The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2014, 08:53 PM   #301
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
I think you way over-think things where Don is concerned. Casey, however, has certainly done some things that would be called sexual harassment IRL. At least Donnie knows to keep his hands to himself! (Though I bet he WISHES....)
Yeah, I can't not rage a bit over Casey's grabby hands in the upcoming episode - I try to stay mellow about most things, but bodily autonomy is a hot button issue for me.

Time for me to take some deep, calming breaths.
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #302
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite
 
BabyTurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
Not to add to the shipping war thing but...

The next episode involves mind swapping, and Casey and April swap (Casey is in April's body and vice versa). In the preview, Casey takes advantage of this and touches April's butt, since he has control of her body, and April says "Stop pinching your own butt Casey!".

But Donnie is the creep, right?
they can both be creeps together.

Donnie is the stalkish creep.
Casey is the pervy creep.

if I was April....i'd just avoid both of them. (at least until they learn the meaning of personal space)

but in all seriousness...could they have at least portrayed one of them less creepy.....T^T I mean if April HAS to be with one of them....

at this point, I'm not comfortable with either option.
__________________

Last edited by BabyTurtles; 06-16-2014 at 09:13 PM.
BabyTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:14 PM   #303
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
Then again, I also think Casey is illustrating the common male mind-set here. How many times have you heard a guy say something like "if I had a pair of those, I'd never quit playing with them."? Most guys say it jokingly, of course, but what if they really COULD be in a woman's body for a day? Chances are, most of them would be doing the same thing. It's there for laughs here, but it DOES kind of make a certain statement on how a lot of guys think....
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:18 PM   #304
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
I think you way over-think things where Don is concerned. Casey, however, has certainly done some things that would be called sexual harassment IRL. At least Donnie knows to keep his hands to himself! (Though I bet he WISHES....)
I don't. He's creepy. He's disrespected April just as Casey has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Then again, I also think Casey is illustrating the common male mind-set here. How many times have you heard a guy say something like "if I had a pair of those, I'd never quit playing with them."? Most guys say it jokingly, of course, but what if they really COULD be in a woman's body for a day? Chances are, most of them would be doing the same thing. It's there for laughs here, but it DOES kind of make a certain statement on how a lot of guys think....
If they could be in a woman's body for a day, I can GUARANTEE, with 100% UNERRING CERTAINTY that they would despise it.

Sure, if they knew going in that'd just be for a day, they probably would have fun with it. But their brain does not match their body. It would very much drive almost any man completely over the edge if they had to be trapped in the wrong body for an uncertain period of time, perhaps even for the rest of their life.

Nobody wants to live in a body that is very clearly not what they really are. Not a difficult concept to understand if you think about it for a second.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:21 PM   #305
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite
 
BabyTurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Then again, I also think Casey is illustrating the common male mind-set here. How many times have you heard a guy say something like "if I had a pair of those, I'd never quit playing with them."? Most guys say it jokingly, of course, but what if they really COULD be in a woman's body for a day? Chances are, most of them would be doing the same thing. It's there for laughs here, but it DOES kind of make a certain statement on how a lot of guys think....
plz skip to 3:20~

__________________
BabyTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #306
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Then again, I also think Casey is illustrating the common male mind-set here. How many times have you heard a guy say something like "if I had a pair of those, I'd never quit playing with them."? Most guys say it jokingly, of course, but what if they really COULD be in a woman's body for a day? Chances are, most of them would be doing the same thing. It's there for laughs here, but it DOES kind of make a certain statement on how a lot of guys think....
Yeah, but I'd give my eye teeth for those same guys to then have the experience of being in a woman's body, to know what it's like to be walking down the street, minding your own business, and then have a total stranger reach out and grab your breast or butt.

Actually no, I'd never wish that experience on anyone in reality, but this just really bothers me. Most sexual assaults are carried out by someone known to the person - a "friend" touching your body that way without permission isn't ok, whether they have feelings for you or not, and playing it for laughs just ties into why so many people don't feel comfortable enough to speak up and assert their boundaries.

