The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2007, 09:17 PM   #181
Masked Ninja
Doodles TMNT for fun
 
Masked Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: sploshin' through some sewer...
Posts: 2,137
Hmmmm... let me give this a few more minutes to look over.

Well, it's really pointy. Like, FF pointy. But there's something about the face that looks different from FF in a way I like. Without pupils it looks pretty kickawesome. And I do think it's an improvement over Fast Foward, even with all the sharp angles. I think the body proportions are slightly different in a way I like better. That could be movie-style influence; I notice the wrists are thicker. I like that a lot, though the ankles should probably be thicker too, to match.

Probably the weakest part for me are the legs, actually. You get those sharp angles of the muscles and cut to those thinner ankles and it almost looks like the legs are deformed. That's something that will improve when they're in motion, but still.

2k3 is still my favorite 'toon style, but if they get some decent lighting and color scripting going on, this should do OK for itself. And, you know, some good stories.

Haha, Spawn Guy beat me to it, I'd love if they either kept the pupils and went to glowy-eye in the darkness or ninja-mode (think Gargoyles on that one?) or just ditched the pupils entirely. On the other hand, having pupils does make for better acting opportunities in animation.

Still awaiting the quality of animation. My reaction for now is favorable, but reserved.
Masked Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:42 PM   #182
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,684
The art style looks TOO different though... Fast Forward was basically the simplified version of 2K3. This new looks is pretty interesting.. but will they keep the 2K3/FF continuity like they promised? Same voices...?
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:49 PM   #183
Whitewolf89
Freedom Fighter and Ninja
 
Whitewolf89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Currently residing in the Turtles' Lair, NYC sewer system, NYC, NY
Posts: 2,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeys_in_tha_hizouse View Post
Why is everyone calling the 2008 season Season 8? Isn't it technically Season 7, with FF being Season 6 and TLS being Season 5?
Yeah, me, too.

Heh, methinks Murph must have mis-counted them, or something.......
__________________
Brother against brother...........
Whitewolf89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:17 PM   #184
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putrescent View Post
looks almost exactly like FF to me I find it funny how many people are saying they like this when they had a bitch fit about FF's look when this looks almost exactly like it. & I don't mind the eyes at all.
If FF was about 2K3 people would spaz over it. If anything looks 2K3ish at all they spaz over it.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:32 PM   #185
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo View Post
You need your eyes checked. 2K3 was curves. >> was angles. Since people griped about the switch from curves to angles, the angle percentage has just been heightened. Now, everyone's happy. Sound logical? Cuz I don't think so...
I just had them checked thanks mr. insulty and I'm fine with it was was fine with FF this design is pointy just like FF is especially in later episodes.
I wouldn't doubt for a second that when they get back that the present day characters will look more like the pointy looking flash back versions of themselves from FF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire666xXxXx View Post
If FF was about 2K3 people would spaz over it. If anything looks 2K3ish at all they spaz over it.
Say wha?
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:45 PM   #186
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putrescent View Post
Say wha?
If FF was in the 2K3 style, IE the turtles skin colors were the same and they didn't wear breathers I bet you people would have eaten it up.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:11 AM   #187
Masked Ninja
Doodles TMNT for fun
 
Masked Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: sploshin' through some sewer...
Posts: 2,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire666xXxXx View Post
If FF was in the 2K3 style, IE the turtles skin colors were the same and they didn't wear breathers I bet you people would have eaten it up.
You mean if they hadn't ended up looking like rejected action figure variants? ...I'll admit I would have given it a more serious chance, yes. Nixing the shiny-bright color scheme would have inspired even more initial respect. As well as ditching the "Ninja Time" catchphrase. And...

Well, I admit it would have helped, at least.
Masked Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:25 AM   #188
Whitewolf89
Freedom Fighter and Ninja
 
Whitewolf89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Currently residing in the Turtles' Lair, NYC sewer system, NYC, NY
Posts: 2,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goongasnootch View Post


Here's the look they're going for in the new season (work in progress). You can read about it more at http://the-5th-turtle.blogspot.com/
I like the look of this, pupils, or no.

Although I actually like BOTH versions...INCLUDING the NON-pupiled one (see below, curtesy of Jester (thank you, sir)):


Sans pupils.[/QUOTE]
__________________
Brother against brother...........

Last edited by Whitewolf89; 10-30-2007 at 12:40 AM.
Whitewolf89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:54 AM   #189
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Ninja View Post
You mean if they hadn't ended up looking like rejected action figure variants?
Oh like they did in Season 5?

Quote:
...I'll admit I would have given it a more serious chance, yes. Nixing the shiny-bright color scheme would have inspired even more initial respect. As well as ditching the "Ninja Time" catchphrase. And...

Well, I admit it would have helped, at least.
"Ninja Time" while annoying isn't that bad, could be worse. I always saw it as a testament to them not having to hide in the shadows anymore. Like now they can yell something before going into battle.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:00 AM   #190
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire666xXxXx View Post
If FF was in the 2K3 style, IE the turtles skin colors were the same and they didn't wear breathers I bet you people would have eaten it up.
Yeah well then we wouldnt of had much of a series then would we?
They justified the designs with a good idea and story they wouldnt have lasted very long in the future without anything they had on them.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:01 AM   #191
Ra
It's my desire?
 
Ra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: In your pants.
Posts: 4,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf89 View Post
I like the look of this, pupils, or no.

