The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: What will do you?
Yes, I plan on buying most of the collections even though I already own the issues 29 58.00%
Yes, but that's only because I don't have most of the Mirage issues 8 16.00%
No, I feel like I already own the stories so there's no reason to double-dip 7 14.00%
No, but if there are new covers or extras I might be inclined 6 12.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,813
If you already own the Mirage books, are you planning on getting the IDW collections?

For those of you who already have every Mirage issue or the older collections, are you still planning on buying all the IDW collections?

Between the Ultimate volumes that collect the Eastman/Laird issues, the paperback collections that collect all of the other Volume 1 issues, the color classics that colorized the Volume 1 issues, and the future Archie collections, there is a lot coming out.

Are you planning on buying these new collections even if you already own the issues?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost
 
Plasticplayhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North East
Posts: 2,194
nahhh. i own two sets (one to read, the other to collect) of volume one (my favorite of all the turtleverse), all the Tales v1, and a smattering of other relevent issues through 2009. so i really have no need for a compilation book.
__________________
Want to see more of my custom figures?
http://plasticplayhouse.deviantart.com/
Plasticplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Toby Barrett
Stone Warrior
 
Toby Barrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 946
Nah, I don't think so. I've already read all the issues, I'm more interested in reading new stories.
Toby Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
Hell yeah. Especially if they're hardcover. The only HC Mirage collection goes for way too much on Ebay and is worth so much I'd rather not read it if I did have one. Which brings me to why I want the trades. It's much safer to read newly released trades than bother digging through my massive TMNT collection looking for single issues and being careful with them. Ironic how spending a lot of money on something almost encourages you not to touch it. I own all the original Mirage trades as well but I am a collector. Tis my curse and since I gave up completely on toys books are a nice replacement.

On a side note I'm really pleased IDW is releasing stuff Mirage never collected, assuming they get as far as we all hope. Even if they don't the fact they're bothering to release old stuff that's completely unrelated to their current series is awesome.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
Oculus Orbus
Mad Scientist
 
Oculus Orbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Spain
Posts: 1,535
I am. I'm not exactly a completionist, and I haven't been buying all the variant covers (I've bought quite a lot, but not all of them), but I do like to get all the new releases, even if they're just reprints.
Oculus Orbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
Jephael
That whack job behind you
 
Jephael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,143
I don't think I'm going to buy the collected books either, seeing as how I've already got several variant covers.
__________________
"I like it. Simple, but effective!"
Raphael; The Mean Machines - 1988

Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior
 
Matches Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: California
Posts: 954
Planning on picking up the Ultimate Collections (though I think calling them "Ultimate" is a little cheesy) because of the annotations, the fact that they are presented so nicely, and that they will be collecting City at War. It will be nice to have Volumes 1-5 sitting side by side. If they are numbered, it bugs me to have volumes missing...

As for the other collections, I'm on the fence about the colored single issues. It will most likely depend on the coloring. I'm probably going to pass on the collected classics trades. Since these issues won't have much continuity, I'll would only buy them if they release creator-centric collections, otherwise it will just feel too random as I read through. I don't like reading through a collection just for one issue or story. I may as well read the singles for that. But if the book had ALL Michael Dooney, it would be a much more fun read, I think.
__________________
"Baxter, you slime puppy!"
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
Spitfire
Writer • Director
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,035
I'd rather release them in the order they came out in. Unless it's something like Soul's Winter that had a gap. Most of the non-creator books didn't have much continuity either just the same person wrote the stories. Martin's stuff doesn't count it's too weird for continuity.
__________________
Check out my online portfolio
http://www.christopherpelletier.com/
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself
 
Archon_Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,667
Do we know yet how they are going to be releasing the IDW exclusive version of Ultimate HC 2?
Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Bottom option.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
DK2
Stone Warrior
 
DK2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 621
I probably won't be buying the IDW collected books either. If they get into "City at War", Vol. 2-4 onwards as trades/hc's then I might. I'm so tempted with the Ultimate HC book from what I saw of it, but the price and the choice of half splitting the HC with what should been a bigger book into two, irked me. If they make a trade of this maybe. I too have all the older Mirage Collected books and all the comic singles. I prefer trades to have access to the certain issues more readily then digging out the singles. The IDW Classics I'm only tempted for the colors somewhat. Also the TMNT Adventures stuff I may pursue as I never read them back then and Mirages Future Tense trade gave me a slight taste of that stuff. So I'm willing to try that series further. Until IDW gets into the stuff not collected before, I'm not buying anything until then really.
DK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #12
The Fifth Turtle
Mad Scientist
 
The Fifth Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chicago sewer
Posts: 2,488
I will prob. get the Archies as I never read them as a kid except maybe an issue or two. Though I have the original singles, the HC Ultimate collection was just too cool to pass up. I will get the others but that will be the extent of my purchasing.
The Fifth Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #13
Archon_Turtle
I'm SUPER into myself
 
Archon_Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,667
Booyah! Question Answered!

Archon_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #14
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,225
I'm getting anything that has short stories I don't have (I sold my Shell Shock a ways back) or a real boss cover. Perfect example is Volume 1, it has a sweet Dooney cover and several shorts, while Volume 2 is just going to have 3 Mark Martin Stories... pass.

The individual issues? I'll but some here and there. I'll pick up #1 on Free Comic Book Day just because, and I'm definitely excited to see some issues to be colored, like "The Christmas Aliens" and "Kirby and The Warp Crystal".
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I'd rather release them in the order they came out in. Unless it's something like Soul's Winter that had a gap. Most of the non-creator books didn't have much continuity either just the same person wrote the stories. Martin's stuff doesn't count it's too weird for continuity.
They're pretty much being printed in order. The issues in the hardcover collections aren't getting paperback versions. So you read the paperback collections inbetween the Ultimate Collections.

Although as said, the Mark Martin, Soul's Winter, and Tom Mcweeny trilogy's don't matter as they're alternate universes.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #16
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,225
IDW is stupid if they release the Hedden/McWeeney trash.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,813
IDW said they want to reprint all the way up to Vol. 4, so with any luck we'll see Volume 2, Image and all of Vol. 4 collected.

I think they'd probably collect Tales V. 2 last, considering those were the most recent series and there's over 70 issues of it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #18
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 11,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
IDW is stupid if they release the Hedden/McWeeney trash.
I think if they stop somewhere it would be Return To New York, but they would probably cover all of volume one no exceptions. The only thing stopping them is Laird's incompletion of vol.4.

Its funny, the first Mirage books I saw was this wierd run around the age of nine. Raphael running around looking like he was for lack of better words retarded in a cartoonish art style. The black and white comics have never been my thing but those were not the best first impression for a fan of any age.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #19
Xav
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,040
Why does Mikey have a gun on that cover?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #20
shuriken
Second City Shinobi
 
shuriken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Chi-town
Posts: 4,182
^ because He has the right to bare arms( And i think he's shooting a triceraton)
I have a good chunk of the 1st volume of mirage. There are stories that i wanna get, and here's hoping they eventually release(masks, the river, souls winter, City at War, Tales volume 1). Plus if there are nifty extras I wouldn't mind getting certain issues in color (Sky highway would look amazing)
__________________
Some things are better left unsaid. This isn't one of them
shuriken is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comic discussion, idw


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.