The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2007, 07:00 PM   #21
Fledermaus
Mad Scientist
 
Fledermaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegojourdan View Post
Well, believe it or not he had little references from the movie itself...Imagi wouldn´t even provide us with WINTERS character design (we had Yaotl´s armor though), so we invented him out of the blue!
Ah... that explains why he looked so... not like Max Winters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegojourdan
As for the fight scenes being cut short, it isn´t completely the script´s fault... given they gave us the script in the very last minute, leaving us only 3 weeks or so to turn in 64 PAGES OF ART (!) , so we took the liberty of cutting down the number of panels on ea. page (not too dramatically of course).

Heeheehee... when does that NOT happen? (If you provide a counterexample, I will kill you... Or I'll just... never buy stuff from you again.) But it makes sense, considering the number of suddenly large panels that slow down or even halt what had otherwise good "flow." (pardon the syntax ) But damn. Considering the generous timespan you were given you guys did a really awesome job.

I wonder how long the others had to work on their 28 to 32-page prequels...
__________________
We're calling it a freeway. Eight lanes of shimmering cement running from here to Pasadena. Smooth, safe, fast. Traffic jams will be a thing of the past. I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night! Soon there will be a string of gas stations, inexpensive motels, restaurants that serve rapidly prepared food! Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see! My God... It'll be beautiful.

Last edited by Fledermaus; 04-13-2007 at 07:06 PM.
Fledermaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:41 AM   #22
NightwatchersOnlygirl
Stone Warrior
 
NightwatchersOnlygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In Nightwatcher's loving arms
Posts: 941
I love it Oh baby The Nightwatcher
*passes out *
__________________
Nightwatcher is taken by me,NightwatchersOnlyGirl
Nightwatcher Is my boyfriend.
I love "My" Nightwatcher
Nightwatcher can put his boots under my bed anytime
Nightwatcher loves me!
NW 4 EVER
NW is Mine
NW is so sexy
Forever Nightwatcher's....
NightwatchersOnlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:26 AM   #23
Tinuvielsdreams
Nothing without passion
 
Tinuvielsdreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegojourdan View Post
Well, believe it or not he had little references from the movie itself...Imagi wouldn´t even provide us with WINTERS character design (we had Yaotl´s armor though), so we invented him out of the blue!

As for the fight scenes being cut short, it isn´t completely the script´s fault... given they gave us the script in the very last minute, leaving us only 3 weeks or so to turn in 64 PAGES OF ART (!) , so we took the liberty of cutting down the number of panels on ea. page (not too dramatically of course).

Hi Diego

Wow having not known that info until now I am more impressed...I just got mine yesterday and the poor packaging it was in didn't survive the trip to my front door. For everything you had to fit in there I think it was done very nicely. Having read it after seeing the movie I definitely filled in the blanks (like fight scenes) and I enjoyed the extra turtle related dialogue the Karai had.
The style was interesting because it was so curvy and certain panels I could really feel the motion...I especially liked all the panels in the fight with the Yeti and the panel on page 48 where Raph has his knee on Leo's chest and his sai point in his face..."Perfect place to put his infamous line "I'm done taking orders..."
I also liked the way Winters aged at the end instead of turning to dust...

I don't know if this was on purpose but I feel like you were very careful on your dark to light ration on each page... maybe preventing any run together because you had to fit so much in.
Thanks for all the work I am pretty happy with this adaption
Tinuvielsdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:59 PM   #24
diegojourdan
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
diegojourdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SCL
Posts: 53
Thumbs up

Quote:
I love it Oh baby The Nightwatcher
*passes out *


Quote:
Hi Diego

Wow having not known that info until now I am more impressed...I just got mine yesterday and the poor packaging it was in didn't survive the trip to my front door. For everything you had to fit in there I think it was done very nicely. Having read it after seeing the movie I definitely filled in the blanks (like fight scenes) and I enjoyed the extra turtle related dialogue the Karai had.
The style was interesting because it was so curvy and certain panels I could really feel the motion...I especially liked all the panels in the fight with the Yeti and the panel on page 48 where Raph has his knee on Leo's chest and his sai point in his face..."Perfect place to put his infamous line "I'm done taking orders..."
I also liked the way Winters aged at the end instead of turning to dust...

