The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #181
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
Oh my lord. You can't be serious. All this over a 20 second clip?
They dropped the "Teenage Mutant" from the movie title. That means instead of mutants they can make them aliens.

The signs are all adding up. Sounds like this movie is going to be awful.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #182
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
Oh my lord. You can't be serious. All this over a 20 second clip?
I agree. I may be miffed about the (potential) alien angle, and it may be a deal breaker for me seeing the movie opening weekend, but come on cubed is this really helping?
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #183
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I agree. I may be miffed about the (potential) alien angle, and it may be a deal breaker for me seeing the movie opening weekend, but come on cubed is this really helping?
Why would anyone accept this? It's awful. I'll see the movie just to see what it's like but this new origin is god awful and does harm to the comics and cartoons.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #184
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 17,163
But you're condemning a movie we know NOTHING about yet... You always jump the gun like this. I wouldn't assume Anything until we've actually SEEN something, not just read a two line blurb from some random blogger who has ZERO involvement in the movie...
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #185
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist
 
Cowabunga Carl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Why would anyone accept this? It's awful. I'll see the movie just to see what it's like but this new origin is god awful and does harm to the comics and cartoons.
How exactly does it harm the cartoon or comics? I'm pretty sure what is out already wont change or be taken from you. I mean I don't think Viacom is going to send thugs to take my collection. So I'm pretty sure if I want to read the Mirage origin I can, watch the FW origin, IDW origin got that too so what exactly are they in danger of?

See this is what I am trying to say, regardless of what they do we will still have what we like. Maybe the new movie wont be your cup of tea but it doesn't ruin anything that came before.
Cowabunga Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #186
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machias Banshee View Post
But you're condemning a movie we know NOTHING about yet... You always jump the gun like this. I wouldn't assume Anything until we've actually SEEN something, not just read a two line blurb from some random blogger who has ZERO involvement in the movie...
But isn't it telling the alien thing is the first thing they mentioned? Also notice how the IDW and Nick shows have nothing to do with the turtles being aliens.

Why defend a movie that destroys the very essence the franchise is about? What's next, the Turtles take April to their home planet?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #187
azrael
Mad Scientist
 
azrael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: loganville, ga
Posts: 1,362
Maybe its not to late for the Dawn of the Ninja script?
__________________
Creator of The Death Poppets
azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #188
FearlessLeader
Mad Scientist
 
FearlessLeader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Watching Space Heroes
Posts: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
But isn't it telling the alien thing is the first thing they mentioned? Also notice how the IDW and Nick shows have nothing to do with the turtles being aliens.

Why defend a movie that destroys the very essence the franchise is about? What's next, the Turtles take April to their home planet?
I just think you need to have slightly more information before you completely write everything off.

You are making a lot of assumptions about one sentence and then here-say from a few other sources.

And you know what at this point this might be the best or the most terrible Turtles film ever made, the simply fact is we don't know enough.

I mean before IDW started their comic line you have to admit if some confusing bit about reincarnation had gotten out instead of us all being introduced to it within the context of the story people would have been flipping out most likely as they are now. Perception is everything.

Just let things play out for a while longer see what is actually going on. Once you have concrete proof of something if you want to flip out then by all means please do.
__________________

Artwork by Jim Lawson
FearlessLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #189
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
I mean before IDW started their comic line you have to admit if some confusing bit about reincarnation had gotten out instead of us all being introduced to it within the context of the story people would have been flipping out most likely as they are now. Perception is everything.
This is probably the most cogent thing I've read about the whole issue. Not that it makes my mild righteous indignation at this rewriting of the origin, but it remind me that despite my initial balking, I'll be sure to keep up with the updates to see if they redeem this idea that at face value makes me want to do this:
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #190
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist
 
Mr._Mutant_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,340
Why does Michael Bay get to keep on making movies?

Pearl Harbor sucks, and I miss you....


I'm going to jump on the bandwagon of "maybe alien doesn't necessarily mean extraterrestrial". But why would he have said it then?
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #191
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Mutant_Man View Post
I'm going to jump on the bandwagon of "maybe alien doesn't necessarily mean extraterrestrial". But why would he have said it then?
Actually that's a good question to ask. I just watched the clip in question finally myself and he does seem to light up a bit as he says it, like, "Guuuesss what we're doing... I'll give you a tease: ALIENS! That's all I'll give you for now, HAH."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #192
PizzaFan87
Thug
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Aside from Yoshi being Splinter...which is borrowed from FW.