On a less serious note, there's definitely things I'd love to try if I were in a guy's body. I've always wondered whether peeing standing up is all it's cracked up to be!
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:36 PM   #307
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Then again, I also think Casey is illustrating the common male mind-set here. How many times have you heard a guy say something like "if I had a pair of those, I'd never quit playing with them."? Most guys say it jokingly, of course, but what if they really COULD be in a woman's body for a day? Chances are, most of them would be doing the same thing. It's there for laughs here, but it DOES kind of make a certain statement on how a lot of guys think....
I could say something similar of the reverse, but I'll keep it clean...

But heck, if the guys wanna have fun being a girl for a while, have at it. Just to note your (who ever the 'you' would be) first period will arrive in about a week to ten days... have fun!
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:54 AM   #308
Sighphi
Foot Soldier
 
Sighphi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTurtles View Post
plz skip to 3:20~

Holy crap! Velma looks way hotter than daphne.
Is that part of the story? I never seen those films.
Sighphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:07 AM   #309
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
So, Donnie knows April is in the park (which isn't a surprise because he has a pic of them together there and his brothers didn't react to it, until he said "date" as he did discover that which was an accident anyway and it was something he shouldn't have known, so their reactions were appropriate), and that's creepy, but Casey feeling up April without her consent isn't?

Seriously, outside of Donnie knowing exactly how many steps (or blocks or whatever it was) it is to April's place, I really don't find Donnie's actions too creepy, taking it all in context, but this is because I rewatched all of the eps. That feels more innocent anyway. Casey is definitely crossing a line...but realistically, I guess a guy who has no problem with physical boundaries (he showed that in his debut ep, getting down to it), I guess it's to be expected? Or some guys in general? Who knows. I know if I was trapped in a guy's body, I'd want back in mine asap as the whole idea is disturbing. I wouldn't want to do anything that requires me to have to remove clothing.

Hm, Casey as a girl though....I wonder how long he could endure it. What if it was "that time of the month" at the time of the switch. lol
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:37 PM   #310
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!
 
MsMarvelDuckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Posts: 8,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
I don't. He's creepy. He's disrespected April just as Casey has.


If they could be in a woman's body for a day, I can GUARANTEE, with 100% UNERRING CERTAINTY that they would despise it.

Sure, if they knew going in that'd just be for a day, they probably would have fun with it. But their brain does not match their body. It would very much drive almost any man completely over the edge if they had to be trapped in the wrong body for an uncertain period of time, perhaps even for the rest of their life.

Nobody wants to live in a body that is very clearly not what they really are. Not a difficult concept to understand if you think about it for a second.

Donnie has been nothing but a gentleman to her. Casey on the other hand, has no respect for personal boundaries. Donnie may be OCD/a little obsessive, but he has always respected her opinions and wishes. (And don't blast me about following her; as creepy as you like to paint it, he was mainly concerned with keeping her SAFE. Because, y'know- the Kraang..... Personal feelings aside, his following her was at least justified by the situation and legitimate concern.) Casey has tried to worm his way into EVERYTHING she does, ditch Irma, and flirt outrageously and even annoyingly at every turn. Sort of like, you know, a typical teen male who can't take no for an answer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
Yeah, but I'd give my eye teeth for those same guys to then have the experience of being in a woman's body, to know what it's like to be walking down the street, minding your own business, and then have a total stranger reach out and grab your breast or butt.

Actually no, I'd never wish that experience on anyone in reality, but this just really bothers me. Most sexual assaults are carried out by someone known to the person - a "friend" touching your body that way without permission isn't ok, whether they have feelings for you or not, and playing it for laughs just ties into why so many people don't feel comfortable enough to speak up and assert their boundaries.

On a less serious note, there's definitely things I'd love to try if I were in a guy's body. I've always wondered whether peeing standing up is all it's cracked up to be!

