The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2021, 04:21 PM   #1681
IMJ
Emperor
 
IMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Midwest, U.S.A.
Posts: 8,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Yeah. I'm ashamed to say I ever doubted Affleck. To say "he won me over" would be an understatement.
This is me exactly as well. The voice, the BvS warehouse scene, the JL rooftop scene and a few other moments sold me for life.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 04:22 PM   #1682
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,415
Also, apparently the only live action Batman never to actually get his own movie?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 04:36 PM   #1683
IMJ
Emperor
 
IMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Midwest, U.S.A.
Posts: 8,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Also, apparently the only live action Batman never to actually get his own movie?
Imagine an Affleck Batman movie the caliber of "Winter Soldier" full of intrigue, Detective Work but also with action scenes that are akin to the Battleship run, Headquarters Escape, Warehouse Scene and Batmobile chases.....

On that note, I can't help but think that even if I'm positively surprised by this Pattinson flick, that it's just going to be a lackluster film when compared against what I want to see on screen given what Snyder did.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 05:07 PM   #1684
sdp
Detoxed Member
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 11,186
I can't believe we're getting 2 batman movies next year.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 05:38 PM   #1685
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I can't believe we're getting 2 batman movies next year.
No we're not. That'd be like saying "We're getting two Aquaman movies next year!" if Aquaman makes an appearance in Black Adam.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 09:02 PM   #1686
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
On that note, I can't help but think that even if I'm positively surprised by this Pattinson flick, that it's just going to be a lackluster film when compared against what I want to see on screen given what Snyder did.
Yep.

Can't help it, I do have some pretty heavy biases that will prevent me from really giving this movie a break. SO much race-flipping in one movie, hate it. Riddler ISN'T f*cking Jigsaw, hate it. Hate RPatz in everything and he didn't even work out for this.

The whole very well might surpass the sum of its parts, sure. It doesn't look BAD by any means but it still just looks like a more low-rent attempt at what Nolan already did. And while I liked "Real World Batman" just fine in Nolan's movies, having FINALLY seen a Batman who looked like he literally jumped right off of the printed page in Snyder's movies ruined me forever. That's ALL I ever want, now. This movie feels like a HUGE step backwards, after we finally got "Comic Book Batman" in a movie.

"But it's so GRITTY and REAL!" We did that one with Batman already, like 15 years ago! They did three of 'em! Yeah they were great but I'm oooooover it. I'm not enamored with that approach anymore after finally seeing a live-action Batman who gets to actually hang out with the Justice League fighting "real" super-villains and stuff.

And as you alluded to... even if this movie completely hits every mark it's aiming for, even if it's great... it STILL won't be the Batman movie I personally want. And y'know... I could MAYBE live easier with that if we hadn't already been PROMISED that movie, before they reneged on it to make this one. If no noise had ever been made about the Affleck Batman, or that incredible Deathstroke, or any of it, and this movie just happened as its own thing out of thin air... I might have an easier time accepting it. But we WERE promised something else, and I'm sorry, that "Something Else" would've been a lot better than whatever this one ends up being, I know it in my heart. If nothing else at least it wouldn't be reheated leftovers mimicking someone else's movies with a much worse leading actor.

I mean, again, I doubt it will be "a bad movie". I think that like most Marvel movies, for example, it will be a pretty well-made movie that succeeds entirely at what it tries to do while at the same time offering me NOTHING that I personally want to see at this point.

Will I ever see it? It's possible. Do I have any urgency to see it? Zero. I've mentioned this before, but the last MCU movie I've seen was Age of Ultron and that was enough for me. I've seen short snippets of a couple others since then while channel surfing - enough to tell me not to bother watching them - but that's all. When I don't care about a thing, I don't care HARD. And I just plain don't care about this.

Send me to the corner of the Multiverse where the Affleck Batman movie got made instead, that's where I wanna be.

Better yet, send me to an alternate timeline where they made "Batman: Venom" into a movie and Affleck starred in it. I'd never ask for anything again (probably).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
No we're not. That'd be like saying "We're getting two Aquaman movies next year!" if Aquaman makes an appearance in Black Adam.
You are technically correct. However, in this case since the only reason anyone is going to see the Flash movie is because of Batman being in it, I can see how the case could be made. It will probably be as much a "Batman Movie" as a Flash movie.

Unfortunately.

Jesus, I'm thinking back now to when BvS came out, and hearing a ton of people saying "Yeah, okay, maybe it's not bad, but is THAT the movie they should have made for the VERY FIRST movie to ever have both Superman and Batman in it? Like maybe it's not a bad movie but it's not the movie they should have made for that kind of event." And that was a fair point; a lot of people would've rather seen a "normal" team-up movie where they're buddies and all that, okay, fine, I'm not as needy about that but I get it. It's a valid point even if I don't agree with how much it matters in the grand scheme of things.

