The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2017, 12:29 PM   #301
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harukuro View Post

- The writers treat women characters with respect and not simply as love interests

- Less "throw in all of the TMNT characters and the kitchen sink in the show and do nothing with them" and more "introduce characters as necessary and have them contribute to the plot"
IDW does this too, I don't understand why people act like this is exclusive to Nick.

IDW has been going out of its way to basically introduce almost every important character from every previous TMNT series.
CyberCubed is offline  
Old 03-05-2017, 12:46 PM   #302
Harukuro
Foot Soldier
 
Harukuro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
IDW does this too, I don't understand why people act like this is exclusive to Nick.

IDW has been going out of its way to basically introduce almost every important character from every previous TMNT series.
I agree that they do the latter, and in my opinion they usually do it very well, but not so much of the former. The Nickelodeon series is notoriously bad for how it wrote it's women characters, from Donatello acting like a pick-up artist who was creeping on April since their first meeting, to Raphael not even bothering to refer to Y'Gythgba by her real name and instead calling her by a pet name. And the only women characters who aren't love interests in the series usually end up being villains or disappear from the plot entirely

Though, I will admit IDW isn't perfect when it comes to writing relationships (especially in regards to them pairing up Angel with Woody even though he was creeping on her and she clearly did not like him, and April and Casey's current...issues), but at least they don't say that they are "maxed out" for women characters when they only have two characters. So, yeah IDW is leaps and bounds better at writing women characters in comparison to the 2k12 series.
__________________
"But before I go, I want you to know, Mikey, you have always been - and will always be - my hero. Farewell, my friend." - Slash (TMNT IDW #54)

Hoping that IDW Slash will finally be happy
Harukuro is offline  
Old 03-05-2017, 12:52 PM   #303
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative
 
GoldMutant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New England
Posts: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
IDW does this too, I don't understand why people act like this is exclusive to Nick.
The difference between IDW and Nick in terms of that is the execution of the characters. For example, despite being hinted at with Raphael, Alopex in IDW is an independent character.

With Nick, the execution of it's female characters is rather hit and miss. As I pointed out during early season 4:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
Quick summary of this all:

Karai- Continuous shift in her character. By that, I mean no sense of real identity (unless this part of season 4 brings something new) and she serves as a plot device since her mutation, mind control did nothing to advance the story except prolong her arc.

Irma (before the Sub-Prime reveal)- Extraneous character who served no purpose in nearly any episode she appeared in.

April- I wish not to comment on it as it's a difficult assessment, very subjective.

Renet and Mona- Until either reappear, both used as relationship fodder.

Queen and Rook (Utrom Council)- Shrouded in mystery that could be further explored, only used once.

It's not difficult to see why someone would be annoyed, most of them are relationship based or not used to their full potential. Unless Shinigami leaves an impression, I reserve my doubts.
This, to my knowledge, was written a bit prior to City at War being aired. I can now add Alopex and Shinigami to the list due to their debuts.

Shinigami- Honestly, she's just there. Interesting character, but seems a bit generic for my taste. However, a playful crush by Michelangelo is present.

Alopex- I cannot fully comment on this one right now as Tale of Tiger Claw and Requiem I have not seen in full. However, she seems to be a good character, just oddly placed in the series.

In total of the main known female characters, that makes 8 (9 if you count Irma prior to the reveal). 62.5% are love interests/crushes, which are Karai (until Broken Foot if it ended it), Mona Lisa, April, Renet, and Shinigami, even if they're strong characters on their own rights. It's still a slight majority and isn't doing any favors to personally like the characters.
__________________
GoldMutant is offline  
Old 03-05-2017, 12:56 PM   #304
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 11,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
You know, I never thought about ICK. I like her too much. lol She's more intelligent as a mutant and seems happy.

Didn't think much regarding Karai's mutation either, since she has control over it and her mind and seems Karai's never complained over it, so she may be done...unless she does complain about it during season 5.

Baxter, as we saw, hated his mutation, but apparently grew accustomed to it. The only henchmutants I could see wanting to be demutated at this point are Fishface and Bebop.

