The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 08:20 AM   #101
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 22,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Plenty of people would love the TMNT source material if they were made aware of it
The source material has had years, hell a whole decade, to be accepted by the general public. Nobody cares. Nobody ever WILL care. You know why? Because the source material isnt all that interesting and doesnt leave much to the imagination to begin with. Once you tell the first issue's story, you've basicly told it all. The rest of the time it's just a generic grimdark Daredevil knock-off with the occasional alien popping up. By the time Peter Laird got around to giving the franchise's comic book elements more of a unique sci-fi and fantasy voice (which is what made the 4Kids cartoon stick out because f*ck knows nothing else would have), virtually noone was picking up volume four and hardly anyone watched the 2007 TMNT movie. Hell the last two seasons of the 4Kids cartoons were devoted to making the show as cheesy and lighter toned as the Fred Wolf toon. And it failed miserably at it.

Quote:
Watered down cartoon versions don't really count.
In this case, it certaingly does.

Quote:
A movie or animation done like the original comic series would probably intrigue people.
You still living in that warped fantasy world of yours where more than just a niche group of fanboys care about the comics?

Quote:
The general public might not have cared for anything of Batman but the Adam West series but that eventually changed when someone decided to show people what the real Batman was about..
Define "real" please. The most recent Batman animated series, "The Brave and The Bold" was a valentine to the cheesetastic Silver Age and was a hit. That was educating a whole new generation on what Batman was about in an age between the dark early days and the darker latter days. It should be noted that the people behind Batman: TAS had a lot to do with BATB. Bstman has more than one interpretation, and one isnt any less "real" than the other. They all have merit and contribute greatly to the overall success of the brand.

A game based on the original 'toon (OR, better still, the Archie comics), would very likely acheive the same goal, educating and entertaining new generations with a far broader range of interesting and quirkier characters. More than the Mirage comics' uninteresting and limited line-up.

The source material has had it's day in the sun. Other than the breifest of sparks that launched the brand, it hasnt consistently lit the world on fire. And it never will. Time to move on, lord knows that's what IDW and Nick are doing.

Quote:
The legacy of OT won't hover over the franchise forever.
With films like "Turtles Forever" and the use of The Kranng in the Nick cartoon, you're going to have to wait a LONG time before the spectre of the most succesful and most memorable version of the franchise fades from people's minds.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 01-25-2012 at 08:39 AM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #102
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
EDIT: What's really funny is how all the game sites are reporting that the game will "reflect the tone of the original comics," which apparently includes Bebop, Rocksteady, Krang, the Turtle Blimp, and a Hamato Yoshi turned Splinter. Yeah... sounds really reliable.
I hear you, but minus the Turtle Blimp (and although I don't like B & R too much) I believe you can capture the tone of the comics still with those characters intact - just not exactly as they were back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
The source material has had years, hell a whole decade, to be accepted by the general public. Nobody cares. Nobody ever WILL care. You know why? Because the source material isnt all that interesting and doesnt leave much to the imagination to begin with.
Ladies and gents, the prophet has spoken! He knows everything. I think we should start a group devoted entirely to Zarius. ZARIUS! ZARIUS! Huzzah!
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #103
The Stryker
Stupid Rich
 
The Stryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Room 237
Posts: 11,152
Well he IS right.

And I don't even like Zarius.
__________________

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #104
Donnie
Something from the Past
 
Donnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 3,256
Haha, well I think he's sadly (in my opinion) right about this...

Quote:
With films like "Turtles Forever" and the use of The Kranng in the Nick cartoon, you're going to have to wait a LONG time before the spectre of the most succesful and most memorable version of the franchise fades from people's minds.
But that's about it. The rest is all his opinion.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #105
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 22,405


And it's HARDLY "sad" that the world will wait years for the spectre of the Fred Wolf toon to fade, considering that's really all the mainstream want and ought to get.

