The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2015, 08:21 AM   #181
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Not "no matter what". Not if they actually weren't abysmal. People only hate them because they suck so painfully hard. If that weren't the case, well... whole different ballgame.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:51 AM   #182
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleMikey View Post
Overall, they moved from a try-hard trendy look to a tactical, combat ready look. One that seems almost inspired by the Foot from the first film. Some will most certainly see that as a negative, but I think this looks fine.
Y'know what's tactical combat-ready? Elbow pads, knee pads, belt, pouches for throwing stars and smoke bombs, bandanna, and some bandages or tape.

That's all she wrote, Chuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleMikey View Post
Let's be honest.... insult or not, you guys probably wouldn't have read it or read it, and just as easily and willingly forget it since its, as you said, the minority opinion. The rook was lost by the simple virtue that I do not agree with you.

Everyone on this board, except me and a select few others, were going to hate these designs no matter what.

Even if they went with traditional designs, and scrapped everything we knew of their design from the first film, the people here STILL would've found a way to bitch about it and/or this film.

98% of this board already had their minds made up about this film (and this incarnation of TMNT period) before the first movie released.

And as far as my insult goes, that's exactly the people here were acting. Like babies. Like little children who didn't get their way. Which is funny, given that we've probably all have been TMNT fans since were cause. And thus, know that pretty much every incarnation has been (in some way) radically different from the other.

Hell, the 2003 series alone went to 3 or so radical changes over the course of its run, with weird and wacky designs of its own.

So for this, the newest incarnation w/ changes of its own, to illicit such a childish reaction is just stupid, and deserves to be called what it is.

The TMNT fandom has no ground to stand on with these complaints. And we just look stupid when we make them. We're just as bad as those in the Transformers fandom who complain, when that franchise uas had as many incarnations as this one.
I read every word, because I find people's opinions educational and informative, or sometimes the comedy equivalent of a small child desperately struggling to pull open a door clearly marked "push." And I wasn't educated or informed today, sadly.

Your point about the 2003 cartoon is fascinating. You know what series ran the best four seasons of TMNT that was ever the closest to the original source material? 2003. Only after THAT did we get Mystic Turtles, Future Turtles, and Cyber Turtles. Because TOYS.

You know what franchise hasn't sold enough of their toys? Platinum Dunes. Cold hard facts, son. I know it's unpleasant, but sooner or later, you must face the truth.

Know that we'll all be waiting for you on the other side, with a big heaping plate of hot gooey "We Told You So."
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:02 AM   #183
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Argh. This sh*t again. It's NOT "because change", it's because the changes are awful, extraneous, arbitrary, and poorly thought-out. Jesus.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:09 AM   #184
freakdylan
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Newburgh, In
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I read every word, because I find people's opinions educational and informative, or sometimes the comedy equivalent of a small child desperately struggling to pull open a door clearly marked "push." And I wasn't educated or informed today, sadly.
You just made me laugh so hard, lol
freakdylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:10 AM   #185
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
Man, these BayPologists are salty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleMikey View Post
And like the Foot in TMNT 2014, its meant to invoke the look and silhouette of a traditional ninja, while being more modernized and tactical.
Ah yes, the traditional ninja attire of mismatched gloves, chunky goggles, giant backpacks, puka shell necklaces, and cargo pants. Straight from the Feudal era!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post
The Fancypants prance and do the fancy-pants dance, if given half a chance, the Fancypants plants will go on Fancypants rants, and put us in a trance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I read every word, because I find people's opinions educational and informative, or sometimes the comedy equivalent of a small child desperately struggling to pull open a door clearly marked "push." And I wasn't educated or informed today, sadly.
Oh man, I needed that laugh today.
__________________
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:12 AM   #186
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakdylan View Post
You just made me laugh so hard, lol
That is my purpose here on the 'Drome, good sir. I am grateful to you for allowing me to fulfill that purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Man, these BayPologists are salty.
Undeniably so. Back in 2014, I'd use SharkBlade's posts to season my French fries.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:13 AM   #187
TurtleMikey
Hench Mutant
 
TurtleMikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Not "no matter what". Not if they actually weren't abysmal. People only hate them because they suck so painfully hard. If that weren't the case, well... whole different ballgame.
It being abysmal is entirely subjective. I could say/feel thag any version not the Next Mutation is abysmal, and I wouldn't be wrong.

It's opinion. And I and everyone here has the right to their opinion. But don't get upset when I point out how idiotic it is to complain about the fact alone that its different than whats come before..... which ALOT of people here are doing.

