The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2026, 10:46 AM   #981
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,685
The turtles (and April) gave me the impression that sushi was gross. Growing up i tried it and I love it.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2026, 12:24 PM   #982
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,811
Raw fish? Yuck!
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2026, 12:42 PM   #983
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
The turtles (and April) gave me the impression that sushi was gross. Growing up i tried it and I love it.
Dude, same! My mom never liked any Asian cuisine and my dad would occasionally bring home Chinese, but that was it. Once I got my drivers license, my friends and I started eating different stuff and I was blown away by how good sushi was.

Obviously there’s all different kinds, but how the hell can anyone act like it’s a gross type of food? Weird.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2026, 01:37 PM   #984
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
I have family members who like it and I'm sure it's good to those who like the flavors of fish, seaweed, and don't mind that some of them are raw... but those elements are not for me.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2026, 02:40 PM   #985
Heyowakka
Stone Warrior
 
Heyowakka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2025
Posts: 503
I wish the gag of the Turtles not liking raw fish was something that transcended into all continuities because it’s such a silly bit.
Heyowakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2026, 02:50 PM   #986
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,811
Well keep in mind that line was written back in 1987, at a show aimed at children. Back then sushi or Japanese food wasn't mainstream in the U.S., the anime boom wouldn't happen till the late 90's so Americans didn't know anything about the Japanese. The concept of American teenagers eating raw fish was unheard of back then.

It's just like how the original TMNT cartoon made vans and blimps popular. Before TMNT existed, nobody drove a van or thought blimps were cool. Nobody put a ton of different toppings on pizza outside of pepperoni. It was the TMNT franchise that made people realize you can put toppings on pizza, it was never really done before.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2026, 05:25 PM   #987
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I have family members who like it and I'm sure it's good to those who like the flavors of fish, seaweed, and don't mind that some of them are raw... but those elements are not for me.
Yeah, but you can get shrimp, cream cheese, sweet potato, crab, avocado… just about anything and you can get it tempura style. It’s not limited to raw fish.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2026, 06:38 PM   #988
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Well keep in mind that line was written back in 1987, at a show aimed at children. Back then sushi or Japanese food wasn't mainstream in the U.S., the anime boom wouldn't happen till the late 90's so Americans didn't know anything about the Japanese. The concept of American teenagers eating raw fish was unheard of back then.

It's just like how the original TMNT cartoon made vans and blimps popular. Before TMNT existed, nobody drove a van or thought blimps were cool. Nobody put a ton of different toppings on pizza outside of pepperoni. It was the TMNT franchise that made people realize you can put toppings on pizza, it was never really done before.
I'm sure meat lovers, supreme, and 'the works' were around way before the turtles cartoon.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2026, 06:40 PM   #989
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Yeah, but you can get shrimp, cream cheese, sweet potato, crab, avocado… just about anything and you can get it tempura style. It’s not limited to raw fish.
Fun fact, I don't like avocado but since you can barely taste it among the other ingredients, I like California rolls just fine.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2026, 07:34 PM   #990
neatoman
Overlord
 
neatoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 11,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Raw fish? Yuck!
Yeah see, I think back in the day most people in the west confused sushi for sashimi. As weird as it may sound, my mom don't mind eating sushi but can't stand the idea of sashimi, even though both involve eating raw fish.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2026, 08:32 PM   #991
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,221
Wait didn’t one of the turtles order a sashimi pizza in the first episode not long after poopooing Splinter’s sushi?
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2026, 08:39 PM   #992
neatoman
Overlord
 
neatoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 11,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Wait didn’t one of the turtles order a sashimi pizza in the first episode not long after poopooing Splinter’s sushi?
Yes, I guess they just don't like rice then? By the way, how do make sashimi pizza when sashimi is raw by definition but pizza is baked?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2026, 09:17 PM   #993
Heyowakka
Stone Warrior
 
Heyowakka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2025
Posts: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Wait didn’t one of the turtles order a sashimi pizza in the first episode not long after poopooing Splinter’s sushi?
If I recall correctly, it was Raphael who ordered the sashimi pizza, maybe he’s actually okay with sushi; technically Donatello is the only one who verbally poo-poo’d the idea of eating raw fish.
Heyowakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2026, 09:54 PM   #994
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,811
There seemed to be a mandate the Turtles ONLY eat pizza in the original cartoon. You ever notice they never go out for Chinese food, eat sandwiches, or tacos, etc.?

I remember the one episode Don uses his invention to restore rotten food back to normal and does it with a banana, and Raphael peels open the banana and eats it. I remember finding that weird back then because that scene is the only time you see Raphael eat a banana (or any fruit) for the entire original series as far as I remember.

I wonder if it was a mandate from the higher ups that the writers never show the Turtles eating anything but pizza for the promotion of the show.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2026, 10:51 PM   #995
sdp
Detoxed Member
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 11,188
pizza was just such a popular kids food in the 80s,90s and 00s. Gen Alpha and even Gen z don't care about Pizza, it's not really a thing they eat nowadays much of. Hell even I as an adult don't really care much for pizza.
When have you seen a respectable adult that isn't some slob actually choosing to eat pizza instead of something else. This isn't even trolling or anything.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2026, 03:36 AM   #996
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Yes, I guess they just don't like rice then? By the way, how do make sashimi pizza when sashimi is raw by definition but pizza is baked?
I guess bake the pizza then throw the sashimi on once it’s out of the oven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyowakka View Post
If I recall correctly, it was Raphael who ordered the sashimi pizza, maybe he’s actually okay with sushi; technically Donatello is the only one who verbally poo-poo’d the idea of eating raw fish.
Good point.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2026, 06:59 AM   #997
neatoman
Overlord
 
neatoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 11,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I guess bake the pizza then throw the sashimi on once it’s out of the oven.
But you serve pizza hot, so won't the surface of the fish get cooked? It'll be less like sashimi and more like rare fish.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2026, 11:32 AM   #998
Heyowakka
Stone Warrior
 
Heyowakka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2025
Posts: 503
I did a tiny bit of looking and apparently tuna sashimi with mayonnaise is a rather popular pizza topping in Japan…
Heyowakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2026, 03:29 PM   #999
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
But you serve pizza hot, so won't the surface of the fish get cooked? It'll be less like sashimi and more like rare fish.
I mean if you threw it on three the second it came out of the oven screaming hot, it might end up cooked a little bit on one side.

But if you let it cool for a few minutes then put the sashimi on right before serving, I think it would still qualify as raw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyowakka View Post
I did a tiny bit of looking and apparently tuna sashimi with mayonnaise is a rather popular pizza topping in Japan…
Hell yeah, now I definitely have to go lol
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2026, 07:46 PM   #1000
TylerD
Hench Mutant
 
TylerD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Raw fish? Yuck!
I like salmon sushi lol
TylerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.