The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2007, 10:32 PM   #121
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Actually, the toys did not sell well and the only reason FF got high ratings is because that's what was on when the movie came out.
Well then maybe I live on Mars because it took me forever to get FF figures by me. I have 2 Wal-marts, 2 Targets, and a Toysrus I check for figures and between all 5 of those it still took me a few months to get all the FF figures. I had alot of trouble finding Raph, Leo, The Dark Turtles, and I never even saw Jammerhead or Viral I ended up getting them for Christmas out of blind luck.

They were always mostly sold out, and I know they were stocking them because I'd check everyday. I'd go in one day and see the shelf full of em and then the next everything but the role play gear and the Hover Shell HQ set would be gone.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:01 PM   #122
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 22,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire666xXxXx View Post
I know for a fact he reads this site, and I'm sure seeing the biggest group of his fan base belittling him and his creations depresses him. FF was one of his ideas, had we ran with it and been patient we would have been surprised and the show would have gotten better.
Laird thinks as the person that he began as...a comics publisher. Marvel and DC are forced to retcon stuff several times because the consumers dislike what there doing, they want something new made from the older material, taking a step forward cheats them out of possibilities with the same settings.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 10-27-2007 at 11:10 PM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:03 AM   #123
METALHEAD
Stone Warrior
 
METALHEAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: san benito texas
Posts: 734
Thumbs up

BRING ON THE NEW TMNT SHOW YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAA AAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
METALHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:59 AM   #124
Splinter's Iroonna
Hench Mutant
 
Splinter's Iroonna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire666xXxXx View Post
Because FF was planned to begin with, the only change was they bumped up the humor in it.
Yes-- and I think some people forget that Laird and Mirage got 4Kids to allow the "Ninja Tribunal/Dark Shredder" arc to be made! It was my understanding that Fast Forward would come after the season with the Tribunal-- and then would come back to the present.


I remember once an email from Dan B., back when Cartoon Network still ran the show (and were being appeased by being allowed access to first-run eps before 4Kids ran them-- yet they still f*cked up the schedule etc)-- he said that getting the show seen regardless was the goal-- keep the turtles "out there". I'm guessing that Laird agreed to the bastardization of the Fast Forward idea in order to get the Tribunal episodes done.

Okay-- I am LOOKING FORWARD to the new season, especially after reading the blurb at ninjaturtles.com-- I say this despite having watched my "Mutants and Monsters" DVD last night and enjoying the awesome animation (REALLY look at "All Hallow's Thieves"! That is some wicked animation during the fight scenes, especially in the motel room where they're battling those lil flying gargoyles!).

While the eyes did not bother me in the movie, I think I'll have a hard time if they have pupils in the new toon, though-- I always liked how they'd show them when they'd remove their masks... just gave them a different "feel".
__________________
Original banner by Imagi, comments/adaptations by Ninjatron-- check out his blog!
http://astroboyworld.blogspot.com/
Splinter's Iroonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:03 AM   #125
Leonardo_Warrior_Turtle
Stone Warrior
 
Leonardo_Warrior_Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 858
Well, honestly if they give the Turtles pupils in '08, it's going to throw some things off since this new show will be in 2k3 canon and continuity.
__________________
Leonardo_Warrior_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:46 AM   #126
TerranigmaFreak
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 715
Wait, is it confirmed they'll have pupils? I mean, if they're lowering the budget, wouldn't adding pupils make more work for the animators? Sure, they can just draw a black circle, but that black circle still has to follow movement and other things. The fact that you have to draw something extra in the first place makes no sense when you're scaling back the budget.
__________________


First footage of the new R rated TMNT movie.
TerranigmaFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:11 PM   #127
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,544
Maybe they are adding pupils to go with the eye colors of the movie. The different shades of brown for Donny, Leo and Raph, and the blue for Mikey. But yeah, I agree ^ that it might make the budget higher, not lower, since it's one more thing that the animators do have to stick in.

But on a personal level, I would love it if they added pupils. Them not having pupils is the number one reason why none of my friends and family dont care to watch it. I know it's a bit weird, but I understand where they are coming from. After growing up on the old cartoon, and three movies, all having pupils in the Turtles eyes, plus the last movie, it makes the new cartoon seem out of place. And mind you, even though the comic books dont have pupils, the majority of the exposure of the Turtles comes via movies or tv access.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:49 PM   #128
TerranigmaFreak
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 715
Quote:
But on a personal level, I would love it if they added pupils. Them not having pupils is the number one reason why none of my friends and family dont care to watch it. I know it's a bit weird, but I understand where they are coming from. After growing up on the old cartoon, and three movies, all having pupils in the Turtles eyes, plus the last movie, it makes the new cartoon seem out of place. And mind you, even though the comic books dont have pupils, the majority of the exposure of the Turtles comes via movies or tv access.
Yeah that's true. They're more used to the friendlier look of the turtles. But the funny thing is that the toys usually don't have pupils either. I always thought that was weird as a kid. There were some figures with pupils, but probably 99% of them don't.
__________________


First footage of the new R rated TMNT movie.
TerranigmaFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:27 PM   #129
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter's Iroonna View Post
I'm guessing that Laird agreed to the bastardization of the Fast Forward idea in order to get the Tribunal episodes done.
No it was his idea, and now he's ashamed of it because of the response it got. I doubt he planned to tone it down as much as it is but it was his idea.

