The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2014, 11:40 PM   #301
Davetello
Banned
 
Davetello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Glasgow, Scotland, The Ununited Kingdom
Posts: 1,712
Yeah, agree with most of what has been posted since my previous post. Tarantino's work is interesting from a sociological standpoint - his films are more than just entertainment - they are influential in other ways too. We can squabble over the extent but as they do move beyond cinema. You could say the same about the work of the Coen brothers etc, as well.

There was a horror film about a guy who was a serial killer, and it's just sick gore from start to finish - it even featured the gruesome murder of a little girl. It's been banned in lots of countries. I can't remember what it's called, but I'm sure "Murder" is in the title.
Davetello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:24 AM   #302
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davetello View Post
That's fair enough mate - I can see why the film would elicit those type of repugnant feelings. Everyone has a different view of things, and the great thing is that there's plenty of variety out there

The rape scene is pretty strong, I must admit. I first seen the film when I was about 14 and started to watch it more often from 19 onwards, so I was still fairly young on my initial exposure to it. It is overwhelming at some points and you do need a strong stomach.
I have strong reaction to rape in general, given a personal issue but that was the worst. I prefer stuff implied.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:10 PM   #303
Logan
Hench Mutant
 
Logan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 483
The Dark Knight is overrated. Also, while I think Heath Ledger gave a good performance, he was less like the Joker and more like someone Hannibal Lecter would help profile.
__________________
We're a team; and as a team let's go kick some ass!

-Leonardo

Logan the Layman Critic, a youtube channel for movie reviews and animation appreciation.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjn...xrKPml1WlYh6Mw
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #304
AT-Man
I SEEN IT
 
AT-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: FIN
Posts: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davetello View Post
There was a horror film about a guy who was a serial killer, and it's just sick gore from start to finish - it even featured the gruesome murder of a little girl. It's been banned in lots of countries. I can't remember what it's called, but I'm sure "Murder" is in the title.
I'm intrigued, please tell me if you remember the name!
__________________

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:44 PM   #305
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
The rape seen in Pulp Fiction is still unwatchable to me and my reaction was terribly strong...but I'm always like that with rape stuff, but this one was the strongest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I have strong reaction to rape in general, given a personal issue but that was the worst. I prefer stuff implied.
I'm the same, dude - I can't handle any type of sexual violence in movies. Or when they hurt animals in movies... which is why websites like doesthedogdie.com come in really handy for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Honestly, over-the-top gore and such isn't exactly my taste, believe it or not. I mean, it has its place, but it doesn't impress me in and of itself. I've just seen so much stuff overall, though, that Tarantino's stuff hardly seems "bad" at all. I mean even the first few minutes of "Saving Private Ryan" were way "worse" than anything Tarantino ever did. If anything his stuff is more disturbing on a cerebral level than gory/violent.

I don't have a problem with violence per se, but I feel some filmmakers do over-rely on it for shock value in place of story or character development and I'm not a fan of that. I simply don't agree that Tarantino's movies fall into that category.

"Audition" is one of those movies I've read about (but haven't seen) that make me go, "Hmmm... people are sicker than I thought, and they somehow get lots of money to bring their ideas to life." That one, and "A Serbian Film", which I don't plan to ever watch, like ever. Never ever. It showed up in an article about movies that'll ruin you for life or some sh*t like that, so I read about it on wikipedia, and it's like... holy sh*t, man. Ooooof. (I highly suggest NOT reading about it unless you want to keep anything you've eaten today down, incidentally...)
I've heard about A Serbian Film and that's one I'll definitely steer clear of til my dying day - the other half has watched it and just hearing about it was bad enough.

I don't really think of myself as an anti-violence in movies person, it's more that I can only handle it without it affecting my mood if it's done in a non-realistic context. Stuff like Saving Private Ryan (or any war movie in general) is a total no-go for me - anything that reminds me too much of real life just depresses me. Hence why I have a lot of trouble with the goreno genre, like Hostel and Saw and Wolf Creek - anything that taps into how meanspirited the world can actually be just bums me out.

What can I say, I'm a delicate snowflake.
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #306
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Knoxville,TN
Posts: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Honestly, over-the-top gore and such isn't exactly my taste, believe it or not. I mean, it has its place, but it doesn't impress me in and of itself. I've just seen so much stuff overall, though, that Tarantino's stuff hardly seems "bad" at all. I mean even the first few minutes of "Saving Private Ryan" were way "worse" than anything Tarantino ever did. If anything his stuff is more disturbing on a cerebral level than gory/violent.

I don't have a problem with violence per se, but I feel some filmmakers do over-rely on it for shock value in place of story or character development and I'm not a fan of that. I simply don't agree that Tarantino's movies fall into that category.

