The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
TurtleFan2012
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 300
It's amazing the OT got away with some things

They had a pregnant woman in the episode where Mikey is delivering pizza for Shredder and an interacial couple(if you look closely) in an episode about that tourist alien with the camera. You couldn't show that type of stuff in most older cartoons.

Are there other things? I am still surprised they had a preggo woman lol.
TurtleFan2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
LotusBlossom
Thug
 
LotusBlossom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In the Bedroom of the House of Sand and Fog.
Posts: 70
Social values were already beginning to shift somewhat by the late 80's, but you make a valid point.

I also vaguely remember seeing an interracial couple (or couples) in an episode or two. BTW, did the Polarisoid do a "double take"? Or seem really angry?

I bet when it aired in the deep south, the pair were recolored (to make a better "match").
__________________
"Online gaming hundreds of times the speed of your normal internet provider! So easy to use! And the surgery to implant the chip at the base of your spine is virtually painless!"
LotusBlossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,793
What about that black woman doctor in the episode Michaelangelo has a pet pigeon?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 22,378
Or the Prostitute joke in "Donatello's Degree"?
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
LotusBlossom
Thug
 
LotusBlossom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In the Bedroom of the House of Sand and Fog.
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
What about that black woman doctor in the episode Michaelangelo has a pet pigeon?

Ugh, I hated that funking grunch! She was a zoo veterinarian, and yet was, like, constantly putting animals down and saying how dumb they were. I mean, she was scientifically correct, but still ...
__________________
"Online gaming hundreds of times the speed of your normal internet provider! So easy to use! And the surgery to implant the chip at the base of your spine is virtually painless!"
LotusBlossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,793
Also both Irma and Vernon were sexually suggestive at times. Just think about how often Vernon sexually harassed April or how many times Irma tried to hit on someone.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
marcelangelo
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,471
I remember rewatching my old favourite show for the first time in over 10 to 15 years some years ago and being really amused about how often in the german synch the turtles and other characters wuld curse out loudhahahah
michelangelo for example says **** a few times, raphael tells the turtle terminator that the terminators father is an alcoholic and his mother a bitch...
many things like that...saying **** or ****ing **** if you translate it for real
good old turtles used to use a lot of slang, too, but not always common slang, but inventing new pictures and figures of speech as the went along, that was some of the most fun stuff to me in the showthey were so cool characters that they're still loveable and orginal even after all these years
by the way, today I received lsm box number 4and the fun goes on
marcelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
LotusBlossom
Thug
 
LotusBlossom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In the Bedroom of the House of Sand and Fog.
Posts: 70
Curiously enough, sexual harassment is one of the few issues ("LGBT concerns" being another) that current cartoon creators are actually more cognizant of than their predecessors were. Particularly in comparison to any episodes which aired prior to the Clarence Thomas confirmation hearings.
__________________
"Online gaming hundreds of times the speed of your normal internet provider! So easy to use! And the surgery to implant the chip at the base of your spine is virtually painless!"
LotusBlossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
Type 97 Chi-ha
Mad Scientist
 
Type 97 Chi-ha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleFan2012 View Post
They had a pregnant woman in the episode where Mikey is delivering pizza for Shredder and an interacial couple(if you look closely) in an episode about that tourist alien with the camera. You couldn't show that type of stuff in most older cartoons.

Are there other things? I am still surprised they had a preggo woman lol.
Why not? It was already the late 1980's, and in the episode "Turtles, Turtles Everywhere", they did have a mother turtle lay her eggs in a hole on a beach. (At the same time, local TV news showed a real life mother turtle doing the same thing.)

The interracial couple was hardly hidden; they were featured in the foreground as they witnessed a manhole cover knocked out of place by a stream of water with Michelangelo on top.
Type 97 Chi-ha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #10
LotusBlossom
Thug
 
LotusBlossom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In the Bedroom of the House of Sand and Fog.
Posts: 70
Sorry for posting so much in this topic! I'm cleaning my room and am thus quite bored. (Plus at least my posts are relatively short ... and readable.)

Anyways, I always found it quite odd how Leonardo "killed" that giant Venus Flytrappy monster in such a graphic/grisly/gory fashion (even if it was only a vegetable). Plus Michelangelo was dressed up as a plant woman at the time (adding a disturbing layer of homoeroticism to the murder).