Agreed. Guys usually don't seem to appreciate the problems that come with being female. They don't realize how lucky they are. And on the subject of being a guy, I've always wondered what it would be like to be able to do that, not to mention not having to deal with boobs bouncing every which way when you go jogging (sadly, if you're over a certain bust-size, even sports bras don't help!) and other inconveniences of the female body. Pregnancy would be tops on my list of "things I wish guys could experience just ONCE". It would certainly cut down on unplanned pregnancies if THEY had to deal with the consequences personally!


Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
So, Donnie knows April is in the park (which isn't a surprise because he has a pic of them together there and his brothers didn't react to it, until he said "date" as he did discover that which was an accident anyway and it was something he shouldn't have known, so their reactions were appropriate), and that's creepy, but Casey feeling up April without her consent isn't?

Seriously, outside of Donnie knowing exactly how many steps (or blocks or whatever it was) it is to April's place, I really don't find Donnie's actions too creepy, taking it all in context, but this is because I rewatched all of the eps. That feels more innocent anyway. Casey is definitely crossing a line...but realistically, I guess a guy who has no problem with physical boundaries (he showed that in his debut ep, getting down to it), I guess it's to be expected? Or some guys in general? Who knows. I know if I was trapped in a guy's body, I'd want back in mine asap as the whole idea is disturbing. I wouldn't want to do anything that requires me to have to remove clothing.

Hm, Casey as a girl though....I wonder how long he could endure it. What if it was "that time of the month" at the time of the switch. lol

Donnie knowing she would be there wasn't even as weird as him knowing she was on a date. As for knowing how many steps it was to her place in that one ep, he has already shown several signs of being OCD. Counting steps is a common sign of that disorder, so it never even blipped on my radar as "creepy" Why SHOULD it?! My husband does the same thing when walking from the house to the Shell station down the street. Or when he was working across town. He knew how many steps to get there, too. Bet Donnie could do that with almost any location they've been to. His mind never shuts off, so even when running the rooftops, he is likely calculating all sorts of random trivial data!
__________________
"You IDIOTS! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -from "Spaceballs"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:57 AM   #311
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Donnie has been nothing but a gentleman to her.
WRONG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Donnie may be OCD/a little obsessive, but he has always respected her opinions and wishes. (And don't blast me about following her; as creepy as you like to paint it, he was mainly concerned with keeping her SAFE. Because, y'know- the Kraang..... Personal feelings aside, his following her was at least justified by the situation and legitimate concern.)
WRONG again. He didn't have any "legitimate concern" in his mind. He thinks with his dick. He's smart enough to know that she would be in danger, so he followed her so he could get a chance to save her, all by himself. Yep, he definitely wants her safe alright! But only because it coincides with his personal wishes!

He's very disrespectful towards her! "My April"? Taking pictures of her without permission? Making that despicable flow chart? How about I shove a rake down your throat, Donatello? You don't get a free pass to continue being terrible just because Casey did something ****** as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Casey has tried to worm his way into EVERYTHING she does, ditch Irma, and flirt outrageously and even annoyingly at every turn. Sort of like, you know, a typical teen male who can't take no for an answer.
CORRECT! This doesn't mean Donnie is the better option.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:35 AM   #312
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Donnie knowing she would be there wasn't even as weird as him knowing she was on a date.
That's what I pretty much said. His knowing that she usually studies there wasn't the problem, his knowing about the date was as he shouldn't have known. He did go there to get the guts to confront her, I felt, and then saw her with Casey. Getting down to it, how was it even following? He fell and was curious but he obviously didn't stick around and somehow managed to sneak off without their seeing.
Quote:
As for knowing how many steps it was to her place in that one ep, he has already shown several signs of being OCD. Counting steps is a common sign of that disorder, so it never even blipped on my radar as "creepy" Why SHOULD it?! My husband does the same thing when walking from the house to the Shell station down the street. Or when he was working across town. He knew how many steps to get there, too. Bet Donnie could do that with almost any location they've been to. His mind never shuts off, so even when running the rooftops, he is likely calculating all sorts of random trivial data!
You know, you're right. He does act a bit OCD. If that's the case, and the writers' intention never mind. I mean if they can make Mikey ADD, why not make the over thinker OCD, right?
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #313
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac
 