I don't know if this was on purpose but I feel like you were very careful on your dark to light ration on each page... maybe preventing any run together because you had to fit so much in.
Thanks for all the work I am pretty happy with this adaption
Thank you so much for the nice comments!
diegojourdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:45 PM   #25
Risawn
Thug
 
Risawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Washington State
Posts: 79
I got my copy a couple of days ago (actually, on accident, I picked up two. . . eh, more revenue for you guys I guess

I'm somewhat new to the comic world, I really liked the art, I felt like I should scan it and color it in via photoshop or something. I was tempted to do just that In parts, the story line did feel disjointed and a bit rushed, transitions between some of the scenes could have been smoother, but with three weeks to do it, I can see why this was the case! For somebody who hasn't seen the movie, they might be a little confused with the pacing.

I maintain an on again off again webcomic so I know how much work the art goes into this, and I'm very emvious because of how clean it is. It adapts from the movie very well.

__________________

Boredom is a terrible thing to waste
Risawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:32 PM   #26
Kunoichi_Haruko
A shell of a good hit!
 
Kunoichi_Haruko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Richmond, Va.
Posts: 1,685
Hehe... I knew I was forgetting to do something

Most of what concerned me (pacing, Mikey's appearance, etc.) has already been touched on, so I won't bore you much with that. And, seeing as you only had three weeks to complete the thing, thoses concerns are not even important anymore.

I will say that I like the subtle (and sometimes, not-so-subtle ) differences between the comic and the movie, and overall, I enjoyed the artwork. Some pages in particular jump out at me:
Love page 22.
Interesting placement of Leo's katana on page 25
Like Mike's comments on page 26.
Page 46 is quite lovely.
Bottom panel of pg. 57 is adorable. Loving their expressions there.

Also, Karai looks awesome, but April...I dunno, her look deteriorates as the time goes on. Why's that? Was it the time constraints again?

Anyways, it's a nice edition to my growing collection of TMNT comics. Thanks, Diego!
__________________
Kunoichi_Haruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:35 PM   #27
diegojourdan
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
diegojourdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SCL
Posts: 53
Quote:
In parts, the story line did feel disjointed and a bit rushed, transitions between some of the scenes could have been smoother, but with three weeks to do it, I can see why this was the case! For somebody who hasn't seen the movie, they might be a little confused with the pacing.

I maintain an on again off again webcomic so I know how much work the art goes into this, and I'm very emvious because of how clean it is. It adapts from the movie very well.
You´re right about pacing and transitions Risawn. Thanks for the feedback -- terrific webcomic, by the way

PS: Between you and i, clean is easy thanks to the magic of digital inking

Quote:
April...I dunno, her look deteriorates as the time goes on. Why's that? Was it the time constraints again?
'Fraid so

Quote:
Anyways, it's a nice edition to my growing collection of TMNT comics. Thanks, Diego!
Thank YOU for buying the book
diegojourdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:37 PM   #28
Ninjinister
無問題
 
Ninjinister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moesko Island, WA
Posts: 14,348
Why the devil didn't I see this topic back when it was originally posted? I could've earned myself my first TMNT staff autograph. Ah well, that's the way the cookie crumbles.

