The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2016, 12:33 PM   #5201
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
As a long-time Marvel reader, I'm calling b.s on that.

The movies are the comics put through a kindergarden filter and their characters are left all the poorer for it. Especially their villains.
And BayTurtles 2 is...?

I've been reading Marvel pretty much since I could read, and I certainly dont feel the same way. They're movies, not comics, so its hard to directly compare against long-term storytelling spanning decades... but their versions of these heroes and their world is very satisfying to me and rings really true to what's always made them work.

I know this is a TMNT forum, but going super easy on BayTurtles 2 while outright slagging on Marvel Studios feels like a heckuvva double standard.
__________________
Bry is offline  
Old 05-31-2016, 12:46 PM   #5202
THGhost
Puppet Master
 
THGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 2,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by guppy8466 View Post
Anyone have a clip of krangs new voice? Or can someone that's seen say if it's any good?
It's a little deeper than I was expecting. It was decent, had little moments of humour. I can't see it becoming an iconic voice or anything though.
__________________
-
-
-

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline  
Old 05-31-2016, 12:50 PM   #5203
bushido
Stone Warrior
 
bushido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: France
Posts: 708
__________________
bushido is offline  
Old 05-31-2016, 12:55 PM   #5204
guppy8466
Random Punk
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
It's a little deeper than I was expecting. It was decent, had little moments of humour. I can't see it becoming an iconic voice or anything though.
I'm looking forward to seeing, his voice is the biggest thing I'm looking forward to, n how he moves around. Garret never disappoints. Thnx for the feed back
guppy8466 is offline  
Old 05-31-2016, 01:02 PM   #5205
graphic_content
Mad Scientist
 
graphic_content's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
And BayTurtles 2 is...?

I've been reading Marvel pretty much since I could read, and I certainly dont feel the same way. They're movies, not comics, so its hard to directly compare against long-term storytelling spanning decades... but their versions of these heroes and their world is very satisfying to me and rings really true to what's always made them work.

I know this is a TMNT forum, but going super easy on BayTurtles 2 while outright slagging on Marvel Studios feels like a heckuvva double standard.
i think the standard has to be different - and mind you, im not giving a pass to TMNT, but consider this...

I read the following on GeekDen and it made a lot of sense to me:

Quote:
There are a good few of us who really love those original Mirage comic books, but a larger group of Turtles fans want an adaptation of the vastly different cartoon series from the 1980s. They want characters like Krang and Bebop and Rocksteady. As illogical as it might sound, you have to make a faithful adaptation of an unfaithful adaptation. And that’s exactly what director David Green and his Turtles team have done for this new movie sequel.
When pop culture references TMNT, its very rare that they are actually referring to early Mirage - what most people know to be TMNT is FW produced cartoon. It is the most widely known, and arguably the most popular version of the Turtles, even 30 years later.

So making a faithful version of the FW Cartoon really means, not making a comic-faithful adaptation, as the cartoon itself only borrowed elements from early Mirage.
__________________
graphic_content is offline  
Old 05-31-2016, 01:05 PM   #5206
THGhost
Puppet Master
 
THGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 2,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by guppy8466 View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing, his voice is the biggest thing I'm looking forward to, n how he moves around. Garret never disappoints. Thnx for the feed back
In my opinion he looks and moves around great. Exactly what I expected from a "live-action" Krang.
__________________
-
-
-

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline  
Old 05-31-2016, 01:09 PM   #5207
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 16,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphic_content View Post
When pop culture references TMNT, its very rare that they are actually referring to early Mirage - what most people know to be TMNT is FW produced cartoon. It is the most widely known, and arguably the most popular version of the Turtles, even 30 years later.

So making a faithful version of the FW Cartoon really means, not making a comic-faithful adaptation, as the cartoon itself only borrowed elements from early Mirage.
I agree with DenofGeek's point.

