The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #321
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
No, I wouldn't call myself an expert, but as a turtle owner I do have to keep myself informed about turtle information, biology, diet and behavior. And I'm generally interested in turtles, as Chelonians are my favorite animals.

And yes, I do use google, cause it's the best way to find proper and actual information about Chelonians be it freshwater turtles, sea turtles or tortoises or even land dwelling turtles. It's what I use to reconfirmed information I know and recheck my facts. It's great to find out what I can and can not feed my pet turtles. So they don't get diarrhea or worst case scenario dies. Yes Sam, I use google, cause there is no better option to find the best information to take care of my pets. Cause, where else should I look? Thanks to google I've found redearedslider.com, thanks to google I know that the one book about turtle pet hold in the local bibrary is full of errors and misinformation that could potentially lead to the death of my own pets.

So, what the heck is wrong with google, Sam? That I can find more information within a few seconds, that apparently the people behind the movie ever bothers to look up? I guess so.

That said, splitting up a bipedal turtle's shell for "realistically able to be standing up" is silly on several notions. First off, there are several Chelonians that have articulated shells, and when separating the shell into two halves and then the add ribcage under them it just looks wrong, the turtles have a human-like ribcage under their own ribcage that have been slit in half... Wtf?

And by splitting up the shell by "realistically standing upright" is just gonna emphasize that a shell isn't made for bipedalism, not making it look "totally reals".

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterninja View Post
What is a Kappa anyway, is it a monster in the water I should Google it be right back.
A Kappa is a Japanese Yokai. They are water spirits that resembles a mix of monkeys and turtles, and are of the size of a child, hence of of their other names can be translated into River Child. They eat a person's essence from the radar end, and can be haggled from preying on people by offering them cucumbers as they enjoy them more then humans. They are also into martial arts, primarily Sumo, and will always bow back when being bowed too. They also have a dish like flat head, where they store water, if they lose that's after, they get weak and eventually die.

Last edited by Candy Kappa; 10-24-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:13 AM   #322
Commenter 42
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstermash042 View Post
Ain't nobody Star Struck here Dude, at this point you either didn't like the movie or you did. Move on with your life.
Not gonna happen.

Next time, find propper reference, and do your research. You actually used a squid for Leo's markings? Really? Why is that a point of pride?

You said it yourself, you made some monsters for a movie. You're proud of the ridiculous proton pack you strapped to Donny, and wanted to take it further and make it a lawnmower engine.

The internet didn't erupt in spontaneous revolt without cause. Clearly, you don't get who these characters are.

I don't care who you are, I'm critiquing the work as it stands. You may be a genuinely nice guy, and it appears so from your AMA, but maybe you need to try and look at it from the perspective of a fan. It's not about a raped childhood, nore is it about letting go of the past, or growing up, or any of that nonsense that fills threads endlessly. It's actually about how powerless fans feel when some one decides that the thing they really enjoy should be replaced with something they don't. The statement is "we don't care". A fan has little recourse; The fan gets no say in the matter, at all. The debate over minor details can rage forever, but it is impossibly frustrating to be ignored.

This is why it becomes personal so quickly. These are your idea of A turtle, how you imagined a green happyface with puffy cheeks and a mask would translate into reality. Sure, that's one way to go, and clearly, you got the job, so you win.
But I'd bet money that, if you are half as big a fan as you claim, if the design were in opposition to your design sensibilities, you'd cry foul too. You might even be a little pissed off.

I think of it like this- I love my GF. I love her face. Her laughter, her mind, everything. I love her exactly as she is.
If I woke up tomorrow and someone had come in and replaced her face, body, voice and to a degree, personality while I was asleep, I'd be very upset clearly.

But take it a step further. Now, someone is telling me to accept it, or just move on. Some jerk is forcing the changes I never asked for, and telling me, If I don't like it, I was never really in love.

Obviously, no one has said, in the numerous interviews or posts, that you are not talented. Everyone agrees you are. Everyone thinks you will go far. That isn't the issue.

But I think you know that.

But seriously, never tell a fan to move on. If we all move on, then you'll be out of a job.

