The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2015, 04:11 AM   #5741
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
Oh, I didn't now about the after credit scene either - I'd turned it off so must have missed it!

Dude, if you want to talk about down endings for horror movies, you should see The Mist.

And as for me and latest movies, I've just finished rewatching Lilo & Stitch with the kid sister.
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:39 AM   #5742
B-Man
Hench Mutant
 
B-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
Dude, if you want to talk about down endings for horror movies, you should see The Mist.
You're not kidding One of the great 'F**k You, Audience' endings of our time.

Just came back from a screening of Mulholland Drive. Seen it a few times before but in the theater, it's something else. Once you've figured out the gist of it, it's endlessly fascinating working out all the other little mysteries in it. It's bull that Naomi Watts didn't get Oscar nom'd for it.
__________________


"They were many. But we kicked... We fought well."
B-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:51 AM   #5743
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
Tell me about it, right? Have you ever seen Hellraiser: Inferno? That's another one with an ending that just kicks you right in the balls. I know a lot of Hellraiser fans don't dig Inferno, but it's actually my fave in the franchise. To me, the ending is such a mindf*ck; it scared the crap out of me so much one night that after watching it, I called my Mum up to tell her that I loved her.
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:59 AM   #5744
B-Man
Hench Mutant
 
B-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 406
Holy sh*t. I've only seen the first three but now I HAVE to watch Inferno. That's the best sell for a horror movie I've ever read haha
__________________


"They were many. But we kicked... We fought well."
B-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:19 PM   #5745
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
LOL let me know what you think - you may not find it as scary; I found that it played a lot on my imagination and some pre-existing fears I have, but yeah.

Oh, you have to watch it alone and in the dark as well. For maximum scare-itude!
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:44 PM   #5746
Leo656
Banned
 
Leo656's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: nWo Country
Posts: 27,703
I still have to see any of the Hellraisers past the first one. I have a bunch of 'em, but I'm kind of put-off by the fact that after the second one, they just started sticking the name "Hellraiser" onto any old horror script they had in a drawer. I'm sure they're okay, I just F'n hate when they do that.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:26 AM   #5747
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
I think that Hellraiser: Revelations was far and away the worst - that was one where they literally only made it so that they could hang onto the rights.

What I love about Hellraiser: Inferno (and what a lot of the franchise fans dislike about it) is that it's very different in tone. It's essentially a supernatural noir film; the way they use Pinhead in the movie is very very different. I think that when we've got Pinhead walking down the street just blowing sh*t up (like in Hellraiser 3) or when we've got the DJ Cenobite killing people by shooting cds at them (again, see Hellraiser 3), it's not as scary.

With Inferno, they really utilize the Cenobites in a very imaginative way and it's one of those movies where they don't show everything - they'll leave stuff to your imagination, which then makes it ten times scarier.

Some of the other Hellraiser installments - Deader, Hellseeker and Hellworld - were all other horror scripts that were basically rewritten and retrofitted to be Hellraiser movies... I believe something similar was done with Inferno (I have heard that Inferno was actually rewritten from another Clive Barker story and turned into a Hellraiser story based on that) but either way, I just thought it was a really refreshing take.
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:05 AM   #5748
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill
 
Netkeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas, but not for much longer
Posts: 3,645
My dad grabbed the Maze Runner from the redbox today because he knew I wanted to see it.

It was great! I want the sequel, right now!
__________________
Netkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:05 AM   #5749
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
I got a free ticket to see Exodus and figured hey, the subject matter isn't really my thing, but I dearly love anything to do with ancient Egypt so surely there will be something to enjoy. Well, I just got home from watching it - what an absolute piece of crap. Whitewashed, formulaic, overly long, clunky, terribly-acted, sexist, xenophobic, badly written, insulting monument to Hollywood blockbuster idiocy.

This movie didn't know if it wanted to be a religious, historical or action film, and so it just decides it'd suck at all three. Instead, we get a historically inaccurate film with boring action sequences that is mostly too embarrassed to mention anything about the Christian religion, and fails to mention the Egyptian gods at all.

I'm actually going to come out and say it's one of the worst things I have ever seen. It sucked so badly, if there were actually a way for something to fail at failing, it would have done that too. Sticking needles through my urethra would've been less painful than sitting through this.
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 01:17 AM   #5750
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
The Voices with Ryan Reynolds and Anna Kendrick. Messed up flick...
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 05:33 AM   #5751
B-Man
Hench Mutant
 
B-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The Voices with Ryan Reynolds and Anna Kendrick. Messed up flick...
Is it good though? I wanna see it, despite it's horrible trailer.

Just saw Kingsman: The Secret Service. It's somehow crazier than Kick-Ass (though nowhere near as good). Has a really good sequence taking place in/outside a church. The finale is a mess but that aside it's a fun flick.
__________________


"They were many. But we kicked... We fought well."
B-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:36 PM   #5752
THGhost
Puppet Master
 
THGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 2,825
Blood: The Last Vampire, both the 45 min Anime film and the 90 min live-action remake back-to-back.

The Anime I would recommend. The remake, not so much.

pennydreadful: I don't even understand how you could possibly sit through the Hellraiser movies. I had to watch the first one twice until I learned to like it, got 45 mins into the second one and turned it off.
__________________
-
-
-

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:01 PM   #5753
NinjaPug
Foot Elite
 
NinjaPug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,390
I freaking loved John Wick.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #5754
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
pennydreadful: I don't even understand how you could possibly sit through the Hellraiser movies. I had to watch the first one twice until I learned to like it, got 45 mins into the second one and turned it off.
I think Clive Barker is one of those things where you either love him, or you don't... and there's like, no middle ground.

