The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 05-22-2022, 03:43 PM   #2361
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
azrael is getting a 6 issue mini series in August

https://i.imgur.com/2BpMIdM.jpg
Jean Paul Valley or more FAKE Azrael?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 03:57 PM   #2362
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That annoyed me in Arkham Knight. The game goes to great lengths to foreshadow Azrael replacing Bruce Wayne as Batman, and even though it's different from the comics it's mostly fine... except that it's FAKE Azrael and Jean-Paul is never mentioned and thus I imagine doesn't exist in the game's universe.

They should just pass a law and make it official that you can't have blonde, blue-eyed white people in works of fiction anymore. Since "they're all Nazis and thus need to be replaced by non-whites". Just put it on paper instead of being all passive-aggressive about it.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 03:58 PM   #2363
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I unironically miss late 80s/90s/early 2000s DC Comics.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 04:00 PM   #2364
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Quote:
Via Newsarama, DC Comics have announced “Sword of Azrael,” a new six-issue limited series starring Jean-Paul Valley, by writer Dan Watters, and artist Nikola ?ižmešija. The series will pick up with Jean-Paul, now retired from being the pawn of the Order of St. Dumas, and living at a monastery in Europe, until a young woman appears, asking for his help. After learning she has undergone the same brainwashing he did, Jean-Paul reclaims the mantle of Azrael to protect her from the deadly assassins now pursuing her.
http://www.multiversitycomics.com/news/sword-of-azrael/
Old 05-25-2022, 07:36 AM   #2365
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Ah man, I'd have to pull out my longboxes.

The storyline leading up to issue #50, the Vandal Savage/Lady Flash one where Wally gets his "liquid metal" costume, that was a good one. The "Return of Barry Allen" arc around #75 is the best Flash story ever. Flash Annual #3 from 1989 is fantastic all around.

It's been so long since I've dug through my boxes that a ton of stuff is slipping my mind. I've been cleaning out the storage room though so if I get to that box I might dig some stuff out to read and get back to you.
I watched video that covered the whole volume on YouTube. The thing is it looks like Waid's run focused on various evil speedsters from Black Flash to 25th Century Walter West to Cobalt Blue. I would rather read about the growth of Wally West's character and the villains. That is what I am invested in Batman similarly, Dick, Barbara, and the villains. I missed 'Terminal Velcocity' from #95-#100. I will pick that up when I go to Heroes Con in single issue form next month. Also, it looks like annuals#3 and #5 would be of my particular interest.
Old 05-26-2022, 02:02 PM   #2366
Coola Yagami
Overlord

And then Batman became woke. Ignoring BLM-ish riots to solve other crimes, after all the big companies have insurance. Yet when his place is broken until, he fights them off rather than let them in. Doesn't he have insurance?

And then he says the only reason he doesn't let the joker fall to his death is because kids are watching.

https://t.co/pdRAiAA1d7

I'm starting to wonder, were the Rodney King riots portrayed in comics back then or at least an expy of them, cause I don't remember. Back then the heroes were actually fighting super villains, not George Bush expires or whatever

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Last edited by Coola Yagami; 05-26-2022 at 02:14 PM.
Coola Yagami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:37 PM   #2367
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
And then Batman became woke. Ignoring BLM-ish riots to solve other crimes, after all the big companies have insurance. Yet when his place is broken until, he fights them off rather than let them in. Doesn't he have insurance?

And then he says the only reason he doesn't let the joker fall to his death is because kids are watching.

https://t.co/pdRAiAA1d7

I'm starting to wonder, were the Rodney King riots portrayed in comics back then or at least an expy of them, cause I don't remember. Back then the heroes were actually fighting super villains, not George Bush expires or whatever
Old 05-26-2022, 03:11 PM   #2368
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I wonder if next issue he'll donate most of his money to the poor since that seems to be the left's answer to everything.

Or maybe Batman will step down and let Signal be the new Batman cause BLM.

I mean this is the same guy that saved the Joker from death row cause he was actually innocent of that particular crime when he coulda sit back and let him die in exchange for all the other crimes he actually did commit. And now he's saying the only reason he's not letting joker die is because 'how will he explain it to the kids'.

I hate new writers that don't understand the character they're writing. Like this isn't Harper Row or Kite Man, it's ****ing Batman. How do you not understand Batman?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 05-26-2022, 07:21 PM   #2369
superstaff
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I wonder if next issue he'll donate most of his money to the poor since that seems to be the left's answer to everything.

Or maybe Batman will step down and let Signal be the new Batman cause BLM.

I mean this is the same guy that saved the Joker from death row cause he was actually innocent of that particular crime when he coulda sit back and let him die in exchange for all the other crimes he actually did commit. And now he's saying the only reason he's not letting joker die is because 'how will he explain it to the kids'.