Although I actually like BOTH versions...INCLUDING the NON-pupiled one (see below, curtesy of Jester (thank you, sir)):


Sans pupils.
Hm, not bad, not bad at all. Personally, I like going pupil-less, but that's just me. Maybe they'll go pupil-less to stick to the story (Both 2k3 and FF had pupil-less versions, afterall), so we'll see. For now, though, I'm happy...
__________________

"So. The whole lot of you against little old me? How retarded."
Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:34 AM   #192
Rooish
Devil's Advocate
 
Rooish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,130
For the longest time, I preferred the Turtles without pupils. Then I watched the new movie and fell a little in love with those designs. I like this new design, I like the pupils (although ... why aren't they brown?). It looks ... really really good. Putrescent, I think it does look similar to FF, but slightly darker. Plus, FF was a step down in quality of character design from 2k3, so people freaked out about it ... if 2k3 had changed to this, people would have freaked, too. But I think this is a slight step up from FF.

I wonder if each Turtle will have a slightly different body shape, like in the movie? I hope they don't make Mike so damn skinny, although Leo looks bulkier than his movie counterpart. If they make Leo tallest (like in the movie) that might confuse the kiddies (who are used to Raph being taller in FF).

Anyway, I can't wait to see the other guys! I wonder if Leo still has his scar ... ?
__________________


Thanks evan2000 for the sig!
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:58 AM   #193
Scandia
Mad Scientist
 
Scandia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,265
I hope Leo does NOT have the scar. If it had healed by FF, there is no reason for it to be shown again. In fact, they should have removed it or at least shrank it by "Prodigal Son".

I am not going to complain about sizes. I like the animation, though I wish the faces were rounder and more contoured. But I am not protesting. I cannot wait to see more Turtles on TV.
__________________


Turtles fight with honor!!!
Scandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:37 AM   #194
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandia View Post
I hope Leo does NOT have the scar. If it had healed by FF, there is no reason for it to be shown again. In fact, they should have removed it or at least shrank it by "Prodigal Son".

I am not going to complain about sizes. I like the animation, though I wish the faces were rounder and more contoured. But I am not protesting. I cannot wait to see more Turtles on TV.
What's your problem with the scar? FF is to kiddy for you but a shell scar is to dark for you? Make up your mind.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:22 AM   #195
Scandia
Mad Scientist
 
Scandia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,265
No, it's not that. I am just saying that Leo's shell does heal. It is not permanent damage. If it had healed before the Turtles went to the future, there is no reason to bring back the damage.
__________________


Turtles fight with honor!!!
Scandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:19 AM   #196
Drtooth
Foot Elite
 
Drtooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putrescent View Post
looks almost exactly like FF to me I find it funny how many people are saying they like this when they had a bitch fit about FF's look when this looks almost exactly like it. & I don't mind the eyes at all.

I'm going to second that. It does look like FF to me. And while the initial designs of the FF characters didn't bug me too much, seeing them even more blockified and angularized in animation form kinda looked worse. To the point I think they were just making sharp angles till the head looked like a more triangular head... almost like putting a mask on this.

I think if they wanted to go for the TMNT 07 movie look, they needed to round out their heads, not make them as angular.

But somehow, this one looks pretty good in the developement stages.

I just hope if Hun comes back his head isn't the size of a peanut and he doesn't have a cat mouth.
__________________
[Insert mildly amusing banner here]
Drtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:03 AM   #197
Masked Ninja
Doodles TMNT for fun
 
Masked Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: sploshin' through some sewer...
Posts: 2,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire666xXxXx View Post
Oh like they did in Season 5?
*still hasn't seen it*

Though from what I've heard, I can see where you're coming from. When I finally watch the episodes I'll see which I think is less cheesy. They did have a decent explanation for the breathers in FF, but I still think they came off looking kinda like Power Rangers.
Masked Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:11 AM   #198
Buslady
WingsOfDarkness! Perkele!
 
Buslady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In 7803...
Posts: 4,366
too many sharp edges, what shape in his shell? square?? Leo's feet look funny, and his head is too small. Eyes or no, I don't care. As long as we can see eyes without their mask I don't care. why do they have to draw their necks like they're a separate piece? it looks like he has a collar, they've always done that tho. If they're trying to add a few movie elements, where the bridge on his shell? You can see his sides like before, in the movies they had bridges. Plastron is too small, looks like it's slapped on there to cover their front and man bits. Muscles are not sharp edged; lookit the shoulders, come on! gimem a break, they should be rounded, the arms smooth and curved with the musculature. I dunno, they're ruining their look. I know this is prelim art, I hope they smooth them out for the finals.
__________________
Buslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:34 AM   #199
Lady R. Santi
Foot Soldier
 
Lady R. Santi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: MI, USA
Posts: 108
Here, might as well show this around. I fixed some of the basic and obvious proportion issues that were, at least to me, a hang up. It was hard to look around them but with those out of the way, really, I *might* be able to live with it. Oh yeah and I got rid of the pupils too. They probably don't appreciate people reworking their art but...um...it's just easier than trying to describe it.

__________________

LadyRSanti@DeviantART
Lady R. Santi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:02 AM   #200
Cure
Y'all need Jesus
 
Cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,938
Wow, you all are picky. So much for giving this a chance. People can sure be ungrateful.
__________________
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.