Forget what it was actually changed to.

Ive seen many here raging JUST because its different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Y'know what's tactical combat-ready? Elbow pads, knee pads, belt, pouches for throwing stars and smoke bombs, bandanna, and some bandages or tape.

That's all she wrote, Chuck.
Yeah, but thats not the take theyre going with. And the designs in the first movie worked against their established take, with the Turtles having assimilated to human culture far more than we've seen before.

That junk they wore in the first movie? Doesn't make sense.

The more tactical, padded gear they have in Half-Shell? That makes sense within that established context.


Quote:
I read every word, because I find people's opinions educational and informative, or sometimes the comedy equivalent of a small child desperately struggling to pull open a door clearly marked "push." And I wasn't educated or informed today, sadly.

Your point about the 2003 cartoon is fascinating. You know what series ran the best four seasons of TMNT that was ever the closest to the original source material? 2003. Only after THAT did we get Mystic Turtles, Future Turtles, and Cyber Turtles. Because TOYS.

You know what franchise hasn't sold enough of their toys? Platinum Dunes. Cold hard facts, son. I know it's unpleasant, but sooner or later, you must face the truth.

Know that we'll all be waiting for you on the other side, with a big heaping plate of hot gooey "We Told You So."
Yeah, I'm not denying the first four seasons of TMNT are damn good television, and just about the best TMNT anything out there. But the later seasons (Fast Forward, Back to the Sewers, etc) are just as much a part of that series, regardless of why those changes.

And I'm sorry, but Cyber Shredder and Feudal Demon Shredder are no less outlandish than what we got in the 2014 movie.

And as far as that toy comment..... of course. That's one of the main reasons FOR the constant reinvention this franchise undergoes. TMNT is all about the mother f-ing toys.

And again, I can't grasp why people act so damn shocked when they make big changes. Toy motivated or not.
TurtleMikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #188
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
The elbow-length fetish gloves are so "bad-ass", while totally keeping with tradition.

Yeah, that sh*t's not totally poorly over-designed at all. My f*cking mistake, clearly.

Last edited by Leo656; 12-02-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:15 AM   #189
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist
 
DarkLightDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,026
I freakin love the tags here right now.

It's good to be back.
DarkLightDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:18 AM   #190
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLightDragon View Post
I freakin love the tags here right now.

It's good to be back.
You were missed.

Seriously, I only discovered the magic of tags on this thread. My life is forever changed.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:18 AM   #191
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
Some of these justifications and deflections, guys...



Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleMikey View Post
Ive seen many here raging JUST because its different.
Where? Show me. I've seen a lot of people complaining because it's worse, but that's not the same as complaining because it's "different". And along with that, stating a preference for the original designs over these ones isn't just complaining because they're "different" no matter how much you want to frame it that way.

These characters have had plenty of subtle redesigns over the years, and they usually go over fine because the core, classic design is left largely intact.

This situation, though? It's like adding cargo pants, sunglasses, and a leather loincloth to Spider-Man's costume. That's objectively worse than his classic design, and it's not being "afraid of change" that would upset people about that.
__________________

Last edited by Bry; 12-02-2015 at 09:28 AM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:20 AM   #192
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist
 
DarkLightDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
You were missed.

Seriously, I only discovered the magic of tags on this thread. My life is forever changed.
Felt I needed a long break from the craziness this board tends to have. Only to realize how much I missed it.

I'm here to stay bitches for now and for long.
DarkLightDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:23 AM   #193
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Some of these justifications and deflections, guys...

http://arvinddevalia.images.s3.amazo...rbackwards.jpg



Where? Show me. I've seen a lot of people complaining because it's worse, but that's not the same as complaining because it's "different". And stating a preference for the original designs over these ones isn't just complaining because they're "different".
Shut up, Bry. The first movie designs were awful, but these are clearly different.

PANTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLightDragon View Post
Felt I needed a long break from the craziness this board tends to have. Only to realize how much I missed it.

I'm here to stay bitches for now and for long.
When I need a break from the craziness, I just put the crazy on "Ignore" for a couple of weeks. Believe me, that helps.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:24 AM   #194
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
And it's not "subjective". Bad design is bad design. Those designs are BAD. Whether or not someone wants to overlook that is their own personal choice. But not everything is a matter of opinion. Those designs are poor. I'm sorry, only a goddamn fool would argue otherwise. It's been said, and re-said, explained and extrapolated upon.

