The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Did you enjoy TMNT?
A+ this was an awesome movie 87 41.63%
A It was really good 64 30.62%
B pretty good movie 43 20.57%
C eh it is ok but I like the older ones better 8 3.83%
D Disapointing I didn't really think it was all good 3 1.44%
E Terrible. Disgusting. worst movie of 2007 3 1.44%
I am not going to see this movie. Don't like CGI or ninja turtles. 1 0.48%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2007, 09:24 PM   #601
Ra
It's my desire?
 
Ra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: In your pants.
Posts: 4,441
Well, it's been long over due, but I've finally seen the movie. And you know what?

It.

Totally.

ROCKED!!

I'm serious! It's been worth my ridiculously extended wait. If I could die today, I will die happy. I have seen something truly remarkable, and I know it. The fine details in the movie just made me grin, and I couldn't see any mistakes what-so-ever. I'm sure everyone who's worked on this movie went over it with a fine toothed comb to make sure it looked perfect for the fans. My only disappointment is that it felt like it needed to be a bit longer, but oh well. I got enough of a high from it to run out of the cinema screaming "I LOVE BEING A TURTLE FAN!!, so it has to be good at some point. I'll suggest the movie to any kids, turtle fans, or fans of CGI. I'm not to sure about people who aren't fans of the TMNT, but I'm sure they will enjoy the movie on some level.

My hats off to the people behind making this great movie. You too, Kevin A+ from me!
__________________

"So. The whole lot of you against little old me? How retarded."
Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:44 PM   #602
Dragon Turtle
Stone Warrior
 
Dragon Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Standing behind you.
Posts: 776
My grade: B

I have to say I really enjoyed the movie, best comicbook movie of the
year so far(better then any comicbook movie released last year for that
matter).


The animation was very impressive, espicially given the time and financial
constraints, not to mention this was Imagi's first theatrical release.

The subplot with Leo and Raph was well done, their fight scene was
easily the best setpiece of the movie.

I personally have no problem with the monster plot in itself other then it felt
underdeveloped, but I was kinda expecting that after I heard the runtime
for this movie was only around eighty minutes.

Some of the problems I felt that the movie had was of course not
enough Donatello and Mikey, especially when you already have a
built in plot device in the monsters. While Leo and Raph are off pounding
each other into mush, Donny and Mikey could have been dealing the monsters,
giving them more face time and adding more depth to the main plot.

While I agree with the decision not to go with Shredder as the main
villain, I would have liked it if they had started the movie off with
a "final battle" between the turtles and Shredder(forgetting the lame
death from the second movie).

As for the Villains in this movie, Karai needed much more development
then what she got, perhaps more then other character outside of the
four turtles. Max Winters was nicely done, but since he was not really
a villain, more attention should have been given to the generals,at least
General Aguila.


And I too will have to join others in saying that I was not a big fan of
the human designs by Jeff Matsuda.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

True, which is why it's sad this opportunity was thblown. The best thing that could happen to TMNT before this movie was made was a good, long lull period. Say, 10 years. No cartoons, no toys, no TMNT socks or backpacks, nothing but maybe the Mirage comics anywhere in the media. Let a good generation or two pass, and let folks and the media forget about that stuff. Then BOOM, come out of left field with a proper, edgy PG-13 comic book adaption.


If not for the cartoon and toys there would not have been a new TMNT
movie(at least not anytime soon), since one of the big reasons for green lighting the new movie was the success of the toyline for the 2003 cartoon.

And no matter how many generations pass, people and the media will
always associate the turtles with merchandising(unfairly) and the 80's cartoon, especially those who prefer the 80's cartoon over the mirage comic.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Now, with this movie sort of bottoming out, even if in 10 years Laird and co. really get serious about making a grassroots, actual comic book adaption film, studios and financiers will laugh and go, "Again? You guys tried that in 2007 and barely broke even!"

I definately can say that the movie performed better then what the WB
execs thought it would do, they basically gave the movie up for dead.
Also, if Warner Bros' keeps pumping out flops like the "The Reaping",
those TMNT numbers start looking better and better.
Dragon Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:12 AM   #603
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,544
Well, I loved the movie. It wasn't the best, but with what it had to work with, it was great.

Also, I think the movie was severely handicapped by WB insisting on a PG movie, instead of letting it become something more raw. And you cant blame this on Kevin Monroe. If I remember correctly, they wanted to do a rated R TMNT at one point. But no one would fund it.

It would be nice to see WB let a sequel come, but this time, just step out of the creation process and allow for a more edgier, adult friendly version.

Also, if WB does decide not to do a sequel, it does not mean that the door is closed indefinitely on the Turtles. Another production company can come and treat the Turtles right!
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:41 AM   #604
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Turtle View Post
If not for the cartoon and toys there would not have been a new TMNT
movie(at least not anytime soon),
Which is really my argument. I'd rather wait for a properly done one than one rushed out to sell toys and cater to pre-teens (even though it's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles).