I, for one, thought the movie adaption was glorious. Sintilating art, punchy writing, and some clever differences from the movie give this issue the honor of sitting amongst my copies of the first three movie adaptions. A worthy comic through and through.
__________________
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:02 PM   #29
diegojourdan
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
diegojourdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SCL
Posts: 53
Scientific freak, Roseangelo, and soccerstud652 pse. PM me as soon as you receive your prizes! Kunoichi_Haruko already got it, but since i sent everything via air-mail from CHILE, i don´t know how trust-worthy the local Post Service is

Quote:
Why the devil didn't I see this topic back when it was originally posted? I could've earned myself my first TMNT staff autograph. Ah well, that's the way the cookie crumbles.
The S: PM me your name and mailing address. I have one spare pencil sketch available for you
diegojourdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:53 PM   #30
AquaParade
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,450
I'd love to pick this up, as I'm super intruiged by the art on the cover, but I dont have any way of ordering it online conveniently. Does anyone know where I could find this in stores? Maybe borders? BTW, would anyone be willing to scan a page, I'm curious to see what it looks like inside!
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:59 PM   #31
Cascadia
Oregonian in heart & soul
 
Cascadia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,731
Borders would not have this comic book. either order from http://www.ninjaturtles.com or http://www.milehighcomics.com. There is no local comic book store near you? I can possibly check mine.
__________________

Formally known as Scientific freak
Cascadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:30 PM   #32
raphaelprime
Hench Mutant
 
raphaelprime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Caniac Nation, NC
Posts: 416
Finally got to pick mine up today Diego, i know a little slow to get it lmao, im fixing to read it in awhile, so i'll post my thoughts on it before i go to bed tonight.
__________________
"Welcome to the south, plan to lose in our house, GoCanes, Carolina is back, and we're all Caniacs, GoCanes, We want more, shutout score, let's go Ward, GoCanes"....the new and improved version of Clapton's classic Cocaine


Courtesy of Sliced...Thanks Sliced.
raphaelprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 04:12 PM   #33
Ultimate Shredder
Foot Soldier
 
Ultimate Shredder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 101
Sorry that I didn't respound when I got it. It was a good comic. I loved the Nightwatcher. there were a couple things that buged me like the turtles feet. They felt a little awkward to me. Plus the Raphv.s Leo fight was too short foe me. It is my favorite adaption next to Movie one!
__________________
"I am the Shredder!"

Fear Me!
Ultimate Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 04:24 PM   #34
rayfillet101
Mad Scientist
 
rayfillet101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,454
great comic. It had a lot of length to it, i felt it to be a bit better than the movie. I wish you had more reference to the production of the movie, the short order cook threw me off. great job nonetheless it was one of the better adaptations of turtle movies ive read.
__________________

"When you scream my name, pleading for the pain to stop, you may call me...Bishop."
rayfillet101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:08 PM   #35
cowabunga14
Lover of Weird Things
 
cowabunga14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: CA
Posts: 4,014
I read the adaptation earlier today and I enjoyed it very much. I felt the art was great for the most part, but sometimes the Turtle's faces looked awkward. Other than that, great stuff! I thought Leo vs. Nightwatcher fight could've been a tad bit longer, maybe include the part where Raph breaks Leo's katanas, but hey, at least that's in the movie. Overall, you did a nice job. If there's sequel, Diego, I hope you return for the art along with Cristian Gonzalez and Juan Saavedra. IMHO, this adaption was just as good the first movie adaptation.
__________________


How can something so beautiful shine on something so dreadful?
cowabunga14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:31 PM   #36
raphaelprime
Hench Mutant
 
raphaelprime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Caniac Nation, NC
Posts: 416
Ok, so it took me a bit to getting around and reading it haha. Thought the adaptation was really good, awsome work Diego. I wont say which was better, the comic adaptation or the movie itself, cause its too hard to decide, but their equal atleast. Thought some of the lines/text/whichever ya wanna call it haha, was better than in the movie, and thought a few were better in the movie(mainly just the casey's hair gel reply). Also liked how Karai showed a bit more that she had heard about the turtles other than the 'you' and her speach at the end.