But where are they NOW? Where are those same people to cry foul and say, "C'mon, man, the FIRST ever Flash movie should be... y'know.. A FLASH MOVIE! Not a Batman movie with Flash kinda bouncing around in it!"

It's just interesting how "What they SHOULD be doing..." and "What would be BEST for those characters..." all goes away and ceases to matter all at once, just because "DUDE! KEATON!" Nobody's pitching a fit, as they ought, because Flash is probably gonna be the guest-star in his own movie. Instead it's just "C'mon, dude... DUDE... KEATON! Who CARES about Flash?!"

In the Flash movie.

Kind of annoying, not gonna lie.

Last edited by Leo656; 12-15-2021 at 09:10 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:53 AM   #1687
IMJ
Emperor
 
IMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Midwest, U.S.A.
Posts: 8,845
Well then this is everyone's opportunity to vote with their dollars and to pay out the wazoo to see the Flash flick while taking a hike from the Pattinson flick.

But it won't happen. The addicts will be out in droves to shell out the dough.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:59 AM   #1688
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,684
IDK man... this Batman movie just doesn't interest me. I'm like in zero rush to see it unless my friends wanna drag me along whenever it opens.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:59 AM   #1689
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
But where are they NOW? Where are those same people to cry foul and say, "C'mon, man, the FIRST ever Flash movie should be... y'know.. A FLASH MOVIE! Not a Batman movie with Flash kinda bouncing around in it!"
Right here. Me. I'm saying that. But the things is, even if they gave Ezra Miller a solo Flash movie devoid of big guest stars it still wouldn't be a real Flash/Barry Allen movie, so it doesn't really matter to me. It's like yeah, whatever. Let's bring in Keaton Batman and Affleck and stuff.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 11:02 AM   #1690
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
Maybe it's me, but I just feel like there is historically low hype for this thing, compared to all previous Batman movies.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 11:09 AM   #1691
AquaParade
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Maybe it's me, but I just feel like there is historically low hype for this thing, compared to all previous Batman movies.
It's all being swallowed by Spider-Man. This movie releases in March. I'm sure by February, everyone will be chomping at the bit for this and it's going to make serious money.

Personally, I couldn't be more excited for it. Well, maybe a little more. I do feel like it's the right time to see a more fantastical version of the character on screen. Something that resembles the more wild side of the comic books, because it's true that we've gone down the "gritty" road pretty thoroughly, for the time being. That said, the quality of the trailer combined with Matt Reeve's passion for the project are impossible to argue with. Matt Reeves not only has a very strong vision in mind, but he fought hard for creative control and apparently got it. The trailer is a blast, dripping with quality, and is stunning from a cinematography point of view. So, while I am ready to see a more fantastical version of the character on screen, I can't say no to such high quality, impassioned work.

At this point, I'm actually over Affleck's Batman, for the most part. I was really into it for a while, but as time went on, I realize everything I love about that version of the character comes from a visual standpoint. The costume, the color tone, the choreography. Nothing to actually do with Ben Affleck himself, who is actually rather cardboard in the role, with the script not really giving him much room to do anything but grit his teeth. I still like that version of the character, and I don't think Affleck is bad in the role, but he's certainly not the "end all, be all" Batman to me.

Last edited by AquaParade; 12-16-2021 at 11:19 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 11:11 AM   #1692
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Maybe it's me, but I just feel like there is historically low hype for this thing, compared to all previous Batman movies.
There's honestly nothing to get excited about beyond a general sense of "Matt Reeves has directed some pretty decent stuff before so this should probably be OK." Nothing in the trailers remotely makes me go "Wow!"
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 11:20 AM   #1693
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
There's honestly nothing to get excited about beyond a general sense of "Matt Reeves has directed some pretty decent stuff before so this should probably be OK." Nothing in the trailers remotely makes me go "Wow!"
That whole 'Batman takedown' scene in the trailer that kinda mimics how he does multiple punches and whatnot in the Arkham games just kinda shows why it looks stupid and silly in real life.

Not to mention attacking people in the dark with machine guns blazing and yet none of those bullet blasted his very exposed jaw off. Just stupid.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 11:21 AM   #1694
AquaParade
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
There's honestly nothing to get excited about beyond a general sense of "Matt Reeves has directed some pretty decent stuff before so this should probably be OK." Nothing in the trailers remotely makes me go "Wow!"
Not even the cinematography? The same guy who worked on Dune is handling the camera, and it shows. The shot of Gordon in the building above Gotham, the silhouette shot of Bruce up on the tower at dawn? The upside down shot of Batman walking towards Penguin through the flames?