I hate new writers that don't understand the character they're writing. Like this isn't Harper Row or Kite Man, it's ****ing Batman. How do you not understand Batman?
I think it's time to stop reading and caring about these comics. This isn't the first time DC's ruined Batman or any of its other characters, and this isn't the last time. The best thing to do is 1) stop giving them money by buying this stuff, and 2) stop giving them attention that they use as publicity to get $$$ and virtue signaling brownie points.
superstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:42 PM   #2370
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstaff View Post
I think it's time to stop reading and caring about these comics. This isn't the first time DC's ruined Batman or any of its other characters, and this isn't the last time. The best thing to do is 1) stop giving them money by buying this stuff, and 2) stop giving them attention that they use as publicity to get $$$ and virtue signaling brownie points.
I have stopped. I've mostly been reading the 90s Legend of the Dark Knight series and tracking down all the old Batman and Detective comics I owned in my childhood.

Old 05-26-2022, 09:28 PM   #2371
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
I have stopped. I've mostly been reading the 90s Legend of the Dark Knight series and tracking down all the old Batman and Detective comics I owned in my childhood.
I am currently doing just that! What have you picked up of late?
Old 05-26-2022, 10:15 PM   #2372
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I am currently doing just that! What have you picked up of late?
Recently I picked up 'Masks', 'Going Sane' and 'Faith' (these are all Legends of the Dark Knight stories btw). The funny part is I accidentally picked up Faith part 2 twice, and when I went to a comic sale, I finally found part 3 as well as a box full of spare part 2s.

I'll be reading and reviewing those soon. I also picked up Batgirl (Cassie Cain) 6-part mini-series (only 5 parts though, but I will not rest until I find part 6), some Tomb Raider comics and The Magdalena.

I've been having a lot of fun going back to the 80's, 90's and early 2000's.

I review em on my blog so I can kinda capture that 'first time read' surprise feeling.

Last edited by Coola Yagami; 05-27-2022 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 03:19 PM   #2373
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Recently I picked up 'Masks', 'Going Sane' and 'Faith' (these are all Legends of the Dark Knight stories btw). The funny part is I accidentally picked up Faith part 2 twice, and when I went to a comic sale, I finally found part 3 as well as a box full of spare part 2s.

I'll be reading and reviewing those soon. I also picked up Batgirl (Cassie Cain) 6-part mini-series (only 5 parts though, but I will not rest until I find part 6), some Tomb Raider comics and The Magdalena.

I've been having a lot of fun going back to the 80's, 90's and early 2000's.

I review em on my blog so I can kinda capture that 'first time read' surprise feeling.
I guess by now you guessed I am a late Silver and Bronze Age DC guy, I love tone and character set of the time. I remember when Legends was around #150, but never bought it. The main thing is its because I prefer it involve Dick Grayson, Barbara Gordon, and The Bat Rogues. However, between last December through last month I finished my best of Legends of The Dark Knight set. This is what I picked up:
LotDK#1-5,11-15,28-30,65-68,79,100, 109-111,127-131,137-145,149-153,192-196, 201-203, Annual#5, Halloween Special'93,'94,'95

I also have been building my back issue run of Detective Comics getting issues #372-#388, only missing 'Tec#385. I plan on getting Detective Comics#371 and #385 at Heroes Con next month. Both are early Batgirl appearances.

I use comics for escapism, but Liberals have ruined my enjoyment that was left from when the New 52 came out one month after IDW's title launched. So I responded by using my disposable income that was on comics on bargain hunting the back issue bin.
Old 05-28-2022, 09:18 AM   #2374
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm not reading anything current but that is generally the point of Warworld, yes.

The Jurgens run in Adventures of Superman in the late-80s did a fantastic job with the WarWorld arc, and it had repercussions in the books for many years. Terrific stuff.

Old 05-28-2022, 09:34 AM   #2375
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
I'm not reading anything current but that is generally the point of Warworld, yes.

The Jurgens run in Adventures of Superman in the late-80s did a fantastic job with the WarWorld arc, and it had repercussions in the books for many years. Terrific stuff.
I was surprised to see that WarWorld was essentially The Death Star in DCCP#27 instead of a desolate planet which featured intergalactic gladiatorial games due to the cartoon. However, it reads like you are suggesting the concept changed before this current storyline? Also, Dregga was not a part of the WarWorld storyline was he? All I know is he was an actual character who appeared in the early 90s'.

The Waid book is closer to my late Silver/Bronze Age preferences, but I think you should at least read it online to see if its any good to you.

One thing I find odd is how ever since the 1990s' the structure of story in comics has been arcs, a single story told across 4 to 6 issues, essentially writing to trade paperback. However, the sales charts suggest only Watchmen and The Killing Joke, which continue to appear in the top 750 sales chart and a pair of Beast Boy graphic novels even charted. So why is the format to write thinking of trade paper back collection when its not selling in that format?
Old 05-28-2022, 09:43 AM   #2376
Leo656
The Franchise

*Draaga, I believe you mean. And yes, he was Mongul's Champion until Superman beat him, starting a whole vendetta.

https://superman.fandom.com/wiki/Draaga

Quote:
Draaga was an alien warrior and the favored combatant of Warworld in service to Mongul. Draaga participated in many of Mongul's gladiatorial fights and was the undisputed champion until the day that Superman came to Warworld. Superman defeated Draaga, but refused to take his life (as per the terms of the contest). Rather than showing gratitude however, Draaga was furious. He felt that Superman's decision to spare his life was an insult to his honor. Draaga committed himself to avenging his honor by one day defeating the Man of Steel.
He eventually did a babyface turn during "Panic in the Sky" and gave his life to help Superman stop Brainiac's invasion of Earth.