For me personally, I hope they do something on the Newtralizer (still surprised he wasn't mentioned during the space arc), the stuff regarding April's mother and hoping it involves Kurtzman, and hoping for the Cockroach Terminator to return in some way.

#1 is Timothy
#2 is April's mother
#3 Karai

I feel that ICK was a dumb mistakeof Mike's which the turtles would want to rectify.

Aside form that minor things. I do see those three being made into big deals and never resolved. Production on the show has finished so people saying there is a chance to still resolve certain plots need to realize there is no chance to do so now if it has not already been produced. Sure, it still can but its because it was already decided to be resolved in season 5 before the changeover.

Still like stated before and above by another,why no give the season a subtitle and overhaul making it a Redsky esque tweak instead of outright cancel and immediately replace?
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!
MikeandRaph87 is offline  
Old 03-05-2017, 12:59 PM   #305
Harukuro
Foot Soldier
 
Harukuro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
The difference between IDW and Nick in terms of that is the execution of the characters. For example, despite being hinted at with Raphael, Alopex in IDW is an independent character.

With Nick, the execution of it's female characters is rather hit and miss.

In total of the main known female characters, that makes 8 (9 if you count Irma prior to the reveal). 62.5% are love interests/crushes, which are Karai (until Broken Foot if it ended it), Mona Lisa, April, Renet, and Shinigami, even if they're strong characters on their own rights. It's still a slight majority and isn't doing any favors to personally like the characters.
Very good points here GoldMutant; the IDW series treats women characters like characters with their own agency, desires and goals. In the 2k12 series women characters are only there to be desired by the TMNT or to serve as a plot point. I would personally argue that 2k12 has more misses than hits, when it comes to it's women characters, but I can't speak for everyone.
__________________
"But before I go, I want you to know, Mikey, you have always been - and will always be - my hero. Farewell, my friend." - Slash (TMNT IDW #54)

Hoping that IDW Slash will finally be happy
Harukuro is offline  
Old 03-05-2017, 01:05 PM   #306
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative
 
GoldMutant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New England
Posts: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harukuro View Post
Very good points here GoldMutant; the IDW series treats women characters like characters with their own agency, desires and goals. In the 2k12 series women characters are only there to be desired by the TMNT or to serve as a plot point. I would personally argue that 2k12 has more misses than hits, when it comes to it's women characters, but I can't speak for everyone.
This thing was on the back of my mind too.

I mean, I would say primarily there's more misses too, its easily the execution which hurts them. Karai being the main example, alongside Mona Lisa. Honestly, the latter has been the biggest offender in terms of romance in the show for me, but Karai as a character comes close. Very subjective personally.

I would assume if more time were given to certain elements, they would be better. Lots of "what if" scenarios on the matters. Although we have one season left, I feel with the exception of April and both Karai and Alopex (depending on involvement), the females were just there.
__________________
GoldMutant is offline  
Old 03-05-2017, 01:30 PM   #307
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 11,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harukuro View Post
I agree that they do the latter, and in my opinion they usually do it very well, but not so much of the former. The Nickelodeon series is notoriously bad for how it wrote it's women characters, from Donatello acting like a pick-up artist who was creeping on April since their first meeting, to Raphael not even bothering to refer to Y'Gythgba by her real name and instead calling her by a pet name. And the only women characters who aren't love interests in the series usually end up being villains or disappear from the plot entirely

Though, I will admit IDW isn't perfect when it comes to writing relationships (especially in regards to them pairing up Angel with Woody even though he was creeping on her and she clearly did not like him, and April and Casey's current...issues), but at least they don't say that they are "maxed out" for women characters when they only have two characters. So, yeah IDW is leaps and bounds better at writing women characters in comparison to the 2k12 series.
I don't see Woody creeping on Angel. It was more like he was smitten with her form first sight and didn't know how to control what he was feeling. I don't pick that up from the Nick examples like I do with this IDW situation. I know there is the Raphael/Ninjara comparisons but was completely caught off gaurad b the romantic relationship talk of Raphael and Alopex. It seems organic they would be best friends of the opposite sex. I had a two different girls I grew close to and wasn't interested in romancing them. It was close friends of the opposite sex. Yet I had romantic feelings for another girl. It was organic in both situations of progression. The whole Raphael/Alopex seemed so much more a friendship not one that evolved into romance. Also,was Angel clearly saying Woody was her boyfriend or she has given into the idea of a date with him?
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!
MikeandRaph87 is offline  
Old 03-05-2017, 01:46 PM   #308
ssjup81
Foot Elite
 