People who say the designs are bad have given hundreds of reasons WHY they are bad, since before the first movie, and continue to do so with these "updated" designs.

People who say the designs are good, can only give "I think they are good, and that is my opinion." That's literally the only argument that isn't a complete arms-length ass-extraction. And it's weak and worthless.

"Well, *I* like them." We get it. Means nothing. The designs are bad. If people like them, all that means is that those individuals can't tell good character design from bad design. Congratulations, you may be Rob Liefeld.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:25 AM   #195
Mew
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: In an apartment
Posts: 3,159
The TMNT will look like this!
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:27 AM   #196
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
And it's not "subjective". Bad design is bad design. Those designs are BAD. Whether or not someone wants to overlook that is their own personal choice. But not everything is a matter of opinion. Those designs are poor. I'm sorry, only a goddamn fool would argue otherwise. It's been said, and re-said, explained and extrapolated upon.

People who say the designs are bad have given hundreds of reasons WHY they are bad, since before the first movie, and continue to do so with these "updated" designs.

People who say the designs are good, can only give "I think they are good, and that is my opinion." That's literally the only argument that isn't a complete arms-length ass-extraction. And it's weak and worthless.

"Well, *I* like them." We get it. Means nothing. The designs are bad. If people like them, all that means is that those individuals can't tell good character design from bad design. Congratulations, you may be Rob Liefeld.
Rob Liefeld... that's the dude who put manboobs on Captain America, right?
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #197
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Rob Liefeld... that's the dude who put manboobs on Captain America, right?
__________________
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:34 AM   #198
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
That is just all kinds of horrifying. MAKE. IT. STOP.

That one picture just switched me over to Team Tony in next year's Civil War.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:38 AM   #199
graphic_content
Mad Scientist
 
graphic_content's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
And it's not "subjective". Bad design is bad design. Those designs are BAD. Whether or not someone wants to overlook that is their own personal choice. But not everything is a matter of opinion. Those designs are poor. I'm sorry, only a goddamn fool would argue otherwise. It's been said, and re-said, explained and extrapolated upon.

..."Well, *I* like them." We get it. Means nothing. The designs are bad. If people like them, all that means is that those individuals can't tell good character design from bad design.
You are kinda contradicting yourself there bro - to say everything is a matter of opinion and personal choice, then state that only a fool would think the new designs are good, basically says you are invalidating, and basically writing off anyone else that thinks differently.

If opinion is opinion, and personal choice is just that, then what makes one more valid over the other?

There are design choices for the PD Turtles, that if I were in charge I would NOT have made, absolutely, but to proclaim outright that the designs are bad, and people that like them have no design-sense/taste - is no different in its approach for those that state, fans that dont like the changes, just can't handle change. BOTH proclamations are EQUALLY brash, and dismissive of others, and doesn't do anything to forward a conversation or an actual exchange of ideas.

Not trying to pick on you bro, as I have nothing against you - but there seems to be an overarching theme in these boards in general where people post their opinion, and if others DON'T agree, then clearly there is something wrong with those people. Just seems backwards to me.

Last edited by graphic_content; 12-02-2015 at 09:47 AM.
graphic_content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:39 AM   #200
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
But Liefeld is a gazillionaire and we're not, so clearly he's smarter than all of us. Only idiots master basic anatomy before becoming superstar comic book artists. Smart guys swipe a few dozen panels from old issues of Teen Titans and call it a f*cking career.
-----------

Read again more carefully GC: Nowhere do I ever state anything is "just a matter of opinion." That's never been my motto. My motto is, "Some things simply are what they f*cking are, and people's 'opinions' to the contrary are just them spitting in the wind." I think you misread what I was trying to say. No harm done.

But no, saying the TMNT movie designs are bad is NOT an opinion, it's a simple statement of fact. Someone saying they like the designs IS an opinion. And they have a right to it. But it's meaningless and it doesn't change the fact that the designs, from an unbiased, completely OBJECTIVE point of view, are bad. Like the movie itself. People can like the movie. It was still bad. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. The designs are poorly done, and the movie was poorly made.

Put simply - and I've said this before - Opinions don't outweigh Facts. That's the distinction.

Last edited by Leo656; 12-02-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
benjamin shhhh, complaining :p, destroying my childhood!, horror, michael bay's tmnt, someonestopthemadness, tags added by autobot, the fancypants rants, thinkofthechildren, trollortreater bitching


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.