Donatello19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 5,919
The writers have said numerous times that Don has OCD and Mikey has ADD.
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #314
Lou 500
Hench Mutant
 
Lou 500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
The writers have said numerous times that Don has OCD and Mikey has ADD.
And I suppose Raph has intermittent explosive disorder, right? Yeah, let's label them with mental problems rather than settling with the fact that they just have colourful personalities.
Lou 500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #315
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou 500 View Post
And I suppose Raph has intermittent explosive disorder, right? Yeah, let's label them with mental problems rather than settling with the fact that they just have colourful personalities.
*Netkeeper liked this post
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #316
NoName999
Foot Soldier
 
NoName999's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: The Void
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
The writers have said numerous times that Don has OCD and Mikey has ADD.
Does it bother anybody else that the writers are using anxiety disorders that affect a lot of people on Earth just for laughs?
__________________
NoName999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #317
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName999 View Post
Does it bother anybody else that the writers are using anxiety disorders that affect a lot of people on Earth just for laughs?
YES. It bothers me a LOT. Not only are they using them for laughs, but excuses, as well. "We're making this incarnation of Michelangelo really stupid, and his brothers and even Splinter berate him all the time, also he has ADD"

THAT ISN'T FUNNY.
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #318
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
I know you guys just wanna be social justice warriors but it's more reasonable to call it humanizing the turtles.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:34 PM   #319
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,289
They've literally stated they're OCD and ADD? That's a little...

Gray area for me for the most part. I don't really hear them being direct about it in the show; if it's mainly some of the quirks they've woven into the makeup of the characters but don't use the show to mock these conditions then I'm ok with it.

If they chose to be more direct about something... ehh.. if done right and the writers seek out the proper info from mental professionals I don't find it wrong to show how a character might struggle with an issue and deal with or overcome it in ways that a young viewer with a similar issue might be able to pick up. We've already got Raph trying to rein in his anger issues; Leo in the past (and somewhat present?) has confidence issues and needing to sometimes regain belief in himself...

As someone who had very bad anxiety issues as a child, to the point of frequent anxiety attacks, but over came it on my own and learned a lot about my own inner strength because of it... If one of the characters had something happen that caused them terrible anxiety but overcame it as well and found that strength, as long as it was done right I'd be ok with that. It's a better message to me than what society likes to suggest with just medicating everything.

But that's my two cents.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:59 PM   #320
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName999 View Post
Does it bother anybody else that the writers are using anxiety disorders that affect a lot of people on Earth just for laughs?
No, and I guess it's because I don't think of it as comedic...just a way to humanize him. Personally, Donnie's quirks is what eventually won me over to favoring his character. It makes him more interesting, imo. It's also interesting to note that despite Donnie being younger than Raph, he's usually second after Leo to be trusted with leading since both characters are known to be the most calm and patient whereas Raph and Mikey were the most impatient. For this incarnation I couldn't see Donnie helping to lead at all because of how openly emotional he is.

Any, going slightly back on topic, as far as Mikey goes though, it does bother me. The ADD thing already bothered me, but seeing as how kids these days seem to be diagnosed with it left and right, I could see them showing it. I can give them a pass on this. Just wish they'd ditch the "stupid" thing. As I think Netkeeper mentioned, the others don't really respect him and berate and belittle him. Yes they've calmed down a lot, but I hate when stupidity is used for humor at the expense of a character that shouldn't be. OT Bebop and Rocksteady sure. OT Usagi Yojimbo's ignorance of the modern world, ok. Mikey (and the others for that matter) not understanding Donnie's science talk, ok. That type of humor I like.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.