The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 12:39 AM   #761
Mutagen
Random Punk
 
Mutagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 32
Hello everyone.

Well, Im a little late to the party but it was just yesterday that I finally saw Turtles Forever. Why so late?

In short: Like most of you guys, I grew up with TMNT. The first 3 seasons were fantastic. Imaginative, adventurous, filled with fleshed out characters and terrific villains. One thing for sure about the 80s - it was the most imaginative and over the top (in a good way) decade for the pop culture in general.
We know how the series degenerated later on so no need to mention that

When Ive heard about the new 4kids TMNT coming up I thought its gonna be an updated version of the classic but as we know it really wasnt. It was very, very different. Fine, lets give it a chance. Not to offend anyone, sicnce theres plenty of fans of the 03 TMNT, but IMO this is god awful. It doesnt stick out at all from all the other countless modern cartoons that all look and feel alike. Stock characters, stock villains (replace Shredder with any other modern cartoon villains and you get the same peronality), horrible design, no originality, no "flash" and the terrible, anime-like squar-ish, blocky animation. Im sorry but thats just how I felt about it. I thought the new Shredder and the characters were completely uninteresting althought Ill give them a praise for trying something completely different. After seeing that I just lost interest in the franchise because I knew the new generation will think of that cartoon when theyll think of TMNT and I didnt want anyone to think Im a fan of THIS series. Never liked the modern cartoons and their blocky animation and TMNT is this yet another by-the-book series. Darker? Sure, but darker doesnt mean better by any stretch. Light or Dark is just types of the story. Its a preference. None of them means better or worse. And more in touch with the roots? I strongly disagree. Besides, being more reverential to the origins has absolutely nothing to do with quality.

So I stayed away from all the current whereabout of the franchise after it took that road (and again, I dont mind anyone liking 03 version at all, and I can even see how it may interest some. Im just saying its not my cup of tea), and by accident I just heard about the Turtles Forever cartoon yesterday. My first thought was "if its written by the same people doing that new cartoon and - even worse - if its animated by the same people then I feel sorry for the old characters to be portrayed in that way". But then Ive heard something wonderful - all the reviews were phenomenal and mentioned the original styled animation of the OT characters. Its funny because virtually every review was the same - it praised the movie but had one major complaint - an overly comical portrayal of the OT characters

So heres my review:

I have to split it in two because half a movie will get one opinion and the second half will get a different one

1. From the start to rebuilding Technodrome

All I can say is wow. IMO the quality of the cartoons degenerated to a disastrous level for the past decade with very few exceptions, so for me to say that I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement. It was so great to see the old characters again and extremely fun to see them in this modern, more realistic environment and interact with their newer versions. Sure, the portrayal is way too comical but Im sure its not done with disrespect. They just needed a bigger contrast than they would get with the real OT Turtles and had to downplay OT Shredder's abilities a little for the same purpose. Again, the animation was spot on. I have a problem with Shredder jumping on Krang since its not how their relationship was, but thats ok, I can look past that

2. From New Technodrome emerging to the end

Meh. New technodrome design is just terrible and from then on the story shifts and morphs into a regular 03 TMNT episode. Didnt reallycare for the Mirage TMNT sicne I never liked that incarnation of TMNT to begin with. It just didnt do it for me in its second half. The old villains' role was heavily reduced and the story basically became like this: 03 Turtles fighting 03 Shredder, with OT turtles tagging along and occasional cameos by OT villains.

Overall tho, its certainly the best cartoon since the pilot episode of the new 02 He-Man. It was a great concept with a very good execution and terrific retro animation

Last edited by Mutagen; 05-25-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Mutagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:47 AM   #762
Teddy
Hench Mutant
 
Teddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 368
Well, everyone's entitled to their opinion, Mutagen.

I have to admit, I hated the 2k3 series for a long time as well. Really it was because I had NO idea what was going on the very few times I caught it on TV. I'd watch a few minutes and be like WTF, and change the channel. I hated the design of the characters and that it was nothing like the OT that I grew up on. But then, my boyfriend convinced me to give it a chance and watch it from the beginning. He was positive I'd love it if I knew what the hell was going on. He had every episode through the end of Season 5, so we watched it and...now I love it! I got over my issues with the animation and was delighted by all the little storylines/characters/details pulled from the OT and the movies.