ssjup81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Virginia (Back in the US)
Posts: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
#1 is Timothy
#2 is April's mother
#3 Karai

I feel that ICK was a dumb mistakeof Mike's which the turtles would want to rectify.
I would hope they would ask if she wants to be demutated. ^^
Quote:

Aside form that minor things. I do see those three being made into big deals and never resolved. Production on the show has finished so people saying there is a chance to still resolve certain plots need to realize there is no chance to do so now if it has not already been produced. Sure, it still can but its because it was already decided to be resolved in season 5 before the changeover.

Still like stated before and above by another,why no give the season a subtitle and overhaul making it a Redsky esque tweak instead of outright cancel and immediately replace?
As for Karai, what can they do? As I mentioned, she has control of her mind and her mutation. She's never shown contempt for it while in her right mind...it would seem out of nowhere to bring up how she hates her mutation, unless she starts showing side effects from it.

Timothy I'm split on. The writers already gave themselves a way out regarding him...it'll take about 70 years for him to thaw out.
ssjup81 is offline  
Old 03-05-2017, 01:58 PM   #309
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,805
Yeah, I don't think Karai cares about being de-mutated entirely. It doesn't matter anymore.
CyberCubed is offline  
Old 03-05-2017, 03:32 PM   #310
THGhost
Puppet Master
 
THGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 2,825
Reckon we'll get to see some footage for this new series once the current series has ended, or a little before?
__________________
-
-
-

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline  
Old 03-05-2017, 03:47 PM   #311
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 11,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
Reckon we'll get to see some footage for this new series once the current series has ended, or a little before?
Perhaps a sneak preview of the successor show at the end of the series finale for 2012. It was done at the end of the Batman:Brave and The Bold finale for Beware The Batman.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!
MikeandRaph87 is offline  
Old 03-05-2017, 03:54 PM   #312
Harukuro
Foot Soldier
 
Harukuro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I don't see Woody creeping on Angel. It was more like he was smitten with her form first sight and didn't know how to control what he was feeling...Also,was Angel clearly saying Woody was her boyfriend or she has given into the idea of a date with him?
I was mostly referring to the mistletoe scene where Woody went to kiss Angel despite the very clear verbal and non-verbal indications that she didn't want a kiss (see attached images). What's especially noticeable is that she's pushing him away from her and eventually dumps eggnog on her. Also, he probably should control how he's feeling, and how he's acting, because this stuff is straight up sexual harassment.

But, then in the next issue we have Raph asking Angel about Woody, noticeably after she talks with Raph about Alopex, and she says "Pizza guy? He's a'ight, I guess. Kind of a dweeb but kinda cute at the same time. Gives me lots of free pizza, though. I dig that."

I can safely say that most women would not go from "Get away from me you creep" to "Aw he's kindof cute" that quickly, especially when it involves a guy who can't take a hint about boundaries (though a lot of male writers don't seem to realize this). To say this was one of the more disappointing moments in the recent IDW comics for me would be an understatement; Angel deserves better than being paired up with a creep in such a lazy display of writing.

