The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 05:28 PM   #41
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Dawn View Post
Not that I'd be quite proud of it, either. I feel using stupidity as humor is beneath what real writers can actually do.
But that's basically how Mike is written now.

Whatever you may say or think about the OT, the NT has NOT served as the ultimate bandaid that some people make it out to be.

And the Archie series shouldn't ever, EVER be compared to the OT. I'd be more interested in knowing why that gets continually shunned.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:47 PM   #42
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by X View Post
I think the humor in the old cartoon would make more sense to an adult, then a child. In that I mean the old show had great humor, unlike some cartoons these days.
Yeah, I never though of the OT as a funny show when I was a kid, now I laugh all the time.

The one thing that chaps my ass when it comes to the OT is those damn cheap ass jokes at the end of almost every episode. For a show that I consider funny it's unbelievable how bad they are.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:46 PM   #43
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
And the Archie series shouldn't ever, EVER be compared to the OT. I'd be more interested in knowing why that gets continually shunned.
Yeah I don't get it Mirage had so much to do with the Archie series it's not even funny.
I know the other guys are constantly pushing for Archie stuff to be done but Peter always says no or turns it down.
But what Ryan Brown said about a month ago on his blog has me thinking they're up to something and Peter has calmed down about it now and realizes that he's got many great universes with the TMNT, not just one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Yeah, I never though of the OT as a funny show when I was a kid, now I laugh all the time.

The one thing that chaps my ass when it comes to the OT is those damn cheap ass jokes at the end of almost every episode. For a show that I consider funny it's unbelievable how bad they are.
hw odd me also, I never laughed once as a kid but as an adult I find so many things in the old toon funny that before went right over my head.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:51 PM   #44
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
The one thing that chaps my ass when it comes to the OT is those damn cheap ass jokes at the end of almost every episode. For a show that I consider funny it's unbelievable how bad they are.
Wasn't that common for cartoons from that time, though? I think it was mostly a device because they didn't know how else to end the episodes.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:56 PM   #45
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Wasn't that common for cartoons from that time, though? I think it was mostly a device because they didn't know how else to end the episodes.
Yes, Thundercats and g.i. joe have it also I'm pretty sure where allot of characters are together at the end and it ends with them all laughing at something.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #46
GK Punk
I'm your Devil
 
GK Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 12,439
Every Filmation cartoon did that to at the time.
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:51 AM   #47
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
And the Archie series shouldn't ever, EVER be compared to the OT. I'd be more interested in knowing why that gets continually shunned.
It was a spin-off of the classic 'toon. That seems like the only reasonable reason would treat it like a red-headed step-child.
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:59 AM   #48
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo View Post
It was a spin-off of the classic 'toon. That seems like the only reasonable reason would treat it like a red-headed step-child.
Except that when it stopped doing episode adaptations it had NOTHING in common with the cartoon.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:26 AM   #49
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,784
That's an exaggeration, and you know it. There were plenty of characters borrowed from the 'toon that appeared in the Archie series from time to time, and they more explicitly highlighted the fact when Sarnath showed up to reclaim his eye. Deny it if you want, but it's the unfortunate reality of the situation. The classic 'toon is intimately tied to the Archie comic series.
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:42 AM   #50
Jelly Bean
Stone Warrior
 
Jelly Bean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: in front of the computer
Posts: 974
And that's why Peter Laird doesn't care for it?
__________________
Quote:
it's pretty stupid that any company that specializes in serving up hot meat - specifically "Hot C*ck Meat" (Chickens? "C*cks"? Get it?) - in between a set of warm buns would have an anti-gay agenda. The irony is palpable.
-Leo656

--------

Jelly Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:50 AM   #51
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobo View Post
That's an exaggeration, and you know it. There were plenty of characters borrowed from the 'toon that appeared in the Archie series from time to time, and they more explicitly highlighted the fact when Sarnath showed up to reclaim his eye. Deny it if you want, but it's the unfortunate reality of the situation. The classic 'toon is intimately tied to the Archie comic series.
Yes but Archie took things from the cartoon and made them better and ran off doing it's own thing.
I wish the old toon could be half as good as some of the stories in the archie series.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:37 AM   #52
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
Leatherhead and the Rat King are in nearly every TMNT universe, yet I don't think you'll see people using that argument to say that the Mirage comics and the original toon are similar.