Again, thought it was great, and loved the artwork. I think its the best one out of all 6 of the movie comics.
__________________
"Welcome to the south, plan to lose in our house, GoCanes, Carolina is back, and we're all Caniacs, GoCanes, We want more, shutout score, let's go Ward, GoCanes"....the new and improved version of Clapton's classic Cocaine


Courtesy of Sliced...Thanks Sliced.
raphaelprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:52 PM   #37
diegojourdan
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
diegojourdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SCL
Posts: 53
Quote:
Thought the adaptation was really good, awsome work Diego. I wont say which was better, the comic adaptation or the movie itself
You make me blush ...people's gonna think i bribed ya !
diegojourdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:53 PM   #38
wyze2099
Hench Mutant
 
wyze2099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 323
Heh, I bought the adaptation when it first came out, and I just now found this thread. If I'd known sooner, I coulda scored some staff swag, but them's the breaks.

This is definitely one of the better movie-to-comic adaptations I've seen. It attempts to tell the story in its own way, and while a lot of dialogue was lifted directly from the screenplay (or maybe a previous draft rather than the final one), a lot of it makes sense in the comic itself without requiring the movie for backup knowledge.

However, there's quite a bit that requires having seen the movie in order to understand what's going on. As others have said, the pacing suffers during the action sequences because they're only briefly touched upon. And the final sequence as Winters Tower is incredibly hard to follow. There's one panel in which the Thirteenth Monster is freed from Cowabunga Carl's van, but it's hard to discern that from the art itself; the monster is perched on it haunches in the foreground, and the background is a collection of lines in the vague shape of a van's rear with part of Casey's body seen where the driver's-side window should be. Casey's "who ordered the pepperoni pizza with the side of "big ugly monster?" quip helped, but I'm betting the reaction of a reader who hadn't seen the movie would be, "...bzuh?"

The hurried deadline of the artwork has the pleasant side-effect of the figures seeming very kinetic; I definitely enjoy it when drawings of characters on a page seem to move by themselves. Still, there are spots where it's too apparent that the artists had very little time to work on the pages; and it's sometimes difficult to tell where the characters end and the background begins. The artwork seems as if it would benefit immensely from the color treatment of the UK collection, and I'd liked to have seen more of the computer shading that was going on in some panels. But given the limited time constraints, the comic still looks better than most comics have a right to. It's right up there with the adaptation of the third TMNT movie (which I liked better than the movie itself).

I give it a 4 out of 5.
__________________
TMNT: Mutant Town
A Ninja Turtles Discord RPG and community.
Currently ongoing: A Friday-night RPG on voice chat!


Editor-in-Chief of
Marvel Crossroads fanfiction group
wyze2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:32 PM   #39
SavantiRomero
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 277
Most of what I would have said has already been touched on by other posters. I liked your art work, more so than some of the long time TMNT artists, but you know I'll take what I can get

Story line matched pretty on par, visuals were excellant and also on par with the movie visuals. Just slight tidbits of difference.

The only two things that really bugged me about the comic was that the story showed the disc that the generals shot raph with but never the darts. The darts were referenced but never drawn. And Leo was drawn being hit with a disc/shiruken, instead of the dart. I played that off to the fact that you all weren't given all the info, may have misinterpreted some info and the fact you were rushed. The second item was the tubes that the creatureswere put in, were completely different from the ones in the actual movie and were filled with liquid ;p But I played that off too, those were just my biggest gripes.

I'm hoping they pick you back up for another adaptation when they make the sequel.

As such I would only say that movie would have done much better if it had followed more of the story from the prequel's and the comic adaptation, with the violence, blood and more lifelike happenings.
SavantiRomero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:22 PM   #40
Buslady
WingsOfDarkness! Perkele!
 
Buslady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In 7803...
Posts: 4,366
DIEGO!!!

I'm glad YOU did the book..it looks nice

*blinks* prizes? what prizes? nuts...

ya gotta excuse Miss "Raphaelsgirl"...she's WORSE than I am...and I thought I was like the biggest Raph fanatic.
__________________
Buslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.