I'm not saying cinematography is everything, but I'm surprised nothing in the trailer impressed you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
That whole 'Batman takedown' scene in the trailer that kinda mimics how he does multiple punches and whatnot in the Arkham games just kinda shows why it looks stupid and silly in real life.

Not to mention attacking people in the dark with machine guns blazing and yet none of those bullet blasted his very exposed jaw off. Just stupid.
I didn't think the Batman takedown looked silly at all. It's more visceral than we often get in these films. It's standout scene in the trailer for most people, because it rattles you seeing how brutal and out of control this version of Bruce is.

People attacking in the dark with machine guns? Yeah, that came across a bit silly to me. But, it's being used to drive home how reckless and suicidal this version of Bruce is right now, so I'm going to obviously reserve judgement until I see how it works in the context of the film. But yeah, I can agree that it took me out of the moment when I saw it in the trailers.

Last edited by AquaParade; 12-16-2021 at 11:27 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 11:27 AM   #1695
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
That whole 'Batman takedown' scene in the trailer that kinda mimics how he does multiple punches and whatnot in the Arkham games just kinda shows why it looks stupid and silly in real life.
I was thinking that, too. Now, I enjoyed "The Dark Knight Rises," but remember how stupid it looked when Batman is walking up to Bane in the broad daylight and getting in a simple fistfight? This seems like a doubling down on a lot more of that.

"Batman Fighting" should be somewhere between his first appearance as Batman in Batman Begins and the warehouse scene in BvS. Minus all the murdering.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 11:32 AM   #1696
AquaParade
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
I don't find much value in setting terms or rules on these types of things without seeing how they're used in the context of the film. We see a shot of Batman walking up to a dude and pulverizing the crap out of him and say "nah, Batman shouldn't fight like this."
There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Sometimes you just have to see what they're going for. Is it a suspension of disbelief thing for you guys? Because there's like an exact shot of Batman doing this very thing in the Warehouse, from behind, except it's broadly lit and there are dudes standing around with machine guns lol.

Because, when it comes to the final Bane scene, that's sort of what it is for me. It's sort of weird that Batman is able to have a one-on-one with Bane in the middle of a riot, in broad daylight, when there are guns everywhere. It's not a huge issue for me, but I do get it.

The Batman takedown scene in the trailer strikes me quite different. What I am taking from it, is there is a young group of guys/gang seeing a maniac dressed up as a Bat, talk some ****, one walks up to him, and gets a serious beatdown. The guys are shocked because they don't know who or what they're up against, so they stand back and watch. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

I can't help but feel like there's a bit of this going around:


Last edited by AquaParade; 12-16-2021 at 11:42 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 12:03 PM   #1697
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
I remember back October/November 2017, I was sitting around and I realized, "OH that Justice League movie is actually coming in two weeks?" Because I had assumed for a long time, it was going to be held to be one of those Summer Blockbusters of 2018. And then I never got around to going to see it in theatres. I'm kinda afraid I might end up doing the same for Patt's Bats.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 12:10 PM   #1698
AquaParade
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I remember back October/November 2017, I was sitting around and I realized, "OH that Justice League movie is actually coming in two weeks?" Because I had assumed for a long time, it was going to be held to be one of those Summer Blockbusters of 2018. And then I never got around to going to see it in theatres. I'm kinda afraid I might end up doing the same for Patt's Bats.
Two weeks seems like a good time to become aware of a film. Spares you months of hype and built-up expectations. The expectations always get me.
If you can't plan a theater viewing of the movie, even knowing of it two weeks before release, you probably don't want to see it in theaters that bad, right?
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 01:26 PM   #1699
IMJ
Emperor
 
IMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Midwest, U.S.A.
Posts: 8,845
It's true. I remember back in the pre-internet days a trailer would pop up for something you had no idea was coming and the three week wait for it to open seemed like a lifetime.

The longest "perceptual wait" ever for me for a movie was as a kid with Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom because it was hyped on Entertainment Tonight on T.V. before there was ever a trailer. And then I found the novelization at a Jewel/Osco and the center pages were glossy photos from the movie.

It was torture.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 01:44 PM   #1700
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Two weeks seems like a good time to become aware of a film. Spares you months of hype and built-up expectations. The expectations always get me.
If you can't plan a theater viewing of the movie, even knowing of it two weeks before release, you probably don't want to see it in theaters that bad, right?
November and December are always busy for me as regards traveling and other responsibilities. And then once winter of the new year comes around, the weather is more likely to keep me home.

So in order to run out to the theatre on a whim during that season, I REALLY need to be interested in a flick.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
batman, diversity comics, the cucked crusader


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.