None of the characters in the Archie series, the Turtles themselves included, have the same personality as their cartoon counterparts. IMO that's the most important thing to consider when attempting to compare the two.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:10 AM   #53
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Bean View Post
And that's why Peter Laird doesn't care for it?
That's my guess. No other reason I can come up with makes half as much sense...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putrescent View Post
Yes but Archie took things from the cartoon and made them better
That's a given.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putrescent View Post
I wish the old toon could be half as good as some of the stories in the archie series.
Me too. The Archie books were all I had to keep me interested in TMNT past season three. I often wanted them to incorporate characters from the Archie books in the show, but as soon as they did, I figured out why that wasn't such a good idea...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Leatherhead and the Rat King are in nearly every TMNT universe, yet I don't think you'll see people using that argument to say that the Mirage comics and the original toon are similar.

None of the characters in the Archie series, the Turtles themselves included, have the same personality as their cartoon counterparts. IMO that's the most important thing to consider when attempting to compare the two.
I was actually referring to Krang, Bebop & Rocksteady. And, I never said the Archie books were like the classic 'toon. I'm just trying to explain why Laird might be as hard on it as he is on the cartoon. The continuity of the book was spun-off from a defamation of the characters that Laird would likely rather forget. I don't agree with it because there's no denying that TMNT Adventures was vastly superior to the TV series. It's like a Mirage remix of the show. But, just because you don't like your lineage doesn't mean you can make a new one. Comprende, amiga? (...so close to a Michaelangelo quote. Why'd ya' hafta go and be female, Rose? ) Now, had you said the two shared hardly anything in common, I wouldn't have said a thing.
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:42 PM   #54
Kendamu
Sewerhead
 
Kendamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
But that's basically how Mike is written now.

Whatever you may say or think about the OT, the NT has NOT served as the ultimate bandaid that some people make it out to be.

And the Archie series shouldn't ever, EVER be compared to the OT. I'd be more interested in knowing why that gets continually shunned.
2k3 may not be the ultimate band-aid, but stupidity can be used in a wider variety of situations than "Dude, [nsert unrelated thing here] really makes me want a pizza!" every other line out of Mikey's mouth.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:33 PM   #55
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goongasnootch View Post
2k3 may not be the ultimate band-aid, but stupidity can be used in a wider variety of situations than "Dude, [nsert unrelated thing here] really makes me want a pizza!" every other line out of Mikey's mouth.
How about not selling Mike as stupid, period?
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:58 PM   #56
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
How about not selling Mike as stupid, period?
Yeah quite frankly this is why I liked the Image series becaue for once Mike didn't get the shaft and he wasn't a friggin drolling idiot.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:05 PM   #57
cormano
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: williamsport, pa
Posts: 225
I hope it's good. I haven't been keeping up with the cartoon, or any cartoon really, for the last couple years. I just got caught up on Spectacular Spider-Man a few weeks ago, though and now I'm dying to get back into more cartoons… TMNT, of course being at the top of the list.

I like the look a lot and "Back to the Sewers" being the subtitle gives me hope…
__________________
cormano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:10 PM   #58
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 17,163
Hey, I remember you. Welcome back..!

This new season is definitely looking more and more interesting.

My only wish was that the storyline wasn't so cyber-future related. AND Splinter's been demoted to little more than a pokemon-type figure - gotta collect 'em all!
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:55 AM   #59
Drtooth
Foot Elite
 
Drtooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by GK View Post
Every Filmation cartoon did that to at the time.
And let's not forget Every Single Super Mario Super Show episode. They can easily be summed up as

Blah Blah Blah Pasta joke.

Blah Blah Blah Mario is fat, therefore likes to eat.

Mario Eating.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Fade out.

Quote:
How about not selling Mike as stupid, period?
I wouldn't mind him being the most out of the loop character, if that wasn't all that was to him recently. The way I see him is similar to Dale from Rescue rangers. Not so much stupid, as the youngest acting, and most immature. But when it comes right down to it, he'll fight as hard as any of them... just crack more jokes as he's doing it. The occassional act of cowardice, yes... we'll see that. But he's no less a hero than the others.

I always get on the same soap box about how they devolved the character in FF, but they did that with mostly eveyone anyway. I just want to see him the way I think about him, not as generic comic relief.
__________________
[Insert mildly amusing banner here]
Drtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #60
Kendamu
Sewerhead
 
Kendamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
How about not selling Mike as stupid, period?
I've only seen bits and pieces after the second season of the show (mostly the really important stuff), but I usually interpreted Mikey's "stupidity" as something he did kind of purposefully. Y'know, like telling a corny joke on purpose, only funnier. The only reason I might think this, though, is because I'll do the same thing a lot. The only big difference is that people usually know I'm joking so they laugh instead of hitting me.

So, I'm not really offended for Mikey because of the "stupid."
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.