"Audition" is one of those movies I've read about (but haven't seen) that make me go, "Hmmm... people are sicker than I thought, and they somehow get lots of money to bring their ideas to life." That one, and "A Serbian Film", which I don't plan to ever watch, like ever. Never ever. It showed up in an article about movies that'll ruin you for life or some sh*t like that, so I read about it on wikipedia, and it's like... holy sh*t, man. Ooooof. (I highly suggest NOT reading about it unless you want to keep anything you've eaten today down, incidentally...)
You know what's weird is I really consider Tarantino's violence more "cartoony" I guess. It's almost like it's lighthearted or something. The violence that gets to me more is like the violence in a Scorcese film where it is more realistic than stylized. I mean the scene in Goodfellas where Henry pistol whips the guy is incredibly brutal. If Tarantino did that scene there would be blood spewing out of their heads like a geyser.
__________________
Go Ninja! Go Ninja! GO!
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:32 PM   #307
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Knoxville,TN
Posts: 996
I guess this is an unpopular opinion. Internet fads are incredibly annoying. I'm looking at you "ice bucket challenge"!!!!!!!!!!! If you want to help people then just give them your dang money. How many people just pour water on themselves and then brag about it on facebook? Why can't people just do good deeds and keep their mouths shut anymore? I actually know a guy that died from ALS about a year ago. I would love for a cure to be found but this whole thing of just pouring water on yourself to look funny on facebook is going to eventually just jade people and the whole thing will go the way of the dinosaur.
__________________
Go Ninja! Go Ninja! GO!
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:46 PM   #308
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Yeah, I much prefer how a lot of athletes and celebrities are flat-out sh*tting on the fad and just - GASP - donating money and not jumping up and down saying "Look at me! I'm helping!" I mean, yeah, it's raised awareness for a good cause and they made more money this year than last year and all that, and that's great... but it's a sad f***ing commentary on society when people only do good things because they have a camera on them and they can get a few dozen "Likes" on FB for it. Plus, I promise you that at least 75% of those people don't donate a goddamn dime, which undermines the entire thing.

Again, good for the fact they raised some money, but I cannot f***ing stand this goddamn "Look At Me!" culture full of "internet celebrities".
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:03 AM   #309
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Knoxville,TN
Posts: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Yeah, I much prefer how a lot of athletes and celebrities are flat-out sh*tting on the fad and just - GASP - donating money and not jumping up and down saying "Look at me! I'm helping!" I mean, yeah, it's raised awareness for a good cause and they made more money this year than last year and all that, and that's great... but it's a sad f***ing commentary on society when people only do good things because they have a camera on them and they can get a few dozen "Likes" on FB for it. Plus, I promise you that at least 75% of those people don't donate a goddamn dime, which undermines the entire thing.

Again, good for the fact they raised some money, but I cannot f***ing stand this goddamn "Look At Me!" culture full of "internet celebrities".
That's what I'm getting at is how people just pound their chest over doing something nice. It is one of the many reasons I absolutely despise facebook because it gives people this sense of self importance that has became a detriment to society. Maybe the next internet challenge should be "who wants to jump off a bridge"???
__________________
Go Ninja! Go Ninja! GO!
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:13 AM   #310
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
I hear ya, man. I'm so disturbed by the thought of coming off as an attention-seeking sycophant like the rest of 'em, that I make it a point to never do anything for anyone, ever. That way nobody can ever accuse me of doing things solely for self-gratification, and I get the personal satisfaction of doing nothing.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:18 AM   #311
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Knoxville,TN
Posts: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I hear ya, man. I'm so disturbed by the thought of coming off as an attention-seeking sycophant like the rest of 'em, that I make it a point to never do anything for anyone, ever. That way nobody can ever accuse me of doing things solely for self-gratification, and I get the personal satisfaction of doing nothing.
LOL! It's like the Homer Simpson quote about how failure just teaches you there's really no point in even trying. There should be a new challenge called the "give money and don't pound your chest" challenge and THEN see how much money is given. The cause would probably go bankrupt in like a week. Sigh.
__________________
Go Ninja! Go Ninja! GO!
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #312
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
I find the "ice bucket challenge" thing pretty silly as well. haven't bothered watching any of those videos. Why's it so surprising that some people have the guts to take that challenge anyway? I've taken cold showers before and it's not exactly an herculean task.

Anyway, I don't really like this whole social network phenomenon and the need of people taking selfies almost everyday when they're at the beach or at a restaurant. As if it's a big shock that people go to those places.
And yes, I have tried some of those social networks and have a FB account like most people do, and I can say that social networks are all basically the same crap. If you have an account on one, you don't need to create one on another social network.