Last edited by ZariusTwo; 01-25-2012 at 10:12 AM.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #106
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
People will like anything if it's done properly. If a comics driven TMNT movie or series was pushed into light it would not go ignored simply because you think no one else likes anything but the old cartoon. I've spoken to plenty of casual fans who think the old comic looks cool and they all like the idea of a more violent turtles. People grow up and sometimes they want their childhood to grow up too. Constantly pushing the franchise in a lighter direction just because of a 20+ year old cartoon that's never been re-aired and most kids alive today have never even saw seems pretty silly to me. The comic has seen a healthy amount of collections from the first batch of issues and issue #1 has been handed out on free comic day more then once so it's not like it was lost in the hallows of time. They're at a point where they could really do anything they want with it. Laird clearly wanted to push it in a more comic style direction, for the new film at least, I can see Viacom has other ideas. I won't argue what will make them more money I just say what I'd prefer to see.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #107
Gyt Kaliba
Stone Warrior
 
Gyt Kaliba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 770
Here's another 'citation' of the rumor, that I don't think was posted yet.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/01/24...ily-fix-012412

I understand it's nothing but a rumor right now, but I'm really hoping it does turn out to be true. I'd love it if it were. I haven't played the Arkham games yet mind you, but I've heard great things about them and they look awesome (and I'm not talking graphically, I for one could honestly care less about graphics for the most part).

I mean, I never realized it until now but...I'd love a TMNT game with a little stealth element. They are ninja after all.
__________________
My FanFiction
Gyt Kaliba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #108
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
The source material has had years, hell a whole decade, to be accepted by the general public. Nobody cares. Nobody ever WILL care. You know why?
Because it's easier for the bean counters to take a chance on something that made a lot of money once and sold a lot of toys to toddlers and tweens than take chance on something that only ever sold comics.

And that's all.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #109
MoreCowbell5263
Hench Mutant
 
MoreCowbell5263's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 300
Rocksteady to make Ninja Turtle Video Game (RUMOR)

Hey guys,

Somebody posted this on my facebook page and I thought I'd share it with you. Rocksteady is the company that has done the recent Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City video games, and apparently, their next game will be based on the Ninja Turtles (not Superman, which is where most speculation was). It's apparently gonna be darker and grittier (like Batman) with stuff like smoke bombs, grappling hooks, footspikes, but it'll be based on the old cartoon show with characters like Krang, Bebop, and Rocksteady (go figure).

Here's a quote from the link:
" - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Manhattan Crisis is the alleged name of the title.
- Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael, and Michelangelo are the four playable characters, each with their own varied move set and weapon of choice (sword, bo staff, sai, and nunchucku…respectively).
- Flashbacks are played as Master Splinter/Hamato Yoshi.
- Shurikens, smoke bombs, grappling hooks, and climbing foot spikes.
- Gameplay and story/stage progression similar to Batman: Arkham City.
- Classic characters such as Bebop and Rocksteady (warthog and rhinoceros), Dr. Baxter Stockman, Shredder (Oroku Saki), and Krang act as bosses and in the case of the humans-turned-mutants, you fight them in both forms throughout the story.
- The Turtle Van and Turtle Blimp will be present and with them and other gadgets, the Wii U build is expected to have touch screen controls for specific actions.
- Multiplayer is unknown.
- Graphics engine used is that of Arkham City.
- The game is expected to be more dark than slapstick, but the turtles themselves and their interactions with the Foot Clan, bosses, and story characters like April O’Neil and Casey Jones will still have comedy attached.
- Purportedly being in development for Wii U, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3.
- Careful selection of voice actors to bring the universe to life as well as Rocksteady did with their two Batman games.
- Manhattan Crisis shares a similar name to the 1991/1992 NES title, “The Manhattan Project”, but is very much its own title."

Here's the link:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=53306

Being a Superman fan, I was hoping their next game would be Superman, but Ninja Turtles need a good non-movie/TV show based game as well, so I'm still pretty happy. I do hope they do a Superman game somewhere down the line, though.

How do you guys feel with it being dark but based on the campy cartoon a lot of us grew up with? Is Arkham City a good template for a TMNT game?