But this and the 2014 predecessor aren't even faithful/good Fred Wolf adaptations. They're just terrible movies.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline  
Old 05-31-2016, 01:29 PM   #5208
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior
 
Konchadunga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
As a long-time Marvel reader, I'm calling b.s on that.

The movies are the comics put through a kindergarden filter and their characters are left all the poorer for it. Especially their villains.
I'll be honest, I'm actually glad they ignored a lot of the source material for Civil War. Sure; the MCU also has its big fouls--White Mandarin was a big one--but the problem with dinging a graphic novel movie for being unfaithful is those serials are arguably being unfaithful even to themselves; all it takes is one bad writer taking over a once-good character, and things can be screwed for years. Plenty people familiar with earlier writers of Iron Man called bull when he was suddenly willing to fund terrorists to push through a law he believed in. Movie Iron Man didn't have his ethics ruined that way. Nor did the Civil War movie end with Spider-Man dealing with a devil.

I no longer buy superhero serials, because I feel when they last too long, they end up taking on some drivel they don't need. I would rather watch a movie that succeeds in distilling a property down to its ideal and re-adapting the parts of its original run that were a hit, for the sake of telling self-contained stories.
__________________

Last edited by Konchadunga; 06-02-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Konchadunga is offline  
Old 05-31-2016, 01:32 PM   #5209
THGhost
Puppet Master
 
THGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 2,825
I'm not gonna be one of those people who berates others for not liking something. If you don't like it, fine. Hate it to your heart's content I say. Don't be a dick to those who did and everything will be okay.
__________________
-
-
-

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline  
Old 05-31-2016, 01:41 PM   #5210
ZariusTwo
Overlord
 
ZariusTwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Britain, DINO THUNDER...POWER UP!
Posts: 22,407
Marvel Zombies are all the like. I don't sweat 'em
ZariusTwo is offline  
Old 05-31-2016, 01:43 PM   #5211
Mew
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: In an apartment
Posts: 3,159
How many TV spots is this film gonna have? It's out in 3 days!
Mew is offline  
Old 05-31-2016, 01:46 PM   #5212
Vicky82
Emperor
 
Vicky82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dunstable, UK
Posts: 5,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mew View Post
How many TV spots is this film gonna have? It's out in 3 days!
Don't watch them then.
__________________
My heart!!!! One of my favourite moments.

Vicky82 is offline  
Old 05-31-2016, 01:55 PM   #5213
letscook89
Foot Soldier
 
letscook89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: France
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
Don't watch them then.
I have a question for you. Do the turtles have the same size as their promotion statues or are they smaller in the movie ? Because these statues are freakin' huge next to humans.
letscook89 is offline  
Old 05-31-2016, 01:58 PM   #5214
Vicky82
Emperor
 
Vicky82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dunstable, UK
Posts: 5,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook89 View Post
I have a question for you. Do the turtles have the same size as their promotion statues or are they smaller in the movie ? Because these statues are freakin' huge next to humans.
I don't know, i've only seen the statues in pictures and I didn't take any notice of the turtles sizes in the movie.
__________________
My heart!!!! One of my favourite moments.

Vicky82 is offline  
Old 05-31-2016, 02:07 PM   #5215
THGhost
Puppet Master
 
THGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 2,825
Yep, I stay away from TV spots too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mew View Post
How many TV spots is this film gonna have? It's out in 3 days!
Technically it's already out. There are other countries besides the USA y'know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook89 View Post
I have a question for you. Do the turtles have the same size as their promotion statues or are they smaller in the movie ? Because these statues are freakin' huge next to humans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
I don't know, i've only seen the statues in pictures and I didn't take any notice of the turtles sizes in the movie.
They're not that big, particularly Mikey.
__________________
-
-
-

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42

Last edited by THGhost; 06-01-2016 at 07:53 PM.
THGhost is offline  
Old 05-31-2016, 02:18 PM   #5216
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Marvel Zombies are all the like. I don't sweat 'em
Marvel isn't perfect, it's not like I give them a pass on everything, but overall they make good movies with great characters and solid stories. Ones that please the majority of fans and critics.

