The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: What should it be called?
The original series (OS) 8 22.22%
The Fred Wolf cartoon 9 25.00%
The 80's TMNT show 8 22.22%
Other 11 30.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #21
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I'll just leave this here...
Now that, I like.

The more I hang around the internet, the more I feel like everybody is just turning into Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons... with no self-awareness.
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #22
SherlockJr
Foot Soldier
 
SherlockJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The nearest Starbucks
Posts: 216
I call it the OT for "Original Toon"; when I'm talking about it with a non-Turtle fan, I just call it the 80s cartoon.
__________________
"SQUIRREL!!!"

SherlockJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #23
sdp
Detoxed Member
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 11,188
Well the 2k3 show was often called the NT here for "new" toon and sometimes 2k3, only towards the end of the run the NT was was mostly called 2k3 instead of NT. OT "old/original toon" always sounded bad to me. I'd much prefer naming it by date, TMNT 87/88 short and simple. That is also the time when the year the show starts to take place in. To me the debate should be whether we call it TMNT 87 or 88, technically it started in 87 but it was during mid December 1987, and Turtles Forever calls them TMNT 88 and that's really the year most people even knew what the turtles were, however wikipedia and most fans refer to the show as the 87 cartoon. I've noticed more people calling it the FW cartoon but I think 88 fits better.

Last edited by sdp; 04-05-2012 at 10:05 AM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #24
Xav
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,040
Shouldn't we call it by the year it came out, and not the year someone knew who the turtles were?
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #25
Oculus Orbus
Mad Scientist
 
Oculus Orbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Spain
Posts: 1,535
I've always used OT, as in "Original Toon". I don't like it being referred to as Original Series.
Oculus Orbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #26
rufus
Stone Warrior
 
rufus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lawrenceville,Georgia
Posts: 780
I just usually call it Fred Wolf turtles or the 80's cartoon turtles.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/edgartooms
^TMNT Stopmotions.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #27
sdp
Detoxed Member
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tokio, Italy
Posts: 11,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Shouldn't we call it by the year it came out, and not the year someone knew who the turtles were?
Well was the OT originally supposed to come out in 88? Why are they called TMNT 88 in Turtles Forever. I'm all for them being 87 but if they're officially considered 88..
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #28
Killer Moth
Hench Mutant
 
Killer Moth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandraph87 View Post
I always called it the '87 series/cartoon. When I think of it to myself I think Definitive Version. '87 series/cartoon work for those who may disagree and '03 series/cartoon works for the second cartoon. That works when identifying specific versions.
Yes, I usually defer to it as the 87 series, as my shorthand. I suppose I could call it "TOS," but I usually use that for Star Trek, as someone else cited. Although, I have noticed the "Fred Wolf toon" term is getting more and more traction, these days.

Or, perhaps, try "1st animated Turtles series," though, that can be annoying and lengthy to type over and over, especially if you're in a rush. Maybe "1st toon" as a compromise? Although, whomever said "Series 1," I do like, as well.

Edit: Maybe so, oldmanwinters, as the lack of self-awareness or the high amount of hyper-sensitivity will never be lost on the internet-tubes (thanks to the new generation of Comic Guy Fans). Or, that comes with age, as I take myself far less seriously online than I was, even a few years ago. Takes time.

Last edited by Killer Moth; 04-05-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Killer Moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #29
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 11,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Now that, I like.

The more I hang around the internet, the more I feel like everybody is just turning into Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons... with no self-awareness.
Now,that I had a chance to watch the clip I have to agree with him and agree on pretty much everything he said. The other media does wonders for comics and that is pretty much what I like in TMNT aside from a few characters like Venus.

KM,I don't think of it as FW because it was MFS during its production. With that in mind it makes it simplier to go with the year it started and say it as that cartoon/series. My few TMNT friends and I say it that way in conversation. I will probably say the '12 cartoon/series as I already started in offline conversations about it.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 04-05-2012 at 05:08 PM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #30
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold
 
TheCanadiandrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Posts: 19,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I thought that was kind of the purpose of this thread, though. "What should the Fred Wolf cartoon be called, en masse?" That was the implication I got from the original poster... and that kinda transcends the Drome.
i dunno if people outide the Drome wouldn't get that OT stands for Original Toon and not Original Turtles, specially if they only know the old show. They would probably get OT over Fred Wolf Cartoon or any of the other suggestions cept maybe 80's TMNT Show

now for people who know zip about TMNT that's another matter, they'd likely not care
__________________


Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #31
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,784
I'd like to add "ya mama" to the list.

Really dumb, unnecessary question, IMO.
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #32
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic
 
BubblyShell22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 16,912
Call it whatever the hell you want. How's that?

But I refer to it as the 80's series.
__________________
"A warrior who never fails, never learns."-The Ancient One.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #33
shezcrafti
Hench Mutant
 
shezcrafti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The East warehouse over at Lairdman island.
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT_Canadian View Post
i dunno if people outide the Drome wouldn't get that OT stands for Original Toon and not Original Turtles, specially if they only know the old show. They would probably get OT over Fred Wolf Cartoon or any of the other suggestions cept maybe 80's TMNT Show

now for people who know zip about TMNT that's another matter, they'd likely not care
Speaking as someone who's a relative newcomer around these parts, it took me a few days to understand that "OT" meant "original toon." Hope this is helpful feedback.

I agree with those saying the shows should be referenced by year. It's how we differentiate films with the same name/title (e.g. Fright Night 1985 vs. Fright Night 2011); why not do the same for TV shows?
__________________
Shellebrating 25+ Years of TMNT History [Infographic]



All of Raphael's Badassery in One Video
Spoiler:
shezcrafti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #34
Nintendophile
Foot Soldier
 
Nintendophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 198
I'd have to agree with the people suggesting to refer to the shows by year. '80s Series for the "Original Animated Series", 2K3 Series for the "Second Animated Series", and 2012 Series for the "Current Series" or "Nick Series". It just seems to be the most descriptive, and makes the most sense.
Nintendophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #35
Xav
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Well was the OT originally supposed to come out in 88? Why are they called TMNT 88 in Turtles Forever. I'm all for them being 87 but if they're officially considered 88..
I think it's because the 5-part mini-series came out in 87, but the show didn't start it's official run until 88.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #36
gobo
Wacky Action
 
gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: on Earth
Posts: 12,784
The pilot miniseries was December 28, 1987 through January 01, 1988. So, three days after Christmas this year is the 25th anniversary of the OT.
__________________
Live and let live... or go to hell.

gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #37
Xav
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,040
Actually it was December 14, 1987 through December 18, 1987.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #38
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
Call it whatever the hell you want. How's that?
Seriously? OK, great, how about "Gigantic pile of steaming..." oh, right. I'd better just bite my tongue.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #39
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 15,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Seriously? OK, great, how about "Gigantic pile of steaming..." oh, right. I'd better just bite my tongue.
Once upon a time, Andrew. Once upon a time...
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #40
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Actually it was December 14, 1987 through December 18, 1987.
Says who??
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.