I'm excited, but I'll wait until some more info (or confirmation even) is out. It is a rumor, but a rumor with a lot of info behind it.
__________________
Hope these guys aren't lumberjacks!
No joke...the only thing safe in the woods...would be the trees!
MoreCowbell5263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #110
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...t=36218&page=4

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=36260

So far it's just a very loose rumor
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #111
MoreCowbell5263
Hench Mutant
 
MoreCowbell5263's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 300
Yeah, I found where it's being talked about, didn't see it earlier when I looked. My apologies.
__________________
Hope these guys aren't lumberjacks!
No joke...the only thing safe in the woods...would be the trees!
MoreCowbell5263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #112
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 11,189
I thought the previous thread was just a fan making up a thread about what he wanted to see in a video game. I know how rumors are and know that the TMNT Smash Up didn't live up to the character roster it was advertised so I won't beam with joy yet,but if it is true then it would be my TMNT dream come reality. The original cartoon made into a modern interactive game! Yet I must wait for further proof of the development! Thanks for the heads up. I do like the irony of the game maker's name but maybe that can add to the just a false rumor thing?
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #113
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist
 
Mr._Mutant_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,340
Until I see something more definite, I'm just going to assume that it sounds too good to be true.
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #114
LEOTMNT
Thug
 
LEOTMNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: upstate
Posts: 91
All of you guys have extremely valid points and much of the truth is sad...


That said, this is more of my mind wandering but spitfire mentioned it too...It is also wise perhaps to view it as its own piece of work capable of drawing new fans solely from a solid video game.( that's assuming it is, and ever can be. solid) There are a few games around that have large fan bases that have absolutely no material to work with other then what game creators put into it. Not that im comparing god no lets not go there again...haha but there can be games made that sell themselves, and this could be no different. PLUS it already has some following however "insignificant" or "casual" which is still worth something. For what its worth, it seems like a lot of people around the web are making a big deal about it so that's gotta mean someone else is digging it right?? IGN sold that for me if it came out of Naomi whatevers mouth its getting heard by hundreds maybe a thousand or so people? who weather they like it or not is prob thinking TMNT and arkham asylum creator?! COWABUNGA!! <--this hurts me too. but true?? i have faith!!! TURTLE POWER!! NINE.POINT. NINE-FIVEEEEE!!

yeah yeah im delusional...
.
__________________
T-U-R-T-L-E POWER
LEOTMNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #115
Peanut
Second Gear
 
Peanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The New World
Posts: 15,422
ITT: People talking about video games who don't know **** about video games and people who can't accept that the TMNT comics will always be niche.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #116
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
ITT: People talking about video games who don't know **** about video games and people who can't accept that the TMNT comics will always be niche.
I'm well resolved to the probably-fact that the TMNT comics will always be niche.

But it shouldn't be.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:52 AM   #117
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior
 
Konchadunga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 912
I'm not sure exactly how likely this is. On the one hand, being set in a different universe than the Nick show could make the concept confusing to some players. (I certainly don't remember any games based on the OT during the run of the 2003 show.) On the other, assuming the bit about the more adult-oriented nature of the game is true, then appealing to kids isn't really an issue, and I'd say there probably are more than enough adults nostalgic for their childhood to make a game based thereupon profitable. I'd say that given the IDW comic's success, the possibility of this sort of game being made is, if not more likely, at least more viable. However, it still hasn't advanced past the point of rumor.

As to whether I would like to see an Open-World TMNT game, well, I'm hot and cold on that one. I feel that Open-World games are, at times, a mile wide and an inch deep. You're told you have a whole city to explore, but it can feel really dead because they don't have time to work on all of the subtle details like the inhabitants, and most buildings don't work as anything more than objects; you can't enter them. Yet to an extent, the prospect appeals to me just because there are things I would like to see in 3-D. I don't feel the OT had enough iconic locations in its version of New York to warrant a full-on recreation of the city, but they could feasibly dig for the lesser-known locations, as well as bring in some stuff from the other universes. If you could fill out the game with Channel 6 News, 2nd Time Around, The Ninja District and Ninja Pizza, the TCRI building, Weird Pizza (somewhat different from Ninja Pizza), Lairdman warehouse, and designated locations for the various gangs, then a somewhat open-world game might work. I also feel that with the main draw of many open-world games seeming to be the ability to pick fights and cause random chaos, combining the beat-em-up gameplay into it could work well.