(Also, I apologize for going off topic, this subject is just something that really bothered me so I had to write it out)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Woody is a Creep.jpg (16.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Woody is a Creep_2.jpg (19.2 KB, 11 views)
__________________
"But before I go, I want you to know, Mikey, you have always been - and will always be - my hero. Farewell, my friend." - Slash (TMNT IDW #54)

Hoping that IDW Slash will finally be happy
Harukuro is offline  
Old 03-05-2017, 04:07 PM   #313
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,805
Remember, people, it's not over until the fat lady sings.
CyberCubed is offline  
Old 03-05-2017, 05:28 PM   #314
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 11,188
Perhaps he cooled it and took the idea that Angel knew he was attracted to her after that incident and he showed it afterwards. Casey explained Woody meant no harm and was sorry and she was flattered that Woody was that into her which she may not be used to. None of that could have happened between issues or all of it could have. That was the explanation I gave it when reading it.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!
MikeandRaph87 is offline  
Old 03-05-2017, 05:55 PM   #315
Coola Yagami
Overlord
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 15,684
Kinda weird paring. Most of the time kick ass fighter types how for other kick ass fighter types. I kinda don't see Woody fighting crime alongside her, ya know?

And I wouldn't compare comics with cartoons when it comes to using characters. Sure IDW has tons of characters but they have more time to use them, and extra one shot specials devoted to the extra characters, even when separate comic book series devoted to the other characters. In comics it's easier to give Hun and Karai their own one shot or bebop and Rocksteady their own mini series than devoting an episode to them on the tv show.
__________________
"I was down with TMNT once, but then they changed what TMNT was. Now what I was down with is no longer TMNT and what TMNT now is seems weird and scary. And it'll happen to YOU."

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline  
Old 03-05-2017, 06:34 PM   #316
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
And I wouldn't compare comics with cartoons when it comes to using characters. Sure IDW has tons of characters but they have more time to use them, and extra one shot specials devoted to the extra characters, even when separate comic book series devoted to the other characters. In comics it's easier to give Hun and Karai their own one shot or bebop and Rocksteady their own mini series than devoting an episode to them on the tv show.
If anything IDW sticks a little too closely to formula, almost all the big plotlines and characters in that series are old stories with a few new twists. The only real brand new stuff is the Pantheon and the addition of Old Hob.
CyberCubed is offline  
Old 03-05-2017, 07:29 PM   #317
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior
 
DevilSpooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Portugal
Posts: 884
Timothy is done, his story is done, he'll take years to unfreeze, and when he does Donnie will demutate him if he's still alive, that's it, nothing to have closure about, no way they'll jump X years into the future just to see Donnie cure him and say "sorry about that kid" anyone expecting anything more then that is seriously delusional.

About the new show, I have a bad feeling about this, I'm expecting a "monster of the week" type of thing with Sponge Bob-like comedy and Tean Titans Go style art, nothing more, no overall story arc, no character progression, nothing at all but random jokes and basic "plots".
__________________
Life at best is bittersweet
DevilSpooky is offline  
Old 03-05-2017, 07:34 PM   #318
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 11,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
If anything IDW sticks a little too closely to formula, almost all the big plotlines and characters in that series are old stories with a few new twists. The only real brand new stuff is the Pantheon and the addition of Old Hob.
IDW follows a formula? Sure some versions do, but not IDW. Very little has been predicted and the IDW has continued to not only keep interest but anticipation of what to come!
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!
MikeandRaph87 is offline  
Old 03-05-2017, 07:39 PM   #319
PApagreg
Mad Scientist
 
PApagreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Kinda weird paring. Most of the time kick ass fighter types how for other kick ass fighter types. I kinda don't see Woody fighting crime alongside her, ya know?

And I wouldn't compare comics with cartoons when it comes to using characters. Sure IDW has tons of characters but they have more time to use them, and extra one shot specials devoted to the extra characters, even when separate comic book series devoted to the other characters. In comics it's easier to give Hun and Karai their own one shot or bebop and Rocksteady their own mini series than devoting an episode to them on the tv show.
True but they could at least show us backstories to other characters, hell we learned a lot about Xever's history in Baxter's gambit and that lasted for like 2 minutes.

@GoldMutant I would also add that they turned Karai into a Damsel after season 2.
__________________
PApagreg is offline  
Old 03-05-2017, 07:56 PM   #320
turtlefan27
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 138
So i guess we'll be getting new action figures
turtlefan27 is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
2018, rise of the tmnt, speculation, we're crimefighters


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.