-2021 at 08:46 PM.
Diorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 07:15 PM   #850
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorm View Post
FroThe title of the movie might be: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- The Next Chapter. For 2023.
Looks like VarnerStudios will have involvement, likely in the toy sculpting.

Posted on their Instagram story this evening:

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 07:25 PM   #851
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Looks like VarnerStudios will have involvement, likely in the toy sculpting.

Posted on their Instagram story this evening:
http://i.imgur.com/fAeKJRZl.jpg
The title was reviewed on an article from Variety that was posted today.
https://variety.com/lists/varietys-1...ristobal-leon/

Here's what it says about it.
Quote:
“Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Next Chapter”

Growing up watching “Star Trek” fostered a love of sci-fi in Dallas native Kassai. But although he was a fan, it wasn’t until his sophomore year in college that he realized he could have a career in animation.

He moved to Los Angeles nine years ago to pursue his dream. “I couldn’t be one of those people without a job. I was too afraid,” he says. “So I locked that in from a distance first and then came here with some sense of security in mind at least.”

After a stint at Sony, where he worked on “The Emoji Movie,” among others, Kassai segued to Nickelodeon, where is now production designer on “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Next Chapter.” The film is scheduled to come out in 2023.

“I have loved that franchise since I was a kid,” he says, confessing that Raphael is his fave. “I have bedsheets and lunch boxes and T-shirts and socks. But now I am trying to re-create a unique interpretation that is not too distant from the original franchise that we all know and are familiar with, and also make it fresh.”

To make it new while not jettisoning what made “Ninja Turtles” so beloved, Kassai says, “you anchor yourself enough in the familiar elements of it so that it is easily recognizable but then you either add or enhance some of the existing charm of
the franchise.”

With modern animation tools and 3D, he feels a responsibility to make something cool for the new movie similar to “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” and “The Mitchells vs. the Machines.”

“The franchise deserves that, I think.” — Shalini Dore
Seems like it will borrow from the original series since he's a production designer for it.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:34 PM   #852
italianice388
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Nobody's ever paid any attention to non-Disney Peter Pan material besides "Hook", is why. And frankly, nobody ever will. That property is very rapidly becoming the champion of "Most Reboots and Reinventions That Not One Person on Planet Earth Ever Asked For, Watched, Remembered, Or Cared About At All." A great example of companies having the "It made a lot of money Exactly One Time, so surely we can squeeze a little more milk from the tit! We have Modern Technology now! So surely, our version of this property will be better, and make even MORE money!" And then they do it for the 80th time and for the 80th time nobody cares. Go figure.

There are definitely Right and Wrong ways to interpret and present ANY fictional franchise or character, but it's not a One Size Fits All thing and there's a certain intangible in knowing what's Right and what's Wrong. It takes a certain kind of intuition to where you just plain know it when you see it; "Oh, yeah, THAT is dead wrong." And they're things that shouldn't need to even be explained as to WHY they are bad, but rather, it should just be implicitly understood.

I mean, if you need it EXPLAINED to you why Electric-Powers Superman With Blue Ice Skating Suit in the late-90s was awful and never even should've been pitched let alone attempted, you shouldn't be handling Superman. If you need it EXPLAINED to you why Every Single Thing about "The Last Jedi" was godawful, you shouldn't be handling Star Wars. And likewise, if you need it EXPLAINED to you why Shredder being a white guy named Eric Sacks is terrible, or why the Turtles being aliens is terrible, or why them being human kids who turn into mutant turtles is terrible... you shouldn't be handling TMNT, period.

There are definitely, positively, absolutely Rights and Wrongs. For ANY thing. "It's all fake anyway" doesn't wash. But it's not something one can teach and it differs from brand to brand, so it becomes very complicated. The fact that the exact wrong people get brought in to make the Big Decisions on this kind of stuff definitely doesn't help things one bit.

Like, you CAN reinvent the Frankenstein mythos so that he ends up working for some Top Secret government program and then he gets sent to Jupiter to fight space monsters. Or something. You CAN do that. But you shouldn't. Not every single dumb idea anyone ever farted out of their brain hole deserves a budget and a release date just because they had the idea.

Or, as Carlin once so eloquently said (while speaking to an altogether different topic), "Not every ejaculation needs a name."
Agreed about all of this. "It's just fiction, relax" is ********. Look at Mickey Mouse, the strongest brand in American media, and tell me just how much he's changed over time. Let me answer that. 0%.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:25 PM   #853
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
Look at Mickey Mouse, the strongest brand in American media, and tell me just how much he's changed over time. Let me answer that. 0%.
I beg to differ!
https://retroist.com/mickey-mouse-suicide/

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 03:30 AM   #854
frank_one
Mad Scientist

"Next chapter" can only mean this is a sequel to the original series.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 03:51 AM   #855
Wildcat
Foot Elite

The logo is nice. Font looks like ooze if that means anything. Next Chapter implies a different period of their life. Maybe it’s not the usual Turtles vs Shredder story. Although neither was the 2007 movie.

I know it’s very early but it does not sound dumbed-down or just for laughs. It’s not going to be the “Adult” version some want but will probably be a legitimate cartoon everyone can enjoy.

Edit: I thought about it being a continuation of the FW cartoon right before I posted. It definitely sounds like the “first chapter” has already happened. If it was it’s own thing how can it be Next?

It’s just speculation for now but you don’t really name a completely new movie Next Chapter.

Last edited by Wildcat; 10-15-2021 at 04:04 AM.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:22 AM   #856
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
You'd think, but they could also just be out of names to use. I could see this being more of a meta-title, such as "Homecoming" was for Spider-Man. Sure, there was a "homecoming dance" in Spider-Man: Homecoming, but the more significant aspect was that Spider-Man was back with Marvel.

Could be a similar case here.
Old 10-15-2021, 06:32 AM   #857
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I know it’s very early but it does not sound dumbed-down or just for laughs. It’s not going to be the “Adult” version some want but will probably be a legitimate cartoon everyone can enjoy.
Neither was Next Mutation, but...
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:25 AM   #858
Vicky82
Emperor

So this was for this movie then.

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...hlight=chapter

I wonder if this movie could be the start of a new series.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:26 AM   #859
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
One of them will be an up and coming musician, dipping into the acting world. Random speculation. Say, MGK as Raphael. I’ll give you stupid.
MGK is up and coming? He's been up and coming for like 12 years now. If he hasn't made it yet he isn't going to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
That's definitely the implication. They might keep things a little nebulous, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it turns out this is a "some years later" take on the Fred Wolf series.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:28 AM   #860
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
MGK is up and coming? He's been up and coming for like 12 years now. If he hasn't made it yet he isn't going to.
Fair point.
It feels like he is still being pushed really hard though. Maybe I'm out of touch with a scene I want nothing to do with anyways.

With my expectations out the window, I am sort of interested to see more from this, I have to admit. Again, I know it won't be how I would want the turtles handled, by any means, but that doesn't mean there won't be something there I can enjoy.