The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #21
staypuftweepel
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 169
Tristan's stories have honestly been my favorite books for the longest time. What all do you need accomplished and what kind of help do you need?

-Gary
staypuftweepel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:36 PM   #22
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
Why would anyone NOT want to see them finished?

Even if it wasn't a story to someone's particular liking, it wouldn't do them any harm for the story to be finished.
__________________
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:31 AM   #23
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
TristanHuwJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I just don't like the idea of an ongoing series based on one particular story.
Look at it this way. It's one LARGE arc with a ******** of smaller arcs building up to what was essentially a battle that made City at War look like a walk in the park. It's not just one story either. They all weave together with an end-point in mind. There are consequences to events set in motion at particular points in the meta-arc that form their own stories. The Savanti Romero story had nothing to do with the gang wars outside of the fact that something that happens in the gang wars allows him to come back. After that, the gang wars take a whole new turn because of what happened when Romero returned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
A mini-series to wrap this up is fine, but a whole new series?
Yes. Trust me.



Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
What would you call it?
Ninja Turtles. Hasn't been done before, but immediately more recognisable than TMNT and easier/edgier than Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
And besides, how far would a new series go before it finds the same funding problems?
That all comes down to marketing, and the creative teams. Color might help, but it's not necessary. If people outside the fanbase like what's being written and how it looks, they'll pick it up. And can you imagine the noise other websites like Newsarama will make once they catch wind that a "brand new" Turtles comic is starting, NOT written by Peter Laird or Keving Eastman AND out of Mirage -- the company that made big crazy news by SELLING that property? And holy ****, it's the dark, edgy Turtles the general public craves (but never realised they already had)?! AND THE SHREDDER'S IN IT?!! ZOMG!!1!

When it comes to numbers and funding, comics rely on pre-hype and word of mouth. Make enough noise and get enough people interested -- then keep them interested -- and you're fine.

Quote:
Tristan's stories have honestly been my favorite books for the longest time. What all do you need accomplished and what kind of help do you need?

-Gary
Thanks Gary! Peter's approval I guess... That'd be it!
__________________
Still alive (somehow)...
tristansbones.bsky.social
and instagram @ instagram.com/tristans_bones
TristanHuwJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:47 AM   #24
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
Woah, I didn't realize there was a complete other page before this one. I need to stay out of the catnip.
__________________
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:06 AM   #25
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!
 
VaughnMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,833
Well if you need any help with anything just let me know Trist, I'm more than happy to help.
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:08 AM   #26
Buffy
Mad Scientist
 
Buffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: where am I?
Posts: 1,472
I would love to see the Gang Wars finished.
__________________



Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:13 AM   #27
PAAATE
Stone Warrior
 
PAAATE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 993
Ok, so should everyone begin to bomb Peter's blog with comments about this? Because I do not only want it. I need it! Not only because it's a ****ing great story, but also because I hate unfinished stories.
__________________
I'm a member. I forgot about it, so now I'm a remember.
PAAATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:21 AM   #28
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
TristanHuwJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,419
LOL! I don't think bombing anyone is a good idea! I'm sure it'll get brought up at some point, and if it happens, it happens (which would be awesome) but if it doesn't, it doesn't. Like I said, ultimately it's up to Pete.
__________________
Still alive (somehow)...
tristansbones.bsky.social
and instagram @ instagram.com/tristans_bones
TristanHuwJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:22 AM   #29
jaymq
Hench Mutant
 
jaymq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 435
I'm even must more intrigued after reading that post, Tristan. I'd get the comics one way or another for sure. Your stories are some of my favorites.

I dunno if I wanna hop on the 'bug laird' bandwagon though, I've never spoken to the man before and would feel weird harassing him after he's finally gotten the much-deserved break (even though, I wish he'd waited 'til after a majority of projects were completed. rawr!)
__________________
Nom
jaymq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:25 AM   #30
TristanHuwJones
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
TristanHuwJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,419
No, I don't condone it either. I'm sure the Turtles will eventually come back through Mirage in one way or another, and even then Pete may have very little to do with it (or vice versa). I'm just saying it's pretty much out of my hands beyond what I hold on to from that time.
__________________
Still alive (somehow)...
tristansbones.bsky.social
and instagram @ instagram.com/tristans_bones
TristanHuwJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:39 AM   #31
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
How has this gone from completing a story arc to launching a brand new series?

I'm over Mirage publishing comics and I really don't believe anything new could overcome the same troubles they've always run into. And technically Mirage has no staff. No reason to dig the grave deeper than it already is.

I do have very high hopes for what we could see of the Turtles out of a new studio, though. Very high hopes.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:45 AM   #32
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
It's stuff like this that makes me a bit conflicted. I'm totally in support of this happening... but everyone knows I'm not a contributor. I've turned down so many things here at the Drome from collaborations to contests. My entries to the custom figure contests were simply because I was already doing something to begin with.

