The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2015, 06:46 PM   #21
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by funatic View Post
These are some of my favorite turtle stories! This mini sounds more in line with some of Mirage's more downbeat arcs. Definitely looking forward to it, and CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is right, Casey & April's relationship has really been lost in the action lately. They almost just seem paired together due to the history of the characters in previous iterations, I'd like to see some substance.

I'm predicting this will be the first of four 'team micros'... I expect Angel & Alopex are just around the corner.
Casey & April
Alopex & Angel

...

Who do you think will also get team-up issues? If villains get a chance to shine again, I'd love some Old Hob team-ups or Koya and Bludgeon.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:39 PM   #22
spookycookies
Stone Warrior
 
spookycookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NEPA
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Casey & April
Alopex & Angel

...

Who do you think will also get team-up issues? If villains get a chance to shine again, I'd love some Old Hob team-ups or Koya and Bludgeon.
See Alopex & Angel sounds more exciting. Koya and Bludgeon desperately need some more background, especially Bludgeon.

I think my main problem right now with this book is how it was introduced to me. From what the creative team said to CBR it really seemed like they want to do their take on a love story and staple it to Casey & April. I know there is room for slow personal stories in TMNT but from what I've read at CBR it doesn't seem like this is worth spending 4 issues and 4 months on.

Thanks guys for reassuring me, I don't think a mini series featuring only April and Casey will be bad because they are both great characters, its just that the apparent focus is going to be their relationship and not on their skills and how they impact the story. Maybe it's just a bad taste in my mouth from Nick's attempts at dealing with courtship but I'm just not invested in the melodrama.

Maybe I'm wrong, I really hope this is just a nice little story that compliments the larger environment of IDW's TMNT. My concern is that if it's as boring as I think it could be, then I'm going to feel like our time was wasted telling the story when something more exciting could have taken the spotlight.
spookycookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:42 PM   #23
ToTheNines
Col. Stinkmeaner
 
ToTheNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,226
Great creative team, I'm excited. And I'm glad that it looks like they're gonna hit the ground running towards the Pantheon post #50.

Also happy that April is getting some spotlight, hopefully she gets a decent arc soon. As for Casey, I wonder if this takes place before or after Vengeance... the solicits seem to hint that he might kill his father, so he could be in a very interesting place during this Mini.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:06 PM   #24
Powder
40 Years of TMNT
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell-Ri-La
Posts: 26,945
Wish you would have spoilered that last part, as many of us avoid solicits.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:09 PM   #25
ChosenOne
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Wish you would have spoilered that last part, as many of us avoid solicits.
Not to worry, it's just speculation. Said solicits also depict Hun as alive and kicking at least two issues after the one where the above could've taken place.

Here's hoping two spoilers make a right, eh?
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:15 PM   #26
funatic
Mad Scientist
 
funatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Northampton, MA
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Who do you think will also get team-up issues? If villains get a chance to shine again, I'd love some Old Hob team-ups or Koya and Bludgeon.
Koya and Bludgeon would be great - those characters are pretty undeveloped. As Koya was Sophie Campbell's creation, I'd love to see her write/draw that one!

Mondo and Herman could be interesting too - I'd like to know more about their backgrounds, i.e. what influenced them to become a skater and a soldier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookycookies View Post
I know there is room for slow personal stories in TMNT but from what I've read at CBR it doesn't seem like this is worth spending 4 issues and 4 months on.
Ah, on my first read-thru of the article I missed that this is a MINI series, not a micro, hence my prediction of following 1-shots. I still think a slower, character-driven story paced out over 4 issues will be great too. I liked the main series' Northampton arc which was paced similarly, and it even had some good action at the end too, so I wouldn't be surprised if the going-ons with 'the pantheon' inspire some action in this mini-series as well. Plus, we'll still have the ongoing running concurrently. IDW is pretty good at balancing their story threads and pacing between the ongoing and multiple mini-series.
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:17 PM   #27
snake
Disgusting
 
snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outer Heaven
Posts: 12,231
Awesome. This should be fun.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:54 PM   #28
ctt4lfecw
Stone Warrior
 
ctt4lfecw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Neutrino
Posts: 817
Can't wait to read. I could go for some mushy stuff.
ctt4lfecw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:39 PM   #29
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician
 
Redeemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: third earth
Posts: 4,737
honestly did not see this coming, totally left field.
This honestly does not really appeal to me, but I will definitely be picking this up.
__________________
GT:Reedeamer
THE TECHNODROME REDESIGN 2015
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51594
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:29 PM   #30
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 43,813
April looks really cute on that cover.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:44 PM   #31
PangolinFeets
Mad Scientist
 