From what Dan told me Laird paid for Season 5 because 4Kids wouldn't hence why the animation is cheaper looking.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:40 PM   #130
Splinter's Iroonna
Hench Mutant
 
Splinter's Iroonna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 401
No, pupils are not confirmed.. .that is just speculation-- which is what makes everything here so darn fun!
__________________
Original banner by Imagi, comments/adaptations by Ninjatron-- check out his blog!
http://astroboyworld.blogspot.com/
Splinter's Iroonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:08 PM   #131
odupianist
Mad Scientist
 
odupianist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,744
I agree with Iroonna, I like how the masks didn't have pupils but the turtles without masks had pupils. Gave it a sweet feel I think. but that's not what this thread is about, so I'll shut up now.
odupianist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:38 PM   #132
Scandia
Mad Scientist
 
Scandia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,265
I prefer pupils. But I agree that suddenly adding pupils in the 8th season when they were not shown before would be very inconsistent. I do like it that the pupils are shown when the Turtles do not have their masks on.
__________________


Turtles fight with honor!!!
Scandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:52 PM   #133
mattmanw54301
Foot Soldier
 
mattmanw54301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 182
I am psyched for this. No cards, no toddler turtles. Not really any super drastic changes at all. I mean, the show was always heavy on toy-centric vehicles, etc. And it makes sense that if the continuity continued, Don would use some of the cool stuff he saw/did in the future to help out the guys. Mikey is gonna have trouble re-adjusting to primitive 21st century video games. It really sounds pretty similar to what I would have done with the show at this point. Actually, I would have tried to salvage FF first, adding some darker elements to it and gradually phasing out the humor.

And we know long ago that they were going to somehow tie the movie into it. That just makes sense. But I digress. I just think in this case that things couldn't have realistically turned out any better.
mattmanw54301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:01 PM   #134
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,784
When The Turtles get back to the 21st century, Donnie builds them some technologically advanced bandannas that have, like, telescopic vision and stuff at the cost of revealing their pupils.

As is the case with incorporating the movie designs at all, showing their pupils would be a minor irritation to me. It won't bug me unless I dwell on it. However, with how highly Laird was praising that feature in one of his interviews on the old version DVDs, I think it's likely not to change. Laird likes the Batman-look. ^_^ Plus, the show's supposed to be getting more serious, not more friendly-looking (though that may not apply to the question at hand).
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.


Last edited by gobo; 10-28-2007 at 06:11 PM.
gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:01 PM   #135
mattmanw54301
Foot Soldier
 
mattmanw54301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 182
I would like to see their future weapons stick around. Maybe the new looks will be an amalgam of their FF and 2K3 looks. I'm sure Raph will give up his future stuff without a fight. Mikey and Leo not sure. I can see Don keeping a secret stash of future gadgets, and the other TMNT scolding him that he will change the future.

I also hope to see the Dark Turtles come to the present. Maybe start another team, with Leatherhead as the leader. That's just me though. I have weird ideas sometimes.
mattmanw54301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:10 PM   #136
Splinter's Iroonna
Hench Mutant
 
Splinter's Iroonna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 401
Actually, Dark Turtles is one of the few things I really like-- I especially liked the promise that DNA is Thicker than Water offered-- they'd want to all start wondering at their purpose in Life etc--

But I don't agree with the future weapons-- I am a Ninja purist when it comes to that. Mikeytron 6000 showed that Mike never took to heart that in a ninja's hand, anything is a weapon.



But yeah, the Dark Turtles (had they continued FF) should have found purpose and meaning-- rather along the lines of the Inuishi Gunjin or however it's spelled-- And perhaps they could have found someone to be their Sensei--- OMG-- CODY--


*beats off the plot bunnies with a HUGE stick*
__________________
Original banner by Imagi, comments/adaptations by Ninjatron-- check out his blog!
http://astroboyworld.blogspot.com/
Splinter's Iroonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:30 PM   #137
mattmanw54301
Foot Soldier
 
mattmanw54301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 182
Or perhaps the Ancient One.
mattmanw54301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:34 PM   #138
triplexxx
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter's Iroonna View Post
Mike never took to heart that in a ninja's hand, anything is a weapon.
And that's why he used brushes in Turtles In Space 2 and pipes in What A Croc!
__________________
Please don't shoot me Mr. Big Mike. I'm too young and good-looking to die, well too young. I got a father, I got a mother, I got a grandmother, I got a little sister...and a little brother this high (raises hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand), and a little brother this high (lowers hand) and then I got a great big brother this high (slaps gun and runs).
"Fright Night" - Three Stooges
triplexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:30 PM   #139
Leonardo Mystic
Stone Warrior
 
Leonardo Mystic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Georgia
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmanw54301 View Post
I would like to see their future weapons stick around. Maybe the new looks will be an amalgam of their FF and 2K3 looks. I'm sure Raph will give up his future stuff without a fight. Mikey and Leo not sure. I can see Don keeping a secret stash of future gadgets, and the other TMNT scolding him that he will change the future.
If it's anything like how they got there getting back, their future clothing and weapons won't be coming with them as material things can't travel through time.
__________________

Leonardo Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:38 PM   #140
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo Mystic View Post
If it's anything like how they got there getting back, their future clothing and weapons won't be coming with them as material things can't travel through time.
That's a really good point I never thought of. But in "Timing is Everything" they traveled back and they had their gear, so maybe it depends on the sort of travel. Honestly I don't think Splinter would allow it.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.