Thankfully, Turtles Forever came out after I'd seen the entire 2k3 series, so I knew what was going on and loved that as well. It was so awesome to see the OT turtles together with the 2k3 generation. The Mirage turtles were awesome as well, but I'm really not familiar with them at all. Still, it was a great movie and homage to the turtle empire.
__________________
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #763
Mutagen
Random Punk
 
Mutagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
I had NO idea what was going on the very few times I caught it on TV. I'd watch a few minutes and be like WTF, and change the channel. I hated the design of the characters

Well that certainly plays a factor but at the same time its yet another negative from the new show. Older cartoons didnt expect you to know every minutia of the story and you could dive in anytime. In NT you have to follow the storyline from the beginning to at least have a basic understanding of whats going on and whos who.

Still, I dont think following the storyline carefully would make much of a difference for me. The show seems very by the book. It heavily resembles Teen Titans, the new anime-styled Batman and SpiderMan, Ben 10 and many others, and not only with the animation style (which I really dislike too, all the squary feature and the bodies of bodybuilders - huge arms and torsos and normal legs), but with the feel too. Its in the same basket with all those other faceless, paint by numbers cartoons that come out these days. The characters are stock characters too. Swap personalities of the new Turtles with just about any teens from some other cartoon show, like maybe Teen Titans and there wont be much of a difference. Not to even mention Shredder who is absolutely empty and acts like every other big bad villain in modern cartoons

If someone enjoys the 03 show thats even better because then you have 2 series to enjoy instead of one. For me unfortunately, its just not my cup of tea. And again, I dont condem the show for being different. I actually think its a major plus that they did something totally new and unrelated rather than milking the classic show and its characters. But the execution and the feel is just nothing special or original at all

Last edited by Mutagen; 05-25-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Mutagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #764
TMNTbrotha65
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 43
Sigh... no one will ever understand the 2k3 series the way it should be understood. both OT and NT were great. just because the NT was more serious and more dark than the OT doesnt mean it was a bad show. I feel that since it didnt have what the OT had, people let that blind them from seeing how good the NT was. whatever who cares. bottom line, every incarnation of the turtles kicked shell. nuff said (except for that GOD awful next mutations. Power rangers + Ninja Turtles equals epic fail)
TMNTbrotha65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:33 PM   #765
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutagen View Post
I have a problem with Shredder jumping on Krang since its not how their relationship was, but thats ok, I can look past that
They attacked eachother a few times in the OT... watch the season 3 finale.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #766
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,784
Oh, damn. He said that? Had I read it first... Bottom line: that's EXACTLY how their relationship was. The portrayal of OT wasn't entirely accurate (or even close) in some places, but this isn't one of them.
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #767
Turo602
The King of Kings
 
Turo602's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chicago Illinois
Posts: 2,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTbrotha65 View Post
Sigh... no one will ever understand the 2k3 series the way it should be understood. both OT and NT were great. just because the NT was more serious and more dark than the OT doesnt mean it was a bad show. I feel that since it didnt have what the OT had, people let that blind them from seeing how good the NT was. whatever who cares. bottom line, every incarnation of the turtles kicked shell. nuff said (except for that GOD awful next mutations. Power rangers + Ninja Turtles equals epic fail)
That's how I feel.
__________________
Turo602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:32 PM   #768
Mutagen
Random Punk
 
Mutagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTbrotha65 View Post
just because the NT was more serious and more dark than the OT doesnt mean it was a bad show.
I completely agree. That is not however , why I dont find the 03 show appealing

Quote:
I feel that since it didnt have what the OT had, people let that blind them from seeing how good the NT was.
Cant speak for others but I already explained why I dont like it:

The show seems very by the book. It heavily resembles Teen Titans, the new anime-styled Batman and SpiderMan, Ben 10 and many others, and not only with the animation style (which I really dislike too, all the squary feature and the bodies of bodybuilders - huge arms and torsos and normal legs), but with the feel too. Its in the same basket with all those other faceless, paint by numbers cartoons that come out these days. The characters are stock characters too. Swap personalities of the new Turtles with just about any teens from some other cartoon show, like maybe Teen Titans and there wont be much of a difference. Not to even mention Shredder who is absolutely empty and acts like every other big bad villain in modern cartoons

Quote:
whatever who cares. bottom line, every incarnation of the turtles kicked shell. nuff said (except for that GOD awful next mutations. Power rangers + Ninja Turtles equals epic fail)
I only like the first 3, maybe 4 seasons of the original TMNT. the Archie comic books and the first two movies