PangolinFeets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctt4lfecw View Post
Can't wait to read. I could go for some mushy stuff.
I love the mushy stuff, but we're def gonna get some exciting things happening too. And probably some new faces?
PangolinFeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:22 AM   #32
Mayhem
Foot Elite
 
Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London, England
Posts: 4,069
Interesting new take on the mini-series, and yes I agree, Alopex and Angel could be in the wings too

And also agreed, April does look really cute on that cover.
__________________
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:24 PM   #33
DrSpengler
Foot Elite
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,842
I see a lot of potential in this miniseries. The Pantheon are intriguing and it'll be a nice focus for the plot that'll tie into the overarching storyline of the TMNT series.

More importantly, though, I think April and Casey NEED their own miniseries. They've been pretty severely sidelined in the ongoing over the past year and their arcs haven't amounted to anything. Basically, the current plot is "too big" for them, it seems, and they haven't been invited to the party whatsoever.

I don't really care for that, personally; that an adventure is "too big" for April and Casey and so they have to stay at home, out of the loop, where they'll be safe. But that's the way it's been.

Even worse is how Casey has been treated. He hasn't won a fight since 2012 (the first Annual). He's pretty much spent the past 3 years getting pummeled by everyone, with the recent Ghostbusters crossover being the last indignity. Pressing a button is the most "badass" thing he's done in years. Sheesh.

So I'm looking forward to a mini where April and Casey can be in the spotlight again instead of suppressed from the narrative for being unworthy tagalongs. And maybe it can rebuild some of Casey's dignity while it's at it.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #34
ChosenOne
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,951
First issue solicitation:

Quote:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Casey & April #1 (of 4)—SPOTLIGHT
Mariko Tamaki (w) • Irene Koh (a & c)
Introducing a very unique TMNT tale starring Casey Jones and April O'Neil, by acclaimed indie writer Mariko Tamaki (Skim, This One Summer)! The couple take a road trip to the southwest to dig up more clues about the mysterious Pantheon that has seemingly been pulling the strings on the Turtles' lives from the beginning. Casey and April will find even deeper mystery, unexpected danger, and start a new chapter in their relationship.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Cover:

Spoiler:
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:09 PM   #35
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior
 
Mutant Ninja Anole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 591
Holy cow, Tamaki is a BIG name in Indy graphic novel circles as of late. Both Skim and This One Summer have been taking in the awards. My interest in this one is definitely piqued.
__________________
My stupid Tumblr
Mutant Ninja Anole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:40 PM   #36
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor
 
ProphetofGanja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dub Side of the Moon
Posts: 3,491
you're a fool if you think this will be a boring story. I can't wait to hear more about the Pantheon and get some April/Casey screentime. I like their dynamic and I trust IDW will balance the story with seeing what the Turtles are up to meanwhile.

these mini-series always surprise me and they're always awesome!
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:30 PM   #37
spookycookies
Stone Warrior
 
spookycookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NEPA
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
you're a fool if you think this will be a boring story. I can't wait to hear more about the Pantheon and get some April/Casey screentime. I like their dynamic and I trust IDW will balance the story with seeing what the Turtles are up to meanwhile.

these mini-series always surprise me and they're always awesome!
Excuse me for being skeptical, I know nothing about this creative team.
spookycookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:15 AM   #38
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor
 
ProphetofGanja's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dub Side of the Moon
Posts: 3,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by spookycookies View Post
Excuse me for being skeptical, I know nothing about this creative team.
Me neither, I never heard of em before today, but I trust Bobby and the rest of the team
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:37 AM   #39
PangolinFeets
Mad Scientist
 
PangolinFeets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Me neither, I never heard of em before today, but I trust Bobby and the rest of the team
I didn't read Skim, but This One Summer was a highly praised indie title last year. And it seems just SO fitting for Tamaki to do Casey/April.
I don't know much of the artist except that she's an FFIX fan and that seals the deal for me. Lol

I preordered this yesterday when I picked up 44. Super excited!!!!
PangolinFeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:16 PM   #40
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast
 
Sophie Campbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 498
Skim and This One Summer are both amazing!! Mariko's prose book (You) Set Me On Fire is also awesome. Irene Koh has done some Batgirl stuff and also a pitch for a comic with our own Paul Allor called XOXO.

many years ago i almost did a book with Mariko for DC/Vertigo but it fell apart. she's really great, i wish i could have worked with her on April & Casey but now i get to read it as a fan. looks like i might be doing a cover, at least...
Sophie Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mini-series


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.