Last edited by Commenter 42; 10-25-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:33 AM   #323
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Hmm...

Honestly the plastron itself on these particular guys isn't all that prominent other than coloration. They kinda went to a higher level of human-like this time around, maybe it could be considered more of a vestigial part at this point.

Would make sense for that to happen I suppose, in a hypothetical fictional way, if they gained a human-like skeletal structure. (Now what remains of it simply just adds some bullet proofing. )
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:59 AM   #324
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing
 
Candy Kappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vikingland
Posts: 14,596
I guess that's why they all have straps over their chest, to support the falloff shell. No longer being the spine and the ribcage, and just hangs attached to the skin gotta hurt, and possible easily rip off as the carapace is extremely huge (in the final product) for a freshwater turtle.

Maybe it's just dead tissue as well, hence why they wasn't bothered by being shot in the shell, they can't feel anything from it. Makes sense as why Raph have a painful case of shell deformity where his shoulder strap is, and he has never taken that strap off.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:10 AM   #325
METALHEAD
Stone Warrior
 
METALHEAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: san benito texas
Posts: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post
Not gonna happen.

Next time, find propper reference, and do your research. You actually used a squid for Leo's markings? Really? Why is that a point of pride?

You said it yourself, you made some monsters for a movie. You're proud of the ridiculous proton pack you strapped to Donny, and wanted to take it further and make it a lawnmower engine.

The internet didn't erupt in spontaneous revolt without cause. Clearly, you don't get who these characters are.

I don't care who you are, I'm critiquing the work as it stands. You may be a genuinely nice guy, and it appears so from your AMA, but maybe you need to try and look at it from the perspective of a fan. It's not about a raped childhood, nore is it about letting go of the past, or growing up, or any of that nonsense that fills threads endlessly. It's actually about how powerless fans feel when some one decides that the thing they really enjoy should be replaced with something they don't. The statement is "we don't care". A fan has little recourse; The fan gets no say in the matter, at all. The debate over minor details can rage forever, but it is impossibly frustrating to be ignored.

This is why it becomes personal so quickly. These are your idea of A turtle, how you imagined a green happyface with puffy cheeks and a mask would translate into reality. Sure, that's one way to go, and clearly, you got the job, so you win.
But I'd bet money that, if you are half as big a fan as you claim, if the design were in opposition to your design sensibilities, you'd cry foul too. You might even be a little pissed off.

I think of it like this- I love my GF. I love her face. Her laughter, her mind, everything. I love her exactly as she is.
If I woke up tomorrow and someone had come in and replaced her face, body, voice and to a degree, personality while I was asleep, I'd be very upset clearly.

But take it a step further. Now, someone is telling me to accept it, or just move on. Some jerk is forcing the changes I never asked for, and telling me, If I don't like it, I was never really in love.

Obviously, no one has said, in the numerous interviews or posts, that you are not talented. Everyone agrees you are. Everyone thinks you will go far. That isn't the issue.

But I think you know that.

But seriously, never tell a fan to move on. If we all move on, then you'll be out of a job.

yo...fans like you take things way too seriously. you should thank this man for his designs and his involment for your favoite franchise. this is the reason why normal people roll their eyes at fans like us. and i've seen, heard crazy crap from transformers fans. nothing but whining and bitching over small changes. i for one love the early designs and the finishing product. a nice fresh take on the turtles was needed.
seriously Monstermash042 pay no mind to this mook. just a butthurt baby like every other fan who has nothing better to do than bitch and gripe. i seriously find it wrong for him to rip a person who is simply a designer, doing his job. he has possibly NO idea how it works behind the scenes of making a movie. terrible tsk tsk. this is the reason why i can't get along with other fans because they are always so damn negitive. thank god i have a chick who isn't like these fanboys. but yes, some fans do need to move on...its just a ****ing movie based on a ****ing comic, based on a ****ing cartoon for ****s sakes!
__________________

i ship it.
METALHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:21 PM   #326
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I guess that's why they all have straps over their chest, to support the falloff shell. No longer being the spine and the ribcage, and just hangs attached to the skin gotta hurt, and possible easily rip off as the carapace is extremely huge (in the final product) for a freshwater turtle.