However, the one thing I would love to see made into a fully explorable, 3-dimensional, and dynamic environment over anything else is the Technodrome. I've been yearning for a chance to see it in full since the moment I saw it in parts.
__________________
Konchadunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #118
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 22,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'm well resolved to the probably-fact that the TMNT comics will always be niche.

But it shouldn't be.
In order to break out of that pattern, the TMNT books need to start telling stories people will remember for years and will want to keep rereading from ages eight to eighty. I can count all the "essential" comics stories on two fingers.

Hell, Spider-Girl, the most niche of all the Spider-Man titles, has more must-read stories than that.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #119
LEOTMNT
Thug
 
LEOTMNT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: upstate
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'm well resolved to the probably-fact that the TMNT comics will always be niche.

But it shouldn't be.
i don't think it should no...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konchadunga View Post
As to whether I would like to see an Open-World TMNT game, well, I'm hot and cold on that one. I feel that Open-World games are, at times, a mile wide and an inch deep. You're told you have a whole city to explore, but it can feel really dead because they don't have time to work on all of the subtle details like the inhabitants, and most buildings don't work as anything more than objects; you can't enter them. Yet to an extent, the prospect appeals to me just because there are things I would like to see in 3-D. I don't feel the OT had enough iconic locations in its version of New York to warrant a full-on recreation of the city, but they could feasibly dig for the lesser-known locations, as well as bring in some stuff from the other universes. If you could fill out the game with Channel 6 News, 2nd Time Around, The Ninja District and Ninja Pizza, the TCRI building, Weird Pizza (somewhat different from Ninja Pizza), Lairdman warehouse, and designated locations for the various gangs, then a somewhat open-world game might work. I also feel that with the main draw of many open-world games seeming to be the ability to pick fights and cause random chaos, combining the beat-em-up gameplay into it could work well.
Very well said, especially about being a mile wide and inch deep, it is so true. Thats why i think that smaller area segments with multiple approaches would work nicely too. but as for the reasons you said above it could work nicely in a open world aswell, and i wouldnt really want it to be too large of an area if its open world its quality not quantity that would be the key. i dont think Arkham City was too big, maybe even a little smaller than that. or like i said with just having different areas to travel in the universe such as in the Assassin Creed Games you can go to multiple cities, just on a smaller scale dimension wise. but idk then that takes away from a community feeling as a whole, the more i think about it i really just want to be able to free run through the rooftops, sewers and alleyways with some stealth involved and a kick ass combat system and ill be happy so long as its playable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
In order to break out of that pattern, the TMNT books need to start telling stories people will remember for years and will want to keep rereading from ages eight to eighty. I can count all the "essential" comics stories on two fingers.
truuue but two?!Im sorry my friend but i think there's more than that. IMO at least but hey isn't a game just a collection of missions with a nice little finale? all the extra side missions are just fluff, but they can also make or break a game, so the way i see it is they have about 60 something issues of TMNT "gold/crap"what have you ,to convert into a video game setting. weather that is all the fluff or not, which most likely if the game gets made, they will create their own story for the main plot im sure. but otherwise still plenty to work off of. People have made "better crap" off of worse niche material out there. i think they can do something a little better with Turtles. This is all under the assumption that if it is taken up, its by Rocksteady...cause if by any other company i think us niche fans will get screwed.
__________________
T-U-R-T-L-E POWER
LEOTMNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #120
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist
 
Mr._Mutant_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
In order to break out of that pattern, the TMNT books need to start telling stories people will remember for years and will want to keep rereading from ages eight to eighty. I can count all the "essential" comics stories on two fingers.
-First issue
-Mousers
-Triceratrons/Fugitoid
-Shredder returning
-Return to New York
-City at War

Nothing too essential after volume one though.
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.