![]() |
|
|
#21 | |
|
Hench Mutant
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 384
|
Quote:
Anyway, moving on, I'm with Oculus Orbus in that the writers should take their time to make the Mutanimals become truly part of the story, rather than what the Archie book initially viewed the characters: crammed-in toy ads. They're great characters or designs, but it's too much "KTHXBYE." At least, Leatherhead and Wingnut/Screwloose were useful for the overall arc. (The former for jumpstarting the Turnstone arc in the first place, and the latter for detailing Krang's off-screen actions and motivations.) |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#22 |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,811
|
I doubt we'll see too many mutants in this series. We already have Hob and Alopex, and Leatherhead is likely in the cards as well as Bebop and Rocksteady.
I think we'll probably see Slash at some point but I really don't see lots of animal beings running around. |
|
|
|
|
|
#23 |
|
Stone Warrior
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hurst, TX
Posts: 961
|
In the main series I can actually see it justifiable to introduce the characters, just maybe not as a group. There's a good amount of story to be told if they do it properly, which they're capable of, and these characters are popular with the fanbase. I would like to see some of the "lost" material AndrewNDB spoke of a few posts ago. Heck, I'd like an Archie-verse revival for that matter.
__________________
http://jmylarart.myportfolio.com/work |
|
|
|
|
|
#24 |
|
Stone Warrior
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California
Posts: 954
|
I never really cared for the Mutanimals. It can only work in a goofier setting like the Archie series, though probably would have worked even better in the Fred Wolf series. A "team" is a comic book staple though; it's just that the Mutanimals weren't too interesting to begin with, in my opinion. I've actually wondered from time to time what a group dynamic between Leo, Zog, Fugitoid, and Casey would be, since they have such different origins and backgrounds. Plus, those happen to be some of my favorites from the Mirageverse. When the turtles teamed up with Zog, it is easily one of my favorite moments ever in turtles history.
__________________
"Baxter, you slime puppy!" |
|
|
|
|
|
#25 |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,811
|
I can see the Mutanimals working if they were the new Justice Force or something like that.
Just instead of those superheroes they were a bunch of mutant heroes. |
|
|
|
|
|
#26 |
|
Col. Stinkmeaner
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,220
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#27 |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,811
|
Instead of a human Justice Force (like Silver Sentry, Stainless Steel Steve, etc.), the Mutanimals act in the same role in their place. Isn't that what they essentially were, a bunch of humanoid animals who banded together to be heroes?
Its the only way I can see the Mutanimals working in a more serious comic, otherwise I agree its best to leave them out. That being said I wouldn't mind seeing one or two of them on the side. |
|
|
|
|
|
#28 |
|
Mad Scientist
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,715
|
yeah, I see act as the mutant pilot in the bomber jacket, not the arrogant wrestler alien from archie
__________________
My TMNT fanfic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1266176...n-a-Half-Shell IDW is the best version of TMNT If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket. |
|
|
|
|
|
#29 |
|
Stone Warrior
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 748
|
I'll go with the Archie origin over the Playmates toy any day. To me, no matter how prominent he was or was not in that incarnation, that is the definitive origin story for Ace because it was part of an actual story. He actually existed in that universe. So unless they create a more fleshed-out origin for him in IDW, Ace will always be an alien.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#30 | |
|
Foot Elite
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,009
|
Quote:
The Playmates version which in my opinion is the definitive version of the character, such as he counts as a character - is a mutant. Not to mention he had a story. The little bio on the back of the box is a story and to me that trumps being an unimportant part of another characters story. Can I just say I can't believe we're having a debate on Ace Duck. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#31 |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,811
|
And in the OT, wasn't Ace Duck just a character in a cartoon show that Michaelangelo watched? In that show he wasn't even a real character.
|
|
|
|
|
|
#32 | |
|
Foot Elite
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,009
|
Quote:
IDW need to publish an Ace Duck ongoing series were he meets versions of himself throughout the multiverse just to answer these burning question. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#33 |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,811
|
![]() ^ The only time he ever appears in the old show, and for 5 seconds as Michaelangelo says, "I am in the middle of watching an Ace Duck marathon!" LOL, I bet the writers thought the idea of a mutant duck was so stupid they just gave him a throwaway cameo as a TV character. |
|
|
|
|
|
#34 |
|
Foot Elite
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,009
|
Surely a mutant duck would be no more silly than most other mutant animals that appeared on the show or the Johnny 5 rip off/homage that starred in that episode?
Come to think of it, I've long thought that ep would have been a good fit for the Fugitoid. Simply swap MACC for Honeycutt and the future portal with one to D'Hoonib. If there was ever a family friendly aspect of the early Mirage comics it was the Fugitoid. One would have thought he'd be the first choice character to bring over from the books. |
|
|
|
|
|
#35 |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,811
|
Honestly I hate the character of Ace Duck. He doesn't feel like a TMNT character to me, more like he's Donald Duck's long lost cousin or something.
I am glad he never was used in the old show for real. Definitely one of the stupider mutant designs from Playmates, along with Hot Spot, Halfcourt, Monty Moose, King Lionheart and the like. |
|
|
|
|
|
#36 |
|
Foot Elite
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,009
|
Hmmm I'm guessing you wouldn't be up for a TMNT/Uncle Scrooge crossover then?
Never felt much for Ace Duck either. What little basis his character was given to begin was completely ignored in the other versions which were so unimportant they may as well not been there. That doesn't mean a writer couldn't have made him a fully flashed out character in either the comic or the cartoon. Something that I do appreciate is that the figure version was given a purpose of being the Turtle Blimp's pilot. I can't think of any other playmates only character that had an actual purpose. |
|
|
|
|
|
#37 |
|
Col. Stinkmeaner
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,220
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#38 |
|
Overlord
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,811
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#39 |
|
Weed Whacker
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,419
|
I think I understand where CyberCubed is coming from and I tend to agree. There are ways to make a duck mutant/alien work, artistically and otherwise, though... but "Is it really worth it to try and cram one into the IDW TMNT just because of the 5 people who remember and possibly like Ace Duck in the old Archie comics or have some kind of half-remembered fondness for the toy?" is probably a good, sound question I hope IDW is asking themselves. As with many, many other mutants.
__________________
|
|
|
|
|
|
#40 | |
|
Foot Elite
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,009
|
Quote:
I mean we've got Neutrinos in the series...Neutrinos!!! |
|
|
|
|
![]() |
| Tags |
| comic discussion |
|
|