Maybe it's just dead tissue as well, hence why they wasn't bothered by being shot in the shell, they can't feel anything from it. Makes sense as why Raph have a painful case of shell deformity where his shoulder strap is, and he has never taken that strap off.
Ouchie. >.< Even if these movies never says diddly about human DNA, I'm just going to assume they're a hybrid (how can this group not be) and have a wonky hybrid skeletal structure to go with it. Those boys were pretty stiff in the back when they had the unfortunate event of finding it proper to bow to Megan Fox.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:16 PM   #327
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALHEAD View Post
this is the reason why normal people roll their eyes at fans like us.
Are you sure it's not pairing the TMNT with funky OC's that warrants those kinda reactions? Or the unfathomably bad grammar? Or the blind loyalist mentality? Or the hypocrisy of attacking & swearing at a person for having an opinion you dislike?
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:47 PM   #328
Commenter 42
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALHEAD View Post
https://31.media.tumblr.com/6227ad2b...wzbdo1_500.gif
yo...fans like you take things way too seriously. you should thank this man for his designs and his involment for your favoite franchise. this is the reason why normal people roll their eyes at fans like us. and i've seen, heard crazy crap from transformers fans. nothing but whining and bitching over small changes. i for one love the early designs and the finishing product. a nice fresh take on the turtles was needed.
seriously Monstermash042 pay no mind to this mook. just a butthurt baby like every other fan who has nothing better to do than bitch and gripe. i seriously find it wrong for him to rip a person who is simply a designer, doing his job. he has possibly NO idea how it works behind the scenes of making a movie. terrible tsk tsk. this is the reason why i can't get along with other fans because they are always so damn negitive. thank god i have a chick who isn't like these fanboys. but yes, some fans do need to move on...its just a ****ing movie based on a ****ing comic, based on a ****ing cartoon for ****s sakes!
You know what? I don't care if you liked it. People will whine about what they don't like all day, but the minute the guy who created the designs shows up, everyone smiles and nods, admonishing heaps of platitudes on the dude, because they don't have the cojones to tell them to their (virtual) face just how unhappy they were.
Jared's a grown man. He can either get pissed at me, or he can take the criticism. I'm not whining behind his back, I'm straight up with him.
You're right, he's a guy doing a job, just like all the other artists working on all the other films.
So now that he's here, we can't have honest feedback? Half of my post was " don't dismiss me like a child, cause it's rude" and the other half was "while you have talent, I think the designs were trashy and cluttered, not elegant."
Sorry you disagree, but it's not just a cartoon to me. Just like the Hulk, or the bat suit, there are crowd pleasing designs, and designs that fall short.

Last edited by Commenter 42; 10-31-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:02 PM   #329
Xiewin
Stone Warrior
 
Xiewin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 900
The only problem I have with the designs is Leo's wooden chest piece and Donnie's Tech and geek overload. Not to mention Mikey's extra sunglass hanging on his puka-shell necklace.
Xiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:16 PM   #330
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy
 
IndigoErth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: U.S., East Coast
Posts: 16,293
Aw, I like Leo's gear, including the chest piece. Granted I'm biased and forgiving enough where he's concerned that he could probably get away with a top hat and MLP printed suspenders if he so cared to.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:58 PM   #331
gunstarheroblue
Foot Soldier
 
gunstarheroblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: vancouver BC
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiewin View Post
The only problem I have with the designs is Leo's wooden chest piece and Donnie's Tech and geek overload. Not to mention Mikey's extra sunglass hanging on his puka-shell necklace.
all that gear dangling from them was seriously overkill for me too, Urban Hip Ninja look? so much for Stealth. Anything that Michael Bay is a part of just seems to be a jumbled mess. Bayformers is a clear example of where i think he's going to take the TMNT franchise
Megan Fox as April Oneil, excellent Choice for casting Mike. Ugh.