Platinum Dunes doesn't do any of that.



Quote:
Originally Posted by graphic_content View Post
When pop culture references TMNT, its very rare that they are actually referring to early Mirage - what most people know to be TMNT is FW produced cartoon. It is the most widely known, and arguably the most popular version of the Turtles, even 30 years later.

So making a faithful version of the FW Cartoon really means, not making a comic-faithful adaptation, as the cartoon itself only borrowed elements from early Mirage.
Yeah, I get all that. And I'm not honestly expecting a pure Mirage adaptation, or something that snubs the Fred Wolf version entirely. I just want a good movie. It shouldn't be too much to ask for. I think the smartest call would be going for a hybrid, like every other recent adaptation is doing to much better effect, pulling from the best of everything instead of just cramming some Fred Wolf nostalgia into a half-baked mindless action flick and calling it a day.

I dunno. I just find it a bit disconcerting when fans are basically saying "it's a bad movie but the fan-service was decent so I give it a pass". To each their own, absolutely, but to me it's a bit depressing to see standards lowered to meet minimal effort. We could have it so much better.
__________________
Bry is offline  
Old 05-31-2016, 02:19 PM   #5217
THGhost
Puppet Master
 
THGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 2,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Marvel isn't perfect, it's not like I give them a pass on everything, but overall they make good movies with great characters and solid stories. Ones that please the majority of fans and critics.

Platinum Dunes doesn't do any of that.

Vv



Yeah, I get all that. And I'm not honestly expecting a pure Mirage adaptation, or something that snubs the Fred Wolf version entirely. I just want a good movie. It shouldn't be too much to ask for. I think the smartest call would be going for a hybrid, like every other recent adaptation is doing to much better effect, pulling from the best of everything instead of just cramming some Fred Wolf nostalgia into a half-baked mindless action flick and calling it a day.

I dunno. I just find it a bit disconcerting when fans are basically saying "it's a bad movie but the fan-service was decent so I give it a pass". To each their own, absolutely, but to me its depressing to see standards lowered to meet minimal effort. We could have it so much better.
I would say Out of the Shadows is a good movie, but that's just me.
__________________
-
-
-

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline  
Old 05-31-2016, 02:21 PM   #5218
Hero
British Bloke
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 2,298
Has anyone seen these cardboard stands in their cinema?
That's my daughter sitting with the Turtles. https://www.instagram.com/p/BGCdtyzIv_Y/

The cardboard Turtles standing here are around 6ft (same as me). I'm guessing the same scale as the movie.
Hero is offline  
Old 05-31-2016, 02:23 PM   #5219
THGhost
Puppet Master
 
THGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 2,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post
Has anyone seen these cardboard stands in their cinema?
That's my daughter sitting with the Turtles. https://www.instagram.com/p/BGCdtyzIv_Y/

The cardboard Turtles standing here are around 6ft (same as me). I'm guessing the same scale as the movie.
Didn't see them at my cinema. I love those things.
__________________
-
-
-

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline  
Old 05-31-2016, 02:24 PM   #5220
TrickOrTreater
Samhain
 
TrickOrTreater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
And BayTurtles 2 is...?

I've been reading Marvel pretty much since I could read, and I certainly dont feel the same way. They're movies, not comics, so its hard to directly compare against long-term storytelling spanning decades... but their versions of these heroes and their world is very satisfying to me and rings really true to what's always made them work.

I know this is a TMNT forum, but going super easy on BayTurtles 2 while outright slagging on Marvel Studios feels like a heckuvva double standard.
Yep.

Absolutely hilarious to see someone defend the dumpster fire of an adaptation that is BayTurtles and crap on what Marvel's done.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Some men use knives and guns, but TrickOrTreater is a more dangerous villain. He. Uses. The. TRUTH.
TrickOrTreater is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
bantraximus, cybercubed_smells_bad, ninjaplease, trollimus, weedinfestation


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.