Look at something like Hellboy. A niche, really almost underground comic with a cult following. Was never really all that popular, probably the comic never did gangbusters in sales, much like the Mirage TMNT comics. Yet, after 2000 and the success of X-Men, movie rights were being bought up like candy, and eventually we got a Hellboy that is nearly frame-for-frame a comic book adaption, toned down a bit to PG-13, but still very much faithful. There's already an animated follow-up that is equally faithful, and a live-action sequel on the way that promises to be also as faithful.

The new PG movie has squandered the opportunity for a cinematic comeback. No financier with half a brain for business is going to fund a sequel when WB passes on a sequel (and they will), whether it's 5 years or 10 years from now... they've tried it now. Didn't work. They won't even care about the "Why" of it -- it's bad business.

Why devote all the manpower and money toward a CGI project that is only going to deliver meager, barely breaking even returns? They'd much sooner put that same money toward some original movie (i.e., a film they themselves own the rights to so that it's 100% profit), probably some other Penguin movie or something.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:02 AM   #605
Warhorse
Emperor
 
Warhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Which is really my argument. I'd rather wait for a properly done one than one rushed out to sell toys and cater to pre-teens (even though it's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles).

Look at something like Hellboy. A niche, really almost underground comic with a cult following. Was never really all that popular, probably the comic never did gangbusters in sales, much like the Mirage TMNT comics. Yet, after 2000 and the success of X-Men, movie rights were being bought up like candy, and eventually we got a Hellboy that is nearly frame-for-frame a comic book adaption, toned down a bit to PG-13, but still very much faithful. There's already an animated follow-up that is equally faithful, and a live-action sequel on the way that promises to be also as faithful.

The new PG movie has squandered the opportunity for a cinematic comeback. No financier with half a brain for business is going to fund a sequel when WB passes on a sequel (and they will), whether it's 5 years or 10 years from now... they've tried it now. Didn't work. They won't even care about the "Why" of it -- it's bad business.

Why devote all the manpower and money toward a CGI project that is only going to deliver meager, barely breaking even returns? They'd much sooner put that same money toward some original movie (i.e., a film they themselves own the rights to so that it's 100% profit), probably some other Penguin movie or something.
And you need to stop being so negative and bringing this forum down. You come across as very argumentive, and to the point of possibly getting some threads closed. Keep it up, and they jsut might do that, unless that's what you want.

And for the record, the 2k3 toon is one of the best animated events I have ever seen. I'm glad they didn't keep the Turtles dormant. They will always be here, always. Get used to it. You can b!tch and cry all you want, it's not going to erase the Turtles out of existence.

And you are really coming across as a TROLL! You dont contribute anything positive on this forum.

The Turtles will be back!

Last edited by Warhorse; 05-07-2007 at 08:13 AM.
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:19 AM   #606
Dragon Turtle
Stone Warrior
 
Dragon Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Standing behind you.
Posts: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Which is really my argument. I'd rather wait for a properly done one than one rushed out to sell toys and cater to pre-teens (even though it's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles).

Look at something like Hellboy. A niche, really almost underground comic with a cult following. Was never really all that popular, probably the comic never did gangbusters in sales, much like the Mirage TMNT comics. Yet, after 2000 and the success of X-Men, movie rights were being bought up like candy, and eventually we got a Hellboy that is nearly frame-for-frame a comic book adaption, toned down a bit to PG-13, but still very much faithful. There's already an animated follow-up that is equally faithful, and a live-action sequel on the way that promises to be also as faithful.
Other then Helllboy, how many other smaller independent comics have been
made into major movies? There are no guarantee's (even if a studio picks up
the rights to movie) that movie will be made. The whole comicbook to
movie adaption process is an utter crap shoot.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

The new PG movie has squandered the opportunity for a cinematic comeback. No financier with half a brain for business is going to fund a sequel when WB passes on a sequel (and they will), whether it's 5 years or 10 years from now... they've tried it now. Didn't work. They won't even care about the "Why" of it -- it's bad business.

Here's the thing about WB, they expected this movie to flop(making about
8-12 mil opening weeked), thus they did not bother to promote the movie.
Yet in a crowed market place, TMNT opened at #1, knocking off 300. Internally WB knows this. They also found out that there are people
over the age of twelve who were interested in TMNT, something
that didn't occur to them before. If anything TMNT strengthend the argument for a PG-13 movie. And most importantly, it still made a profit
(no matter how small).


As it stands right now TMNT is a bigger success then Hellboy, which was
produced at 66 mil, (not counting the marketing budget) it only made 59 mil
domestically and 99 mil worldwide. I would say that from a financial standpoint, Hellboy was a flop and Columbia agreed
and dropped the franchise, yet still another studio (Universal Pictures) picked it up, why? Because it still turned a profit.
And ask yourself this, who's happier with their movie, WB with TMNT? New Line with The Last Mimzy? Paramont with Shooter? or Dimension with Grindhouse?




Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Why devote all the manpower and money toward a CGI project that is only going to deliver meager, barely breaking even returns? They'd much sooner put that same money toward some original movie (i.e., a film they themselves own the rights to so that it's 100% profit), probably some other Penguin movie or something.
Desparation, a lack of ideas, Hollywood execs thinking they're smarter then
other Hollywood execs, there are many reason why studios return to movies
that barely break even.
Dragon Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:05 AM   #607
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
And for the record, the 2k3 toon is one of the best animated events I have ever seen.
Agreed, the 4Kids show is the best thing to happen to TMNT in a long time. It's amazing how much they were able to adapt from the Mirage issues with minimal concessions.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:25 PM   #608
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 34,384
Here's a question: What is the new movie called in Europe and other parts? Is it "TMHT" or "TMNT"?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:11 PM   #609
Swany
Stone Warrior
 
Swany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Near Glasgow. Scotland
Posts: 924
Im scotland its "TMNT"

That was something I wondered before It came out, if it would be TMNT of TMHT.

The cinema had it listed at TMNT:Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
so it was REALLY obvious.

But, im pretty sure its TMNT everywhere.
__________________

Last edited by Swany; 05-07-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Swany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:14 AM   #610
Zelda
Hench Mutant
 
Zelda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 364
I think his acting was fine, but something in the timber of the voice sounded 'really' off to me....I found it really distracting as well. And agreed about the shoulder pads. The writing and inflection were great, the rest was kinda off....face looked weird.

I do appreciate that he actually had a REAL Japanese accent ;p
__________________
~Zelda~

Author of Judgment: Volume I
http://www.myspace.com/zellieberraine
Inspired by what I love best about TMNT: character dynamics, superheroes that aren't of the Superman variety, genetics, etc
Zelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:49 AM   #611
Mandi-chan
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 932
I liked it, but not as much as Kevin's Splinter. I needed to get used to it, that's all.

I love Mako's acting, I just needed to get used to him as Splinter.
Mandi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:38 PM   #612
aabxx
Thug
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 51
He did (RIP) a really different Splinter compared to what we are used to but I loved it. Brilliant performance.

Actually all the voices worked out surprisingly well. I was worried about Gellar in particular and even though the character of April was not my favourite portrayal Gellar pulled off the voice work surprisingly well. I didn't sit their thinking it was Buffy talking and that's a job well done!
aabxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:36 AM   #613
Nostalgia82
Thug
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 76
I think Splinters Best voise was the one they used in the origional TMNT cartoon. It sounded wise yet warm. This was just...not it
__________________
Check out my Vintage Toy Sale All MOC/MIB of coarse, enjoy

http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/olisquall/
Nostalgia82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:43 AM   #614
jenna
Mad Scientist
 
jenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swany View Post
Im scotland its "TMNT"

That was something I wondered before It came out, if it would be TMNT of TMHT.

The cinema had it listed at TMNT:Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
so it was REALLY obvious.

But, im pretty sure its TMNT everywhere.
Yeah in England it's just TMNT. Definitely no more of the TMHT sh*t. That was gone by 2k3 series.
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:53 AM   #615
Scandia
Mad Scientist
 
Scandia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,265
A+ Totally awesome! I would have gone to the theater to watch it a second time, but I'm too stingy to do so. When it comes out on DVD, I will definitely be checking it out from the library I work at as soon as possible.
Scandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:50 AM   #616
dj mav
Random Punk
 
dj mav's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: pensacola, fl
Posts: 29
great movie, just waiting for the dvd now.
__________________
dj mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:33 AM   #617
RaphaelsOnlyGirl
Foot Soldier
 
RaphaelsOnlyGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 105
This is my favorite movie ever. Raphael/Nightwatcher was especially AMAZING. I didn't really like Splinter's voice though, it seemed a little to rough for him. I really really hope they make a sequal!!
RaphaelsOnlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:45 AM   #618
magidkaiser
Foot Soldier
 
magidkaiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 151
nice movie !but not the best !!live action was better ..
__________________
magidkaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:51 AM   #619
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission
 
Spike Spiegel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: At my desk drawing something
Posts: 2,365
I just saw this movie yesterday. I thought that it was pretty good, but there was room for improvement. My mom went with me and she slept through like 85 percent of the film. It felt more like an episode of the cartoon than a movie, but they had to do SOMETHING to revitalize the TMNT in cinema. Now what I want to see next is a return to the urban awesomeness of New York City that was so dominant in the original movies and the 1980s and 2k3 cartoons.

Hopefully, "City at War" will be the next plot line. If there is a sequel, that is.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:43 PM   #620
Shellsweet
Foot Soldier
 
Shellsweet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sewers of South Carolina. :P
Posts: 126
I give it a A+ I enjoyed It Alot! I went on the first day with my family then went sometime in apirl with my Friend.
__________________
Check me out on DeviantART and Tumblr!:
www.shellsweet.deviantart.com/
http://www.shellsweet.tumblr.com/

Ask me about Commissions!
Shellsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.