To be fair, the way you feel about Hellraiser, I feel about most modern horror (like Hostel and Saw and Paranormal Activity). Fun fact - I couldn't even sit through all of Paranormal Activity - I got bored and fast-forwarded through the rest of the movie after 25 minutes of nothing happening except people in a room talking. I've never been even remotely tempted to check out any of the others.
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:25 PM   #5755
B-Man
Hench Mutant
 
B-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 406
Penny, I watched Hellraiser: Inferno. Yeah... it definitely left a bad taste in the mouth (especially once you've figured out whats going on - *shudder*). Now I kinda wanna watch the others to see how you top that level of darkness
__________________


"They were many. But we kicked... We fought well."
B-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:01 PM   #5756
THGhost
Puppet Master
 
THGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 2,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
I think Clive Barker is one of those things where you either love him, or you don't... and there's like, no middle ground.

To be fair, the way you feel about Hellraiser, I feel about most modern horror (like Hostel and Saw and Paranormal Activity). Fun fact - I couldn't even sit through all of Paranormal Activity - I got bored and fast-forwarded through the rest of the movie after 25 minutes of nothing happening except people in a room talking. I've never been even remotely tempted to check out any of the others.
Watch Paranormal Activity 2, that's the only one worth watching.

Speaking of modern horror, what do you think of the Poltergeist remake? I think it looks pretty decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
I freaking loved John Wick.
As did I! I also watched Big Hero 6 before Blood and I freaking loved that too.
__________________
-
-
-

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:24 PM   #5757
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Man View Post
Penny, I watched Hellraiser: Inferno. Yeah... it definitely left a bad taste in the mouth (especially once you've figured out whats going on - *shudder*). Now I kinda wanna watch the others to see how you top that level of darkness
Oh, it can't be topped. I'm gonna go out on a heretical limb here and say it's actually the best movie in the whole franchise.

A lot of Hellraiser fans absolutely loathe Inferno, but really - Pinhead has the exact same amount of screentime that he does in the first one, and honestly, how many movies can you watch Pinhead chasing Kirsty around for? I prefer to see Pinhead kicking people's asses, torturing them physically and mentally, rather than getting schmucked about by the same girl over and over again.

Pinhead has all eternity - he can wait 20 or 30 years and then come back and ruin Kirsty's life later.

If you want to watch another movie with an ending that gives you something to think about, try Ripper: Letter From Hell (released in 2001). I've seen that movie more times than I can count and I still can't figure out the ending.

Plus it has a good soundtrack and a cute redhead as the lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
Watch Paranormal Activity 2, that's the only one worth watching.

Speaking of modern horror, what do you think of the Poltergeist remake? I think it looks pretty decent.
Honestly, I haven't seen it. I tend to be a bit of a hardass when it comes to horror remakes... mostly owing to not having been impressed by the vast majority of the "big" remakes I've seen, like Nightmare on Elm Street, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Hitcher, House of Wax, Friday the 13th, Carrie... don't even get me started on the Fright Night remake - I could b*tch about it for the next ten years and still have rant left over. Too many disappointments have turned me into a crusty old elitist.

Though I will give Rob Zombie props for what he did with Halloween... but yeah, I'm a horror snob. They can have my Universal Monsters box set when they pry it from my cold dead hands, I say!
__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:27 PM   #5758
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 26,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Man View Post
Is it good though? I wanna see it, despite it's horrible trailer.
I'd recommend it just for his pets.
__________________

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:38 PM   #5759
THGhost
Puppet Master
 
THGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 2,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
Oh, it can't be topped. I'm gonna go out on a heretical limb here and say it's actually the best movie in the whole franchise.

A lot of Hellraiser fans absolutely loathe Inferno, but really - Pinhead has the exact same amount of screentime that he does in the first one, and honestly, how many movies can you watch Pinhead chasing Kirsty around for? I prefer to see Pinhead kicking people's asses, torturing them physically and mentally, rather than getting schmucked about by the same girl over and over again.

Pinhead has all eternity - he can wait 20 or 30 years and then come back and ruin Kirsty's life later.

If you want to watch another movie with an ending that gives you something to think about, try Ripper: Letter From Hell (released in 2001). I've seen that movie more times than I can count and I still can't figure out the ending.

Plus it has a good soundtrack and a cute redhead as the lead.



Honestly, I haven't seen it. I tend to be a bit of a hardass when it comes to horror remakes... mostly owing to not having been impressed by the vast majority of the "big" remakes I've seen, like Nightmare on Elm Street, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Hitcher, House of Wax, Friday the 13th, Carrie... don't even get me started on the Fright Night remake - I could b*tch about it for the next ten years and still have rant left over. Too many disappointments have turned me into a crusty old elitist.

Though I will give Rob Zombie props for what he did with Halloween... but yeah, I'm a horror snob. They can have my Universal Monsters box set when they pry it from my cold dead hands, I say!
I haven't seen either versions of The Hitcher or House of Wax, or the Carrie remake yet, but I liked all those other remakes you mentioned. Especially the Fright Night remake.

I also really liked the Evil Dead remake, way more than I thought I would too.

I frickin' hate the Rob Zombie Halloweens. He ruined them if you ask me.
__________________
-
-
-

1990 > OotS > TMNT 2014 > Turtles Forever > TMNT III > SotO > TMNT 2007

"Can't we all just get along?" - pennydreadful

"...bitchy people are what make fan forums insufferable when they don't need to be." - B-Man

"Act like freakin' adults for goodness sake." - Jester

"Tough guys with tiny voices." - Commenter 42
THGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:03 PM   #5760
pennydreadful
trash
 
pennydreadful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,546
.... take thy beak from out my heart and take thy form from off my door!!!




Quoth the raven: Bad remakes galore.

__________________


Creator of the Technodrome After Dark Discussion Group. PM for an invite (must be over 18 - no exceptions).
pennydreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
movies


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.