The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #21
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk
 
Sage Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 3,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryukenden View Post
Raph being sarcastic and having one-liners is fine but I certainly don't want him to be a yes-man to Leo.
when was Raphael ever a yes man to Leo? He wasn't like that even in the classic toon.
__________________

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight--for him!

Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
________________________________
http://frankviola.org/2012/01/30/godsviewofawoman/
_______________________________
http://nox-artemis.tumblr.com/post/4...k-and-feminism
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #22
Sun Baked Records
Random Punk
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 31
I prefer the 2003 Raph to the 1988 one. I like the angry side of his personality and I think it sets him apart from his brothers in a positive way. Hopefully they continue that in the series.
Sun Baked Records is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:20 PM   #23
Krys
Thug
 
Krys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NZ
Posts: 58
More sarcastic wit, less angst please.
__________________
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #24
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk
 
Sage Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 3,926
as long as they don't make him a bully I'll be happy.
__________________

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight--for him!

Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
________________________________
http://frankviola.org/2012/01/30/godsviewofawoman/
_______________________________
http://nox-artemis.tumblr.com/post/4...k-and-feminism
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:56 AM   #25
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Ninja View Post
when was Raphael ever a yes man to Leo? He wasn't like that even in the classic toon.
In the OT, I think he was. He never had any aspirations to lead (Take me to your leader ep showed that), and rarely questioned Leo on anything or any of his decisions, 'cept for probably Leonoardo Lighten's Up (or whatever the name of the ep was). I don't think he particularly cared, just like the other two whenever it came to Leo's orders.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:29 AM   #26
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk
 
Sage Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 3,926
just because he didn't care about the decsions made in the team doesn't mean he was a yes man, and he never passed up an oppertunity to call Leonardo out when something went wrong or quip as his expence. When I think of a yes man I think of an ass kisser which OT Raphael certainly was not.
__________________

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight--for him!

Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
________________________________
http://frankviola.org/2012/01/30/godsviewofawoman/
_______________________________
http://nox-artemis.tumblr.com/post/4...k-and-feminism
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:08 AM   #27
Krys
Thug
 
Krys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NZ
Posts: 58
When I think of a yes man I think of the Jim Carrey movie.
I agree that Raphael was less confrontational in the OT series, but that was because he was more sarcastic than hot-headed. But he did offer the sarcastic retort towards Leo now and then, and he was usually reluctant to follow his plans and never passed up the chance to gloat whenever Leo's plans backfired....so I don't think that sums up a yes man.

So yea basically what Sage said XD
__________________
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #28
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored
 
***First of Two Latin Kings***'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Farm That Time Forgot
Posts: 8,841
Raphael in the Old Toon and Chandler Bing from "Friends" are the same character.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets



International shipping assistance: [email protected]
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #29
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***CJJ*** View Post
Raphael in the Old Toon and Chandler Bing from "Friends" are the same character.
I guess that explains why Chandler is my favorite Friend....
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #30
Koi
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,787
I have always loved Joey and Phoebe the best.

Wasn't Raph's personality already explained for this show?
Koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #31
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored
 
***First of Two Latin Kings***'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: The Farm That Time Forgot
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I guess that explains why Chandler is my favorite Friend....
Mine too. But I didn't like what you said about my Slash
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets



International shipping assistance: [email protected]
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #32
Sage Ninja
Band of the Hawk
 
Sage Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 3,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***CJJ*** View Post
Raphael in the Old Toon and Chandler Bing from "Friends" are the same character.
one of these days, I'm gonna have to give Friends a shot.
__________________

Cassandra: You won't fight me, but will you fight--for him!

Cassandra's Revenge

~Tangled the Series
________________________________
http://frankviola.org/2012/01/30/godsviewofawoman/
_______________________________
http://nox-artemis.tumblr.com/post/4...k-and-feminism
Sage Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #33
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
If I didn't already have such a huge DVD collection I'd buy the complete series!
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:05 AM   #34
Buslady
WingsOfDarkness! Perkele!
 
Buslady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In 7803...
Posts: 4,366
not that im gonna watch it but raph's got a soft side they rarely ever show. he aint all badass
__________________
Buslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:13 AM   #35
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buslady View Post
not that im gonna watch it but raph's got a soft side they rarely ever show. he aint all badass
Come on, BL. I figured you to be one to give it a chance at least, before discounting it completely.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:46 AM   #36
ChetTurtle
Foot Soldier
 
ChetTurtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Heidelberg, Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 127
i think Raph has been sarcastic in every incarnation except for maybe Comics (mirage and others I haven't read), with varying degrees of anger (except for OT). I think it's more about ratios than which particular traits.

P.S.I actually think a great way to go would be Danny from Hawaii Five-0 (the new one) with a little more anger (he gets pretty fired up though sometimes).
__________________
"Oh man! I slept on my hand and it go numb and hit my face and I thought some body slapped me! Don't ya hate that?"-Michaelangelo, The Shredder Strikes Back Part 1



Last edited by ChetTurtle; 06-16-2011 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Added P.S.
ChetTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:39 AM   #37
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetTurtle View Post
i think Raph has been sarcastic in every incarnation except for maybe Comics (mirage and others I haven't read), with varying degrees of anger (except for OT). I think it's more about ratios than which particular traits.
Raph actually has a bit of a temper in the OT.

"Shut up and push" "OUTTA MY FACE JERK" and other somewhat uncommon moments are good examples of that.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:46 AM   #38
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Raph actually has a bit of a temper in the OT.

"Shut up and push" "OUTTA MY FACE JERK" and other somewhat uncommon moments are good examples of that.
And let's not forget my personal favorite:
"You'd better or else I'm gonna get sarcastic."
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #39
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
One of my fav OT Raph moments was in the ep Combat Land.

Nerd: You wouldn't hit a guy with glasses, would you?
Raph: No, but then those aren't glasses. They're magnifying lenses. *Punches*

Here's another from The Bigg Zipp Attack.

Leo: Guys, do you hear something?
Raph: No, but as soon as I finish cleaning up this mess, Donatello's gonna hear plenty.

He was annoyed because he had to clean and how it was Donatello's fault. No one else was upset or complaining over it.

Hm, Star Child ep has another Raph moment I liked. A Raph line to show he has kind of an I don't care attitude, you annoy me and I'm going to let you know it, consequences be darned!

Star Child: You tricked me! Everybody hates me!
Mikey: No little dude, honest!
Raph: (Raising his hand) Wh-whoa, wait, hold on. I-I hate him.

It's all throughout the OT series that compared to the other three, he's the most short-patient of them. Seems he throws his Sai in anger and annoyance a lot too, but could be my imagination as far as the OT series go. In Mr. Nice Guy, he's referred to having a nasty personality by the other three. He's short-patient and quick to get annoyed and when he stops being nice, he gets mad at the doctor. Oh, can we not forget this scene that I made a clip of a few months ago...



Yeah, OT Raph did have temper issues, just not to the extent that he was for the other mediums he was portrayed in. That clip and some of the other stuff mentioned above is why I loved Raph so much for the OT series as a kid. lol

Last edited by ssjup81; 06-16-2011 at 01:03 PM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:27 AM   #40
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buslady View Post
not that im gonna watch it but raph's got a soft side they rarely ever show. he aint all badass
Of course Raph has a soft side, and we do see it from time to time. But I think that's what makes it extra special for Raph, is that we don't see that side of him often. One of my favorite moments with him, is when he helps Leo make new swords after Leo's near walk with death thanks to the Shredder.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.