At that point, the Post-Crisis Superman had never been a member of the Justice League. It was his role in leading the entire contingent of Earth's super-heroes against the Brainiac invasion that led to Superman becoming a member of the JLA and its leader for the "first" time (in Post-Crisis continuity) immediately afterward.

'86 through '94 was peak DC, you or anyone will never, ever convince me otherwise. Tight continuity throughout the entire line and epic stories that had repercussions for years and years to come. You could pull any random book from that era and find a gem. That was the true "Golden Age". DC was never that good before and never has been since. And based on what's been going on, definitely never will be again.

Old 05-28-2022, 10:13 AM   #2377
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
*Draaga, I believe you mean. And yes, he was Mongul's Champion until Superman beat him, starting a whole vendetta.

https://superman.fandom.com/wiki/Draaga

He eventually did a babyface turn during "Panic in the Sky" and gave his life to help Superman stop Brainiac's invasion of Earth.

At that point, the Post-Crisis Superman had never been a member of the Justice League. It was his role in leading the entire contingent of Earth's super-heroes against the Brainiac invasion that led to Superman becoming a member of the JLA and its leader for the "first" time (in Post-Crisis continuity) immediately afterward.

'86 through '94 was peak DC, you or anyone will never, ever convince me otherwise. Tight continuity throughout the entire line and epic stories that had repercussions for years and years to come. You could pull any random book from that era and find a gem. That was the true "Golden Age". DC was never that good before and never has been since. And based on what's been going on, definitely never will be again.
Oh ,okay so the appearance in 'Warworld' two parter in Justuce League was derived from preexisting material more so than I realized. All I knew was of Draaga's sacrifice- in Panic In The Sky. It's the only story I have read with the character.

As for peak DC, its all about preferences. For you its between COIE and Zero Hour. For me its '75-'83.It has the classic set of characters, a great tone of fun and serious epic, classic teams at their peaks, the DC image is painted by Neal Adams and Jose Garcia-Lopez, and the greatest stable of creators the company would ever have. My younger sibling would be more inclined to agree with you due to his love of JLI, but much of the other media I grew up with was influenced by this period.
Old 05-28-2022, 10:25 AM   #2378
Leo656
The Franchise

Too campy. No long-term repercussions. Not altogether bad, just lacking in consequence.

Between 86' and the mid-90s, if you read Justice League America, there would be consequences in Green Lantern. From Green Lantern, there would be consequences in The Flash. From The Flash, there would be consequences in Justice League Europe. From Justice League Europe, the repercussions would be felt in JLA. In turn, what happened in JLA affected what happened in the Superman books. And so on and so forth.

Batman was generally its own little "pocket universe" the whole entire time but that was it.

Not only were you encouraged to pick up the entire DC line in those days, you were rewarded for it. Absolutely nothing happened in a vacuum. That's how it should be. If these characters all occupy the same "universe", each book should not be its own segregated thing where nothing matters outside of that book.

In the Silver Age, whatever happened in Justice League stayed in Justice League and those events were almost never referenced outside of that one book. I couldn't stand that. They'd have these huge adventures and they'd treat it like it was just a random Thursday. Nobody was affected by any of it. That was on purpose, DC Editorial always wanted it that way back then because "some kids can only buy one comic book every month", but it always drove me crazy. It was like the Superman in JLA and the Superman in his own book may as well have been two completely different people.

Continuity should be the entire point of a "shared universe". Otherwise don't even bother having one.

Old 05-28-2022, 12:29 PM   #2379
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I think my first experience with the shared universe was during death in the family where Superman showed up to stop Batman from killing the Joker who has just killed Robin. At the time Joker temporarily became embassador of some Iran/Iraq type country and had Batman killed him it would have been considered an international incident.

I still remember when Batman angrily punched Superman and he said if he didn't roll with the punch Batman would have broken his hand. But yeah at the time, reading Batman and Detective comics there was never mention of any other hero (least during the ones I read) so I was like wtf is Superman doing here???

Old 05-28-2022, 12:45 PM   #2380
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, the Batman books were pretty much the sole outlier. DC kept them mostly self-contained but everything else in the DCU was pretty well-merged. And Batman showed up elsewhere a whole bunch, too, it's just that the events of those stories were rarely mentioned in his own books and vice-versa.

I think they were just really "protective" of the Batman line at that point, since people were already giving them some sh*t for the inconsistencies between the main Batman book and Detective Comics. They probably figured it best to limit the cross-pollination to avoid any further issues.

Tags
batman, bendis, dc comics, superman, wonder woman