Oh and another thing, screw reality tv. Not only there's a lot of fakeness in it but it's also terrible entertainment. I watch tv, read novels, play games, etc. for escapism. Real life is boring and quite ****** as times. If I want to deal with reality I'll just go outside or open my mail box.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:40 AM   #313
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Knoxville,TN
Posts: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I find the "ice bucket challenge" thing pretty silly as well. haven't bothered watching any of those videos. Why's it so surprising that some people have the guts to take that challenge anyway? I've taken cold showers before and it's not exactly an herculean task.

Anyway, I don't really like this whole social network phenomenon and the need of people taking selfies almost everyday when they're at the beach or at a restaurant. As if it's a big shock that people go to those places.
And yes, I have tried some of those social networks and have a FB account like most people do, and I can say that social networks are all basically the same crap. If you have an account on one, you don't need to create one on another social network.

Oh and another thing, screw reality tv. Not only there's a lot of fakeness in it but it's also terrible entertainment. I watch tv, read novels, play games, etc. for escapism. Real life is boring and quite ****** as times. If I want to deal with reality I'll just go outside or open my mail box.
I agree totally. That is why I find fb so dang annoying is because it just seems to be so incredibly self aggrandizing. "Selfies" are one of the most conceited things that one can do. I just want to say that I like everyone on here and we are all fellow fans of a great franchise and have many things in common. However, I do not give one single, lone, solitary, crap about what you ate for supper or what you just saw outside your window or what you did at work today or where you are going when you get off or whatever else! I hope you all feel the same exact way about me. Life is boring and computers can't change that. That is also why I hate "reality" tv as well. Who gives a crap about some trashy people in Jersey or LA or some washed up former rock star? Not me. If people were really interested in them they would buy their music and they wouldn't need a stupid tv show.
__________________
Go Ninja! Go Ninja! GO!
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #314
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! View Post
I agree totally. That is why I find fb so dang annoying is because it just seems to be so incredibly self aggrandizing. "Selfies" are one of the most conceited things that one can do. I just want to say that I like everyone on here and we are all fellow fans of a great franchise and have many things in common. However, I do not give one single, lone, solitary, crap about what you ate for supper or what you just saw outside your window or what you did at work today or where you are going when you get off or whatever else! I hope you all feel the same exact way about me. Life is boring and computers can't change that. That is also why I hate "reality" tv as well. Who gives a crap about some trashy people in Jersey or LA or some washed up former rock star? Not me. If people were really interested in them they would buy their music and they wouldn't need a stupid tv show.
Facebook is a battle of "likes", basically. And speaking of them, I don't like how they're in most big sites these days. They're basically a simplified version of the rating system.

I mostly share music, videos and funny pictures with my friends on FB. Even though I have an android smartphone, I never feel the need to take it out of my pocket at a public place to take a picture of my food or a selfie to then share on FB immediately. Hell, I don't even have the FB app in my phone.

Not everything is bad, though. It's good to keep in touch with people you haven't seen in a while, especially if they're in another city or country. Couldn't keep in touch with someone like that easily 20 years ago. And then there's also those hot female friends who love showing off their pics at the beach/poolside that always get a **** ton of likes. I refuse to feed their ego, though.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #315
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Knoxville,TN
Posts: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Facebook is a battle of "likes", basically. And speaking of them, I don't like how they're in most big sites these days. They're basically a simplified version of the rating system.

I mostly share music, videos and funny pictures with my friends on FB. Even though I have an android smartphone, I never feel the need to take it out of my pocket at a public place to take a picture of my food or a selfie to then share on FB immediately. Hell, I don't even have the FB app in my phone.

Not everything is bad, though. It's good to keep in touch with people you haven't seen in a while, especially if they're in another city or country. Couldn't keep in touch with someone like that easily 20 years ago. And then there's also those hot female friends who love showing off their pics at the beach/poolside that always get a **** ton of likes. I refuse to feed their ego, though.
LOL! Facebook has pretty much eliminated the need for high school reunions. I mean people are all up in each other's business on a minute by minute basis now. Here is a question I have. When people see their fb "friends" in public is it awkward? I mean I just figure is people realllly wanted to be friends they would just never lose contact with each other ya know?
__________________
Go Ninja! Go Ninja! GO!
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #316
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! View Post
LOL! Facebook has pretty much eliminated the need for high school reunions. I mean people are all up in each other's business on a minute by minute basis now. Here is a question I have. When people see their fb "friends" in public is it awkward? I mean I just figure is people realllly wanted to be friends they would just never lose contact with each other ya know?
What sucks for people who don't have FB is that they never know when people are planning to gather at some place since every invitation for a hangout is by creating an "event" on FB these days.

