The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #21
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
I think their plan is to do so but it will take years to get them all out.
This is the only bad move IDW has made, IMO. But on the scale of bad moves, it is HUGE.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #22
rich
Mad Scientist
 
rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
This is the only bad move IDW has made, IMO. But on the scale of bad moves, it is HUGE.
Bad move to put them in trades or that it will take so long? or both?
__________________

rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #23
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
Bad move to put them in trades or that it will take so long? or both?
The assumed format of the trades. As others have mentioned, they should be releases the Archie books in at least 10-issue collections. Especially when they are all relatively short books. The second half of the series is the best part, but if they're skipping their way through 4 issues at a time, the likelihood of sales supporting continued releases for the entire series are slim.

And the book that came out today just pisses me off.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #24
rich
Mad Scientist
 
rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
And the book that came out today just pisses me off.
Is that because it was released just a few years ago and only the cover has changed? I can see that point of view for sure.
__________________

rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #25
Roseangelo
Emperor
 
Roseangelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: California
Posts: 9,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
Is that because it was released just a few years ago and only the cover has changed? I can see that point of view for sure.
This release barely made sense in 2009. Reprinting it nearly exactly is such a waste of resources and does no favors for the Archie series as a whole.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #26
rich
Mad Scientist
 
rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
This release barely made sense in 2009. Reprinting it nearly exactly is such a waste of resources and does no favors for the Archie series as a whole.
I can't say I disagree...it has a neat cover though
__________________

rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #27
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
I'm guessing that not a lot of people know this, but the talented Mr. Dooney actually had a slightly different artistic vision for that cover:
http://dooneygirls.blogspot.com/2009...a-turtles.html
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #28
rich
Mad Scientist
 
rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I'm guessing that not a lot of people know this, but the talented Mr. Dooney actually had a slightly different artistic vision for that cover:
http://dooneygirls.blogspot.com/2009...a-turtles.html
That's cool. I was actually referring to the cover paper stock but I also like the art. Thanks for the link...I like the darker Dooney one better BTW
__________________

rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #29
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist
 
Mr._Mutant_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Most of the Archie issues can still be found at mycomicsshop.com or even ninjaturtles.com online story.
Most of the earlier ones anyway. I'd say when you get closer to issue 50 is when they become more scarce.

My Archie collection is pretty good, but I'm missing a lot of the ones in the 60's and 70's because the shops never seem to have copies.

The new reprint is pretty much the same content as the 2009 book, except it has the staple binding like a comic book and is missing the pages about how the comics are put together. Plus it's a larger size than the 2009 book.

I flipped through it and noticed they must have pulled from the 2009 reprint, because that book had a color correction from the originals. I remember as a kid looking at the original panel and thinking April was barefoot, because they colored her feet the same tone as her skin:



In the 2009 reprinting they corrected it to white.

Last edited by Mr._Mutant_Man; 04-25-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #30
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,806
Did they correct human Bebop's coloring? In my individual issues from decades ago human Bebop was white instead of black. I am pretty sure in the 2009 reprint they corrected it to make him have darker skin.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:56 AM   #31
darthsmozers
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
The assumed format of the trades. As others have mentioned, they should be releases the Archie books in at least 10-issue collections. Especially when they are all relatively short books. The second half of the series is the best part, but if they're skipping their way through 4 issues at a time, the likelihood of sales supporting continued releases for the entire series are slim.

And the book that came out today just pisses me off.
Are we assuming the format based on this re-release, or has something been announced?
darthsmozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #32
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,471
roseangelo, you mentionoed it yourself, we can only ASSUME that this is the plan to go with the future archie collections...but since this is apparently very close to an existing reprint we might get very different sequels from then on...nothing is set in stone yet and those who don't like it need not buy it, am I wrong?I fail to understand why people who have the original issues already and hence KNOW the goddaimn story anyway bother so deeply about how they are going on about it today...
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #33
Floatingyeti
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 44
this re-release really pisses me off too!

I've so far purchased everything released by IDW, TMNT related, but this is the first case were i drew the line and will not spend my money. The most positive comments I've read about this release is the cover. Personally I think that its the worst aspect of the book. This is a TPB of the original Archie mini and I would want it on my bookshelf to represent the series. But this is basically an oversized issue and is not shelf worthy since it has no labeled spine. Guess what the 2009 original version does making it the superior version that can be placed beside the rested of your TMNT TPB collection. This is an offensive, cheap lazy cash grab.

I really hope future releases will be in proper tpb form.
Floatingyeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #34
Venom
Space Knight
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
The assumed format of the trades. As others have mentioned, they should be releases the Archie books in at least 10-issue collections. Especially when they are all relatively short books. The second half of the series is the best part, but if they're skipping their way through 4 issues at a time, the likelihood of sales supporting continued releases for the entire series are slim.

And the book that came out today just pisses me off.
I like the idea of putting more issues in one binding. If they did 9 comics a book, they'd get through the series in 8 volumes, or put 8 and stretch it to 9. Then release the specials in a separate volume.
__________________
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #35
darthsmozers
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelangelo View Post
roseangelo, you mentionoed it yourself, we can only ASSUME that this is the plan to go with the future archie collections...but since this is apparently very close to an existing reprint we might get very different sequels from then on...nothing is set in stone yet and those who don't like it need not buy it, am I wrong?I fail to understand why people who have the original issues already and hence KNOW the goddaimn story anyway bother so deeply about how they are going on about it today...
I think because then its viewed as getting the "proper treatment", meaning its now good enough to collect into a book format. That carries with it the "status" of going onto a bookshelf, the chance for new readers to enjoy the material, and the fun in picking out a volume and reading an entire story at once. I also think any chance to see a favorite (for many) version of the characters reprinted is fun in itself. I also think its a bit of nostalgia to go to a store and buy something from long ago - in this case, archie TMNT stories. I also think (yes, more thoughts, haha) that it carries with it the hope of the lost story (Forever War) getting traction, though we should know by now not to hope for that And finally, I think the format of it is worth discussing because its better to spend $20 on a book if it contains a lot for the money, and not just a couple of issues. OK, random thoughts completed.
darthsmozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #36
LeoNerdo
Stone Warrior
 
LeoNerdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 872
I wasn't sure if I was going to buy the Archie trades, but from what I've heard I'll probably skip this one and may pick up the 2009 tpb eventually. I spent the better part of last year tracking down the few remaining regular series issues and all the specials/mini series from the archie run. It's the only TMNT series that I own in it's entirety.

If IDW started putting out volumes similar to their Transformers Classics line for the old Marvel Transformers comics with about 10-13 issues per volume, I would definitely grab that.
LeoNerdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #37
Mr._Mutant_Man
Mad Scientist
 
Mr._Mutant_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Did they correct human Bebop's coloring? In my individual issues from decades ago human Bebop was white instead of black. I am pretty sure in the 2009 reprint they corrected it to make him have darker skin.
I'm flipping through the new printing now and yes, Bebop now has darker skin.
Mr._Mutant_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #38
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,296
My major question is this: If they release 4 issue collections, how will they deal with arcs? I mean, aren't there several Archie arcs that are longer than 4 issues? And will they plug in the Mutanimals issues to fill gaps?
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #39
darthsmozers
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,277
I would assume its too soon to tell.
darthsmozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #40
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
I actually got my first look at this book today. Boy, does it look ugly.

The cover's colors looked faded and it looked like it was printed cheap in magazine format rather than traditional TPB binding. I was a little confused when people said it was bound with staples rather than glue, but now I know exactly what they meant. And it wasn't a pretty sight.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comic dicussion, comic discussion


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.