Im from the button mashing arcade old school days,(so Im sounding like the cliche elderly talk)
whatever, i guess its all for the new generation of young fans
__________________

Last edited by gunstarheroblue; 10-31-2014 at 05:06 PM.
gunstarheroblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:15 AM   #332
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Been away for a while. Hah. Nice to see nobody's tainted my beloved cesspool.

I nominate C42 for his own radio show. He's the hero TMNT fans need and deserve.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:35 AM   #333
Commenter 42
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Been away for a while. Hah. Nice to see nobody's tainted my beloved cesspool.

I nominate C42 for his own radio show. He's the hero TMNT fans need and deserve.
I'm glad someone appreciates my special brand of crazy.
It's been lonesome 'round these parts friend-o.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:48 AM   #334
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Snicker. Looks like mostly the same ol' sh*t. Few more people with red lines through their names, otherwise, same as ever.

Some of that concept art really was miles ahead of the final product, especially that one shot of "Fred Wolf-style" Shredder. I'm not sure if it's Better or Worse that at some point they were more on the right track, design-wise, then just decided to say "screw it" and go all Liefeld on everything. Ah well.

Given the exponential rate of returns, I'm anticipating a 63% increase in extraneous straps and buckles for the sequel. Shredder may end up with even more blades, as well, but I'm hard-pressed to figure where you'd put 'em. Guess that's what these cats get the Big Bucks to figure out, eh?
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:13 AM   #335
Commenter 42
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Snicker. Looks like mostly the same ol' sh*t. Few more people with red lines through their names, otherwise, same as ever.

Some of that concept art really was miles ahead of the final product, especially that one shot of "Fred Wolf-style" Shredder. I'm not sure if it's Better or Worse that at some point they were more on the right track, design-wise, then just decided to say "screw it" and go all Liefeld on everything. Ah well.
Hey, agree Shredder could have been much closer, and at one point was.
To be honest though, Shredder wasn't the worst of it for me. The actor's voice went a long way to bringing some authenticity to the role, however small.
Amazing how the last minute addition was the only redeeming part of a film that was in production for 4 years!
Tohoru Masamune

I also can't help but wonder if he would have been a better Hamato Yoshi

Last edited by Commenter 42; 11-01-2014 at 01:27 AM.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:20 AM   #336
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Well, simple math would figure that something had to go right. Was it in fact Hamato Yoshi who once said, "The Sun even shines on a dog's ass some days?"

No, wait, my bad... that was Wesley Snipes in "White Men Can't Jump". It's still true.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:25 AM   #337
Commenter 42
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Well, simple math would figure that something had to go right. Was it in fact Hamato Yoshi who once said, "The Sun even shines on a dog's ass some days?"

No, wait, my bad... that was Wesley Snipes in "White Men Can't Jump". It's still true.
Oh the snipes...he let his assistant rub my shoulders at a party once...dude is stacked, and dead serious. Wears his sunglasses at night. much shorter than you think in person. 5'5" maybe? His crew are straight outta the blade films...scary Mothers.
Snipes is good people.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:30 AM   #338
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
Although apparently the guy's just bad with figures.

I also vividly hear him say "You can put a cat in the oven, but that don't make it a biscuit" whenever someone tries to sell me on how "true" the new TMNT movie designs are to what we've always known, or how "The essence is there". Really? Eh, maybe if you squint. Or, y'know, stop caring.

Lots of us wear sunglasses at night and only about half of us are vampires. The rest of us are just douchebags.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:42 AM   #339
Commenter 42
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Although apparently the guy's just bad with figures.
Lots of us wear sunglasses at night and only about half of us are vampires. The rest of us are just douchebags.
Lol! To be that guy, who had to serve him, on behalf of the IRS?
No...just, no.

Nic Cage on the other hand? I'd do it hourly, just to watch the endless variety of crazy spew forth.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #340
Chabrendeki
Hench Mutant
 
Chabrendeki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 265
I just had a strange idea...

How big are the manhole covers in NYC? I fear (Movie-)Raph could easily get stuck, just like Tokka in SotO...
__________________
Chabrendeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
concept art, tmnt 2014 concept art


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.