I'm not sure what you mean. People usually know the people they add as friends on FB. They might not talk much to them at school/work, but they add them nonetheless. And this bring another problem: Co-workers and even supervisors or your boss wanting to befriend you on FB. It's best to lie and tell them you don't have FB, but they still are gonna think that you're hiding something since most people seem to have a FB these days. And if you happen to have a friend in common with one of them, they might find out sooner or later you were lying to them. And let's not forget people have been fired for posting stuff on FB before.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #317
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Knoxville,TN
Posts: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
What sucks for people who don't have FB is that they never know when people are planning to gather at some place since every invitation for a hangout is by creating an "event" on FB these days.

I'm not sure what you mean. People usually know the people they add as friends on FB. They might not talk much to them at school/work, but they add them nonetheless. And this bring another problem: Co-workers and even supervisors or your boss wanting to befriend you on FB. It's best to lie and tell them you don't have FB, but they still are gonna think that you're hiding something since most people seem to have a FB these days. And if you happen to have a friend in common with one of them, they might find out sooner or later you were lying to them. And let's not forget people have been fired for posting stuff on FB before.
Well I've known a lot of people to have like hundreds of friends and a lot of them were people they didn't actually know. I mean what if you don't "like" something they put and then run in to them in public. Would it be awkward? I've read that people on social media suffer more from depression because they don't get as many "likes" as other people. Also I've read that people's vacation pics are a source of sadness for some because they feel their lives aren't as fulfilling. That is really sad that people could even think of something as stupid as that but it's true. Also I've read the divorce rate is astronomically high among big time users.
__________________
Go Ninja! Go Ninja! GO!
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:55 AM   #318
Prowler
Emperor
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 9,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! View Post
Well I've known a lot of people to have like hundreds of friends and a lot of them were people they didn't actually know. I mean what if you don't "like" something they put and then run in to them in public. Would it be awkward? I've read that people on social media suffer more from depression because they don't get as many "likes" as other people. Also I've read that people's vacation pics are a source of sadness for some because they feel their lives aren't as fulfilling. That is really sad that people could even think of something as stupid as that but it's true. Also I've read the divorce rate is astronomically high among big time users.
People on FB are being as real about their lives and themselves as they are at bars or nightclubs. They just want to show how "cool" they and their lives are, making you believe they're constantly at the beach or some nice place. And like I've said in my previous post, it's a battle of "likes", thus a popularity contest pretty much.

Being in front of a computer screen gives people the courage to say things they wouldn't dare to say in real life. I have seen a few arguments and some dirty laundry being aired on someone's FB wall before and it was awkward and embarrassing to watch even if I wasn't involved in it. I also defend that people shouldn't share their relationship status on FB, because if they break up with their lover someday, the update of their relationship status will be a cause for a commotion on FB. I also find it funny(read "ridiculous") when people have "it's complicated" in their relationship status. As if it's anyone's business if their current relationship is rocky. Why would you even want to share that with the world?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:12 PM   #319
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Knoxville,TN
Posts: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
People on FB are being as real about their lives and themselves as they are at bars or nightclubs. They just want to show how "cool" they and their lives are, making you believe they're constantly at the beach or some nice place. And like I've said in my previous post, it's a battle of "likes", thus a popularity contest pretty much.

Being in front of a computer screen gives people the courage to say things they wouldn't dare to say in real life. I have seen a few arguments and some dirty laundry being aired on someone's FB wall before and it was awkward and embarrassing to watch even if I wasn't involved in it. I also defend that people shouldn't share their relationship status on FB, because if they break up with their lover someday, the update of their relationship status will be a cause for a commotion on FB. I also find it funny(read "ridiculous") when people have "it's complicated" in their relationship status. As if it's anyone's business if their current relationship is rocky. Why would you even want to share that with the world?
I know dude but man American society is so incredibly self absorbed it's sickening.
__________________
Go Ninja! Go Ninja! GO!
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:05 PM   #320
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
What exactly is the ice bucket challenge? I use FB but mostly the private messaging function with my friends back home. I don't pay a lot of attention to things on FB unless it catches my eye because mostly people only post updates that I don't need to know about "I'm washing dishes" or something trivial.

Outside of traveling, I don't do this on FB. If traveling I will maybe share where I am or my next destination. Week before last I was traveling around south Japan so I shared some of that info and some of my photos (some foods since I'd never had them before).

I guess that bugs me about FB, people who constantly updates what they do..."I ate dinner!" Usually when I write something, it's generally long or I'm sharing something nostalgic or something I know some friends may find interesting (like that Kingdom Hearts timeline video I posted a couple of days ago) or my posting that I will be returning stateside in late October for a vacation so that those who care can start making plans.

FB can be useful though. It helped a lot when the tsunami/earthquake thing hit here in 2011. No one knew where I was. Luckily, my family used FB and found out I was safe (I managed to find a phone) and they let everyone know I was safe and just fled the city with some strangers and went to the nearby town, about an hour away by car, which had running water and power, which was why even those in my town couldn't find me.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.