Also, I feel uniquely qualifed to comment here because my boyfriend is black. Seriously. I date him so that if anyone accuses me of being a racist, I can go, "Oh, really?! Is that so?! Well, perhaps you'd like to meet my boyfriend! My BLACK boyfriend!"
__________________
"Online gaming hundreds of times the speed of your normal internet provider! So easy to use! And the surgery to implant the chip at the base of your spine is virtually painless!"
LotusBlossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
KirkyMonster
Foot Soldier
 
KirkyMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 247
Sooooo you date him for insurance reasons if you're accused of being racist???
KirkyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #12
cryan
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Athens,AL
Posts: 743
I will say Mona Lisa.I mean a nude(please don't ban me)female salamander?I was about 14 when this episode first aired in 1990 and thought "am I old enough to watch this"?

Last edited by cryan; 06-30-2012 at 11:24 AM.
cryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #13
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 10,480
Can't recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Or the Prostitute joke in "Donatello's Degree"?
What did he/someone say say? Can't recall.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #14
ngroove
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryan View Post
I will say Mona Lisa.I mean a nude(please don't ban me)female salamander?I was about 14 when this episode first aired in 1990 and thought "am I old enough to watch this"?
She's then a cartoon animal - Seeing Mona without pants, is just as Donald Duck without pants...amusing, an episode of Looney Tunes Show pointed out some indecency on Porky Pig's pants-lessness, which led to him wearing pants hahahaha!

Aside from "ninja" bandanas, belts, and bands, and the occassional disguise when walking in the surface, the Turtles are quite sans-clothes aswell; although shells might be considered somewhat wear, as it covers, armors, even fashions them, even though all turtles naturally has shells anyways.

Last edited by ngroove; 06-30-2012 at 02:47 PM.
ngroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #15
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 22,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedenfan 1982 View Post
What did he/someone say say? Can't recall.
Irma: Now what do I do?

Donatello: You wait for someone to pick you up

Irma: I'm not that kind of girl
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #16
cryan
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Athens,AL
Posts: 743
Accaully I ment during the flashback.The fact that she was human and she wore a dress when the sub's engine room flooded,then the water receded and the dress was gone.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
She's then a cartoon animal - Seeing Mona without pants, is just as Donald Duck without pants...amusing, an episode of Looney Tunes Show pointed out some indecency on Porky Pig's pants-lessness, which led to him wearing pants hahahaha!

Aside from "ninja" bandanas, belts, and bands, and the occassional disguise when walking in the surface, the Turtles are quite sans-clothes aswell; although shells might be considered somewhat wear, as it covers, armors, even fashions them, even though all turtles naturally has shells anyways.

Last edited by cryan; 06-30-2012 at 04:36 PM.
cryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #17
Icebot
Foot Elite
 
Icebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: East Coast, US
Posts: 3,225
I always thought the school bus that was about to fall off the bridge in Superhero For A Day was too scary for a cartoon.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusBlossom View Post
I date him so that if anyone accuses me of being a racist, I can go, "Oh, really?! Is that so?! Well, perhaps you'd like to meet my boyfriend! My BLACK boyfriend!"
He must be pretty pissed that that's the only reason you date him. The whole scenario sounds just a few shades removed from, you know, the blowhard who sits there going, "No, I'm not a racist! I totally have a black friend! I swear!"
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #19
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy
 
TurtleTitan97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Speed Force
Posts: 7,043
I remember in "A Thing About Rats", Shredder sent some Foot Soliders to kill Stockman after he helped Shredder build the Mousers. The first time I watched that episode I was suprised to think they allowed that.
__________________



TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #20
LotusBlossom
Thug
 
LotusBlossom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: In the Bedroom of the House of Sand and Fog.
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
He must be pretty pissed that that's the only reason you date him. The whole scenario sounds just a few shades removed from, you know, the blowhard who sits there going, "No, I'm not a racist! I totally have a black friend! I swear!"
Well, fortunately he doesn't know I'm on this forum. Besides, that's really not the only reason, anyway ... I also do it to horrify my mother.
__________________
"Online gaming hundreds of times the speed of your normal internet provider! So easy to use! And the surgery to implant the chip at the base of your spine is virtually painless!"
LotusBlossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fred wolf series


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.