Last edited by Mutagen; 05-25-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Mutagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:57 PM   #769
Koi
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutagen View Post
cant speak for others but i already explained why i dont like it:

the show seems very by the book. It heavily resembles teen titans, the new anime-styled batman and spiderman, ben 10 and many others, and not only with the animation style (which i really dislike too, all the squary feature and the bodies of bodybuilders - huge arms and torsos and normal legs), but with the feel too. Its in the same basket with all those other faceless, paint by numbers cartoons that come out these days. The characters are stock characters too. Swap personalities of the new turtles with just about any teens from some other cartoon show, like maybe teen titans and there wont be much of a difference. Not to even mention shredder who is absolutely empty and acts like every other big bad villain in modern cartoons
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3
Koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #770
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,685
I can overlook Shredder attacking Krang as Krang finally pushing his last nerve. Shredder always saw himself as a great villian, only working for Krang for his technology, and was always ready to betray him the moment it seemed he had the upperhand and didn't need him anymore.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:33 AM   #771
dingodile555
Random Punk
 
dingodile555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTbrotha65 View Post
Sigh... no one will ever understand the 2k3 series the way it should be understood. both OT and NT were great. just because the NT was more serious and more dark than the OT doesnt mean it was a bad show. I feel that since it didnt have what the OT had, people let that blind them from seeing how good the NT was. whatever who cares. bottom line, every incarnation of the turtles kicked shell. nuff said (except for that GOD awful next mutations. Power rangers + Ninja Turtles equals epic fail)
I liked Next Mutation!
*shot*

To be honest I was always a fan of the live action Turtles more than the animated series. I enjoyed what I saw of Turtles Forever on YouTube and thought it was amazing but for some reason I had to quit watching it suddenly and never went back to it.
dingodile555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #772
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold
 
TheCanadiandrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Posts: 19,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNTbrotha65 View Post
Sigh... no one will ever understand the 2k3 series the way it should be understood. both OT and NT were great. just because the NT was more serious and more dark than the OT doesnt mean it was a bad show. I feel that since it didnt have what the OT had, people let that blind them from seeing how good the NT was. whatever who cares. bottom line, every incarnation of the turtles kicked shell. nuff said (except for that GOD awful next mutations. Power rangers + Ninja Turtles equals epic fail)
yeah. i didn't like the 2k3 series at all at first, but now i dig it. maybe not as much as i dig the OT, but i do want to get it all on dvd
__________________


Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #773
Mutagen
Random Punk
 
Mutagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
They attacked eachother a few times in the OT... watch the season 3 finale.

Not to this extent tho. Shredder and Krang hated each other but Krang always had an upper hand. Even in the above mentioned episode Shredder just pushed his hands away and by the end of the episode got his ass kicked by Krang for his failure. Shredder feared Krang and even with all the talkback he would never attack Krang like this
Mutagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #774
tone-master21
Mad Scientist
 
tone-master21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,152
Turtles Forever is going to air again this Saturday.

http://www.4kids.tv/buzz/view/just-o...s-forever-sa-2
__________________
tone-master21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #775
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutagen View Post
Not to this extent tho. Shredder and Krang hated each other but Krang always had an upper hand. Even in the above mentioned episode Shredder just pushed his hands away and by the end of the episode got his ass kicked by Krang for his failure. Shredder feared Krang and even with all the talkback he would never attack Krang like this
Dude... Krang was in his fuc*ing Android suit when that happened and in his bubble walker during the Turtles Forever squabble, see the difference?
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:32 PM   #776
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold
 
TheCanadiandrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Posts: 19,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone-master21 View Post
Turtles Forever is going to air again this Saturday.

http://www.4kids.tv/buzz/view/just-o...s-forever-sa-2
nice. already gots it on dvr
__________________


Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #777
jaymq
Hench Mutant
 
jaymq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 435
Ugh. I really hate sites that only advertise their videos in certain countries.
__________________
Nom
jaymq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #778
Mutagen
Random Punk
 
Mutagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Dude... Krang was in his fuc*ing Android suit when that happened and in his bubble walker during the Turtles Forever squabble, see the difference?
And when Krang was out of the suit Shredder never slapped him around either. If he would, he would be a dog meat after that. Banished from technodrome and attacked by Krang's foot soldiers or his Dimension X soldiers
Mutagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #779
HalfcourtGame
Hench Mutant
 
HalfcourtGame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tany
Posts: 308
Dang my Dish Network isn't carrying any CW stations. I would love to be able to watch this on something other than youtube....
__________________
Please Help Me Complete My Collection

I need Scratch!
MOC or loose complete
and Devil Shredder
MIB
HalfcourtGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #780
Mutagen
Random Punk
 
Mutagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 32
Any guesses on when it will be available on DVD?
Mutagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
4kids, episode discussion, fred wolf series


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.