(reads that article closely) I know this is the one that said "alien planet" but it also says the movie is sans "Teenage Mutant". But where do you see the Nick too keeps Mirage (or at least normal Turtles mutated by alien ooze) origin?
Another tidbit he offered up is that the Turtles origin story has been updated, from the decidedly 80s radioactive waste accident to an alien planet. The “teenage mutant” remains intact, however, for the brand-new CG-animated TMNT series debuting on Nickelodeon this fall

All the article says is that the Nick cartoon is still "teenage mutant" meaning that the Turtles are definitely mutants. The movie is going in a different direction.
PizzaFan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #193
Kendamu
Sewerhead
 
Kendamu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,890
It's really hard to not take it at face value and interpret it the way the rest of the Internet is reporting on it, but I'm really trying to hang back and not wholly assume that the Turtles are aliens without hearing anything else first.
Kendamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #194
Slap-Happy
Bad Boy
 
Slap-Happy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaFan87 View Post
All the article says is that the Nick cartoon is still "teenage mutant" meaning that the Turtles are definitely mutants. The movie is going in a different direction.
I doubt that. I think that Michael had just referred to the movie as a "ninja turtles" movie. This blogger probably thought that the title was literally "Ninja Turtles"

Also, being called "Ninja Turtles" doesn't automatically mean no mutants. Next Mutation, anyone?
Slap-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #195
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Mutant_Man View Post
Why does Michael Bay get to keep on making movies?

Pearl Harbor sucks, and I miss you....
How could I miss that potentially hilarious reference!
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #196
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,428
If he had said the aliens comment as one of many things in a blurb about what they're doing with the Turtles in the movie it might be easy for me to do what I instinctively want to do, which is say, "Oh, we're misinterpreting him" (i.e., my early theory about, "Oh, he just probably means aliens/Utroms play a bigger/direct role in the Turtles' mutation"). But it's really the only thing he's throwing out there in that blurb, and rather playfully so, so objectively it does seem pretty damning to that end.

That said, the more I think about it, the less I'm willing to condemn the movie if it turns out they're aliens. I won't like that aspect, I will think it's lazy and maybe even a bit disrespectful to the core concept of the Turtles... even displaying a kind of cavalier attitude toward audiences a bit like "Aw, who even cares about the Turtles' origins"... and at the very least, it's getting early hype about the movie off to a truly awful start... but...

If at the end of the day Bay and company deliver a movie with ass-kicking Ninja Turtles at a level that has never been seen before on the big screen... I think I'd be willing to forgive a lot.

But then there's that comment about making the Turtles "loveable"... screw it, where's my pitchfork?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #197
Slap-Happy
Bad Boy
 
Slap-Happy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Also notice how the IDW and Nick shows have nothing to do with the turtles being aliens.
That's one reason not to get so damn worked up about this. The two big things to come out of the Viacom sale are things that kept the basic parts of the origin.

Don't take everything at face value. You're freaking out because Michael Bay said something retarted that might have just been him misinterpreting something or knowing next to nothing about the movie he's producing (you know, like the other Platinum Dunes films).
Slap-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #198
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,814
The problem is more people, as in the general public, will go see a TMNT movie in theaters over reading the comics or watching the cartoons.

Its the same with any superhero movie. You think most of those people who see the Spiderman/X-men/Batman movies in theaters then go to their nearest comic store to pick up comics and watch the old cartoons? Of course not, the only people who do that are already the hardcore fans.

The Turtles being aliens is a horrible thing to put into the mindset of people. There's already huge backlash about this on every movie/comic site, just read the comment sections of the articles.

Its also perplexing why Viacom would allow a movie to go in this direction when they seem to have such a tight grip on the IDW comics and cartoon, and seem to be handling those well.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #199
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
You know reading CyberCubed's rants only makes me start to assume more and more that Michael Bay didn't have a flipping clue what the heck he was talking about.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #200
PizzaFan87
Thug
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap-Happy View Post
This blogger probably thought that the title was literally "Ninja Turtles"
That's the official Viacom blog. Viacom owns Paramount. So, if he says that the movie is simply called "Ninja Turtles" then there has to be some truth behind it.

Quote:
Also, being called "Ninja Turtles" doesn't automatically mean no mutants. Next Mutation, anyone?
Yeah, but the word "mutation" was in the title.
PizzaFan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
live action films


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.