Then we have the fact that whenever I actually have gotten some virtual one-on-one time with any of the big names over at Mirage, I usually have gotten the feeling like they basically wanted to say "Buzz off, kid." even upon simply introducing myself.

I see folks around here actually working on what are/may be officially sanctioned TMNT products (whether it be an art pin-up or revitalizing a dead project), or fan projects (blogs, documentaries, videos) and I kind of feel like I want to be a part of it, but then I realize that A) I'm not much of a contributor, B) I have no talent, and C) There's already a swarm of people working on this thing or waiting in line to do it, and me being there isn't going to change anything.

So as far as maybe yelling in the right direction once it's been pointed out, and buying the thing once it's on shelves, I'm totally there. Everything outside of that... I'm better off vetoing.
__________________
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:51 AM   #33
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ninjinister View Post
B) I have no talent
Did you know that as a native speaker of the English language you are an expert on the English language? Fact.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:26 AM   #34
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Did you know that as a native speaker of the English language you are an expert on the English language? Fact.
Wuh?

I think I need to go to bed because I have no idea what you just said....


zzzz
__________________
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:33 AM   #35
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ninjinister View Post
Wuh?

I think I need to go to bed because I have no idea what you just said....


zzzz
Seriously. The way your brain has wired itself to understand the English language makes you an expert on it. You may not be an expert at expressing it through great grammer, writing, and or speaking, but when it comes to English itself, you're an expert.

Anywho, the point is: Everyone has talents.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:37 AM   #36
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Seriously. The way your brain has wired itself to understand the English language makes you an expert on it. You may not be an expert at expressing it through great grammer, writing, and or speaking, but when it comes to English itself, you're an expert.

Anywho, the point is: Everyone has talents.
I think I might have meant a talent that would come in handy with one of these... project... majiggies... why am I not in bed yet?
__________________
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:53 AM   #37
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,213
If they're just going to wrap up the Gang Wars, the best way to do it would be in a graphic novel. Just call it "Tales of the TMNT Collected Books volume 6".

But yeah, new series would be cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanHuwJones View Post
That all comes down to marketing, and the creative teams. Color might help, but it's not necessary. If people outside the fanbase like what's being written and how it looks, they'll pick it up. And can you imagine the noise other websites like Newsarama will make once they catch wind that a "brand new" Turtles comic is starting, NOT written by Peter Laird or Keving Eastman AND out of Mirage -- the company that made big crazy news by SELLING that property? And holy ****, it's the dark, edgy Turtles the general public craves (but never realised they already had)?! AND THE SHREDDER'S IN IT?!! ZOMG!!1!
If Harmon and/or Ponce is doing the art, I think color would hurt lol. But everything else, great points.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #38
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
I pretty much echo what's already been said.

I would love to see the arc completed like you wouldn't believe, but I can't conceive of a practical way to do it.

As much as I love them, Mirage is not a good publisher and they rely on some of the most outdated and bone-headed business practices known to man. Plus, as has been mentioned, they're operating on a skeleton crew, anyway.


The only way I can see this getting done is if a different publisher (whoever Nick licenses to) feel "encouraged" to continue on in continuity and maybe wrap this arc up. It's not entirely unheard of, I suppose.

Right now, IDW has their own brand new ongoing GI Joe series, but they're also starting up a continuation of the original Marvel series, even carrying on the original number at #156 (and ignoring all of the Devil's Due series).

It's rare, but not unheard of.


We could try "bugging" Laird, but I wouldn't recommend it. The guy comes across as, well, bitter. As in, if you ask him to do something, he'll dot he opposite simply out of spite. So I imagine annoying him with requests would be counter-productive.

So I'm at a loss as to WHAT could be done to see a conclusion published. Mirage could try and publish it themselves, but it would just suffer all the same problems and setbacks that everything ELSE they've published over the past 10 years have.

And don't expect to see any potential collected version in book stores.


You have my support Tristan, even if I do sound like a total killjoy. If something can be worked out, I'll support it as best I can.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #39
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanHuwJones View Post
Ninja Turtles. Hasn't been done before, but immediately more recognisable than TMNT and easier/edgier than Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
But then people will think its a new continuity, which it is not. The problem is the Gang Wars story continues from City at War, which has to my knowledge never been reprinted since the 90's.

And if a new publisher not named Mirage does get the TMNT license, why would they want to continue off an existing story? The editors will probably want a "clean slate" so new readers could hop aboard, unlike this where half the story is in Volume 1 and the other half is in Tales.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:41 PM   #40
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
Question: Was this originally posted to this board to see if there was support as something similar to what Andrew is trying to do with Volume 3? If so, I think you need to go read the entirety of that thread again.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.